PDA

View Full Version : Early sheep leh vs gos

Livinlarge
01-30-2014, 10:39 PM
So I'm doing tons of research and try to plan my first sheep hunt. My plan was to put in for some high odds sheep leh closer to the LM and then when i dont get drawn hunt the gos in region 7.

Then I got a looking into the leh sheep draw in region 6, more specifically the one in the spatsizi. Made me wonder why they would have a leh draw in there with almost guaranteed odds.

Is there any sort of benefit in hunting this leh over a gos in region 7? Are the number of hunters in the are less in these early sheep leh in region 6 as opposed to gos in 7?

Any insight why this may be a better way to go to chase some stones?

boxhitch
01-31-2014, 12:03 AM
The Spatsizi draw is in a provincial park , where a gos would never happen . Permit odds are low , which may give some indication of what people think of the hunt.

On a gos hunt , guys can build on experience in a given area , going back to hunt the same spot as often as they want.
Leh homework usually starts just after the notifications come out.

Low compared to reg 7 ? Lots of sheep country in 7 never gets hunted.

ru rancher
01-31-2014, 12:12 AM
read my spatsizi thread if you want got any questions PM me

Livinlarge
01-31-2014, 11:25 AM
That's a very good point about going to a gos area and gaining that knowledge you can use for years to come. I'm expecting this to be at least a five year plan of gaining experience and knowledge before scoring. I have been leaning towards the 7 gos but was just curious about the region 6 hunts.

Other than no gos in the spatsizi because of it being a provincial park is there any other ways it would differ from other non park areas?

Cordillera
01-31-2014, 10:59 PM
In general region 6 has fewer residents concentrated in fewer places due to limited access. Region 7 has easier access and generally higher densities. The average age of rams harvested is higher in six than seven. Both have places that are not much hunted and both have areas with more pressure due to easy access. Spatsizi is just plain hard and expensive to get to which is why it doesn't have as many residents. For several years the rail grade was closed so it was either a really long quad ride or fly in. The rail grade was open again last year but could easily close again in spring flood this year.