PDA

View Full Version : Prov. Moose pop. way down

pete_k
02-08-2014, 12:58 PM
Here is an article from the PG Citizen.
Any ideas what could be affecting the numbers so drasticly?
Hunting, Road strikes and poaching are all fairly constant numbers.
Coyote, wolf and bear pops may be on the rise which can increase calf mortality

Overall, I think it's obvious the problem is the cow calf season. Just frikin ridiculous to have a season like that.
I hope the study looks into this as well. They should discontinue that season immediately.

Here is a link to the article:
Province to probe moose death mystery
February 6, 2014

Frank PEEBLES
Citizen staff
fpeebles@pgcitizen.ca

The provincial government is initiating a study to find out what might be killing thousands of B.C. moose at an unsustainable rate.
"The study will engage 11 wildlife biologists, one wildlife veterinarian and several other staff over its five-year duration," said a Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations statement Wednesday. "Over 200 moose will be radio collared, their movements tracked and all mortalities will be investigated to determine cause of death."
There will be five study areas: northwest of Kamloops, west of 100 Mile House in the vicinity of Big Creek Provincial Park, the northern bulk of Tweedsmuir Park, from Prince George to Francois Lake, and from Prince George to Stuart / Babine Lakes.
The problem was pinpointed a few years ago by the province's staff of wildlife biologists, with significant input by Prince George-based Doug Heard. According to provincial data, in 1998 and 2005 the moose numbers in the Omineca area were about 20,000 but the numbers have plummeted to about 10,000 now. Major hunting curtailments were implemented at different spots in the province.
"I don't think hunting caused this, but we are not going to have hunting accentuate it," said Heard. "This is not a catastrophe but we want to get on it before it becomes one."
The Spruce City Wildlife Association grabbed the issue by the antlers last year with a provincial symposium held in Prince George. Although the group is populated by many avid hunters, it was decidedly in favour of protective measures, as well as a scientific investigation of the issue.
"We do feel we've had a fair bit of impact on this," said association president Jim Glaicar, also the Omineca region's president of the pro-hunter BC Wildlife Federation. Hunting is poorly served by dwindling wildlife, he said, and part of hunting's appeal is a hands-on appreciation for the ecosystem.
"The government has absolutely stepped up and addressed the problem. We certainly appreciate that they are putting resources to this. All too often the government takes it on the chin for their decisions but in this case, they took the concerns seriously and are taking the appropriate steps with a science-based effort and in a collaborative way."
Glaicar said the collaboration has some key features. One is the open line of communication that has formed between the association and a deputy minister involved in the issue, and the other is inviting the group to play a role in the data gathering. Spruce City Wildlife has partnered with UNBC and the North-Central Guide Outfitters Association to do a different study alongside the radio collar main initiative by government.
The group is even investing its own money in this project, to the tune of $10,000 per year over five years. "We will do a predator scat analysis program in moose calving areas," said Glaicar. "That is a done deal, the funding is in place. The results will be shared with the local biologists here."
Spruce City Wildlife is also asking for a grant towards another companion study. This one, should funding be obtained, would get personal with the moose. Researchers would do a series of focus sessions following one moose (a different moose each session) for a 24-hour period to learn the details of its daily activities, and add that data to the general information obtained from the 200 with radio collars.
"It's an exciting time," said Glaicar.
To raise money for these initiatives, SCWF is holding a number of events. The main fundraiser confirmed so far is their annual banquet and auction event happening March 22. Tickets are on sale now at Northern Hardware. Special guests this year are T.J. Schwanky and Vanessa Harrop, writers and television co-hosts of the Outdoor Quest program seen in Canada and the U.S. on outdoor recreation channels

BCrams
02-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Overall, I think it's obvious the problem is the cow calf season. Just frikin ridiculous to have a season like that.
I hope the study looks into this as well. They should discontinue that season immediately.

There's already plenty of scientific evidence calf season's have negligible impacts. Most folks in the know, (including Jim) knows this. An aggressive 'cow' season or cow harvest however can have some impacts on populations.

tinhorse
02-08-2014, 01:51 PM
It is a combination of "everything" with some bad timing. Unfortunately it is not just one thing. If it were, they would change it and populations would rebound. But because we have/had the cow season, combined with the beetle kill and less timbered area/better access and with the increased wolf populations, it has all accumulated to be quite devastating all at once. Now hopefully we have some colder late snow so the tick problems are minimal in the spring......

