PDA

View Full Version : APA Bows - Reviews, Thoughts etc

The Hermit
01-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Hey archers... what are your thoughts on APA bows? Being that they are made in Canada I'm interested to consider them this year.

Sofa King
01-30-2014, 02:18 PM
take a drive out to biggar and check out their shop.
I did when I spent the year out there before last.
it's pretty cool.

TheProvider
01-30-2014, 02:29 PM
If I wasnt switching to traditional they would be rop of my list. They have a bow for everyone. Theres a reason why they are next to impossible to find used.

Big Lew
01-30-2014, 02:50 PM
I checked them out prior to purchasing a PSE Dream Season a couple of years ago. They were my first choice, just beating out PSE, but I have dealt with a local archery shop for many years which promotes PSE so decided to go that route. I have no regrets in my decision, but I would look at APA again if I were in the market to buy a new one. It is Canadian, very well made, and keenly competitive with the best bows.

01-30-2014, 03:05 PM
I have an APA Viper. It's been a great bow.

E.V.B.H.
01-30-2014, 03:49 PM
None of the above. Bowtech for me, seems to be a few big brands missing from the poll

Ron.C
01-30-2014, 04:06 PM
You know I shoot a Bowtech Hermit. "surprised they aren't in your poll". But to be honest, if I were going to buy a new bow this year I'd want to shoot as many different brands/models as possible before making up my mind. Could care less who makes it, I have no brand loyalty when it comes to my outdoor gear. But when it comes to something that requires that personal fit/feel, you know it once you've found it.

Having said all that, I have heard good things about APA and would love to test shoot one.

TheProvider
01-30-2014, 04:21 PM
One thing that comes to mind Hermit specially for you looking at it for business. There are far more shops that carry PSE. Most people want to shoot as many bows as possible. But if there are no local dealers that makes it impossible. If your a PSE dealer like the shop in the following town then it comes down to who has the better price. Plenty of people have heard about APA but few have shot them due to lack of dealers. Yes they have their test drove program but I have a feeling most will still lean to local shops.

Big Lew
01-30-2014, 04:38 PM
One thing that comes to mind Hermit specially for you looking at it for business. There are far more shops that carry PSE. Most people want to shoot as many bows as possible. But if there are no local dealers that makes it impossible. If your a PSE dealer like the shop in the following town then it comes down to who has the better price. Plenty of people have heard about APA but few have shot them due to lack of dealers. Yes they have their test drove program but I have a feeling most will still lean to local shops.

I agree. Had there been an APA shop in the Fraser Valley I most likely would have dealt with them if I could find a model that felt right with me.

keoke
01-30-2014, 05:59 PM
I still think the west coast archers need to look at strother a lot closer

TheProvider
01-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Currently shoot a Strother Sx Rush and absolutely love it. Going to sell it only to go traditional

Foxtail
01-30-2014, 07:31 PM
There are so many great bows now. You can't really make a bad decision. I got to handle a few of the APA bows about a year ago. Really nice bows, love the carry handle, built in tools and the lack of a need for a bow press to work on them. That said, they are a bit pricey for me.

Vader
01-31-2014, 10:31 AM
I own an Apa Boa. Bought it 2009 because it was canadian and it had the specs for a one cam bow I was looking for. I have put a lot of miles on it and have shot multiples of 3D and practice arrows. Handle shows signs of wear but the bow is still in spec and shoots the same as when I got it through the Chrony. I am on my third set of strings, thats how many arrows its gone through. It chrony's at 297 fps with a 387 grain arrow at 72 lbs. IBO is 328. Let off is 80% so holding 14.4 lbs at full draw.

I bought a PSE Supra ME at 60 lbs to shoot targets with. The bow is excellent except that the hold weight is 15.5 lbs because of the 75% let off. I honestly don't shoot this bow better than my apa. I find the hold weight is quite a bit more and its hard to believe that 1 lb would make that much difference but muscle memory knows the difference. The Supra also chronys at its IBO of 328 fps with my present arrow setup.

The APA is a hunter bow for sure. The PSE is a target bow. Both can be used for either but it's obvious to me after shooting both that they are specific in their use.

I did consider APA for a target bow.. they do make some.. I wish they had the try before you buy when I was in the market.

