PDA

View Full Version : Artistic Statement about deer cull

snowhunter
02-05-2014, 08:57 AM
http://news.ca.msn.com/local/britishcolumbia/deer-droppings-lead-to-artistic-protest-in-penticton

BiG Boar
02-05-2014, 09:08 AM
That statue looks like crap.

coach
02-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Instead, Penticton City Council voted this week to relocate animals, and to allocated $15,000 towards the program.

The city will now put out a request for proposals from contractors to move the deer to Penticton Indian Band land more than 10 kilometres away.

Johnathan Kruger, chief of the band, said his community will welcome the animals.

"We just thought this would be a good story, to show people that we can work together and take care of our interests," he said. "We definitely wouldn't mind having deer on our reserve and getting some of those aggressive deer out of the community of Penticton."

I'm sure those deer will be perfectly safe once they are relocated. :roll:

tinhorse
02-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Dumbest thing I have ever read.... Lets protect the deer by moving them 10km away to an indian band. They will be back in a day if they make it out of there alive.

Instead, Penticton City Council voted this week to relocate animals, and to allocated $15,000 towards the program.

The city will now put out a request for proposals from contractors to move the deer to Penticton Indian Band land more than 10 kilometres away.

Johnathan Kruger, chief of the band, said his community will welcome the animals.

"We just thought this would be a good story, to show people that we can work together and take care of our interests," he said. "We definitely wouldn't mind having deer on our reserve and getting some of those aggressive deer out of the community of Penticton."

sawmill
02-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Well the cull started here Monday.No b1tchin or granola head protesters,nice to live in a place where people have some sense.

PointMan
02-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Well the cull started here Monday.No b1tchin or granola head protesters,nice to live in a place where people have some sense.

And a well earned love of the taste of venison.

adriaticum
02-05-2014, 10:01 AM
They should relocate the deer to Surrey.
I can't believe that these so called protection societies are allowed to waste taxpayer money and challenge duly elected officials.
If they don't like it vote for someone else next time and bring your own horse to the race.

Oh, and nice work on the statue snowhunter.

MB_Boy
02-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Hahaha.....no kidding! Just read the end of the article and had a good chuckle; coach you beat me to commenting. :wink:

Mr. Dean
02-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Penticton's stock just plummeted in my books. :rolleyes:

coach
02-05-2014, 12:56 PM
If they are going to deliver them to the band, why not slit their throats first? It would save having to worry about bullets flying around at night..

604redneck
02-05-2014, 01:36 PM
If they are going to deliver them to the band, why not slit their throats first? It would save having to worry about bullets flying around at night..
Lol awesome

GoatGuy
02-05-2014, 01:53 PM
If the horses are starving to death due to over grazing I doubt the deer will fare any better. Bigger problems than a handful of deer.

bassplayer
02-05-2014, 01:55 PM
The story today in Pentictons Western News told a different story. Chief Kruger said that having the deer will help the members of Penticton indian band as some have been going out hunting for days and not seeing any animals. Here's the other story here.
http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/243603441.html

Gary

rocksteady
02-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Interesting... All this time I just used the poop for tossing at my hunting partners and as an emergency Copenhagen substitue;;;

TheProvider
02-05-2014, 02:00 PM
I am sorry but complaining you spent $60 on gas driving around and came home empty handed is kind of amusing to me.

bassplayer
02-05-2014, 02:02 PM
I am sorry but complaining you spent $60 on gas driving around and came home empty handed is kind of amusing to me.
No kidding and considering it was the mayor that spent the $60.00, wonder who really paid for that gas?

