PDA

View Full Version : Dog down yesterday, missed the double.

Rich_D
02-04-2014, 01:06 AM
After having no luck at a ranch I have access to, I decided to head across the river and up to another area.

When I got up to the one spot I wanted to check out I saw fresh human tracks going into where I wanted to go and none coming out so I figured I would try somewhere else.

The next place I wanted to go into had a group of snowmobiler's getting ready to head in that way, on up the road to a small lake that I thought would be a good area. Well, no vehicle access and it's a X-Country ski trail in the winter.

Dejected, I decided to say "screw it" and go home. I get down the road, close to a spot I have called before without success, and running up the hillside is a Coyote. Well I know the hill he is going up comes down to a spot I can park the truck. So I get around the corner and get the truck stopped, grab my magazine and rifle, get across the road with some trees between me and where the Coyote should appear and I run like convict on the loose to get a spot in the ditch where I can see the hillside and also get a good rest on a fence post.

So I'm scanning the hill, knowing approximately where it should be, and I see nothing moving.....WTH? 30 seconds later it bolts out of a draw and starts heading back up the hill it had just come down. I get the rifle up and look through the scope and there are 2 more following the first one. I let out a WOOF and all 3 stop, they are standing about 50yds apart and 250yds away from me (ranged after it was all over). I aim just over the back of the middle one, let one fly and I see it go down. The other 2 split directions and start running. I give a few mouth howls and the one on the left stops, perfect broadside.

I get lined up again just over the back, squeeze the trigger and proceed to watch the bullet splash just over it's back, it takes off running never to be seen again. I look back to see if #3 was somehow still around but all I saw was #1 dragging ass along the hillside so I aim up again and finish her off with a neck shot.

Didn't get to call her in but I'll take it anyway.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj311/CyaN1de_01/Hunting/20140202_095608.jpg

Sofa King
02-04-2014, 01:08 AM
what were you shooting?
what cal?

BiG Boar
02-04-2014, 01:09 AM
Nice fur down! Good job. Keep at it.

boxhitch
02-04-2014, 05:26 AM
Attago on the doggies , they can be anywhere and moving lots now with the rut coming on strong.
Lesson learned on the rifles capabilities too I bet ?

Rich_D
02-04-2014, 08:46 AM
what were you shooting?
what cal?

Savage 340B in .222

As for the rifles capabilities I took it to the range to rezero it, as it slid down the side of my truck the other day, so i zeroed at 100m then put an 8.5x11 sheet of paper up at 200m and aimed at the top of the paper. The shot was 5.5" low which seemed rather low to me but the shot was on the paper. The rifle is certainly no tack driver so it could have been one of those flyers I see often from it. Lesson learned......hold fur out to 250yds. :)

Kudu
02-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Savage 340B in .222

As for the rifles capabilities I took it to the range to rezero it, as it slid down the side of my truck the other day, so i zeroed at 100m then put an 8.5x11 sheet of paper up at 200m and aimed at the top of the paper. The shot was 5.5" low which seemed rather low to me but the shot was on the paper. The rifle is certainly no tack driver so it could have been one of those flyers I see often from it. Lesson learned......hold fur out to 250yds. :)

Nice shooting - pity you splashed the second - never mind - next time you will drill it.

Seeker
02-04-2014, 10:48 AM
WICKED! Keep at er!

SPEYMAN
02-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Good story and fine shooting. Look forward to reading more of your adventures.

Pete
02-04-2014, 09:39 PM
You skin him out?

HarryToolips
02-04-2014, 09:57 PM
At least you got one good job...

Rich_D
02-05-2014, 06:37 PM
You skin him out?

Yeah, skinned and salted in my garage right now. Have to move it tonight so the wife can put her car back in. ;)