PDA

View Full Version : BC Premier's Special Sheep Permit Auctioned

David Heitsman
01-29-2014, 08:48 AM
There was quite a BC contingent down in Reno this weekend for the Wild Sheep Foundation Convention. (formerly FNAWS) I was surprised how many I knew or knew me on the plane heading down.

Along with all the other state governors sheep tags that sold for huge values, the BC Permit was auctioned for $130,000 US! This is fantastic news for BC sheep and wildlife programs.

What makes this special is that a BC resident was the high bidder. Our hats are off to people that step in huge for conservation.

If you ever get a chance to see a fundraiser, I do recommend this one.

David Heitsman
01-29-2014, 08:50 AM
I keep checking the newspaper for an article on it, especially in light of the DSC rhino auction debacle but nothing so far.

01-29-2014, 09:03 AM
I keep checking the newspaper for an article on it, especially in light of the DSC rhino auction debacle but nothing so far.

The papers probably won't pick it up unless they can find a way to make it controversial and negative.

bcmulie
01-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Good stuff, David. Who bought the permit?

BigfishCanada
01-29-2014, 12:56 PM
WOW a BC BCBidder, awesome, what area was the auction for?

bighornbob
01-29-2014, 02:14 PM
WOW a BC BCBidder, awesome, what area was the auction for?

The winner can hunt anywhere in BC that has a sheep season up to Dec 10 I believe. So depending what the hunter wants he can hunt Rocky Mountain bighorns in the Kootenays once they leave the coal mines or hunt Kamloops Lake if they want a Cali or hunt for Stones in an area that only has sheep once the regular season is closed.

Oh to get the tag!!!

BHB

coach
01-29-2014, 02:19 PM
The winner can hunt anywhere in BC that has a sheep season up to Dec 10 I believe. So depending what the hunter wants he can hunt Rocky Mountain bighorns in the Kootenays once they leave the coal mines or hunt Kamloops Lake if they want a Cali or hunt for Stones in an area that only has sheep once the regular season is closed.

Oh to get the tag!!!
BHB

It is possible - without spending $130,000. From: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh.html

Notice on Special Mountain Sheep Resident Draw

The lucky winner of the 2014 Resident Special Sheep Permit was selected at random by Alec Dale, Executive Director of Ecosystems Branch, Ministry of Environment, on Monday July 22, 2013. The winner is David Turchanski.

The Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch is pleased to announce the Special Mountain Sheep Resident Draw. This authorization provides a special opportunity to hunt your choice of Thinhorn Sheep (Dall’s and Stone’s) or Bighorn Sheep (California and Rocky Mountain) and to support conservation efforts that will benefit mountain sheep in British Columbia.

The draw allows the successful applicant to take one mountain sheep in excess of the regular bag limit during a special extended hunting period and will be valid during the limited entry hunting and general open hunting season for sheep. If the species of choice is Bighorn Sheep, the opportunity to hunt will be extended until December 20, approximately one month past the end of the latest sheep hunting season date. If the species of choice is a Thinhorn Sheep, the opportunity to hunt will be open earlier by 21 days prior to the opening of the regular sheep hunting season and will close on March 31.

The Special Mountain Sheep Resident Draw is valid for any male sheep. The successful resident is required to hold a valid resident hunting licence, a mountain sheep species licence and the Special Mountain Sheep authorization while hunting under the Special Mountain Sheep authorization. While the Special Mountain Sheep authorization allows the successful application to harvest 2 sheep in the licence year, the hunter may only hold one uncancelled sheep species licence at one time.

The Special Mountain Sheep Resident Draw applications are available through Service BC Offices and vendors.

Watch for the 2015 Limited Entry Hunting synopsis for details on the 2014 Special Mountain Sheep draw.

quaint bucket
01-30-2014, 09:16 AM
Very cool, I'm happy for the winner and hope he gets what he's looking for.