Any competent bow technician can work on APA bows. If your one of those tinkerer's then APA is simple. Warranty is not an issue with the APA folks.

Vader
01-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Oh yeah.. far as price goes.... I paid about the same.

killman
01-31-2014, 10:45 PM
I have a pit viper. Love it! Definitely buy another.

mikeboehm
01-31-2014, 11:11 PM
I own a pse omen pro and love it. But u left bowtech off the poll. Im looking at a bowtech carbon overdrive. Light and pretty fast

Shooter
02-01-2014, 07:39 AM
I have been fighting the urge to get my hands on one of the new Elite Energy bows. They are getting some amazing reviews, and I am on my second Elite now. My wife and son both shoot Hoyt but I love my Elite Pulse.

Sitkaspruce
02-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Elite for me, have not tried a lot of other bows, but the Elite I am shooting is amazing. Looking into either buying the GT500 I am borrowing, a used Answer or waiting for the E35. Decision decision....

Cheers

SS

Shooter
02-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Elite for me, have not tried a lot of other bows, but the Elite I am shooting is amazing. Looking into either buying the GT500 I am borrowing, a used Answer or waiting for the E35. Decision decision....

Cheers

SS

With all the hype the E35 is getting I would have to try it out if I were looking at getting a new bow right now.

Sitkaspruce
02-01-2014, 11:51 AM
With all the hype the E35 is getting I would have to try it out if I were looking at getting a new bow right now.

I would if I could find one to try. No dealers close to where I live, closest is 7 hours away. So I have to go with what others say. But I can get a 13 Answer for $500-$550 and still have some $$$ left over for extras. The best E35 price I can find is in Nova Scotia or in Saskatchewan, but I cannot try before I buy. The GT500 shoots amazing, just need to talk to owner into selling it to me. Will have my own bow soon.......

Cheers

SS

donny.brooke
02-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Elite all the way for me, i have owned alot of APA bows in my day but switched to Elite once i shot the gt500. Hands down way nicer than the APA. If you look into the APA bows the cams and risers havnt changed in several years. They just get a new paint job and name every year and in this high tech and dollar world they are being left behind. Shoot all the new bows and decide for yourself. Do yourself a favour and try an elite. PM me if you want to try my energy 32

Shooter
02-01-2014, 03:51 PM
PM me if you want to try my energy 32

Have you tried the E35? Im very curious how the 2 compare.

The Hermit
02-02-2014, 01:05 AM
Well check out this similar poll that I posted on Archery Talk... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/poll.php?pollid=15244&do=showresults
only one guy voted APA lots for Elite and Hoyt and lots of people gave me hell for not mentioning their fav bows. Ha Some 340 votes.

Big Lew
02-02-2014, 07:10 AM
Well check out this similar poll that I posted on Archery Talk... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/poll.php?pollid=15244&do=showresults
only one guy voted APA lots for Elite and Hoyt and lots of people gave me hell for not mentioning their fav bows. Ha Some 340 votes.

Goes to show you that location, regions, and proximity to sales and service, have a big influence on potential customers. I also subscribe to ' Archery Talk' but even though they have a Canadian sub-forum, most of the active users are from the eastern or southern States. Most bow manufacturing companies are in the States and spend huge amounts with their advertising and promotions, so unless an 'outsider' manufacturer's product has a revolutionary or distinct advantage, it's basically ignored.

donny.brooke
02-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Have you tried the E35? Im very curious how the 2 compare.

I havnt tried the 35 yet but will be ordering mine next week. Im going to shoot more 3d this year and hope i can be competative this year with it. My 32 is the most dead in hand and quiet bow i have ever shot to date.

Shooter
02-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Keep us updated how the 2 compare to each other. I would love to hear first hand

donny.brooke
02-02-2014, 07:44 AM
I will for sure. About a month til my 35 shows up.

Hillbros_96
02-02-2014, 08:08 AM
I have a friend that is a test shooter for APA, and they are a good company, but I would more likely buy the elite if I only had the choice of the above list. I have shot a couple of both the APA and elite and liked them both. I just find APA to gimmicky for my taste.

