PDA

View Full Version : 6 questions for the blacktail gurus

CSG
02-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Really getting into the blacktail thing since I got my first one last year. Been out a couple times looking for a spot for this year and I think I have found what I am looking for. Its a small area but there is one spot where the sign is thick, couple beds, lots of scat and 23 rubs in a 45 yard section of a game trail with rubs here and there leading into it. About 1/3rd of those rubs are pre 2013 so I feel like I am onto a good area. Also the 3x3 I got last year was about a click away.

Of course the more I am getting into the blacktail thing the more questions I have. I have a book on blacktail hunting in the mail but I thought I would see if anyone here can answer some questions while I wait for it to arrive.

#1-What time of year do coastal blacktails drop their antlers?

#2-Do blacktails drop their antlers near where they rubbed in the fall?

#3-Do they knock them off or do they fall? If they knock them off, do you look under big trees? little trees? thick stuff? out in the open?

#4-Do blacktails use the same bed every night if not disturbed? or will they rotate between a couple?

#5-I have read that some resident blacktails will inhabit a very small 2 square KM area most of their lives, how true is this for our coastal blacktails?

#6-Would all 15 odd rubs I found in the same area from 2013 be from 1 buck or multiple?

These things are addictive!

Thanks in advance

quadrakid
02-08-2014, 10:12 PM
they drop them from dec through jan into feb ,they fall off as far as I know,blacktails where I am live their lives in a very small area,they change where they bed,or at least how they approach their bedding area,they are not as patternable as other deer species,enjoy the sickness,

bc_buckshot
02-08-2014, 10:24 PM
#1- normaly depends on the weather late january to end of febuary they drop there antler.
#2- they drop there antler where ever they please. There isnt a answer because at any time when they there horns get weak they fall, or brush against something and fall or they run and from hopping they fall.
#3- same with queation 2
#4 Because deer have a range of areas if areas are untouched by people, prey, and weather generally deer are in the same area. Might not be in the exact spot you saw it this morning bedding from with if you saw it in the evening. Unless a deer goes to an area it doesnt get pushed out, they can go anywhere they please.
#5- book about deer are good but the minute you read a book about deer that deer already switched it up and make you suprised. Its not rocket science with deer or hunting deer. You would be suprised how similar deer are with humans. Like us, deer need food, water, saftey, and shade. If the area doesnt satisfy what they need they will move on. Just like you would.
#6- those 15 rubs you found might, might not be from the same buck year after year. More likey it could be if he wassnt pushed out or in a good area. Bucks to battle for mate and territory. I have a area that i believe is same buck 3 years in a row and that rub i wouldnt be suprised is over 4x4 because how much damage and the area of the 4 trees set together he damaged. Unless you have trail cam or ask the buck if they did that rub, you wont know

hunter1947
02-09-2014, 05:58 AM
#1 Late Feb into March..

#2 Sometimes and no they drop them where ever..

#3 Trees yes or other could be when they are bedding they will drop.

#4 I have seen them use the same bed in the summer months not so much in the winter months if deer get pushed out of there bedding area they will not come back to the same bedding spot will find other..

#5 Yes will stay around the same are in the summer months but when rut time comes they will move looking for does ,,example on a WT deer not the same species but a WT deer last year that I got on my trial cam all summer long was shot late Nov 6kl from where the deer was visiting my trail cam baiting station on a regular base was shot by another hunter late in Nov when the rut was on..

#6 Done from multiple bucks..

CSG
02-09-2014, 09:15 AM
awesome guys, love hearing all about this stuff. thanks

oscar makonka
02-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Black tails that live in the alpine in the summer will move or migrate down when the heavy snow falls come winter. So if your hunting high country early season black tails they probably won't be there when the snow flies.

Jim Prawn
02-09-2014, 11:23 AM
#1) Right about now. Have seen bucks over the last week both with and without antlers.
#2) Not likely. In the rut the bucks will move down where the does are then after its over they will move back up into the dark timber
#3) Have seen bucks rub there antlers off and have seen them just fall off while they run away. Could be anywhere!
#4 &5) Summer and early season BTs are the most predictable and you may find them in the same bed or close to it at about the same time of day on subsequent days. Shortly into hunting season, they get WEIRD. The more hunting/predator pressure = more unpredictable & bigger range.
#6) If you are seeing rubs on the same tree year after year, I believe it is likely from the same buck. That many rubs on different trees in a small area I would say you have multiple bucks competing (must be lots of does around?) Sounds like an ideal spot to set up a trail cam and leave it for the whole upcoming season. That will give you the real answers.
Good Luck, only 6-1/2 months to go!
JP

CSG
02-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Went into the spot today and setup a trail cam which is a first for me. A buddy of mine suggested throwing down some feed to attract the deer so I hauled a whole square bale of hay almost 2 clicks into the bush, probably wont do that again haha. If I get any action I will post it up on

Anyone have any other advice on finding sheds? Walking through the old growth on the way in and out of this spot there is so much area and its all steep, I come across obvious game trails but they never seem to last more than 20 yards before they disappear, these animals are ghosts. Guess I will just hope that I get lucky and stumble across some sheds