PDA

View Full Version : Government thinking about waiving safety course for new hunters

shelg
01-27-2014, 11:50 PM
I just read this article in the province. I can't believe someone even has the balls to consider waiving the requirement for CORE or a gun safety course for new hunters. Sacrificing safety to raise the number of hunter is ludicrous and who ever suggested it should be FIRED!!!

The Province
"The B.C. government is bullish on hunting, eliminating hunter-safety program requirements with a goal of at least 100,000 licensed hunters by 2014-15."

That's all I need is to worry about, me and my 14 year old in the bush and someone that has no idea about safety, sound shooting or sizing us up with their scopes because they have not been educated. That's the way, let roll back pre 70s when one regularly heard about someone getting shot from mishandling a firearms!!!

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/high-school-zone/residents+wild+hunting/9415389/story.html

leadpillproductions
01-27-2014, 11:58 PM
So they can buy their own licences or still have to be under junior licences?

adriaticum
01-28-2014, 12:03 AM
This is only for youth hunters 10-17. They probably figure if anyone of that age is interested in hunting they probably have an adult to train them safety properly.

shelg
01-28-2014, 12:04 AM
From what I read it is for youth hunter and new hunters. Which I assume, means adults. The youth was always able to get a hunting licence if they had CORE but and adult had to sign off for them and they had to be in direct contact with the adult hunter when hunting.

shelg
01-28-2014, 12:05 AM
I don't think so. It said. "To boost hunting numbers, safety courses have been dropped as a requirement for new hunters and youth hunters aged 10-17.

adriaticum
01-28-2014, 12:09 AM
From what I read it is for youth hunter and new hunters. Which I assume, means adults. The youth was always able to get a hunting licence if they had CORE but and adult had to sign off for them and they had to be in direct contact with the adult hunter when hunting.

Yeah you're right. It's for all new hunters.
Well that means more yuppies in the bush.
Should be interesting.

leadpillproductions
01-28-2014, 12:10 AM
So no more core , Well I guess that's ok with me ,not like they had that years ago and all the old timers did ok . I do agree with youth program as they do have a adult with them. I looked on there web site nothing on it .

BiG Boar
01-28-2014, 12:11 AM
Either they're printing it wrong or you're reading it wrong. They are trying to give new hunters a chance to start hunting and see if they like it for one season without making them pay $300 and sit through long courses. Basically, they will hunt on your licences and you will be responsible for them. This is a good thing for BC and the hunting community. It's only for one year for the new guy or gal. Don't worry your little head about it.

adriaticum
01-28-2014, 12:13 AM
I wonder what foxton gundogs and fowl language think about this.
Must have been in the works for a while.

shelg
01-28-2014, 12:15 AM
So no more core , Well I guess that's ok with me ,not like they had that years ago and all the old timers did ok . I do agree with youth program as they do have a adult with them. I looked on there web site nothing on it .
No offence, but I don't agree with you. My background is safety education. I sat in with my son when he took his CORE at 11 years old and the instructor covered off thing that I would not have even considered. Maybe some individuals have the knowledge but I didn't.

adriaticum
Either they're printing it wrong or you're reading it wrong. They are trying to give new hunters a chance to start hunting and see if they like it for one season without making them pay $300 and sit through long courses. Basically, they will hunt on your licences and you will be responsible for them. This is a good thing for BC and the hunting community. It's only for one year for the new guy or gal. Don't worry your little head about it.

Yes there is a hint of what you are saying.

"These changes will give youth and other new hunters an opportunity to find out if they enjoy hunting," reads the government synopsis, "before requiring them to go through the time and monetary commitment of taking hunter safety training."

shelg
I just found this article as a follow up. http://www.theprovince.com/news/Seasoned+hunter+aghast+move+delay+safety+training+ beginners/9423648/story.html

shelg
01-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Either they're printing it wrong or you're reading it wrong. They are trying to give new hunters a chance to start hunting and see if they like it for one season without making them pay $300 and sit through long courses. Basically, they will hunt on your licences and you will be responsible for them. This is a good thing for BC and the hunting community. It's only for one year for the new guy or gal. Don't worry your little head about it. if they are going to treat a new adult hunters like the youth license, I would be okay with that. If it was for one year to let them try it out.

adriaticum
01-28-2014, 12:24 AM
On another note taking CORE and PAL is not really a "monetary investment". It cost me all of $35 to get both.
So it's primarily a time investment.

coach
01-28-2014, 12:35 AM
I don't think so. It said. "To boost hunting numbers, safety courses have been dropped as a requirement for new hunters and youth hunters aged 10-17.

Extremely poorly written articles. The CORE has not been dropped! The upper age range of the junior license has been increased from 14 to 17. Juniors cannot hunt unless accompanied and closely supervised by a licensed adult. Any game taken under a junior license must be tagged (if applicable) and counted in the bag limit of the licensed adult.

