PDA

View Full Version : A couple "grubby" fly patterns

muskrat
01-31-2014, 07:52 PM
I have caught many different species of fish on these patterns. They are weighted with alot of lead so sink like a rock. I love this pattern, making them can be a pain at times lol.

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t608/troutbugfisher/DSCF5041_zpsdabecc10.jpg (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/troutbugfisher/media/DSCF5041_zpsdabecc10.jpg.html)
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t608/troutbugfisher/DSCF5044_zps6d2e6fba.jpg (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/troutbugfisher/media/DSCF5044_zps6d2e6fba.jpg.html)

monasheemountainman
01-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Those look really good! Well done!

coach
01-31-2014, 08:29 PM
You sure tie some amazing flies, muskrat! Thanks for sharing you exceptional patterns with us. Do you sell them or just tie for enjoyment?

muskrat
01-31-2014, 08:38 PM
You sure tie some amazing flies, muskrat! Thanks for sharing you exceptional patterns with us. Do you sell them or just tie for enjoyment?

I do tie for people. I used to tie commercially and for local shops but I just burnt myself out and had no time to tie for myself. I only take so many orders at once now so I don't become overrun. I have one order for a fella on this site I am working on right now, then when that is done and someone asks for some I will take their list. I have some people that have been buying off me for over 10 years.

I enjoy it but will never do the commercial thing again, that just ruins it LOL

The bonus of tying for people is you make new friends and longtime customers.

coach
01-31-2014, 08:41 PM
I do tie for people. I used to tie commercially and for local shops but I just burnt myself out and had no time to tie for myself. I only take so many orders at once now so I don't become overrun. I have one order for a fella on this site I am working on right now, then when that is done and someone asks for some I will take their list. I have some people that have been buying off me for over 10 years.

I enjoy it but will never do the commercial thing again, that just ruins it LOL

The bonus of tying for people is you make new friends and longtime customers.

Totally understandable. I've really enjoyed your recent posts - awesome stuff!

muskrat
01-31-2014, 08:43 PM

thanks I enjoy sharing and helping others. If you ever see ap attern you like and want to try one or two just let me know, I dont mind doing that at all

oneheadshot
01-31-2014, 08:46 PM
Awesome job man! Them grub patterns are looking slick, Can't wait for the ice to come off!!!

muskrat
01-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Awesome job man! Them grub patterns are looking slick, Can't wait for the ice to come off!!!

I used to tie these alot for the ice fishermen

coach
01-31-2014, 09:59 PM
thanks I enjoy sharing and helping others. If you ever see ap attern you like and want to try one or two just let me know, I dont mind doing that at all

I'm pretty certain your stoneflies would be dynamite in Canim river. :-D I'll likely be pm'ing you in the near future. Hoping to get back there to fish sometime this summer.

muskrat
01-31-2014, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty certain your stoneflies would be dynamite in Canim river. :-D I'll likely be pm'ing you in the near future. Hoping to get back there to fish sometime this summer.

Sounds good!

avadad
02-01-2014, 12:21 AM
Love seeing your work muskrat! Your inspiring me to teach my kids.

muskrat
02-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Love seeing your work muskrat! Your inspiring me to teach my kids.

My 3 and 4 year old daughters LOVE sitting at the desk and flytying. Nothing beats teaching your little ones the art of flytying

Beachcomber
02-01-2014, 01:24 AM
Thanks for posting these patterns.Given you tie a lot are you aware of a source for shadow boxes? I have some Atlantic salmon flies I want to mount.Thanks

muskrat
02-01-2014, 02:12 AM
Thanks for posting these patterns.Given you tie a lot are you aware of a source for shadow boxes? I have some Atlantic salmon flies I want to mount.Thanks

I have ordered online and dollarama actually carries them

Sofa King
02-02-2014, 01:32 PM
muskrat, do you tie any trolling patterns?
like streamers or fry patterns?

muskrat
02-02-2014, 01:33 PM
muskrat, do you tie any trolling patterns?
like streamers or fry patterns?

Yes I do, when I get the chance I will post some pictures for you.

Any specific ones you like?

Sofa King
02-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Yes I do, when I get the chance I will post some pictures for you.

Any specific ones you like?

cool, thanks.
anything you do would be awesome to see.
your work is a pleasure to view.

muskrat
02-02-2014, 02:01 PM
cool, thanks.
anything you do would be awesome to see.
your work is a pleasure to view.

Thanks! I am more then happy to share. Ill post some flys for trolling for you later.

I enjoy sharing and helping anyone I can. Trying to contribute what I can

Stone Sheep Steve
02-02-2014, 04:28 PM

Me too! Top shelf work all the way Muskrat...including your pics! Makes me miss sitting down at the bench.

SSS

frenchbar
02-02-2014, 04:33 PM
i gota think the green pattern would work good on the whitefish in the creeks here .nice looking flies muskrat.

muskrat
02-02-2014, 04:37 PM
i gota think the green pattern would work good on the whitefish in the creeks here .nice looking flies muskrat.

Its actually brown but the lighting made it look reddish.

I first used those patterns for whitefish. bounce that along the bottom or a creek or river and oh man did I get results. Even in lakes, ice fishermen used them alot to. But they work for all species so far

frenchbar
02-02-2014, 04:43 PM
i always use my spinning rod and helgramites for the whitefish ..but i'l have to give a pattern like that and the flyrod a go in the spring ..the creeks loaded with WF in April and May .

muskrat
02-02-2014, 04:50 PM
i always use my spinning rod and helgramites for the whitefish ..but i'l have to give a pattern like that and the flyrod a go in the spring ..the creeks loaded with WF in April and May .

That and some mini wolly worms always did the trick for whitefish.

Or egg patterns would slay them aswell

I always used to fish the Quesnel river by Likely and would hammer the whitefish their. Man I miss that area