TheProvider
02-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Plus they estimate $1000 to relocate one deer. With a $15 000 budget its simple math. Will relocating a max of 15 deer a year solve the towns issue.

bassplayer
02-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Plus they estimate $1000 to relocate one deer. With a $15 000 budget its simple math. Will relocating a max of 15 deer a year solve the towns issue.
Yep. What these clowns at city council wanted to do last year was hire contractors to tranquilize the deer, load them into trailers, take them up the mountain and then euthanize them. I can't remember what they estimated the cost to be for that bright idea but it was ridiculous haha.

bassplayer
02-05-2014, 02:12 PM
I've lived here for 30 years. I don't see that many deer in town. Just a few. The only people here complaining about these deer are the ones that are having their plants eaten by the deer. Once in a while there's a complaint about a doe protecting its fawn that goes after a dog that gets too close to it's fawn.

adriaticum
02-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Yep. What these clowns at city council wanted to do last year was hire contractors to tranquilize the deer, load them into trailers, take them up the mountain and then euthanize them. I can't remember what they estimated the cost to be for that bright idea but it was ridiculous haha.

Why don't you, being from Penticton, get together with a few people and go to city council and take those problems of their hands.
It's your money they are spending.
Golden opportunity to set a good example.

bassplayer
02-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Why don't you, being from Penticton, get together with a few people and go to city council and take those problems of their hands.
It's your money they are spending.
Golden opportunity to set a good example.
I've written the Penticton Western before speaking out against their cull as some others have too. One thing i suggested was a program i participated in years ago when they used to give out sustenance permits for people on social assistance. You filled out a piece of paper with your hunter number and info. Give it to the person in need whos social worker filled out their clients info and then i send it in when i got it back. They would issue me 1 or 2 doe permits for 2 weeks hunting in February depending on how many people i applied for. Once i harvested the animal, i deliver it straight to that persons residence, fill out my permit that i was successful and send it in. Wouldn't of cost the tax payers a dime as i am donating my own time and gas to help people in need. I guess it's so much easier spending tax dollars.

adriaticum
02-05-2014, 02:22 PM
I've written the western before speaking out against their cull as some others have too. One thing i suggested was a program i participated in years ago when they used to give out sustenance permits for people on social assistance. You filled out a piece of paper with your hunter number and info. Give it to the person in need whos social worker filled out their clients info and then i send it in when i got it back. They would issue me 1 or 2 permits for 2 weeks hunting in February depending on how many people i applied for. Once i harvested the animal, i deliver it straight to that persons residence, fill out my permit that i was successful and send it in. Wouldn't of cost the tax payers a dime as i am donating my own time and gas to help people in need. I guess it's so much easier spending tax dollars.

Yes exactly, that would be the way to go.

bassplayer
02-05-2014, 02:23 PM
And these permits should only be good for certain areas so they would benefit by handing out these permits for the areas that are more over run with the deer problem.

sawmill
02-05-2014, 03:01 PM
How do you shoot a deer when it never leaves peoples front yards?Wackin them in the yard ain`t going to make you any friends.Trank and transports costs more than $1000 a deer,plus,this time of year most will die in 2 weeks from stupidness.

bassplayer
02-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Most of these deer aren't permanently in peoples yards 24/7. Most of them are coming off the hill into town and then head back up the hill. There's a few that stick around in certain areas but if you look at Penticton, we are in a valley and it's not a huge stretch for them to make it to the center of town. I live in the middle of town myself and have had deer in my yard and walking down the alley and if they want to relocate the deer, then relocate them in the hills around Penticton other than the indian reservation.Who's tax dollars do you think it is that is going to be spent giving all these deer to the indian band? If i'm paying taxes then put the deer back on crown land. Those deer belong to everybody and not just one people.

adriaticum
02-05-2014, 03:13 PM
How do you shoot a deer when it never leaves peoples front yards?Wackin them in the yard ain`t going to make you any friends.Trank and transports costs more than $1000 a deer,plus,this time of year most will die in 2 weeks from stupidness.

Trank and in the freezer. Or take them to a butcher if there are many. They should really license a few people who they trust and call on them. None of this contracting bs. But cities always like spending otherpoeple's money.

bassplayer
02-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Trank and in the freezer. Or take them to a butcher if there are many. They should really license a few people who they trust and call on them. None of this contracting bs. But cities always like spending otherpoeple's money.
That's what they have here Adriaticum. All the orchards, one in particular called Paradise Vineyard where i once worked all have contractors that shoot the deer. Paradise no longer has a contractor as it was only a temporary thing until they could erect a fence around the property by a certain deadline in which they failed considering the size of the property. My wife works at Grimms butcher shop where all the contractors were bringing the deer to be cut and donated to the Sally Ann food bank.