MerrittBow
02-02-2014, 09:08 AM
The new alpines look nice, I love my nitrous

bugler
02-02-2014, 11:43 AM
A lot of our competitive youth archers are shooting APA with very good results. If they have a 38" plus axle to axle model I would consider trying one for my next bow (finger shooter)

Sofa King
02-02-2014, 01:04 PM
I have a friend that is a test shooter for APA, and they are a good company, but I would more likely buy the elite if I only had the choice of the above list. I have shot a couple of both the APA and elite and liked them both. I just find APA to gimmicky for my taste.

gimmicky?
I wouldn't really call including useful tools built-in to a bow "gimmicky".
the hanging tooth is an absolutely awesome idea I think.
http://apaarchery.com/canada/image/cache/data/2014/viper%20t39-2000x2000.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=8tG1o7WaJgPV6M&tbnid=aCXlYjoynZQr4M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.apaarchery.com%2Fcanada%2Fbow s&ei=XqTuUqLDO4mCogSazoCoBw&bvm=bv.60444564,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNGkDPHTFeT5YCd2ZXMjQYBAyhZvhw&ust=1391457741286600)

Vader
02-02-2014, 01:28 PM
The FANG is probably the most used item on the bow for me. I hate laying my bow on the ground.. Lotsa big feet around a target during 3-d season.

Sofa King
02-02-2014, 01:34 PM
The FANG is probably the most used item on the bow for me. I hate laying my bow on the ground.. Lotsa big feet around a target during 3-d season.

or especially in a treestand, where a huge amount of bows spend their time.
it's actually ridiculous that apa is the only company to have this.
I think that's pretty impressive actually.

Xenomorph
02-03-2014, 05:22 PM
or especially in a treestand, where a huge amount of bows spend their time.
it's actually ridiculous that apa is the only company to have this.
I think that's pretty impressive actually.

I think they are impressive, innovative and Canadian. It's just by the force of circumstances that I haven't ended up with one yet. It will come in the near future, I'm sure.

Jonas111
02-07-2014, 07:04 AM
When I look at bows a lot of times I do a ton of research on them before I even shoot them. One of the main things I research is resale value. I know to most people that doesn't matter but to me it tells me how they stand up to the test of actual shooters. If people will pay $500 for a three year old Elite and only $250 for 3 year old APA then it tells me the value is in Elite. I am not saying thats the truth, just used them as an example.

I never did like APA for a few reasons. First reason is there risers are extremely heaving and top weighted. Very hard to balance properly for me. The other was there cam technology doesn't change, like Donny said earlier. All they do is paint them different colors and call them a different bow.

I have been shooting Hoyt Target bows for quite a few years now and I understand how Hoyt Cams work so I have switched all my bows over to Hoyt. Have the Carbon Element G3 right now but ordered the Carbon Spyder Turbo in December. I shoot a Pro Comp Elite and a Vantage Elite Plus. I more enjoy the target archery side of things these days because I don't get out hunting near as much as I would like too.

I personally think any of the new bows are great and you need to feel it in your hands and take a shot to know if you like a bow or not. Just my opinion.

Sofa King
02-07-2014, 09:17 AM
the bottom line is that all the #'s that any bow claim don't really mean anything if that bow isn't comfortable in an individual's hands.
I don't fall for the "fastest bow" claims that some companies seem to impress people with.
accuracy is most important, and that will come easiest will a bow that feels just right when held, comfort is important.
and everyone is going to find that with different bows.
I'm impressed with the look of certain bows, and turned off by others.
but one doesn't know which is just right for them until they hold it in their hands.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-08-2014, 10:44 AM
I should have my E35 in my hands by the end of the of the week. I wont shoot it in my clubs indoor 3D next week.
I dont like APA because they dont balance for me ... they are inconsistant for me.
They are great bows for a circa 2004 era design ... Cam design and riser design has advanced so much since then ... APA is left behind.

knockturnal
02-14-2014, 07:16 PM
I've shot a bunch of APAs that my 3d friends shoot and have yet to find one that I like. They have a sub-par draw cycle. Vibrate like crazy in my hand. Noisy. And, like Jonas said, weirdly balanced.

