PDA

View Full Version : My first goat, and my hate for wolves.

NorBC
01-29-2014, 12:11 AM
Was debating even posting this story.

A big thanks to KitimatKiller and Warnniklz for all the help, locations, and company on the mountains.

For the past 6 months my life has been goats. My family, my girlfriend, my friends, my job, and many HBC members know this. Working 6 days a week, with only Sundays too hunt. Lots of hrs glassing, hiking, falling, and cursing weather.
That being said last sunday I dropped my girlfriend off at the airport for 1 pm and decided I would haul a$$ to my draw, and see if I could find this big billy KitimatKiller and I came across the week before.( he was in a very bad spot ) I didn't bother glassing from the bottom being pressed for time, and made my way to the trail. After a terrible hike up through the creek, and a horrible climb up the side of the canyon I was in my new favourite spot for about 4pm. After glassing for only 30 mins a goat popped out across the canyon on the other side. I studied him. Heavy bases, nice gradual curve he wasn't the booner from the week before, but he was a nice billy. And was about 200 feet lower. I wasn't sure if he would roll all the way down to the slide below. Just finishing reading Pat Ferguson's "Gone Hunting" I didn't care, I was ready to retrieve him at all costs.. just like Pat. I grabbed my shooting sticks, and my 338 lapua. ( say what you want. Stopping power meant everything for this spot ) He ranged in for 237yrds. After about 2 minutes of staring through the scope I was finally steady enough to pull the trigger. BOOM. Scrambling through the scope too see if I hit him I caught a little glimpse of a white blob sliding. I looked up and saw the goat sliding, then rolling, and then falling right into the slide. ( this was the happiest moment of my life ) I packed up my gear, and started to descend back the way I came. ( you can't go straight down because of cliffs ) It was already dusk by the time I has half way out of the canyon. I reached the bottom of the canyon where the creek meets the slide. The goat was a long way up the slide, and already being dark I decided it was in my best interest to head down the creek before it was pitch black. I think KitimatKiller would agree that was a smart choice at the time. It is a very hard climb even in the light.
When I arrived in the morning I could see from the bottom that the eagles have found my trophy. I started up the trail at first light. Right away I find big wolf tracks following my tracks from the day before. Just a coincidence right? I find more half way up the creek, and more heading up the slide. 2 eagles and a dozen crows were feasting as I climbed the ice boulders to reach my prize. When I was getting close I tried to prepare for the worst. Nothing could have prepared me for that sight. Everything was gone. No meat, and hardly a cape left. About all they left was a gut pile, and furry crap. I snapped some pics, cut off the head, measured the horns and started my descent. I was pretty up set, but tried to make the best of everything. Always wanted a goat euro mount.. Not. Things are looking better now. I got my hands on another cape. I'm still going to get my shoulder mount, but I'm not going to get my sausage. I measured the horns and got a unofficial score of 48.5" and I'm pretty happy with that, hopefully it holds up and I have myself an actual booner. If not I could care less. It's still by far my best trophy. It was a great solo hunt. An awesome experience. And a very important lesson. If one thing is for sure about this whole experience it is this. I really f$&@ing hate wolves.

But I have definitely been bitten by the bug, and can not wait to chase my next goat.

NorBC
01-29-2014, 12:17 AM
Currently trying to upload photos from my phone.

604redneck
01-29-2014, 12:22 AM
What's min for b&c? My buddies scored 51 7/8 is awards 47 and all time 50?

NorBC
01-29-2014, 12:24 AM
I'm only sure about 47 being min.

scottwh
01-29-2014, 12:25 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss. That sux big time. Goat hunting is addicting and you live in a great place for it. You'll get another! Its kinda nice to shoot goats in the morning so you have some daylight to get it caped, deboned and out safely!

BCbillies
01-29-2014, 12:36 AM
Yup . . . All Time is 50. Thanks for sharing and it's even worse given that it was your first goat and was a decent billy. Things like this will happen if you hunt long enough. I had a wolverine walk away with my salted sheep cape last year!

warnniklz
01-29-2014, 01:31 AM
I'll toss up pictures in the morning

hunter1947
01-29-2014, 04:42 AM
Solo hunt you did the right thing getting out of there before dark safety first your life is worth more then any game animal you lost the cape and meat but you got the horns as you said you got your hands on another one I myself lost my mule deer meat the same way you did I got the antlers the predators got the meat.

