PDA

View Full Version : Mentoring a new hunter poll

E.V.B.H.
01-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Just curious about how people feel about the new initiation licence.

frenchbar
01-28-2014, 10:07 PM
you bet ..i got no kids around ..i'd even volunteer my tag to a new hunter if they wanted to give it a shot and i had the time.

The Dawg
01-28-2014, 10:08 PM
What about just buying me a tag Frenchy? :)

frenchbar
01-28-2014, 10:09 PM
What about just buying me a tag Frenchy? :)
even you but you'd have to ride shotgun in the back of the pickup ....

Barracuda
01-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Yes and I would let them enjoy /take home the fruits of their labour . the funny part is how many hunters always say the meat goes into a collective so everyone gets a share yet they wouldn't want an intro hunter that they take out to be included in their bag limit

horshur
01-28-2014, 10:56 PM
this seems to come down to the only animals people hunt are....deer. But do you guys really fill all your tags anyway??? two bears really???? small game, upland birds and waterfowl. There are plenty of opportunities to introduce hunting without giving up your coveted tags...

I have been privileged to be a part of several first's for many different hunters over the years youth and older....did full circle here last season when a good friends daughter shot her first deer...I was right there when her mother got her first as well before any kid's showed up....what she said(daughter) was priceless..."Holy shit I just shot a deer"".......

adriaticum
01-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Well it's the same question if you would give $50 to anyone who asked, or you would be more selective.
Unless you mean playing tag.

cassiarkid
01-28-2014, 11:24 PM
I think some of these initiatives are sometimes used by people who give hunters a bad name, and who do not want to do the work and gain the knowledge to take the CORE. I know it is a double edge sword - Trying to get the younger generation of hunters interested in hunting, while trying to keep the not so honest hunters from ruining it for the rest of us. We are all a product of our environment, grow up in a city and chances are you will not want to hunt, grow up in a small rural setting, and chances are you are ok with hunting. There is no right or wrong, it is just a population numbers game where the city folk out populate the rural folk. Not sure what the answer is??

Cheers

lip_ripper00
01-29-2014, 12:17 AM
The past 2 years I have not had leh draws, but have accompanied a couple of new hunters that have. Areas I have never been,and with a little work and savvy have helped them fill their tags. To me it's not the kill it's the thrill of the chase.

lip_ripper00
01-29-2014, 12:31 AM
I think some of these initiatives are sometimes used by people who give hunters a bad name, and who do not want to do the work and gain the knowledge to take the CORE. I know it is a double edge sword - Trying to get the younger generation of hunters interested in hunting, while trying to keep the not so honest hunters from ruining it for the rest of us. We are all a product of our environment, grow up in a city and chances are you will not want to hunt, grow up in a small rural setting, and chances are you are ok with hunting. There is no right or wrong, it is just a population numbers game where the city folk out populate the rural folk. Not sure what the answer is??

Cheers

I have to disagree, most people coming into this country live in the big cities and are craving the hunting experience. Biggest hurdle is teaching them the right way and our regulations. Any of the new hunters I take out know up front it's my way or the hi-way, and I am between a boy scout and an angel. It gives me the opportunity to see so much more of this Province.

hunter1947
01-29-2014, 05:06 AM
For me yes I would give a tag and help a new male or female hunter out if it crossed my path don't have to be family or friends remember its not always the kill that means so much its being with someone ells on the hunt that means the most for me I get more happiness seeing some one else get there game animal then me shooting a game animal here is a clip of a young lady getting her first WT buck in 2013 was very nice to see her expression on her face after she shot this deer...

Perfect shot placement this little lady made on her first WT deer the deer was 180 yards out..

http://youtu.be/tWpYbGCLOhw

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/00528.JPG

frenchbar
01-29-2014, 06:57 AM
this seems to come down to the only animals people hunt are....deer. But do you guys really fill all your tags anyway??? two bears really???? small game, upland birds and waterfowl. There are plenty of opportunities to introduce hunting without giving up your coveted tags...

I have been privileged to be a part of several first's for many different hunters over the years youth and older....did full circle here last season when a good friends daughter shot her first deer...I was right there when her mother got her first as well before any kid's showed up....what she said(daughter) was priceless..."Holy shit I just shot a deer""....... well put Andy..

Gateholio
01-29-2014, 06:58 AM
I've taken out lots of new hunters. Letting them use a tag is the least of my concerns.

adriaticum
01-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Just curious about how people feel about the new initiation licence.

