PDA

View Full Version : 6-09 B Goat hunt

harem
02-03-2014, 08:52 PM
I have a draw for 6-09 B wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this area, access etc. heading up that way 22nd Feb.

NorBC
02-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Not much for snow, expect to climb high!

elena
02-03-2014, 09:05 PM
do you at least have some locations in mind already?

harem
02-03-2014, 09:25 PM
This will be my first goat hunt. Have not hunted this area at all,thinking the south western portion for start. Have good gear for backpack hunting (sheep mulies) but no crampons or rope tackle.

Cordillera
02-03-2014, 10:38 PM
There are no roads plowed so to get high you will need a sled or maybe better hunt off the highway near big Oliver creek.

BCbillies
02-03-2014, 10:51 PM
You just can't shoot any of those big goats that you may see south and east of the Big Oliver creek! Go deep near the vicinity of the Seven Sisters and Hells Bells creek. If you hike in I'd bring gear for a few days and crampons for a February hunt can be handy.

Krico
02-04-2014, 10:16 PM
I would not even think of hunting goats in February without crampons. Rope and a climbing harness are a good idea too.

harem
02-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Going to do delivery in Vancouver tomorrow, like to stop and get crampons, maybe MEC? Maybe good snow shoes as well.

Xenomorph
02-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Going to do delivery in Vancouver tomorrow, like to stop and get crampons, maybe MEC? Maybe good snow shoes as well.

MEC should carry them for sure, not sure of any other stores. I think if it's rock climbing specialized you're likely to find a few options.

E.V.B.H.
02-05-2014, 06:24 PM
This will be my first goat hunt. Have not hunted this area at all,thinking the south western portion for start. Have good gear for backpack hunting (sheep mulies) but no crampons or rope tackle.

Good luck, your sheep hunting gear should cover you, crampons might be nice. If you don't know how to use rope gear don't take any! More likely to get you in trouble than help. If it gets too crazy on the way up make sure every step you take up you can take down. Going up is way easier than getting down and it's easy to get in trouble this way as well.

coach
02-05-2014, 06:58 PM

MEC supports anti-hunting organizations. Sportchek/Atmosphere carry crampons and snow shoes. MSR Mountain Ascents are likely the safest snowshoes in icy conditions.

Bubba123
02-06-2014, 12:00 PM
MEC supports anti-hunting and anti gun organizations. Sportchek/Atmosphere carry crampons and snow shoes. MSR Mountain Ascents are likely the safest snowshoes in icy conditions.

Fixed it for you.

Xenomorph
02-06-2014, 12:23 PM
MEC supports anti-hunting organizations. Sportchek/Atmosphere carry crampons and snow shoes. MSR Mountain Ascents are likely the safest snowshoes in icy conditions.

Fixed it for you.

Uhm, I guess no more buying from MEC.

Coast mountain guy
02-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Ground is frozen solid. Bring crampons. Icy as hell too. everything has a glaze on it and its hard to dig in. Goats sure look nice up there in the sun theses last few days.

harem
02-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Got snow shoes and crampons yesterday. MSR evo ascent and microspikes. Starting to get stoked!

E.V.B.H.
02-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Don't forget collapsible poles. Black diamond makes one with a small ice pick to help in the steeps or for fall arrest.
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski-poles/whippet-ski-pole-BD1115360000ALL1.html#start=9

E.V.B.H.
02-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Good choice on the snowshoes. Best design available

NorBC
02-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Don't forget bullets! Good luck!!

coach
02-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Got snow shoes and crampons yesterday. MSR evo ascent and microspikes. Starting to get stoked!

Smart decision!! Best wishes for a safe and successful hunt! :-D

harem
02-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Been reading some previos threads on goat hunts (warniklz bcbillies etc) thinking I might want to bring some rope. I have lots of rope but it all has to do with the fishing industry. Would like some rope for this kind of thing. Any suggestions? I looked at some but the variety is overwhelming.

warnniklz
02-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Not sure about lifeline rope... but some para cord would be good to pack

BCbillies
02-09-2014, 07:53 PM
I go to Canadian Tire and buy 100' of 3/16" nylon Diamond Braid rope. 50' would be better than nothing. I don't repel off cliffs with this but it has gotten me out of some difficult spots and is light to pack and cheap to buy!

harem
02-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Cord Iv'e got, rope I'll get tomorrow. Thanks guys.

gerrygoat
02-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Looks like there is a bit of snow moving in but there should be some decent weather still. One thing is for sure, trying to walk on bare frozen slopes is darn near impossible without crampons, so it's good you have some now. I had too heavy of a rope and it took up too much room in my pack, something light and strong is a good idea.

BCbillies
02-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Good choice with the MSR Evo . . . was to be my next set of snowshoes. Just bought the MSR Lightening Ascents for my son and they should be a step up from my 15 year old Atlas'. I forgot to ask - do you have a solid partner to join you on the adventure?

harem
02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
This LEH was originally drawn as a group hunt, but unfortunatrly both of of my partners recently started new jobs and cannot get the time off. I intended to go solo as most of my backpack hunting has been. P.M. forwarded.

harem
02-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Figured out how to get topos off the computer. Picking up copies today. Got some google earth ones and the B.C. 6-09 b boundary one as well. Hoping this bit of snow we are supposed to get between now and the end of the month might push goats down a little.

