PDA

View Full Version : what does big horn taste like

cole97
02-06-2014, 05:27 PM
I have a friend bringing me some bighorn steaks and hamburger looking for some advice how to cook it probably
going up next season with my family to Lillooet on 3-32 for full curl rams haven't hunted there need some advice new to that area

monasheemountainman
02-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Good luck, hope you get some advice and a ram!

Rob
02-06-2014, 05:55 PM
We got a stone last year and My wife and I think its the best meat we've had yet. Me for sure anyways

hawk-i
02-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Good luck on your hunt...IMO, it as all game meats is best served rare...3/4"- 1" chops should be 2min, 2min, 1min, 1min in a med/high oiled cast pan.

GoatGuy
02-06-2014, 06:19 PM
great stuff........

OutWest
02-06-2014, 06:30 PM
I heard it tastes like duck..

twanger
02-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Bighorn tastes like shit, but the rest of the animal is tasty :wink:.

avadad
02-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Good luck on your hunt...IMO, it as all game meats is best served rare...3/4"- 1" chops should be 2min, 2min, 1min, 1min in a med/high oiled cast pan.

Good advice. No need to kill it twice. Over cook any game meat and you might as well eat your boots! BTW I like to use butter in my cast pans.

BiG Boar
02-06-2014, 11:08 PM
I don't know what it tastes like, but I intend to find out this year.

250 sav
02-06-2014, 11:20 PM
sept till mid oct, its good but once it gets horned up for breding it tends to have strong smell when being cooked.

BCbillies
02-07-2014, 12:36 AM
If it's anything like a Stones for taste I want a piece of it . . . the time has come to pursue the thicker horn! :)

Springer
02-07-2014, 04:26 AM
I shot mine late October and to be honest it the worst tasting Big Game i have ever tried, Even the jerky was inedible. It was a quick kill, quartered ,cooled and hung for a week FYI.
I will give it another try if its an early season Ram...all the Hype of it being the best tasting meat does not get my approval.

bighornbob
02-07-2014, 10:04 AM
all the Hype of it being the best tasting meat does not get my approval.

I would second that.

I have never heard a guy that got a stone say it was bad, the same cant be said about a bighorn. Had it twice from kills of my own and a good buddy got one in the rockies a few years ago and we would both agree with springer. Never had the pleasure to try the one from this year, maybe that's the only good thing that happened on that hunt:)

BHB

newhunterette
02-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Sorry Springer and BHB that your experience with big horn meat being unpalatable to you. Stone, Big Horn, Goat are among some of the top of the list game meats for being tasty. Maybe because I look at as how much effort it takes and in some cases years and money to ever get one, that the meat is that much richer to me. But everytime I have ever been asked to cook it, I have never had a complaint.

VLD43
02-07-2014, 10:50 AM
I have had both Bighorn and Thinhorn. They are both very good IMO. One of the ways I have prepared Bighorn, is to cube the meat and put it in a ziplock bag with a combination of olive oil and greek spice from Costco to maranate. After about two hours, I remove from ziplock and cook to medium rare in a skillet. Once done, I plate and eat with some Tzatzike sause. Very tastey

avadad
02-07-2014, 11:43 AM
I shot mine late October and to be honest it the worst tasting Big Game i have ever tried, Even the jerky was inedible. It was a quick kill, quartered ,cooled and hung for a week FYI.
I will give it another try if its an early season Ram...all the Hype of it being the best tasting meat does not get my approval.

That's a bummer. How is antelope? It's a species on my bucket list.

Patman7
02-07-2014, 12:41 PM
I have hunted & harvested both Bighorn & Stones sheep. The bighorn lived in sage country & was edible, but if you even got a little bit of fat in your mouth from the meat, you would spit it right out. On the other hand, the stone was superb!

Pat

Springer
02-07-2014, 01:24 PM
That's a bummer. How is antelope? It's a species on my bucket list.

To be honest Antelope when treated in the field right is my favourite Big Game. We quarter and cool it right away , not much there but its awesome eating.

Blockcaver
02-07-2014, 07:01 PM
My two Colorado bighorns were both great, especially cooked to medium rare on a very hot grill. Now my Nevada desert ram was skinny and barely edible. Both Colorado goats were tough as a boot, but with good flavor. Antelope from Colorado and Wyoming varied from mostly great to poor (about 2 of 12 if I remember right), all cared for the same by my wife and I......get the hide off & cool it down ASAP, debone the meat and get rid of all the tallow when we butcher it. With any game meat packaging only red edible meat in vacuum sealed bags has led to great meat for the freezer.

I've not had the pleasure of eating stone sheep steaks yet, but will keep hunting. A Cali or Rocky from BC would be great to try too.