mr.280
02-15-2014, 05:32 PM
To each his own they say! I'll say this, I love em! If you want to own a wicked Canadian made bow,Do It. I've owned and or shot many modern makes like pse hoit elite and bowteck I think way back in the early 90's my first compound was a Jennings.Just try out as many as you can,some people are more adaptable and can shoot anything.Reading here that the APA was too top heavy or didn't fit me right,Myself I have no problem picking up any bow,setting it up and accurately shooting it in no time.Also about this remark-APA is not keeping up with different cam and limb tech.,why is that, -when you have something that is deadly tough accurate and not a tuning nightmare, stick with it awhile, make some money and a lot of fans around the world! I'ts like like the controlled round feed Mauser action in the bolt rifle,until there is frigg'n massive tech advances you don't change a solid thing.

mr.280
02-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Here is my review of the APA Mamba M6. I purchased one in late 2012 factory delivered to my door. Installed a Rip Cord fallaway rest and after the initial tuning haven't adjusted anything since. I shoot it almost every day and it's still tack driving my goldtips out there at a little over 300 fps. with a 28" draw set at 60lbs. can't say enough good things about it,just a perfect fit for me. Can't argue much about any of the top brands they are all going to be a fine hunting tool,through lots of practice and having fun with the passion of archery,success just comes naturally in the field. But if you want shoot a Proud Canadian made bow---Choose Your Venom!

000buck
02-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Just spent the last 2 days with Nibel at the APA shop and facility in biggar. Wow was I surprised to see what goes into one of their bows. I built 2 bows right from the riser out and watched and helped Kyle assemble many more. So much of the build is done by hand infact all except the machining. Even the limb logos are silk screened on to each limb one at a time, spent this morning doing that with Dave and then I inserted the limb tip stabilizers in each limb one at a time 2 per limb about 70 limbs. Very impressive operation over all and it's very cool to meet the guys that make it happen. Was worth the trip from van isle to reinforce the reason I am APA crazy..... MADE IN CANADA by .... Hey, me.

Stealth
02-23-2014, 10:33 AM
I shot Hoyt's for years and tried a lot of other brands but never found one that felt any better than what I had. Then I shot a Prime Defy last year and I couldn't believe how well it shot. Bought one and no regrets other than no dealer on The island.

sternfan69
03-11-2014, 02:33 PM
I bought the m34 at christmas and love it. That being said it is only my second bow I've ever had but I got nothing to complain about and the service was great. Went for the test drive and never sent it back.

TheProvider
03-11-2014, 05:29 PM
The M34 is one of the most well rounded bows I've seen

Eastbranch
05-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Hey guys, I'm really figuring on the Mamba Air for my next shooter... does anyone know which shops in BC have a stock of APA bows I could test drive? I will be travelling all over between Vancouver & PG in a couple weeks. I talked to Ted & T&F in PG but he only has one on the shelf and it's an older model.

Shooter
05-05-2014, 05:02 PM
I shot Hoyt's for years and tried a lot of other brands but never found one that felt any better than what I had. Then I shot a Prime Defy last year and I couldn't believe how well it shot. Bought one and no regrets other than no dealer on The island.

Tyee Marine in Courtenay and Campbell River deals in prime now.

BiG Boar
05-05-2014, 05:50 PM
I just picked up a mamba M34. Looking forward to sending some carbon express down range once my cam modulate come in. Have to say I'm not super impressed they're not here yet. I paid for them on the 22nd! Get to work canada post! I could have walked there in that time.

lorneparker1
05-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Did you get your cam module yet?

The Hermit
05-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Contact 000Buck to see if he has cams available...

open-sights
05-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I cant speak for any of the others in the list as I have never held any models except the Elite 35. I own a bowtec and have loved it, had a Hoyt years ago and loved it as well. Anyone that is competent as a shooter that wants to put the new elite 35 rh 60lb 28" draw in their hands for a test drive. I am not selling it but can let you shoot it. Contact me through pm. Can shoot out to 100 yrds at my place in langley although this setup is only ready to 60 yards.
As an honest opinion for this model only.. I am extremely happy with it. Very quiet, backwall is solid with zero creep. First 3 shots sounded like there was a funny sound. Found a dampner not tightened up and put an end to that easy enough. Improved my groups over my older bowtec guardian and made me a big fan of a brand I hadnt yet looked at.