Piperdown
02-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Hey come on over to Victoria and hug a rabbit. The chitload of money wasted on the cute little bunnies was absurd! Best part was when they were relocated there was a hole in the fench and the neighbour shoot a bunch of them when they escaped :)

Fisher-Dude
02-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Do the Indians know these deer cannot be safely consumed for 1 year after they are tranq'd?

adriaticum
02-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Pinnacle of stupidity

NY Town spends $2,984 per deer in sterilization program (http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/01/ny-town-spends-2984-per-deer-in-sterilization-program/)

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/01/ny-town-spends-2984-per-deer-in-sterilization-program/

Ourea
02-05-2014, 04:29 PM
That's what they have here Adriaticum. All the orchards, one in particular called Paradise Vineyard where i once worked all have contractors that shoot the deer. Paradise no longer has a contractor as it was only a temporary thing until they could erect a fence around the property by a certain deadline in which they failed considering the size of the property. My wife works at Grimms butcher shop where all the contractors were bringing the deer to be cut and donated to the Sally Ann food bank.

Don't confuse two completely different issues here.
The issue is urban deer within city limits that are causing problems to private property in residential areas and are a hazard to traffic.
The deer that are being identified as "problem" LIVE by schools, in residential neighborhoods, walk down city streets.
They are not "part time" city slickers.

Sawmill's comment is bang on.
Deer living in people's yards simply can't be culled without huge public outcry.
Big picture - the hunting community does not want to be associated with this type of political approach to culling deer.
The fall out and negative press from the anti's would only cast the hunting community in a bad light.

It's a tough issue to resolve without it turning into a spectacle.
That's why communities struggle with this issue and never find an easy solution.
Penticton is no different.

And FYI, Paradise Ranch is not an example as it IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO PENTICTON, let alone within city limits.
Large parcels of working land that border mountainous terrain or Crown Land is not what this issue is about.
It's city deer.

sawmill
02-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Hey come on over to Victoria and hug a rabbit. The chitload of money wasted on the cute little bunnies was absurd! Best part was when they were relocated there was a hole in the fench and the neighbour shoot a bunch of them when they escaped :)

Naw,we got enough problems.
Kill yer own snakes:twisted:

J_T
02-05-2014, 04:36 PM
If they are going to deliver them to the band, why not slit their throats first? It would save having to worry about bullets flying around at night..Kind of what I was thinking. Might as well bleed them first to ensure the start of their transition is well cared for.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-05-2014, 04:40 PM

No deer have been "culled" at Paradise Ranch since it changed hands quite a number of years ago. It's now all high fenced but deer can get around the fence by getting wet in the lake. They do a few deer drives to push them out each season and keep the deer to a "manageable level".

But as Ourea said, it's a completely different story than urban deer that don't leave the towns.

J_T
02-05-2014, 04:41 PM
That's what they have here Adriaticum. All the orchards, one in particular called Paradise Vineyard where i once worked all have contractors that shoot the deer. Paradise no longer has a contractor as it was only a temporary thing until they could erect a fence around the property by a certain deadline in which they failed considering the size of the property. My wife works at Grimms butcher shop where all the contractors were bringing the deer to be cut and donated to the Sally Ann food bank. I'm of the same perspective as Sawmill, Coach and Ourea. 1) I would be very cautious about promoting an orchard hunt. Most ungulate hunters bait and that simply brings in more deer. 2) if the deer are moving in and out of town, are they the animals to be targeted?

Consider where/how you will take the animal. Where will it die? Where will you start your process of it? IE gut it? Where will you put those. Where will you leave the hide?

I'm sure you have it figured out, but a cull is a cull and not a hunt. Just be ready to recognize the difference.