Brno22F
02-13-2014, 10:50 AM
I have been following this thread a bit. What caught my interest was all the talk of ropes, crampons and icy conditions. Winter has been mild for the most part up here until end of January. Last week we had a bout of
-20 ish weather and so far this week it has snowed every day.
Icy layers with fresh snow on top are the classic conditions for avalanche. Before you go on your trip, here is a link to the Canadian Avalanche centre website.
http://www.avalanche.ca/cac/bulletins/latest

If you do go, especially if you are alone, I would suggest carrying a SPOT beacon with you with the tracking feature enabled. If you have a partner or 2 coming along, be sure you each have Avalanche beacons and shovels. The beacons (Peeps) are not much bigger than an i-phone and can save your butt.
I have some friends in the local search and rescue in Terrace that I can put you in touch with if you want more information about back country conditions. PM me.

harem
02-21-2014, 08:21 PM
Leaving to head up that way in the morning.Pretty stoked, sounds like it got some snow up that way. Hopefully moved some of the bigboys down a little.Thanks to everyone who helped out with info. I will post pics. etc. when I return.

Rhyno
02-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Look forward to the story! Play safe

gerrygoat
02-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Leaving to head up that way in the morning.Pretty stoked, sounds like it got some snow up that way. Hopefully moved some of the bigboys down a little.Thanks to everyone who helped out with info. I will post pics. etc. when I return.

Looks like you should have some great weather coming up, good luck.

Caribou_lou
02-21-2014, 08:47 PM
The recent snow we have had most likely won't move them around much. It will just make hunting tougher and a bit more slippery for walking. But it will help identify new tracks from old tracks. Good luck!

BChunter
02-21-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm not a rock climber but for footwear I have extensive experience with "caulked" boots. Know as cork boots, they are awesome on snow and ice and tough. Don't go where you are over your head. The spot recommendation is a must and call someone to let them know where and when you go in. Goat country is unforgiving. Don't go anywhere without gear to spend a night. Plan on spike camps 45 minutes before dusk. Take enough fuel to melt snow for dinner and drinking water. Their fur is fantastic now so bring out the whole cape without legs if you are getting the head mounted. Save the remaining piece of fur. Good Hunting, you will earn this one!

NorBC
02-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Look forward too the meet and greet/hunt! See you Sunday

Caribou_lou
02-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Im looking forward to some pics. You couldn't be having better weather for the hunt. Clear blue skies. No fog.

Rhyno
03-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Waiting for an update! Hope the hunt was a success.

gerrygoat
03-01-2014, 09:25 AM
March 1st he could be packing his goat out today since the season closed yesterday, actually helped a buddy who did exactly that shot a goat late on the 28th. Hopefully it all worked out the weather has been quite good recently.

sherpa-Al
03-01-2014, 09:43 AM
From what I heard he had a few spotted and was going to make a push yesterday, let's hope it turned out!

Al

NorBC
03-01-2014, 10:32 AM
I only got to hunt one day with harem on his trip. It was some cold windy weather, but just absolutely gorgeous. During the hunt he told me that he does not drink, and would be lucky to have one or two in a year with the right people. I felt honoured to share a few with him on more than one occasion. He's got a long trip home ahead of him, but he will post the story soon!

Caribou_lou
03-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Shared some celebratory drinks??

harem
03-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Ok, I guess I'll get this story started off on a negative note. No billie! Certainly not for lack of help or effort. I know we've all read stories of hunts where nothing was taken, and yes, you bet your a@$ I went out intent on killing a billie, but I do not consider this hunt unsuccessful.
This was my first goat hunt, and was incredible! One of the most gruelling and toughest I've been on. The area was very unforgiving and tough going. Weather on the other hand could hardly have been better. Over the next few days I will write the whole story, including a bit of information on gear I used, for anyone who may be considering their first goat hunt, and post some pics if I can figure out how. Many thanks to everyone!

coach
03-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Looking forward to it, Harem. Picture posting procedures are in my sig line.

warnniklz
03-05-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm excited to see pictures... I wonder if I'll be able to recognize what area you hit up.

It's unfortunate you never got a goat. But my first goat hunt was in the same management unit... and I never got one...

gerrygoat
03-05-2014, 06:32 PM
The winter hunt can be tough, glad you got out and saw some nice country. Looking forward to the pictures.

decker9
03-06-2014, 09:12 AM
One good side to picking a winter goat hunt for your first goat, pretty much any other goat hunt you go on, should be a bit easier lol. Looking forward to hearing about your first goat hunt!! And the equipment you used.

Caribou_lou
03-10-2014, 10:36 PM
To be honest, Ive only been coming on hbc this last while is to see the photos from your hunt!

BCbillies
03-10-2014, 10:56 PM
X2. Looking forward to seeing photos of some familiar country. Tougher than a late February hunt is a late Nov/Dec hunt when the days are short and the weather wet. TSW and I pulled one out of there on Nov 23rd, 2005 in which we coined the "24 Hour Special". Could have cut a tag on a second billy but crap were we ever deep, not to mention the snow!

Caribou_lou
03-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Patiently waiting...

BCbillies
03-20-2014, 11:31 PM
He hasn't been on the site since March 5th. Must have gone on a bender after the hunt . . . NorBC may have been a bad influence!

NorBC
03-22-2014, 08:07 PM
He hasn't been on the site since March 5th. Must have gone on a bender after the hunt . . . NorBC may have been a bad influence!

I created a monster.

NorBC
03-23-2014, 03:33 PM
I did talk to harem about a week ago. He said he had a rough draft prepared, and he was just trying to trick someone into typing it for him because he really hates computers.

sherpa-Al
04-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Waiting........:-D

Caribou_lou
04-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Its been so long I forgot!

warnniklz
03-09-2016, 12:27 PM
I wonder...