Cordillera
02-09-2014, 12:39 PM
There is a proposal to reduce calf harvest to a youth and seniors only hunt for next season. Cow harvest was already drastically cut back. As noted the science indicates that because most calves will die over the winter anyway, a calf harvest has little or no impact on long term population. However, because it could be a bunch of things that contributed to the decline, I think a reduced calf harvest can contribute to recovery.

Sofa King
02-09-2014, 12:43 PM
There is a proposal to reduce calf harvest to a youth and seniors only hunt for next season. Cow harvest was already drastically cut back. As noted the science indicates that because most calves will die over the winter anyway, a calf harvest has little or no impact on long term population. However, because it could be a bunch of things that contributed to the decline, I think a reduced calf harvest can contribute to recovery.

that doesn't even make sense.
if less animals die, then the #'s have to be higher.

GoatGuy
02-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Here is an article from the PG Citizen.
Any ideas what could be affecting the numbers so drasticly?
Hunting, Road strikes and poaching are all fairly constant numbers.

The road density has probably doubled or tripled in areas with salvage logging. Increased access = increased harvest when it comes to poaching or FN. It is not a 'constant'.

Coyote, wolf and bear pops may be on the rise which can increase calf mortality

Increased access has also demonstrated increased predation. To have a decline of 50% in 7 years, you have to be killing cows off as well as calves.

The cow moose harvest has been between 400-600 since the 70s. Of an estimated moose population of ~40,000 pre hunt (2008), a harvest of 400 cows represents a harvest rate of ~ 1-1.5%. It is insignificant in the big picture. The change in population in 7a didn't happen until the last 5-7 years (after 40 years of harvesting 400-600 cows annually). So, the regulated cow harvest is 'relatively constant'.

In region 5, where they've had the same decline in moose numbers there is no cow or calf season.

In region 3 where they've seen the same decline there is no substantial cow/calf season.

Engage the critical thinking skills here folks.

BCrams
02-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Yet in region 7a - calf season is the problem and solution to the problem lol.

What we're going to see is a slow increase in moose numbers in certain areas of 7a but it will not be because we closed the calf season but rather, the forest growth steadily provides an increase of feed and cover for moose in the mpb harvest areas. What are populations doing from those MUs that had mpb vs MU that had less mpb harvesting. Such as those with more diverse forest structure (spruce, fir) versus those of largely pine.

Of course other issues such as predators having an influence.

two-feet
02-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Its too bad that even with good, scientific data people refuse to see the light. The smoking gun is not the calf harvest! Or the cow LEH! Or FN hunting! Or evil wolves suddenly having a population explosion for no reason!

The massive salvage logging follwing the pine beetle has changed the ecology of the central interior. Some thing we know, such as the spider web of logging roads has left no safe place for the moose from preds, both 2 and 4 legged. Better access for wolves means healthy, well fed pups. Want less wolves? Lets push for their highways (logging roads) to be deactivated. Warmer winters and increased WT deer pops have led to an infestation of ticks.

Some things we are still guessing at until the science comes in. How is the changing water table going to affect the moose? Is nature pushing them back to their historical ranges? Are other diseases killing them?

I am encouraged that the provincial govt seems to care and other groups are getting involved. Looking forward to seeing what they find out in the collaring program as well as the other studys.

E.B.
02-09-2014, 02:41 PM
For 5 years only immature bulls should be open. Nothing else period. Shooting any females makes no sense at all and this should include native hunters as well. Just my opinion.

moosinaround
02-09-2014, 03:07 PM
All the stars aligned, MPB, ticks, poaching, predators, mobile back country recreation, resource extraction, un regulated harvests, all this has had an impact! I never used trail cameras till 2 years ago. I have seen hunters pattern individual moose and go in and kill that exact moose! So technology is a factor too! Let's let science guide our decisions for ALL resource users, and leave the political bull$hit to the beer taverns!! Moosin

HarryToolips
02-09-2014, 05:12 PM
For 5 years only immature bulls should be open. Nothing else period. Shooting any females makes no sense at all and this should include native hunters as well. Just my opinion.

Yup...should be the same for everyone period...