And remember, if you're in the Okanagan and using a firearm some overzealous police officer may just want to kick you in the head.

adriaticum
02-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Deer living in people's yards simply can't be culled without huge public outcry.
Big picture - the hunting community does not want to be associated with this type of political approach to culling deer.
The fall out and negative press from the anti's would only cast the hunting community in a bad light.

That's why communities struggle with this issue and never find an easy solution.

I couldn't disagree more.

Sure you are not going to go into someone's yard armed to the teeth and start shooting, but you can easily tranquilize those deer and get them out of there.
Whether it's a guy dressed in blue (CO at taxpayer expense) or a guy dressed in jeans (private hunter at his own expense) makes a big difference here.
It can all be organized properly by the city officials and majority of the cost borne by the hunters.
Secondly, I don't see why it's our problem if deer are in someone's yard. It's not taxpayer's responsibility to provide fencing and pest control to private individuals.
If they have a problem with it, let them deal with it.
I can understand removing them from public land, schools, roads etc.

If hunting community doesn't want anything to do with it, that's a big mistake. Probably part of the generation who were spanked by the stupid gun control laws and have been running and hiding ever since.
Perhaps time to get involved instead of caving in to the antis.

GoatGuy
02-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Have no issues shooting 'rural critters', shooting urban critters - not so keen.

Orchards, farms, ranches, sure go to town. In a subdivision not so much.

Would hate to wake up and have an arrow stuck in my house LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adriaticum
02-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Have no issues shooting 'rural critters', shooting urban critters - not so keen.

Orchards, farms, ranches, sure go to town. In a subdivision not so much.

Would hate to wake up and have an arrow stuck in my house LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not arrows or bullets. Tranquillizer guns.

A hunter will spend hours stalking a deer in the school yard and it won't cost you a penny. And the hunter will have fun.
CO will not spend any time stalking a deer and every move he makes costs you money.

Heck we can come up with a camo suit and tie if it makes the public feel better.

GoatGuy
02-05-2014, 04:56 PM

A hunter will spend hours stalking a deer in the school yard and it won't cost you a penny. And the hunter will have fun.
CO will not spend any time stalking a deer and every move he makes costs you money.

Heck we can come up with a camo suit and tie if it makes the public feel better.

Whatever floats your boat.

J_T
02-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Adriaticum, No offence, but what I hear you saying, is not describing a hunt. Use of tranquilizers? I'm pretty sure there would be rules about that. I feel a certification coming on. Not all hunters would be appreciative of the sensitive situation they would find themselves in.

You appear to be proposing guns for hire, or tranquilizers for hire. Not hunting. While I do support city deer reduction, I'm concerned about the eventual image hunters might wear. I would propose to work with the municipality, but more as concerned citizens and less like hunters.

Ourea
02-05-2014, 05:03 PM

Sure you are not going to go into someone's yard armed to the teeth and start shooting, but you can easily tranquilize those deer and get them out of there.
Whether it's a guy dressed in blue (CO at taxpayer expense) or a guy dressed in jeans (private hunter at his own expense) makes a big difference here.
It can all be organized properly by the city officials and majority of the cost borne by the hunters.
Secondly, I don't see why it's our problem if deer are in someone's yard. It's not taxpayer's responsibility to provide fencing and pest control to private individuals.
If they have a problem with it, let them deal with it.
I can understand removing them from public land, schools, roads etc.

If hunting community doesn't want anything to do with it, that's a big mistake. Probably part of the generation who were spanked by the stupid gun control laws and have been running and hiding ever since.
Perhaps time to get involved instead of caving in to the antis.

You "couldn't disagree more"...I'm good with that.

adriaticum
02-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Adriaticum, No offence, but what I hear you saying, is not describing a hunt. Use of tranquilizers? I'm pretty sure there would be rules about that. I feel a certification coming on. Not all hunters would be appreciative of the sensitive situation they would find themselves in.

You appear to be proposing guns for hire, or tranquilizers for hire. Not hunting. While I do support city deer reduction, I'm concerned about the eventual image hunters might wear. I would propose to work with the municipality, but more as concerned citizens and less like hunters.

