PDA

View Full Version : Portal allows the public to search the Gun registry

MRP
02-14-2007, 09:58 PM
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/features/rapidfire/form.html

YOUR TAX $$$,$$$,$$$ AT WORK

brotherjack
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Now that's what you call a real piece of work right there.....

:(

SUAFOYT
02-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Interesting. Tried it out and it does show the firearms as per the criteria entered. No names or place of residence of course. Was this supposed to be part of the deal or what?

brotherjack
02-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Funny how many obvious errors you can spot in there without even trying... A break-action Lee Enfield here, a break-action Remington 740 there. Pure silliness....

brotherjack
02-14-2007, 10:47 PM
LOL... here's an autoloading Remingtion 22 rifle catagorized as a revolver.

boxhitch
02-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Just whats needed - now a Dirtbag can look up the info on the pieces that he/she stole, to see if it was a legally registered firearm, or if they scored a 'holdout' to the Registry. Nice.

pmj
02-15-2007, 02:06 PM
I believe this site belongs to the Ottawa Citizen Newspaper. They obtained the information throught a FOI (Freedom of Information Request). I have not been able to find this same thing of the Canadian Fire Arms Centre site. This really anoyed me when I looked into it. They always said the information was confidential. I don't consider this keeping it confidential. I was wondering in small town how many houses does the first number and letter in a postal code give you? I read that someone at the RCMP decided that giving out the first two from the postal code is not breeching confidentiallity. Who was that person? Also maybe next year they or another person will give out half of the postal code. Call me peranoid but next thing you know they are giving out the whole postal code. There was a reason my grandfather always had a well greased Mosin Nagant hidden in the woods.

TPK
02-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Just great isn't it? The concern for smaller and more remote communities is larger as many are a single Postal Code township. An organized crime ring (or un-organized crime ring, or any "bad guy" for that matter) can hit the site and with a Postal Code, form a shopping list with a fairly high level of certainty where those firearms are with regards to what town they are in. From there, to "glean" the addresses of local rod and gun club members isn't going to be difficult. The scope of their search will narrow with each tid bit of info and thanks to the great start they got from that website, they will soon have what they want. By the way, who are the other three S&W 500 owners here in Quesnel, I see four and I'm one ....?

dirtyharry
02-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Whatever, I looked myself up and they Have my ruger down wrong. It is a Redhawk not a super. That is only one error I found immediately. And yes it's mine I can tell by the registration dates.

sparkymacker
02-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Just great isn't it? The concern for smaller and more remote communities is larger as many are a single Postal Code township. An organized crime ring (or un-organized crime ring, or any "bad guy" for that matter) can hit the site and with a Postal Code, form a shopping list with a fairly high level of certainty where those firearms are with regards to what town they are in. From there, to "glean" the addresses of local rod and gun club members isn't going to be difficult. The scope of their search will narrow with each tid bit of info and thanks to the great start they got from that website, they will soon have what they want. By the way, who are the other three S&W 500 owners here in Quesnel, I see four and I'm one ....?

For that reason exactly many people are very concerned about this reckless act on the part of the Ottawa Citizen. I would encourage everyone to write their MP and Stockwell day expressing your concerns. This was part of a anti-gun series of articles the Ottawa Citizen has been running this week.

browningboy
02-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Oh well, at least the bad guys that look up people will avoid your house!:)

brotherjack
02-15-2007, 11:25 PM
I think the fact that is illegal for the government to keep the contents of the registry private (as evidenced by their rolling over and giving it up to the newspaper in question under the Freedom of Information Act), should be grounds for the destruction of said gun registry as its very existance is in direct violation of the rights of each and every registered gun owner.

troutseeker
02-16-2007, 03:12 AM
What's the big deal, if that is the only data they can mine, it's of little importance... Identity is not revealed, serial numbers are not disclosed, addresses are not posted. Descriptions of rifles and a partial postal code does not make a beach of confidentiallity. This will show how many firearms a registered in Canada, info already known by the public. So what???
As far as targetting area with his and low population dencity, well the genuises shoud try it. Theses are the portions of our country with the most guns (registered and not). Yeah, a criminal is going to get into a rural residence know to have guns and likely dogs too... I think not.

