PDA

View Full Version : If you had a choice to hunt - elk in the rut or moose in the rut?

glennw89
02-01-2014, 08:16 PM
I'm in the process of planning a hunt for September 2016 (I know, a long way from now - but unpaid leave is the only way I can get that time off work and thus long term planning is necessary).

I've narrowed down my two options to a fly in rifle moose hunt in Northern Ontario (my home province) or a rifle elk hunt in Idaho/Montana - both timed during the rut.

Both hunts will be DIY using contacts I have in both areas. I'm fully equipped and experienced for backcountry wilderness travel in both environments. I will be hunting with a partner, with the small possibility of being joined by a third hunter.

I've never had the chance to hunt either the elk or moose rut. Given that many hunters on this forum have, I'd like to hear some opinions about which offers the "better hunt" - all other factors being equal.

Mikey Rafiki
02-01-2014, 08:22 PM
I think the vocalization and intensity of elk in the rut can't be beat. I'm spoiled with the amount of elk where I hunt so I would personally go for moose just because I've barely hunted them in GOS or LEH other than spike/forks. If I never hunted either... elk all the way.

filmer123
02-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Go for the elk, in my interacting with bugling a elk is hard to beat

lip_ripper00
02-01-2014, 08:36 PM
If you can catch them in peek rut...... man their is nothing like a freight train running at you ....moose will give you a rush!!

filmer123
02-01-2014, 08:37 PM
**in my opinion interacting with a bugling elk is hard to beat**

Moose Guide
02-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Despite my Moose Guide moniker, I am an elk hunter first and foremost! It is my opinion that your odds for success are far greater with moose when both species are hunted during the rut! I also find the moose calls easier to learn and master, and the only calls you need are your hands and voice! Still, elk in Idaho would be awesome!!

Sitkaspruce
02-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Go moose hunting!!! You will have the lake to yourselves, moose calling and having a D8 coming at you cannot be compared to anything else in hunting; not even a bull elk coming towards you can get the rush of a bull moose.....

Idaho/Montana will most likely be crowded unless you have access to private land that regulates the number of hunters on the land, a lot more expensive and if the weather is warm, you could be in trouble with the meat and keeping it cool.

Good to see you planning well in advance!!

Cheers

SS

OutWest
02-01-2014, 08:56 PM
A screaming bull elk or a slow, waddling, oversized piece of beef?

If you're looking for excitement it's not even close.

Mulehahn
02-01-2014, 09:28 PM
I for one just can't get into elk hunting. Not knocking it, lots of my friends live for it, but to me nothing beats watching a big bull moose. I just love the way they look, the antlers, the attitude, plus the hours of glassing and calling, never knowing if you have been heard, unlike an elk; which if all goes right betrays its position. Add the fact that I have never heard of someone being charged by an elk but know a few that have been charged by moose. It is a true hunt. If I was given the choice to only go on one more hunt for the rest of my life it would be for a moose.

pescado
02-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Hard to beat an Elk rut hunt.

E.V.B.H.
02-01-2014, 10:30 PM
If you've never hunted in the mountains then go for elk for the environment if nothing else.

two-feet
02-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Moose! They are huge and delicious.

quadrakid
02-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Go see Montana ,that's worth the trip.

Sofa King
02-01-2014, 11:07 PM
op, have you never gotten either before?
if so, go for the one you haven't.
I'd choose the moose.
but I'd also never go south though to look for one.
why Idaho/Montana?
go Alaska/Yukon.

glennw89
02-01-2014, 11:10 PM
No, neither. I wouldn't be looking to hunt moose in Idaho/Montana - elk there.

Sofa King
02-01-2014, 11:18 PM
No, neither. I wouldn't be looking to hunt moose in Idaho/Montana - elk there.

my mistake.
I'd say go for the one that may be harder to ever do again.
a moose hunt is a lot easier to pull off usually.
if it's like that in your case, go for the elk.

Fred1
02-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Personally I would go for the elk hunt - only because I have done dozens of moose hunts - neither is better than the other, they both have their merits. I have done far less elk hunting and would chose that. I have heard a hot / angry bull moose many times and it will always thrill me! I have only heard elk call a few time and wow it does the same thing! Choose wisely, and enjoy the hell out of it!!

Hillbros_96
02-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Elk for sure. Nothing like having a bull elk scream at you. Although moose is fun as well.

Bear Chaser
02-01-2014, 11:59 PM
Being in the mountains with elk bugling around you is an unbelievable drug. Once you've experienced it you'll always want to do it again.

hunter1947
02-02-2014, 05:07 AM
My opinion is go for the elk hunt elk can be a real challenge you can really get them going fired up with your calling I have had the opportunity to hunt both animals in the rut the elk action can be unbelievable when there worked up moose don't get worked up like elk do when you call them as you would know.

Regarding the taste of meat when both animals are in the rut If I had a choice between ether meat during the rut I would take the elk over the moose any day for some reason moose meat to me does not taste as good as elk when ether two are into full rut ,,if you can shoot a moose early in the rut then the meat would be as good as the elk to eat..

I have never had bad tasting elk meat when I have shot it in mid or late rut I have had some real stinky bad tasting meat when I shot a moose or my buddies had shot one in mid to late rut,,just my opinion good luck to you with the hunt in 2016 on witch ever hunt you decide to choose ,,H-47

1/2 slam
02-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Elk all the way.

J_T
02-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Depends how old you are. Choosing which hunt is less about the hunt and more about what happens too you after. A good elk hunt will cause some change in your life, it will be hard to hunt anything else after, it will cause you to taylor all your gear and funds towards future elk hunting. It may interupt a marriage, or cause you to move to a new city, as elk hunting will absorbe your waking moments. If I had to do it again, I'd go moose hunting.

fearnodeer
02-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Elk to me all the way, sends shivers down my spine listening to one call back.