What I'm describing is using "most qualified" people (hunters who know deer habits best) to remove any undesirable deer.
Sure there would be rules. There are rules about everything. I'm sure that BCWF with local councils would easily find respectable members of the community who are going to carry out this task.
The hunters would be doing something they like (interacting with deer) and they would probably be willing to do it at their expense. If some don't like it, that's ok. It's not forced upon them.

As opposed to letting city councils waste enormous amounts of money and time and making this look like an huge undertaking. Spending money on contractors and then wasting a bunch of meat.

What I'm hearing from some people is hunters are a bunch of yahoos who I wouldn't trust around my house with a gun or a bow.
I would fully trust a few people (who I've met) from this forum to carry out a safe and effective removal of a few deer from public property in the city.
And I certainly wouldn't condone paying for deer removal from private property. Private property is owner's business.

adriaticum
02-05-2014, 05:08 PM
You "couldn't disagree more"...I'm good with that.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy you a beer.

Xenomorph
02-05-2014, 05:36 PM
This thread here is a perfect example of not having enough "lawyers, and pencil pushers" involved into lobbying your local government and city councils for the right to hunt. They'd rather spend 15k to relocate an animal that most likely will make it back in a couple days than to let experienced hunters cull the problem deer.

Unbelievable! Makes me want to go back to Law School and finish it just for this, to be able to give hell to those numbnuts in city hall.

358mag
02-05-2014, 05:44 PM
This thread here is a perfect example of not having enough "lawyers, and pencil pushers" involved into lobbying your local government and city councils for the right to hunt. They'd rather spend 15k to relocate an animal that most likely will make it back in a couple days than to let experienced hunters cull the problem deer.

Unbelievable! Makes me want to go back to Law School and finish it just for this, to be able to give hell to those numbnuts in city hall.
Trust me once them mule deer are relocated across the river channel to PIB land the only way they will be coming back is dead in the back of a truck heading to the local butcher to get cut and wrapped at up at taxpayer's expense . Its a win -win for our trusted " keepers of the land" ........

Fisher-Dude
02-05-2014, 05:49 PM
I'm sure that BCWF with local councils would easily find respectable members of the community who are going to carry out this task.
The hunters would be doing something they like (interacting with deer) and they would probably be willing to do it at their expense. If some don't like it, that's ok. It's not forced upon them.

BCWF region 8 already discussed urban deer culls and resolved to have nothing to do with them. There's no way to come out with a better image for hunters in such a situation.

eastkoot
02-05-2014, 05:57 PM
I suggest we get the infamous Carmen Purdy to do the "dirty work". God knows he's made enough from other culls in the Kootenays including the screw up in Elkford. Conservationist, I think not. I'd rather FN's get the deer than that (for a lack of a better word) cull contractor...Nothing wrong with some wildlife in town, people are the problem..

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
02-05-2014, 06:04 PM
That's a great statue!!! I enjoy it, very creative.

Personally I can not figure for the life of me why a town would pay 15 grand to have some Deer moved about when Resident Hunters would be willing to line up and pay to harvest those Deer (yeah, they'd buy liability insurance too if asked. No doubt about that). Yet hey, I don't live in Penticton. If they want to waste their money to appease idiots and let the Deer get killed by others or simply wander on back into town, who am I to judge? Does seem crazy, I must express that much, in the least.

coach
02-05-2014, 06:50 PM

Seriously?? This has to be THE most bizarre post in your long list of strange posts, Adriaticum. :confused:

Less time behind the computer and more time in the wilderness will give you a much better chance to kill your first deer - and a far greater understanding of what hunting is actually about.

coach
02-05-2014, 06:54 PM

If hunting community doesn't want anything to do with it, that's a big mistake. Probably part of the generation who were spanked by the stupid gun control laws and have been running and hiding ever since. Perhaps time to get involved instead of caving in to the antis.