Your story was a nice reed looking forward to seeing your pictures one thing you won't ever forget is the moment you squeezed the trigger on your goat and put him down yes this will be with you forever my question to you is if you had a couple other buddies with you would of you gone up and got this goat out that night ???? just curios because I had to leave my bull elk over night solo hunt same as you had to do ,,,big congrats to you getting this dream book goat...

NorBC
01-29-2014, 05:34 AM
Warnniklz came down in the dark, and reading about that gets your teeth cringing. KitimatKiller has personally seen me fall face first and backwards more than he could count on both hands, well I'm descending creeks and canyons in day light. (He's still working on my bow..) but to answer your question, yes definitely. Another person would really be comforting. At least for the first time:)

Rackem
01-29-2014, 06:29 AM
That sucks losing the meat and the cape...but it makes an interesting story nevertheless. My buddy lost a backstrap from his Stone sheep to a wolverine....and that was in less than half an hour...

Trekker
01-29-2014, 06:37 AM
yes, too bad on the losing the meat. but these things happen. congrats on what sounds like a great goat, looking forward to the pictures!

kennyj
01-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Congratulations on your first goat. To bad about the meat and cape!
Great story.
kenny

warnniklz
01-29-2014, 07:42 AM
NorBC had the same draw as me and Tranquilizer.

NorBC texted me the other night and he was super pumped about knocking a goat over. I asked if he was in a couple different spots... but then he texted me where he was. Definitely some knarly terrain.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1012420_10153760511755387_1680578390_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1619643_10153760511815387_1673409041_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1656271_10153760512020387_846998034_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1796436_10153760512165387_28618049_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1538884_10153760512220387_405940454_n.jpg

Kitimat Killer
01-29-2014, 08:28 AM
Congrat on your first goat buddy you work very hard at it and it did pay off just with bad luck in the end.
Ive lost a moose to a bear and thats tuff cuz of all the meat cant wait for saturday to start going for my goat now

Kk

Blainer
01-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Tough break, but great effort!
Congratulations are in order!
Glad to hear you found a cape.

ru rancher
01-29-2014, 08:38 AM
one of my buddys lost his goat meat to grizzley bear right out of his camp said it was the worst thing because it taste so good!

Brez
01-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Good story NorBC. $hit does happen out there. Could have been worse - horns could have been broken in the fall. That's the thing about goat hunting, the drama and adventure doesn't end once the trigger has been pulled - the hairy part usually starts then.
Congrats on a great billy and great memory.

bighornbob
01-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Too bad about your goat but you have to look at the positive, the pack out was light:)

BHB

TheProvider
01-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Good story, things like this will always happy. You can't risk your own safety for a retieval in the dark.

01-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Nice billy! BTW, I don't think it's reasonable to "hate" wolves because they are predators and need to eat.

d6dan
01-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Very nice 1st Billy.:-D Bummer about the preds but that's nature. He should make awards for the BC record book if your interested. Congrats on your solo hunt.

Seeker
01-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Well done NorBc, Crazy pics. Bad break with dogs. Looks like a beauty billy!

leadpillproductions
01-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Congrads on the goat least you got the horns . I lost one a few years ago eat the head off and all the meat , I killed it at dark was there in morning and he was gone!

BiG Boar
01-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Thats quite the tale of adventure. Totally sucks to hear about the wolves though. When you put in such an effort it sucks to walk away without the spoils. Theres always next year.

wicket
01-29-2014, 02:22 PM
i will go out on a limb and say that him stating that he really hates wolves may be a tongue in cheek kind of a statement because of the situation. could be wrong but it kind of fits the situation, just like when I get a parking ticket i kinda hate bylaw enforcement folks at the time:-D congrats on a very cool solo hunt. next time everything will line up how you need it to.
Cheers
wicket

coach
01-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Congrats on a successful hunt and a very nice billy. Too bad about the wolves. The option of hiking out solo with meat on your back, on ice and in the dark, is never worth the risk. Glad you decided to post your story.

Tenacious Billy
01-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Good thing you're still here to tell the tale....sucks about losing the meat/cape, but you'll forever have the story to tell. I think most people would have done the same thing.

Congrats on your success.

Kudu
01-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Dam - that's nasty!

If that happened to me I too would be a little pissed off with the woolves - good thing they didn't chew up the horns though.

MRP
01-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Always leave as much human sent as you can. A T-shirt, socks ---- underwear. 🙊 What ever u can. Is not a 100% but my old hunting partner says never lost anything he left overnight.

