PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Hunting

Andreas
02-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Myself and a friend are interested in doing some predator hunting after some coyote. Planning to use bait and a call... First off any recommendations on types of calls to use? And does anyone know any good areas to hunt in or near Region 2?

Thanks!

boxhitch
02-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Use a locator howl to find out if they are within ear shot , then get out the bitch-in-heat yodel , its that time of year.
Good luck.

CHEAM
02-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Any Island in the Fraser River that is open to hunting will have coyotes. Check your Fraser Valley map? Some you can drive to this time of year.

Mr. Dean
02-07-2014, 02:17 AM
I use this.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC7547_eweb.jpg

It's an upgrade from the JS Prey Master (which worked wonders too), that I forgot at home.... So when I got to Kamloops, I picked up this Bloodhound.
Mouth calls work too IF you learn how to use 'em properly - I learned basics from a Primo instructional DVD and was able to call 2 yotes in to 35 yards the very next evening.

What you need to ask yourself, is; What's my budget???

bc_buckshot
02-07-2014, 07:40 AM
I use 3 calls and they work well if you know how to use them right. Ki-yi, hot dog, and lil pup from primos. I also use a mojo critter and have had good hunts. All was under $100

Kudu
02-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Fox pro wildfire - female challenge call, female long howl, puppy distress, lightning jack and crows.
Rifle - centre fire 22 (in any of it's many forms) they all work
Shooting sticks - home made (best)
Range finder
Bino's
Warm clothing

For everything else there's - master card - Google earth and back roads map book!

Darksith
02-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Use a locator howl to find out if they are within ear shot , then get out the bitch-in-heat yodel , its that time of year.
Good luck.
its always that time of year for dogs and cats

rocksteady
02-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Calls are used in "lets try here locations", there should be coyotes here...

Bait is used for "Here is a good spot, that I can bring coyotes to, keeping them in the area for a few days, so I can come in and call".... I have used bait that has sat for a week or 10 days without a single track around it, then bingo, its coyote heaven...

jbos
02-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Any Island in the Fraser River that is open to hunting will have coyotes. Check your Fraser Valley map? Some you can drive to this time of year.

What islands on the fraser? The only one i can think of is herrling island but i heard theres no hunting there.

Andreas
02-08-2014, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.

We are new to predator hunting so any helpful tips would be very appreciated.

From what I understand there are pretty much coyotes almost everywhere, but what sort of terrain should I be looking for that would be more conducive for setting up bait and start calling? Is there any general areas within a couple hours drive of the Lower Mainland that are more suitable than others?

Cheers!

Surrey Boy
02-08-2014, 12:37 AM
Couple hours . . . Start heading up the canyon. North of Boston Bar it gets fun.

Drillbit
02-08-2014, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.

We are new to predator hunting so any helpful tips would be very appreciated.

From what I understand there are pretty much coyotes almost everywhere, but what sort of terrain should I be looking for that would be more conducive for setting up bait and start calling? Is there any general areas within a couple hours drive of the Lower Mainland that are more suitable than others?

Cheers!

Be the Coyote.

Pretend you are the coyote and look at where you would be looking for food or hiding. They are always looking for food, look for attractants.

If there are no tracks, and nobody has seen any, chances are very slim.

Dustin0084
02-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Use a fox pro they work awesome I was in alberta and used one for years before coming back to the island works great