Tell us, Mr hunting guru, about your involvement in standing up and doing your part for fish and wildlife and hunters and fishermen - I really wanna know.

snowhunter
02-05-2014, 07:06 PM
http://www.theprovince.com/Penticton+moving+deer+instead+culling+them/9472405/story.html

With the decline in hunter numbers, we now, and in the future, will all experience a rise in our taxes, in order to pay for deer cull's, as well as court cost to fight those , who oppose the deer cull.

Glancing google about "deer cull programs", it easy cost anywhere from $ 500.- to $ 3000.-, for each deer culled, sterilized or moved.

If memory serves me correct, Gatehouse did at one point explore the possibility of using a spear for his bear hunt ? Howe did he make out with the spear, which I also think would be an excellent and safe weapon, for hunting the pesky urban deer ?

coach
02-05-2014, 07:13 PM
This thread just gets stranger by the minute! :evil:

adriaticum
02-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Seriously?? This has to be THE most bizarre post in your long list of strange posts, Adriaticum. :confused:

Less time behind the computer and more time in the wilderness will give you a much better chance to kill your first deer - and a far greater understanding of what hunting is actually about.

Coach, I think you are right. If the hunters in the region are not up to it, I'm beating a dead horse.
This is not as much about hunting as much about preventing city halls from wasting money.

adriaticum
02-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Tell us, Mr hunting guru, about your involvement in standing up and doing your part for fish and wildlife and hunters and fishermen - I really wanna know.

I am no hunting guru and those who know me, know what I do for the fish and fishing.
If you get to know me, you'll know me.
I am just starting to understand the hunting community and like any community some people have the understanding and care to know how their money is spent, some don't.

Ourea
02-05-2014, 09:32 PM
http://www.theprovince.com/Penticton+moving+deer+instead+culling+them/9472405/story.html

With the decline in hunter numbers, we now, and in the future, will all experience a rise in our taxes, in order to pay for deer cull's, as well as court cost to fight those , who oppose the deer cull.

Glancing google about "deer cull programs", it easy cost anywhere from $ 500.- to $ 3000.-, for each deer culled, sterilized or moved.

If memory serves me correct, Gatehouse did at one point explore the possibility of using a spear for his bear hunt ? Howe did he make out with the spear, which I also think would be an excellent and safe weapon, for hunting the pesky urban deer ?

Hunters walking up and down neighborhood streets with tranquilizer guns, bows and spears (seriously people!!!). ???
I think this thread has digressed into morbid stupidity.

hunter1993ap
02-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Hunters walking up and down neighborhood streets with tranquilizer guns, bows and spears (seriously people!!!). ???
I think this thread has digressed into morbid stupidity.

maybe the tranquilizer should only be used in a blow gun to give the critters a sporting chance :mrgreen: haha

aggiehunter
02-05-2014, 10:56 PM
a pecentage of blame is owed to high fencing.....it's just the plain truth. Maybe they should pitch in for a transplant. Theres quite a few areas within 35 miles that need a boost to the population. Maybe it's time for the BCWF to come up with an answer and some money...other than a cull. When a permit states the meat is for the needy..first nations..or IS TO BE BURIED...the last one really denotes why it's called a cull.

snowhunter
02-05-2014, 11:02 PM
No, it is this Penticton City Counsel, politicizes deer cull issue which are utterly stupid. Difficult to reply to this "$ 15.000 deer dull program". Sounds like election time promises:

"Let's spent $ 15.000 and catch some problem, urbanized deer, and give it to the nearest First Nations People". Or is this a joke ?

A glance at a various, North American deer cull programs, show that a $ 15.000 deer cull does not exist. X 10 this amount might, or might not, get some response ?

My yearly experience for chasing deer away, is to hunt them, even without firing a shoot. Just start to sneak around and trying to get close to them, will chase them away. Throw few fire crackers for good measure will add to the effect of sending a message to the deer population, and make them believe they are being hunted ?

bassplayer
02-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Don't confuse two completely different issues here.
The issue is urban deer within city limits that are causing problems to private property in residential areas and are a hazard to traffic.
The deer that are being identified as "problem" LIVE by schools, in residential neighborhoods, walk down city streets.
They are not "part time" city slickers.