Coop
01-29-2014, 03:39 PM
What a bummer! Lighter load on the way down though if there's any positive way to look at it. Congrats!

gerrygoat
01-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Congrats on your first goat, he looks like a nice one. Like everyone else said too bad about the wolves, hopefully we can take a few more out soon. They are having a tough winter no doubt with the lack of snow making it difficult to catch their prey.

Rattler
01-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Congrats on your first billy. He sure carries his mass well.

Now go back w a fox pro and kill some wolves.

hunter1993ap
01-29-2014, 11:00 PM
I've walked out of some tough country in the dark and it is scary business. you made a good call not going to try and find it in the dark, even though the wolves got the better part of him. but hey, better the goat than you. that's a pretty cool looking goat, congrats.

Hillbros_96
01-29-2014, 11:11 PM
Good example of perseverance, sorry to hear about the outcome though.

decker9
01-30-2014, 12:10 AM
I was wondering if I'd see a late season goat on here this year. As stated, even though you lost your meet, you made the right choice not descending in the dark. Congrats on your first billy! Good to see others get hit with the "goat bug"! Cheers!

pinofire
01-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Great story. To bad about the wolves. On the other hand making a tough trek in the dark solo could have ended up with a even worse ending. Congrats on the first goat. Can't wait to get mine one day!

porcupine
01-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Congratulations on a great first billy. There's lots of mass to those horns. Look forward to hearing what is the final score. 47" gets you into the B&C awrds and that's a good goat. Too bad you lost the hide, especially from a late season billy.

01-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Years ago a buddy of mine shot a deer, and wounded it. We tracked it for 6 hours before finding it, and he was able to get a good shot into it and finish the job. It was last light, late November in northern Alberta. We gutted it, but had to leave it for the night. Came back the following day, and coyotes had eaten most of the hind quarters. Sh!t happens.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-30-2014, 04:59 PM
I have no problem with the way this played out. Bears are all denned-up this time of year....not too many yotes in this area. Around here we have piles of yotes so the risk of leaving an animal overnight is high. Wolf density up there is no where near yote density down here.
I would say the risk was pretty low.

Don't pay att'n to Arctic Red. There's a reason he's been banned before.

Thanks for sharing your story!

SSS

BCrams
01-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Some folks shoot sheep, deer, moose at dusk.......get photo's beside the animals then gut them and in some cases that's all they do in and return the next morning for more photo's and complete the quartering / boning out to pack it out in day light. Some are fortunate not to have wolves, grizzly or wolverine find it over night despite shirts / jackets left at the kill.

This could have happened to great looking trophies like kootenayelkslayers ram and many others we all have observed when the choice is made to leave the kill over night to retrieve in the morning. In the aforementioned example, if wolves or a grizzly got onto it, it can be said that he was in a position to bone and pack it out in the dark.

It appears he knew he would be able to retrieve the goat at all costs when he decided to shoot and did so the next morning. It is unfortunate wolves got to it first in this circumstance.

There are quite a few goat stories and booner stories on here where things could have gone sideways in a hurry and a lost goat could have resulted where the shooter is all relieved the goat was anchored and / or didn't slide or fall another foot and into no mans land!

Dannybuoy
01-30-2014, 05:25 PM
The CO didn't think I should get one. Maybe you are the only one. Maybe you can hold my hand next time it gets dark?

This is exactly why I didn't want to post, but thanks everyone else for the positive feedback.
Actually I am glad you posted your story ... I wouldn't have thought about wolves totally devouring my kill , now I would definitely think a little more about that .
Not that I wouldn't have taken the goat if I wanted it . Around here I know of guys that didnt pack out their deer at night and just leaving human scented clothes were enough to keep the coyotes off ( as well as a gut pile to chew on) but not sure that would work with wolves or bear .
You had to know someone ignorant of the laws would post that what you did was somehow illegal ... I just call that "stirring the pot" Good post !

DawsonCreedmoor
01-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Too bad about the goat! He will make a great euro mount though.

This year on a solo goat hunt, I shot my goat an hour before dark, made my way to where he ended up and took a few pictures before it was too dark. Opened him up got a couple quarters off and then ran out of light , so I headed for the tent, leaving it all behind.

It was a simple decision for me as I was not comfortable navigating down the rocks in the dark, in no way did I feel irresponsible leaving it behind. It was what needed to be done.

The next morning I returned and finished deboning and caping, and was lucky nothing was stolen by a predator.