If I was a crooke I would use it to eliminate area with guns and target these reisdences for break and enters. Of course, not everyone registered their firearms, so a bad guy could have a nasty surprise...

Troutseeker

Mattimoose
02-16-2007, 05:01 AM
Funny you should mention that, there are still well greased Suoni Machine pistols being dug-up, long-since some of the grampas is gone. Funny though you don't here about-it like in Canada. They are smarter there, they just top-up the grease and give-it a new home! My father's Friend was a the son of a forester in Germany, and when they knew th american cerpet-bagging GI's were coming, the best Sauer & Sohn drillings and other's were wrapped in Grease and burlap and buried in cesspools and under rocks in streams until after they were gone.

Mr. Dean
02-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Funny,
I could only find about half of my collection.

AND I did double check the papers..they're all regi'd

Mr. Dean
02-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Some time ago, my postal code changed.
Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Then again it just may be a BAAAAD system?

TPK
02-16-2007, 10:54 AM
What's the big deal

The big deal is that this info simply should not be available to the general public. The general public does not understand firearms, firearms ownership, or firearms owners and we see evidence of that daily. To make these numbers so readily available to anyone with Internet access is to empower the anti's to spin them for their own good, not ours. The anti's don't need any more ammo.

Imagine a shooting in a neighbourhood, the anti's enter the postal code of that neighbourhood and find "x-amount" of firearms registered in that area. Oh my, who will protect us from all of these guns? I can just hear it now.

Who has an issue with this info being made readily available, I do, and a lot of other gun owners do. If the majority of gun owners don't think it's a good idea and don't like it, just who is being served having that info available? The general public? What, they want more information in an effort to further our rights as firearms owners, they want to help us get rid of silliy gun laws ... sure they do. Making this info available does not help us in any way shape or form, period.

I have an open mind, the above is my view at the moment, if someone can show what possible good this will do gun owners, I'll consider changing my mind but I really don't see this helping us.

ALPINE
02-16-2007, 12:12 PM
As far as I'm concerned this whole thing is crap!!! Way to go RCMP and the Government.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Okay everybody, let's swap firearms and really mess with them!:roll:

SSS

Will
02-16-2007, 03:57 PM
This "Info" serves absolutely no purpose ! :|

No Good can come of it..that's for sure.

johnes50
02-16-2007, 04:26 PM
I tried looking up Interarms Mark X for Victoria, but there were no .243's registered. Funny, cause I registered mine as a .243. John

pmj
02-16-2007, 10:43 PM
It appears to me this month there is a coordinated effort to attack firearm owners. I guess it is a slow month for news so the antis and the Liberals are taking advantage of it. I have done the same thing my self on Christmas day. Some of these articles have been posted on this site (thanks ruger#1, G.G. and others) to make us aware. Last week the Liberals gutted the Conservative Bill in Commmittee that would have judges hand out longer prison sentences for gun crimes. Now it is useless. Did you notice how the Liberals actually justified their opposition to something that would put criminals behind bars longer? I did not hear any victims group say anything in the news about the benefit of tougher prison scenteces. The Ottawa Citizen Newspaper published several days of anti fire arms propaganda. Now the anti gun lobby across Canada is riding this wave by taking this Gun Portal and using the information to write letters to local media about all the non hunting guns in their neighbourhood, especially the autos and semi autos. Hard to argue against their satistics when they can quote their source the Ottawa Citizen. The fact the Conservatives tried to get a Bill out of Committee for a vote in Parliament that would require judges to increase sentences for gun crimes was lost. Judges are not the ones who decide how justice is handed out, it is decided by us, and we elect people to carry out our wishes:roll: . Pretty cool how it all works or doesn't, once you see it :confused: . The antis are very good at public relations. It is all in how you spin it. I, on the other hand can't wait to get out in the wilderness and away from the tv and news. This is my down fall. I don't have the patience to play the political game.

pmj
02-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Moderator, maybe this thread should be moved to Politics & Debate.