And FYI, Paradise Ranch is not an example as it IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO PENTICTON, let alone within city limits.
Large parcels of working land that border mountainous terrain or Crown Land is not what this issue is about.
It's city deer.
Get yourself a map Dave. They want to trap these deer by Munson Mountain and not right in town. The mayor was in my wifes store today talking to her boss about it as they are friends. She's worked at A+K Grimms for 11 years. They are the store that processes your wild game down here. Since you seem to be an expert, you tell me why they aren't trapping these problem deer right in town then? You know whats all around Munson Mountain? Orchards and vineyards. Annnnnd FYI. What i was saying about Paradise Ranch was something i was discussing with Adriaticum when we got on the topic about contractors in general. My apologies for having an opinion lol. I almost forgot that this was HBC haha.

bassplayer
02-06-2014, 12:44 AM
No deer have been "culled" at Paradise Ranch since it changed hands quite a number of years ago.

I know that. I worked there when Dr Harries had the place. My buddy Brian was one of the contractors that used to take care of the deer there up until that point.

boxhitch
02-06-2014, 05:43 AM
No, it is this Penticton City Counsel, politicizes deer cull issue which are utterly stupid. Difficult to reply to this "$ 15.000 deer dull program". Sounds like election time promises:

"Let's spent $ 15.000 and catch some problem, urbanized deer, and give it to the nearest First Nations People". Or is this a joke ?

A glance at a various, North American deer cull programs, show that a $ 15.000 deer cull does not exist. X 10 this amount might, or might not, get some response ?Maybe its a clever political ploy . Throw taxpayers money at an impossible task , realizing the unlikely success , and get people off the fence about an issue , stirring up some activism . Apathy is killing our society , and hoping elected officials will save us is a pipe dream.
But as long as we have daisy sniffers trying to save the lives of everything around them speaking up , instead of people demanding solutions to the unnatural unhealthy situation of pests invading our unnatural urban space , no real results will be seen. Keep throwing money at it until enough citizens really protest , making a clear decision easier. Clever?.

boxhitch
02-06-2014, 05:47 AM
Not sure how anyone can associate hunting with a pest disposal problem , but hunting isn't the same to everyone I guess.

Suppressed 12 gauge with night vision and the cover of darkness , sign me up.

boxhitch
02-06-2014, 05:49 AM
oh wait , in Canada suppressors are weapons of mass destruction , so that won't fly.

Gateholio
02-06-2014, 07:22 AM
Spears are inefficient. Tranquilizer guns are expensive and difficult to use without killing the animal or having no effect on them. Suppressed shotguns might be the way! :)

biggyun68
02-06-2014, 07:47 AM
There are plenty of management tactics we can adopt from the Europeans.
I like their attitude towards suppressors: It is considered bad manners not to use one.
In Britain and Germany they use small bore center fire with bullet and ballistics to dump all the energy in the body, much like a home defense round, with suppressors. They do it at night with FLIR and night vision. This done by folks who have passed an advanced Stalkers exam (in Europe the crime of Stalking is called Lurking) essentially private citizens licensed up to conservation officer level.
I do not know why we cannot use a similar system here...

Xenomorph
02-06-2014, 09:24 AM
There are plenty of management tactics we can adopt from the Europeans.
I like their attitude towards suppressors: It is considered bad manners not to use one.
In Britain and Germany they use small bore center fire with bullet and ballistics to dump all the energy in the body, much like a home defense round, with suppressors. They do it at night with FLIR and night vision. This done by folks who have passed an advanced Stalkers exam (in Europe the crime of Stalking is called Lurking) essentially private citizens licensed up to conservation officer level.
I do not know why we cannot use a similar system here...

