PDA

View Full Version : Recurves: Mass produced (Hoyts, etc) vs Semi-Customs (Black Widows, etc)

Dukeoflawnchair
01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Hi there folks!

So I've been a firearm fan for years - done everything from blackpowder + antique shooting to IDPA, trap, and long distance tacticool poseur extraordinaire shooting. This eventually led into playing with crossbows for a while, and then compound bows, and then I tried something new this past few weeks.

I made the mistake of stopping into our local archery club and picking up a recurve bow.

Unfortunately, there really isn't much the way of traditional shooting up here. The local shop, while having a phenominal firearm section, only has a few Ragim recurves.

After reading a bunch of reviews, I have a Greybark on its way here. I also really like the look of some of the Hoyt hunters.

How do the two compare? Do the mass produced mainstream bows have anything on the quasi-customs? Would it be a bad idea to get both as I'm still definitely a beginner?

Either way, looks like I'll need to drive down to PG next month to have a better look-see at what's available...

Many thanks,

TheProvider
01-30-2014, 12:28 PM
I would say for your first tradtional bow unless you spend a lot of time trying different bows and speaking with a bowyer a custon bow might not be worth it for your first bow unless you know exactly what you want.

Are you looking at hunting with the bow? Might be better to pick up two similar bows of different weights or a takedown bow with two different sets of limbs. Training your muscles with the lower weight bow and workibg your way up to a hunting weight.

Once you have a idea exactly what you want. Having a custon bow made and being able to choose the exact length, weight and wood options for looks, smoothness and power is a great option. Far from a compound where you can just simply adjust a few screws. With mas manufactored bows there are lots of options out there but still far less than a custom bow.

I am recently getting back into traditional bows. I have an older recurve at #35 and debating what to get in a hunting weight bow. I like having the options of a custom made bow but because my experience with traditional gear is far from thst of compounds. I may simply get a mass manufactored bow. Then get a custom made bow. Although at times the the price can be very close so shooting a few bows and speaking with a bowyer it may be just as well to go with a custom bow.

greybark
01-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Hey you Two , note the BW PTFX I have in the For Sale thread .
Cheers

Dukeoflawnchair
01-31-2014, 04:09 PM
Hey there Greybark!

Unfortunately, I closed the deal on my greybark the day before you posted...