PDA

View Full Version : Odd Season!

303Brit
01-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Matt's thread kind of got me thinking, seeing some pretty awesome birds in it so far. I'm not sure how many of you keep track of your seasons, via a logbook, journal or just through social media. But for the ones that do weigh in with your findings, now I'm not asking for kill counts or anything petty like that. If you wish to share you numbers by all means go ahead, if not that's fine. All I'm looking for is was your season, average, above or below, by a little or a lot. Also if you want to include the calibre of the birds taken this year by all means.

Now since I was able to drive into potato fields on the 21 Dec this was not a normal season, the weather was odd the bird holding patterns were odd. Some human factors played into this but not enough to be a huge driving force for the overall weirdness of it all.

All that being said, The team SP3 (Mrs.SKS, Lorne, me) miss our mark on the low side by 75 birds, however the quality of the birds taken this year was very very high. Aside from the Waterfowl Slam contest, it wasn't until we starting getting the more exotic birds (to our area) that I took it as anything other than a thread to see birds not often shot or targeted in these parts. Hitting a snow, and a speckle in the first month of the season is a big deal in my parts, then the Euro. So despite the numbers being a touch on the low side, the quality was higher than normal.

What say you???

shotgunjohn
02-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Hey 303,

I think we had fewer birds wintering in our area than most years. We had a lot of ducks around before the season even opened but they were mostly gone by the time it did. Maybe they sensed that it was going to be dry and cold for most of the season? We also seem to have a renewed interest in duck hunting in the Cowichan area and there were more people out on a regular basis, so maybe a little more pressure. For us the numbers were definately down and even fewer were those nice to eat corn fed mallards. Oh well lots of geese in the freezer and every year is different.

Fella
02-02-2014, 10:48 AM
One field we had bigger flocks but they seemed a lot spookier so I think out of 6 guys we got a total of three birds. This was also our first serious year of fowling so we're still learning. Hopefully next year we hone our skills more. The second field was barely hunted and it was 90% wood ducks. Had a really fun shoot there, total of 8 taken in the 15 minutes we were there. Third field had one really fat mallard taken. Again, newbies so we were pretty happy with production. The biggest problem was getting birds in range otherwise the total would have been a lot higher.

Crazy_Farmer
02-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Down about a 1/4 maybe. No ducks in oct, nov 1st they were in like donkey kong. A funny year. Wide spread changing of farming practices don't help much either. But a good enough year. Very band lucky this year compared to others. Still about 1 in 540 mallards which isn't that good.

Sako 75
02-02-2014, 11:42 AM
This season was bit slower than normal for us. Did quite well (limit out all the time)once the heavy rain came in Nov. but died again when we had deep freeze. Dec. was okay. Usually, in Jan. I do not hunted that much for ducks but spend more time steelheading. However, being a very slow year steelhead fishing I decided to spend more time shooting instead.

Last day of season went out for couple hours and got lucky. Shot drake pintail with band. Banded in Alaska 2012. First banded duck in 5 years since last one.

lorneparker1
02-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Lets see some picks sako!

While our season had a few less birds then previous years, it was more due to hunter effort, then lack of birds. I would actually venture to say we had more birds around then in previous years. Oct was really good, November was ok. Dec and January were crazy for birds but I think I hunted 4 times in Dec. and once in Jan. I got burnt out this year for the first time in recent memory. I wasn't really motivated. We killed 108 birds in those 5 hunts. We were covered in birds both those months, so the damage could have been done.

Lorne

hunterjeff719
02-02-2014, 02:00 PM
slow season for me as well for ducks. only hunted 2 fields and the numbers just weren't there. I found the fields just too dry. we did limit out a couple times but the rest of the time it just seemed like the birds weren't coming in. did shoot a nice euro widgeon though. most of the mallards were absolute honkers and a buddy got a banded drake mallard from Fairbanks Alaska. im still waiting for my first banded bird.

have never really hunted snow geese until this year, ive always just popped one here n there if they flew over.
however we hammered them for 5 days straight this season. they just wouldn't leave the fields. youd shoot them and they fly to the next field. next day you shoot that field and they flew back to the field from the day before. and so on so on. I think the final total of snowies between us was like 120 or something.