Because that would make too much common sense and there wouldn't be any more reason and opportunities to waste tax payers' dollars on idiotic measures like the one we're all having a fit about. Let's face it, if we'd be German we'd own our own resources, increase the education funds, make our pension funds profitable and guaranteed for the generations to come ...and all that generally not selling the rug from under our feet.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Shit. Just bring in the millitary and use it as a special forces training tool.
Done in one night under the cover of darkness.:)

SSS

adriaticum
02-06-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't know boys but in many places in the world hunters are the ones who deal with urban wildlife. But in those same places people are trusted to drink beer in public.

Walksalot
02-06-2014, 11:12 AM
The distance they are relocating the animals bodes well for the animals, due to their homing instinct, to beat the trucks back to the city. The deer crossing the river back to the city will rival the wildebeest migration on the Serengeti. At $1000.00 a deer(estimated cost) this is another example of our tax dollars well pissed away. The whole relocation proposal lacks one thing....common sense.

Xenomorph
02-06-2014, 12:08 PM
The distance they are relocating the animals bodes well for the animals, due to their homing instinct, to beat the trucks back to the city. The deer crossing the river back to the city will rival the wildebeest migration on the Serengeti. At $1000.00 a deer(estimated cost) this is another example of our tax dollars well pissed away. The whole relocation proposal lacks one thing....common sense.

You know, there's one thing I didn't consider yet: all you Penticton hunters yapping about all this should come together and put together a "Deer Relocation Business" bid/win/move the deer and then use the money to lobby for those goofballs to get some common send into the bylaws and regulations.

j270wsm
02-06-2014, 12:14 PM
I suggest we get the infamous Carmen Purdy to do the "dirty work". God knows he's made enough from other culls in the Kootenays including the screw up in Elkford. Conservationist, I think not. I'd rather FN's get the deer than that (for a lack of a better word) cull contractor...Nothing wrong with some wildlife in town, people are the problem..

What screw up in elkford???? Are you talking about the supposed incident where a young child witnessed a deer being trapped and killed in daylight? If so then you didn't hear the actual story. Yes the paid contractor broke the contract and set traps out before it was dark. But the child did not witness the deer being trapped or killed, all he seen was the deer being loaded into the back of the truck.

coach
02-06-2014, 12:45 PM
I don't know...

Fixed it for ya

J_T
02-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Shit. Just bring in the millitary and use it as a special forces training tool.
Done in one night under the cover of darkness.:)

SSS Actually not a bad idea. Socially acceptable I would think. No connection to 'the sport' of hunting. Carried out and completed, with precision. All you find in the morning would be a blood stain on the front lawn.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Actually not a bad idea. Socially acceptable I would think. No connection to 'the sport' of hunting. Carried out and completed, with precision. All you find in the morning would be a blood stain on the front lawn.

Either that or just bring in Turtle Man! He'll catch them with his bare hands!:-D (hope someone else has seen his show)

boxhitch
02-06-2014, 04:46 PM
You know, there's one thing I didn't consider yet: all you Penticton hunters yapping about all this should come together and put together a "Deer Relocation Business" bid/win/move the deer and then use the money to lobby for those goofballs to get some common send into the bylaws and regulations.With all this under the watchful magnifying glass of the over exuberant media and the special interest groups with an agenda , I don't know anybody that would want to pout their neck on the line for this type of fiasco . Look what happened to the guy in Kelowna culling rabbits , he couldn't turn around to do his job with out being harassed. Same with Purdy , someone had to impress the media with a BS story just to further a special interest .
Black vans , quiet guns and Ninja suits

biggyun68
02-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Get a bunch of us in tweeds and ties: Do a drive hunt: Afterwards shutdown the main street, BBQ the days bag, have live music and local beer, wine and cider, door prizes... etc:

Citizens will look forward to the hunt the next year: Just something to go hmmm about

aggiehunter
02-10-2014, 11:49 PM
yup...spiralling.....

jaeger
02-12-2014, 10:33 PM

You must have read the article Coach!
I like the fact that the chief spent $60 in gas driving around during hunting season and has not seen a deer! LOL
I guess that is good enough of a reason to award the cull contract to our local band!