Lol, you changed the question which kind of invalidates your poll.

Tanya
01-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Many here have stated that they jump at the chance to take out youth hunters, and I agree, I'm all over that. The question was about the intitiation license though. The initiation license needs to be given some serious tweaking IMHO. Having put a pretty fair number of people through the CORE program in the last 5 years have made some observations. I am of the opinion that the "host" hunter should have at least 10 years of experience and be over the age of 25. I know some individuals at 18 are mature, but many are not. Of course there are a lot of 25 year olds that aren't mature either...but putting some guidlelines in seems to me a good idea. Our kids both had full licenses at 10, but I really don't think that them taking another friend with zero gun/hunting experience out when they were 18 would be a good idea. Safety is the number one concern.

Gateholio
01-29-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't know if we need to add more and more restrictions. Canadians seem to like to regulate ourselves to death.....

My first firearm licence (FAC)I filled out a form at the police station and paid $10. To get my hunting license I challenged the CORE and went hunting. No instruction from anybody. To date, I have all my fingers and toes and haven't shot anyone.

Surely we don't need to put more regulations in place. It's a simpile program, let's keep it that way.

GoatGuy
01-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Many here have stated that they jump at the chance to take out youth hunters, and I agree, I'm all over that. The question was about the intitiation license though. The initiation license needs to be given some serious tweaking IMHO. Having put a pretty fair number of people through the CORE program in the last 5 years have made some observations. I am of the opinion that the "host" hunter should have at least 10 years of experience and be over the age of 25. I know some individuals at 18 are mature, but many are not. Of course there are a lot of 25 year olds that aren't mature either...but putting some guidlelines in seems to me a good idea. Our kids both had full licenses at 10, but I really don't think that them taking another friend with zero gun/hunting experience out when they were 18 would be a good idea. Safety is the number one concern.

This is another concern that has come up.

There are a number of factors that must be considered including maturity and experience level.

Are 18-25 year old kids less safe than the people who were licensed pre CORE (1978 IIRC was when it was made mandatory?)?
Does more experience mean you are a safer hunter?
Or is safety a reflection of your initial training?
Should we let kids who are 18 guide hunters?
Should we let kids who are 18 hunt on their own?
Do we have the capacity to 'regulate' this license with tweeks?

Lots of questions that must be considered.

bugler
01-29-2014, 12:34 PM
I think the initiation program is a great idea and I would take out a new hunter and let them use one of my tags once I got to know them a bit.

E.V.B.H.
01-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Lol, you changed the question which kind of invalidates your poll.

??? My original question was the one at the top of the poll, not sure what you mean.

adriaticum
01-29-2014, 01:23 PM
??? My original question was the one at the top of the poll, not sure what you mean.

True enough, but the OP gives more context to the question.
I supposed I would still answered the poll question the same way.

Barracuda
01-29-2014, 04:29 PM
the first option is a bit odd as your not simply giving away a tag to just anybody you are deciding the who what where and when of taking someone out. They may be a co worker they may be a family member or they may be an acquaintance that has shown interest in hunting and you are mentoring them .

I would to anyone I decided to mentor
I would but only to friends or family if I chose to mentor them
I would not give one up if I chose to mentor them

SPEYMAN
01-29-2014, 05:03 PM
If someone showed the desire and were able to contact me and show their interest,why not. That is how most of us got started. Dad may have been the one you asked to take you hunting,but what if the Dad didn't hunt. I was the one that wanted to hunt and Dad then became a hunter. At that time you paid $2.00 and got a small game license. You could hunt grouse,ducks and deer. Deer tags were $.50 or a $1.00.

Rackem
01-29-2014, 05:09 PM
I would take on a new hunter for sure. They would have to demonstrate that they were serious and teachable, but I'd be honored to take a newbie out and show them the ropes. I LOVE taking my sons out and hunting with them. I remember my oldest son holding a grouse heart in his hands, fascinated as it was still beating a bit. Then when he ate the meat later, how excited he was, said it was the best chicken ever lol! It is very fun to share the joy and excitement and NEWNESS for a novice hunter.

sillybear
01-29-2014, 05:35 PM
The price of a tag, the time and effort and fuel etc. are nothing compared to the smile and satisfaction of a new hunter's first animal! I've done it and would do it again.