Jim Prawn
02-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Havent YET shot my own, but have had some from 2 Ashnola rams, an Arrow lakes ram, and Kinaskan Stone sheep and all were excellent. All were shot early season.
JP

MtnBoy
02-07-2014, 10:12 PM
I killed an old California Bighorn. It tasted just like my Rocky. They were delicious.

1/2 slam
02-08-2014, 08:42 AM
I would second that.

I have never heard a guy that got a stone say it was bad, the same cant be said about a bighorn. Had it twice from kills of my own and a good buddy got one in the rockies a few years ago and we would both agree with springer. Never had the pleasure to try the one from this year, maybe that's the only good thing that happened on that hunt:)

BHB

X2....My stone was awesome but the bighorn was terrible.

Rackmastr
02-08-2014, 09:38 AM
I've had a few bighorns and liked them quite a bit.

The one I was most worried about was a November 15th ram. Thought it would taste horrible being in the rut as I've heard some horror stories, but being a younger ram it was probably some of the best meat we've ever had.

eaglesnester
02-08-2014, 10:57 AM
I can barely tolerate venison and I can not stand to be in the same place at the same time when someone is cooking mutton without throwing up. Hope big horn sheep do not smell that way when cooking up a couple a steaks or a roast. Now having said that only one person on this post has come close to answering this man's post. "What does big horn sheep taste like?" That poster said it reminded him of duck. Is there anyone out there that can describe the taste, besides saying it is "good". Saying it is "good" did not answer the question.

Rackmastr
02-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Bighorn sheep are not mutton.....thats for damn sure.

Bighorn ewe was some very very good meat no doubt.

cole97
02-08-2014, 02:47 PM
with all game meat you have to trim off the fat or your going to get that bad taste
if your making pepperoni or sausage add pork fat or fall black bear fat feeding on berries
that's how I got the best taste out of my game

Jack Russell
02-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Two cali's, both were the best game meat I"ve had. Even better than elk to me. Really loved roasts with plenty of gravy and pepper and a ton of smashed potatoes. Steaks are terrific. In regards to table fare, its too bad sheep are so small!

Opinionated Ol Phart
02-13-2014, 09:12 PM
30 years ago, I took a bull caribou during the rut. It was in one of the 6pt or better areas. That animal was INEDIBLE !! You could not even make good curry from it, let alone sausage. If I had forever taken that animal as representative of what 'boos were like to eat, I would have missed out on some great meals from other animals. All the same for sheep....
BTW- I once shot a 2 pt in the Charlottes in AUGUST (!), boned it out and sent it south. It was handled properly from the time I shot it, until it was defrosted and eaten. What a disappointment ! ... strong and gamey. Lesson is that sometimes you will get an animal that disappoints .. But dont judge the rest of its relatives on one animal.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Both my bighorns tasted fine.

SSS

JoeJoe
02-28-2014, 09:23 PM
I have killed 8 of them and I wouldn't leave a sliver of meat in the bush. My partner and I ate a whole liver in one sitting on my first full curl. Same day. I think the reason it is so good is because it is boned out before it gets cold. Don't bone it out until you wash your hands after skinning it. You don't want hair or the oil from the hair on the meat. That is what taints meat. There is no better meat.. some might be as good but none better.

jaeger
03-02-2014, 05:57 PM
I have a friend bringing me some bighorn steaks and hamburger looking for some advice how to cook it probably
going up next season with my family to Lillooet on 3-32 for full curl rams haven't hunted there need some advice new to that area

I made a Bighorn sheep Curry out of a hind quarter for our sportsman club Banquet and had rave reviews as well as a Goat stew in a Red Wine sauce fantastic as well. "Goat Bourgignon"

coach
03-02-2014, 09:50 PM
What does this thread have to do with the BCWF??

silvertipp
03-02-2014, 09:55 PM
I have hunted & harvested both Bighorn & Stones sheep. The bighorn lived in sage country & was edible, but if you even got a little bit of fat in your mouth from the meat, you would spit it right out. On the other hand, the stone was superb!

Pat
could,nt agree more

Fosey
03-03-2014, 09:57 AM
I eat alot of bighorn every year and it is all in the way you prepare and cook it. It should be marinated overnight in olive oil, garlic and pepper and then cooked medium rare or less. It is absolutely great and I have had nothing but rave reviews from people. Make a sauce by deglazing the pan with red wine or port, put in some beef bouillon, add some sour cream and blue cheese. This sauce is great. Also try green peppercorn sauce or your own creations.

cole97
03-03-2014, 03:04 PM
I screwed up thats why its in the BCWF

03-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Bighorn tastes like Smallhorn only Bigger.:mrgreen: Thinhorn is real GooD !

CT

walks with deer
01-07-2015, 11:43 PM
What kinda bighorn you looking for...lok

kennyj
01-08-2015, 06:58 AM
Bighorn tastes like shit, but the rest of the animal is tasty :wink:.
LMAO! Good one.
Cal. big horn meat tastes great.
kenny