edgy
02-03-2014, 09:54 AM
It was definatly a slow year for us in Chilliwack, we are field hunters and we just didn't get the rain we usually get. My brother has a standing pond that has held water for the last 5 years straight, this year it was bone dry. We were always able to take a couple of birds when we went out, but overall a lot slower than previous years. This was also the first year that we didn't get Canada's in our field, just would not land dammit,lol. On a brighter note, this was the first year we ever saw Pintails in our field, and my brother took our first Specklebelly this year :). We also experienced one day in December that was absolutely the busiest day ever in the field, total insanity for 3 hours of the season! Looking forward to better conditions next season.

Dutch Ppoacher
02-03-2014, 10:16 AM
it was an interesting yr for us in port as well, i believe the lack of storms never pushed birds over the Beaufort range. when we got that 300mm rain and 130mph wind off the coast for the better part of two days we had awesome hunting for about a week, getting 8-15 birds a day. then, puff...... they gone!
not for the lack of trying, we got permission to new fields, built new blinds and did regular scouting. almost felt like a job!?!
i did note the early morning flights, sticking to shooting light to the second to catch a couple of the tail end.
and the only thing that was kinda reliable was the salt water, playing the tides

i personally never shot a full limit to my self this yr, close, but not quite. but that is the fun part right!

i will also say that we ran into more fellow hunters this yr then ever before. never any problems but definitely made for early mornings to get your spot!

Dutch

Sako 75
02-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Sorry Lorne, I do not take (hardly) any more picture of ducks I shot anymore. It is no big thing for me. I did add the last duck (pintail) band to my lanyard. I might take picture of that and post it on HBC.

BiG Boar
02-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Well let's see some of the hardly some you did take of limits every time.

BiG Boar
02-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Btw I got like 63 limits this year. I just lost my camera. Wink wink

303Brit
02-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Btw I got like 63 limits this year. I just lost my camera. Wink wink

Slow season BB, I figured you would have shot at least 80 limits. Must have been all those other Big game hunts ;)

f350ps
02-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Well let's see some of the hardly some you did take of limits every time.
You'd be surprised at how many guys shoot limits very regularly and don't take pics, or even talk about it for that matter! K

pnbrock
02-03-2014, 09:27 PM
no way 350!!!you hardly sometimes shoot limits all the time?

303Brit
02-03-2014, 10:31 PM
You'd be surprised at how many guys shoot limits very regularly and don't take pics, or even talk about it for that matter! K

But isn't that the entire idea of these kinds of threads? This one and the waterfowl slam are aimed to get guys to share. Why is it that, 90% of the Big game hunters, post all kinds of stuff, everything from tracks, to upland and small game, to any big game they see nevermind kill. Yet most of the waterfowlers here post probably less than 20% of their outings?

f350ps
02-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Most of the guys I'm referring to don't ever go on forums, they think HBC is the Hudson's Bay Co. K

nor'wester
02-04-2014, 07:08 AM
A DRAMATIC increase in hunting pressure lead to a DRAMATIC decrease in success for me. I grew up shooting in the '90s and lets just say I have been spoiled rotten by a general trend of decreasing hunting pressure, which has been slowly been on the rebound over the past 5 or so years. Last year there was a noticeable increase in pressure in the areas I hunt, but this year the increase in competition was nothing shy of shocking to me. Do the math and it resulted in birds that were as wise by mid-November as they usually are post-Christmas. Although I had a couple of quality days on ducks, supplemented by a couple of quality days on geese, my overall production was HALF of usual. Thanks Duck Dynasty! Hopefully all the wannabe's interest will fizzle and things will return to normal soon.

