PDA

View Full Version : Legal to hunt from a boat in other provinces???

Billyisgr8
02-04-2014, 08:29 PM
I came across this video and at 16:55 saw a moose shot at while in a boat. He said in the beginning... in British Columbia. I thought hunting from a boat is illegal in BC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78cPnoXgke4

limit time
02-04-2014, 08:34 PM
In BC, If it has an outboard, you can shoot from it. No forward motion and engine out of water. BUT! I am no expert.
waterfowlers do it all the time.

Fred1
02-04-2014, 08:40 PM
In BC, the boat - if it has a motor, the motor must be "disabled" ie motor out of water and or key removed from ignition prior to the shot. It can be in motion. I do believe the game must have its belly free of the water to be legal - ie seeing air between the water surface and belly of the critter. You cant pound 'em swimming!

000buck
02-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Is it not the first point of articulation, the ankle, then they are considered to be swimming? I may be wrong but I hope not I've passed up a few shots because of this possibly misguided belief

BiG Boar
02-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Totally legal to shoot from a boat. If they were motoring up to it, no.

lip_ripper00
02-04-2014, 08:55 PM
I have shot a few moose drifting down a river, while they stand knee deep looking at the floating rubber thing moving toward them.:wink:

GotaGun
02-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Best I can remember from regs is :

Duck hunting= boat must be anchored/beached or tied off to log etc.( no drifting etc)

Moose etc.= only if your chasing a wounded animal(already shot).You can't go chase down something that is swimming across a lake.

lip_ripper00
02-04-2014, 09:12 PM

Duck hunting= boat must be anchored/beached or tied off to log etc.( no drifting etc)

Moose etc.= only if your chasing a wounded animal(already shot).You can't go chase down something that is swimming across a lake.

Keep reading:mrgreen:

two-feet
02-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Not only is it legal, its super fun!

GotaGun
02-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Page 18 of hunting synopsis says unlawful to::

to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor.to hunt migratory birds from a powerboat, unless the boat is beached, resting at anchor or fastened within or tied immediately along side a fixed hunting blind.to use a power boat, aircraft, or motor vehicle or other mechanical device to herd or harass wildlife.to hunt, take, wound or kill big game while it is swimming unless it has been previously
wounded.

Page 18 #21- #24
Sorry on cramped words copy and paste didn't work to well

GotaGun
02-04-2014, 09:30 PM

So I guess drifting is allowed if you got no motor

lip_ripper00
02-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Page 18 of hunting synopsis says unlawful to::

to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor.to hunt migratory birds from a powerboat, unless the boat is beached, resting at anchor or fastened within or tied immediately along side a fixed hunting blind.to use a power boat, aircraft, or motor vehicle or other mechanical device to herd or harass wildlife.to hunt, take, wound or kill big game while it is swimming unless it has been previously
wounded.

Page 18 #21- #24
Sorry on cramped words copy and paste didn't work to well

No problem, the OP was asking if it was legal to hunt from a boat, yes it is... as long as it's NOT under power,and the game is NOT swimming .

lip_ripper00
02-04-2014, 09:36 PM
So I guess drifting is allowed if you got no motor

No, it can have a motor it just can't be under power. I lift my motor and use paddled to steer current will move us.

The Hermit
02-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Hunt moose from the canoe = get fun!