His contribution is more than great.

panhead
01-30-2014, 10:05 AM
I'm surprised they publish his name these day's. Hope his money goes where it should. Wish him luck ...

01-30-2014, 10:05 AM
I purchase a few Special Sheep applications every year. It's a good feeling knowing that no matter what, the money goes towards conservation.

ru rancher
01-30-2014, 10:13 AM
i never knew to much about this tag with it you can hunt sheep anywhere in bc? and they do a draw for one and sell one? right?

Fella
01-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Glad a BC resident got it although I consider it "the icing on the cake"

bighornbob
01-30-2014, 10:39 AM
i never knew to much about this tag with it you can hunt sheep anywhere in bc? and they do a draw for one and sell one? right?

Yes. The auction tag will cost you about 100,000. While a the draw tag only costs $15 and you can buy as many as you want.

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
01-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Yes. The auction tag will cost you about 100,000. While a the draw tag only costs $15 and you can buy as many as you want.

BHB

Yep, buy a few and your odds are better than drawing the regular Kamloops Lake draw...and you can also hunt there if you choose.

SSS

01-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Yep, buy a few and your odds are better than drawing the regular Kamloops Lake draw...and you can also hunt there if you choose.

SSS

Do you know how many applications are purchased each year on average?

bighornbob
01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Do you know how many applications are purchased each year on average?

From 2001 to 2010 the average was 1961 applications, with a high of 2772 in 2007 and a low of 991 in 2004. If you want to read more about the permits the whole report is here:

http://www.hctf.ca/communications/reports-and-publications/investing-in-conservation

BHB

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
01-30-2014, 09:50 PM
From 2001 to 2010 the average was 1961 applications, with a high of 2772 in 2007 and a low of 991 in 2004. If you want to read more about the permits the whole report is here:

http://www.hctf.ca/communications/reports-and-publications/investing-in-conservation

BHB
25,000$ can buy the tag like Dave turchanski ... Greg Rhyason ...,cheep for the oil patch pipeline contractors .
great for the sheep but tough for the average joe ... Just saying ....

bighornbob
01-30-2014, 11:52 PM
25,000$ can buy the tag like Dave turchanski ... Greg Rhyason ...,cheep for the oil patch pipeline contractors .
great for the sheep but tough for the average joe ... Just saying ....

Guess who bought the auction tag?

Bhb

ru rancher
01-31-2014, 12:00 AM
i think its a great idea to have those permits so how come then the kamloops lake ram is always so widly known when it gets shot and less so of these other two rams witch one would think would be just as impressive?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
01-31-2014, 09:10 PM
Guess who bought the auction tag?

Bhb
Are saying Dave has both the auction tag and resident draw tag too?

358mag
01-31-2014, 10:48 PM
Are saying Dave has both the auction tag and resident draw tag too?

Yes he does . Husband and wife combo .

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-01-2014, 05:43 AM
Lol ^^^^^^ that's funny

Rackmastr
02-01-2014, 07:54 AM

Wow....good for him. That would be one hell of an epic year of hunting I'd imagine!

2chodi
02-01-2014, 08:51 AM

They do a lot of hunting together.

bighornbob
02-01-2014, 10:10 AM
i think its a great idea to have those permits so how come then the kamloops lake ram is always so widly known when it gets shot and less so of these other two rams witch one would think would be just as impressive?

The kamloops lake rams shot every year by regular leh holders are no where near the caliber of the other two rams. Most years I know of a ram that is shot in the general season along the fraser river that is bigger then the kamloops lake leh rams. The difference is almost all the guys that get drawn for kamloops lake don't really hunt sheep, so they are happy with an average sheep. The guys that buy multiple special sheep tags or the auction tag are sheep hunters so they spend a lot of time scouting the tag areas or the sheep around or have guys doing it for them.

Also if you are a die hard sheep you know other die hards and eventually word comes around of what was shot by the special sheep tags or pictures or the actual head are seen in sheep mags or at the sheep conventions.

Bhb