I don't know how many stories I've heard of mountain elk/caribou/moose hunts where it takes multiple days to pack out the animal, and they end up losing some of it to a bear/wolverine. I guess people shouldn't shoot them because they are too big???

It's part of the game when you're playing in the mountains. You just had some bad luck, and as far as I, and many others (including a CO)are concerned you didn't do anything wrong. Congrats on the goat!

swampthing
01-30-2014, 06:06 PM
That's why I hunt goat. Always an adventure!!

Fella
01-30-2014, 06:13 PM
What an adventure, thanks for posting! Don't listen to the sourpuss, I don't think you did anything wrong.

NorBC
01-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Just got inspected, I was off , my bases were heavier than I thought. Left horn 9.25" by 5.75 right horn 9.5 by 5.75. And aged at 8 years.

Jim Prawn
01-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Great hunt, great story, and great Billy! I shot a goat in the Kootenays on a solo hunt probably ten years ago and it is still one of my favorite hunting memories as well. Too bad about the outcome, but I can tell you put in more than reasonable effort to retrieve. How were you to know there was a pack of hungry wolves right there? I know of several stories of game being left overnight and lost to preds, including my brother and my cousin. Glad to hear you got a cape for a shoulder mount, that is a spectacular set of horns!
JP

HarryToolips
01-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Too bad bout the meat, but man nice horns he looks like he was a cranker...

Kitimat Killer
01-30-2014, 07:29 PM
I wondered how long it would take before someone complained, maybe HBC isn't the kind of forum for guys like Artic Red. And people wonder why not a lot of stories get posted anymore.

Well said I met NorBC on this sight and glad I did and was glad I was a part of helping him on his hunt the bad part I was not there they day he pulled the trigger but got a bunch of txts from him when he returned saying he gor one and you could tell he was pumped and asked about if it would be ok to leave it I said yes not knowing whst would happend and offered to help pack out but could not get the day out. When he returned and sent me the pic of what happend you could tell he was devistated, I told him its fine he did the right thing to leave it and it happends to alot of people out there.
This weekend were heading out for my tag will post if we get one.

Kk

markomoose
01-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Kool story NorBC!I would have done the same.99 % of us would have your back on this one.congrats!

dana
01-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Looks like a great billy! Too bad it turned out the way it did but that's hunting in BC. Can happen to anyone anywhere in this province. Adventure like that always makes for quite the stories to tell out childern and grandchildern in the future. This story has played out similiar to countless hunters in BC over the years, be it wolves, grizz, wolverine, yotes or black bears. Pay no attention to the negative posters. They obviously haven't hunted much in this province if they think this kind of thing shouldn't happen. I actually know COs that have lost meat to predators. It happens. It sucks, but it is real life.

sherpa-Al
01-31-2014, 12:17 AM
Great job on your Billy NorBC! A late season Billy can be a very tough hunt so good on you! Too bad about losing the meat and hide but sometimes that is a fact of hunting here in the Northwest. I know that spot very well and it is very challenging to take a goat out of there. The mtns around here are very deceiving, lots of underbrush that hides deep crevasses and slick granite slopes that will end your life quickly. I would say in most cases a hunter greatly underestimates how long it will take to retrieve a goat in this part of the country, the terrain is just too nasty to judge until you actually try and walk it. You would be surprised at how many hunters on this site have had near death experiences on that stretch of mtns. It was the right thing to leave the goat overnight for your well being, getting home safely is #1.

Al

skibum
01-31-2014, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the story and congratulations on the goat

Not saying I can not see myself doing anything different in that same scenario

But something doesn't sit right with me. It is not leaving the animal, but not having time to field dressing it before heading out for the night

Again I don't know if I would have done different.

gerrygoat
01-31-2014, 07:56 AM
People that have hunted goats know how tough it can be and things can can go south on you in a hurry, people that don't hunt them have no idea what it is really like. NorBC did nothing wrong and shouldn't have to defend himself from any of you. Honestly who cares what anyone thinks, why do people in the comfort of their homes feel they would have done anything different, why do people have to sit in judgement about someone else, I guess in a narcissistic society people make things about themselves.

coach
01-31-2014, 09:56 AM
There should be more posts like Reds , there can be more than one point of view. Nothing wrong with some good controversy . More problems come from people not respecting someone elses opinion.
I don't think Red was preaching , he even asked if his view had support .
Not defending anyone here , just supporting different points of view , instead of everyone being medicated by the same koolaid .