HARDICAT
02-02-2014, 02:25 PM
I have never hunted moose but after calling in a Elk 15 feet away on my first try I am hooked for life.

.300WSMImpact!
02-02-2014, 02:46 PM
elk hunting will be more physically taxing specially heading to Montana or Idaho, but if you have ever hunted turkeys in Ontario and had the interactions and reactions, you will understand how fun elk hunting can be, I would choose elk but the moose hunt is not far off either good luck have fun neither is a bad choice

Wrayzer
02-02-2014, 02:52 PM
I've done both and had both come in to less than 30 yards rutting hard.
Hands down Elk hunting IMO is King.
Having the chance to sit back and have 2 bulls screaming in front of you will turn ya quickly into an Elkaholic.

Ltbullken
02-03-2014, 09:23 AM
If you want a better chance at meat in the freezer, I'd go with moose rut. When you call them, they respond almost predictably. Elk rut can be a ton of work and time trying to get a chance at the bull but outrageous fun. Be prepared for a rodeo during the elk rut and better be prepared for a good pack/haul out of the bush.

Argali
02-03-2014, 01:35 PM
If you are planning a rifle hunt for elk in Montana you had better study the regulations in detail because there are only a couple of difficult-access areas open for rifles during the elk rut. Nearly the entire state is archery only during the elk rut with the rife season opening Oct 26-Dec 1, well after the rut. However, if you want an archery hunt during the September elk rut, Montana is hard to beat.

Deeboe
02-03-2014, 02:07 PM
A screaming bull elk or a slow, waddling, oversized piece of beef?

If you're looking for excitement it's not even close.

I concur!! A screaming bull or a grunting moose..... There is no hunting like elk hunting...

glennw89
02-03-2014, 06:07 PM
The limited access areas are the ones I am focused on - Selway/Frank Church in Idaho, Absaroka-Beartooth in Montana. And yes, I know those areas have very challenging terrain, tough access, and lots of wolves. This trip would be as much about getting into the backcountry as much as killing an elk.

02-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Elk hunting is on a whole other level. Nothing really compares to it.

Argali
02-03-2014, 08:57 PM
Good, it sounds like you have looked into the regulations! I had the splendid opportunity to live and hunt in Montana for 3 years and found the hunting to be exceptional (pre-wolf days, not sure now!). Compared to my home areas in B.C., the elk and deer density was really high, the bush was mostly open and easy to walk through, and the weather was drier. I loved it. I got into archery in Montana just to enjoy the long archery elk-rut season and had shooting opportunities or close calls nearly every day out. I got some nice 6 and 7 point bulls and deer with the bow. Mostly I hunted several ranges west of Beartooth but Beartooth used to be awesome.

There are lots and lots of hunters but in my three years, I never saw one person/track more than about 1.6 km from the nearest road. If you look at the maps and find a spot about 3-8 km from the nearest road (not easy due to the number of roads and the relatively narrow mountain ranges) you will probably be alone. Due to the open bush, packing out the meat is relatively easy if you are fit and keen. Look for areas with large timber, some openings/hill sides with green grass, and plenty of water. If that fails, just walk towards the distant bugling!

Good luck if you go.

ace76
02-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Sounds like you can hunt moose any time in Ontario. Go for the elk, see some new country. All hunting is a rush for me, but when you get an elk 20 yards away in the trees screaming in your face while you are trying to count 6 points on one side. Now that is intense.

Geo.338
02-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Seeing as you are in Ontario , you have probably shot many moose . If this is the case go for the elk hunt . That said ,Moose in the rut is MY favourite hunt . It is the one thing I will be guaranteed to be doing every fall .

Good luck !

hawk-i
02-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Both are great hunts....Calling both moose or elk during the rut is exciting. I've shot a lot of moose over the years so for me I'd choose the Elk hunt. Why not book a Northern BC moose/elk hunt and try for both on one trip.

BRvalley
02-04-2014, 12:16 PM
IMO an elk hunt in Idaho trumps a northern ON moose hunt.....if you said Yukon/Alaska moose, that would be a tougher call

bowhunterbruce
02-04-2014, 05:31 PM
where im at the elk rut runs mid sept and moose rut peak has been oct 9 at the latest, id look at heading into the peace region of alberta on an extended hunting holiday and nail them both. I mean why on earth should anyone have to make a decision as tough as one or the other when both are so close together in the rut and live side by side.
bhb

280 77
02-04-2014, 09:40 PM
It would be Elk for me , easy decision.

The Hermit
02-04-2014, 10:52 PM
One of, if not the best hunt I've ever had was rifle hunting for moose from a canoe in northern BC at the start of the rut. It was just a magic time with my friend and we both killed moose. It is a ton of work once Mr Big is on the ground though so be prepared no matter what age you are.

I've hunting elk with my bow for nine years and only ever managed to get one arrow launched and friggin missed, ass still sore from self-kicking every time I think of it, ouch there I go again.

The above being said, I wouldn't miss elk camp in favor of a moose trip - elk hunting with a bow is like crack cocaine! Nothing like calling and having a screaming bull at 10 yards, hidden just behind those damned trees then leaving without giving me a shot!

You have a tough decision mate... either one beats the hell outta working! Have fun and let us know what you choose and update as you prep and do the hunt! Cheers

lip_ripper00
02-04-2014, 10:58 PM
where im at the elk rut runs mid sept and moose rut peak has been oct 9 at the latest, id look at heading into the peace region of alberta on an extended hunting holiday and nail them both. I mean why on earth should anyone have to make a decision as tough as one or the other when both are so close together in the rut and live side by side.
bhb

Can't argue that!!