BiG Boar
02-04-2014, 07:47 AM
The problem is that if we don't do something to strengthen hunter recruitment, it will keep declining and getting shut down in more and more places. If no one is there to fight for our way of life, no one will preserve it. Non hunters don't want people blasting the skies at 6am. Last year they shut down local hunting completely in one of our municipalities. There was only a handful of guys wanting to save it. Do the math and it will result in more and more public and even private areas being closed down. Thanks Duck Dynasty! For creating a new flame in a quickly dying sport. Hopefully all the greedy attitudes will fizzle and more new money will come in to improve and preserve wetlands and waterfowl.

biggyun68
02-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Well BB I am doing my part for hunter recruitment: My daughter harvested more waterfowl than me this year. I also hope to have some good news about new hunters around the end of February... I will post pictures and all: Maybe that will be my best limit of 2014!
As for me like Lorne said it was hunter effort on my part: Not a good year end for me: I am looking forward to the final goose push and going for my first beard turkey in the Spring

andrewscag
02-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Slow year for me as well. I'm a newbie and didn't put as much time in this year as last, but just wasn't seeing anything. One of the fields I can hunt is on my way to work so its pretty easy to stop in to see whats around. Season got a late start, was good while we had some water, and then fizzled for me at least. Haven't sprung for goose deeks yet so just waiting for spring bear now while cracking crabs.

field marshal
02-04-2014, 11:59 AM
The problem is that if we don't do something to strengthen hunter recruitment, it will keep declining and getting shut down in more and more places. If no one is there to fight for our way of life, no one will preserve it. Non hunters don't want people blasting the skies at 6am. Last year they shut down local hunting completely in one of our municipalities. There was only a handful of guys wanting to save it. Do the math and it will result in more and more public and even private areas being closed down. Thanks Duck Dynasty! For creating a new flame in a quickly dying sport. Hopefully all the greedy attitudes will fizzle and more new money will come in to improve and preserve wetlands and waterfowl.
Slow season duck wise!! Goose just so,so!! Totally in agreement with Big Boar!!! He might not have that many years under his belt but he understands what it takes to improve hunter recruitment!! Heritage days is the perfect time to take out juniors and get them interested?
The mainland guys do a great job in this respect! Dale and all his waterfowlers do a 1st class heritage shoot?? How about you Courtenay Comox guys stepping up to the plate this fall and trying it on for size????? I'm going to stay on your asses so don't try and hide!!!--Cheers--Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
02-04-2014, 12:53 PM
I've said more then once. Give me someone to take out and I'll take em. I don't know a lot or any for that matter kids in that age group.

303Brit
02-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Slow season duck wise!! Goose just so,so!! Totally in agreement with Big Boar!!! He might not have that many years under his belt but he understands what it takes to improve hunter recruitment!! Heritage days is the perfect time to take out juniors and get them interested?
The mainland guys do a great job in this respect! Dale and all his waterfowlers do a 1st class heritage shoot?? How about you Courtenay Comox guys stepping up to the plate this fall and trying it on for size????? I'm going to stay on your asses so don't try and hide!!!--Cheers--Field Marshal.

Like Lorne Said find us some.

Nobody in the CV considers Lorne and I as "real Waterfowlers" we would be more than happy to take some kids out, I mean Lorne came out when I brought my 4yr old out this year for her first hunt, and my wife. The only kids I know in the bracket didn't move here till Nov (military Kids)

field marshal
02-04-2014, 02:38 PM
I've said more then once. Give me someone to take out and I'll take em. I don't know a lot or any for that matter kids in that age group. Don't you guys belong to the Courtenay F&G club??? They will know some youths for sure???
Geez I'm not your bloody social planner?? How hard is it to find kids who would love the chance to shoot??? Oh right!! I forgot 1 of you looks like
an Outlaw Biker??:mrgreen:---Cheers---Field marshal.

wingmaster
02-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Slow year for me as well. My go to field which can usually produce a limit every weekend and the odd good goose shoot was completely ruined by an individual new to the sport but that's a different story. Everywhere else that usually produces was lacking In standing water and made for a couple 3/4 duck days here and there but that's not to say the ducks weren't around as they seemed to be more concentrated on the rivers and on the salt. Working on a boat for next year so I don't run into the same problems and have more opportunities on public land

303Brit
02-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Don't you guys belong to the Courtenay F&G club??? They will know some youths for sure???
Geez I'm not your bloody social planner?? How hard is it to find kids who would love the chance to shoot??? Oh right!! I forgot 1 of you looks like
an Outlaw Biker??:mrgreen:---Cheers---Field marshal.

Would you be my party planner???

And Lorne is an upstanding citizen ;)