Nothing wrong with a good discussion - but it belongs on a separate thread. Those of us that take the time to share our stories and pictures don't need successful hunt threads like this to go sideways or turn into debates.

skibum
01-31-2014, 10:01 AM
. More problems come from people not respecting someone elses opinion.

I agree - if NorBC was the sensitive type he would have just posted a picture and not the story.

But if someone starts a thread about a hunt (like this one) are you to just post a "congratulations" note and leave it at that. Or can you discuss the hunt?

bridger
01-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Norbc isn't the first guy that has had to leave carcass overnight and lost it to predators and he won't be the last!

skibum
01-31-2014, 10:12 AM
Nothing wrong with a good discussion - but it belongs on a separate thread. Those of us that take the time to share our stories and pictures don't need successful hunt threads like this to go sideways or turn into debates.

Maybe there should be a topic area "successful hunts" or something like that. Where people know that posters of stories and pictures do not want an opinion on their legal hunting style/adventure.

Kind of sounds stupid, but really this is the interweb - in an open forum which is open for discussion and opinions (mainland / or island) you are still going to get people sounding off unless it is explicitly banned. Right now you are not allowed to put down a legal hunt, but even so, once a discussion gets started, it is hard for some to keep it right. (not excluding myself). That is why I wonder about a separate successful hunt topic area

hunting involves a lot of ethics - discussion is good

boxhitch
01-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Nothing wrong with a good discussion - but it belongs on a separate thread. Fair enough , forum etiquette review needed , kumbaya

Stone C. Killer
01-31-2014, 11:40 AM
It's funny the ones picking apart people's stories are mostly people that never post their own hunting stories. I guess their to scared?

Gateholio
01-31-2014, 12:32 PM

Absolutely , coach. In fact we have rules about this stuff. I was negligent and should have just deleted arctic reds post and the subsequent discussion.

As always- if you want to discuss something, don't hijack a hunting report. Start your own thread. I see Big Boar has done that for us already. When I get a minute I'm going to clean up this thread. If you want to discuss leaving animals overnight, use big boars thread.

Gateholio
01-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Okay, done. Discuss leaving animals overnight in the other thread. Please don't pm me to debate it. When we clean up a thread the posts get purged with a very wide broom. :)

Jim Prawn
01-31-2014, 08:12 PM
It's funny the ones picking apart people's stories are mostly people that never post their own hunting stories. I guess their to scared?

Winner winner, billy goat dinner.
JP

BCbillies
02-02-2014, 10:15 PM
I know that spot very well and it is very challenging to take a goat out of there. The mtns around here are very deceiving, lots of underbrush that hides deep crevasses and slick granite slopes that will end your life quickly. I would say in most cases a hunter greatly underestimates how long it will take to retrieve a goat in this part of the country, the terrain is just too nasty to judge until you actually try and walk it. You would be surprised at how many hunters on this site have had near death experiences on that stretch of mtns.
Al

Been there . . . was rescued from a crevasse 45 km west of Terrace in 1991. Could have easily cost my life. Lived and learned a lot in a short time about how unforgiving that terrain is . . . one quick mental or physical lapse and it can be over!

NorBC
02-03-2014, 07:48 AM
^ Sh!* sure goes sideways fast up there. Like said before, easy to spot, impossible to get. Jan our taxidermist just re scored him for me and before deductions he came out at 51 2/8. So hopefully I only lose a inch or so to deductions!

Ambush
02-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Awesome goat and a great adventure. Although parts of your hunt didn't go as planned, you will remember this billy and hunt in far greater detail than most future hunts.

Stuff like this is part of the journey in the hunting life.

Congratulations on a 50" plus goat!!

ElliotMoose
02-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Those are some beautiful but unforgiving mountains. One heck of a billy you got there, big ol bases! Congrats on your first of many.

bighornbob
02-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Been there . . . was rescued from a crevasse 45 km west of Terrace in 1991. Could have easily cost my life. Lived and learned a lot in a short time about how unforgiving that terrain is . . . one quick mental or physical lapse and it can be over!

Stuff can go sideways in a hurry real fast down in the south too. Trust me I know:):)

BHB

NorBC
02-03-2014, 11:21 PM
http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q670/jdorrett/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/1614352_10153792512800201_1655034339_o.jpg (http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/jdorrett/media/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/1614352_10153792512800201_1655034339_o.jpg.html)

warnniklz
02-03-2014, 11:55 PM
It's so pretty