My daughter hunted with a junior license from ages 10-12. At 13 she took her CORE and passed with flying colours. My step son did the same, hunted on a junior license at age 10 and passed his CORE at age 11. As licensed hunters, they are still requires to hunt under the close supervision of an adult until they turn 18.

Hey, Chicken Little - the sky ain't falling! The woods are no more dangerous now than before age change in the regulation requirements.

OutWest
01-28-2014, 05:00 AM
This is nothing but positive news on the hunting front. Junior hunters 10-13 always had to hunt on their supervisors tags and under their supervision. Only thing changing is the upper age limit is now 17 for junior licenses and there is a one time new hunter license for those looking to get into hunting without having to invest a substantial amount of time and money before they know if they even enjoy it.

snowhunter
01-28-2014, 07:03 AM
Is there any statistic's out there to support that the CORE program has made hunting safer ?

Is the draconian and the "political correct" CORE program "killing off" future hunters entry to become hunters ?

We have seen a drop of 50-60 % of hunters after CORE programs introduction, and still going down, at the rate of deer population going up, up, up.

Maybe it's time to rethink the negative social value of the CORE program ?

landphil
01-28-2014, 07:17 AM
There was accurate info on this proposed program in the regs, Big Boar must have read his. Its a great idea!

Gilmore
01-28-2014, 07:39 AM
"Citing two changes to the Wildlife Act in 2013, it said: “The first expands the definition of a youth (‘junior’) hunter from the previous 10 to 13 year age range to 10 to 17 years. The second creates an ‘initiation licence’ — a one-time-only opportunity for an adult who wants to try hunting, after which they would have to qualify for an adult hunting licence.”

1. So the Youth License has been increased from the ages of 10-13 to the ages of 10-17....it's about time.

2. They have created a one time, one season initiation licence for anyone over the age of 17 that is run on the exact same guidelines as the Jr. program that has been successful in promoting hunting to youth for decades.

And the problem is???

Gateholio
01-28-2014, 08:01 AM
The real problem is that the Province wrote a really poor article that messed up the facts, then followed it up with another poor article that quotes a poorly informed hunter who was "aghast"

piss poor performance.

swamper
01-28-2014, 08:52 AM
I'm still a bit confused about the Initiation license. Would it be the same as a youth where the animal killed would be taked by the mentor, or will the novice be allowed to purchase their own tags. I am all for getting more people out hunting, but not at the expense of one of my tags. In theory this could be a good program as it lets someone who is thinking of starting to hunt experience the whole thing. Maybe some will kill an animal and decide that this is not for them. Safety is number one out there, and even though just about everyone who is now hunting has taken a Hunter Traning course in one for or another, we still see stupid crap going on.

fowl language
01-28-2014, 09:01 AM
snow hunter, perhaps a call to the bcwf office and pressing 1 when prompted will shed some light on hunter decline. the core program has been on the up slide for more then 5 years now and put through almost 10,000 hunters this past year .hunter numbers are climbing in bc. not declining , and I for one are happy to see some knowledge of hunting instilled into the new hunters....fowl

t-rexer
01-28-2014, 09:01 AM
My wife is currently studying for the core course and I think this would be great for her. I think it's a great idea for her to get her foot wet before she jumps right in so to speak.

01-28-2014, 09:05 AM
The CORE is a significant time and monetary investment?? That's hunting!

Gateholio
01-28-2014, 09:12 AM
When we compare hunting to most any other outdoor activity, there is not the legislative barriers in place like with hunting. Anyone can go fishing, skiing, camping, hiking etc by just tagging along with some friends. It's only hunting that requires courses. This is a great step for hunter recruitment

BCKyle
01-28-2014, 09:27 AM
When we compare hunting to most any other outdoor activity, there is not the legislative barriers in place like with hunting. Anyone can go fishing, skiing, camping, hiking etc by just tagging along with some friends. It's only hunting that requires courses. This is a great step for hunter recruitment

I had a lot more fun doing my CORE than I did at 16 getting chewed out by ski patrol, having my pass revoked for a week and having to sit through the early-90s produced 'safety on the mountain' video in the patrol shack while being lectured about the dangers of ducking the ropes and snowboarding out of bounds.

I guess I just don't see the CORE as being all that time-consuming, expensive, or boring to take for someone who has never hunted.

The main way I think this could be an improvement is for those people who are busy with work and lots of other stuff going on and don't get around to the CORE before hunting season; and then miss a season because of processing time or whatever. Then if they can just head out with a buddy for that one season and try it if they are stoked then they will just get the CORE done and be off and running for next year...

BCKyle
01-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Oh yeah... and the Province? I'm not too surprised that they printed a poorly written/confusing article and then happily ran with the 'blow it further out of proportion' ill-educated followup... :-? Not the most quality-control-conscious publication. I even trust my news better on the Internet! :mrgreen:

J_T
01-28-2014, 09:39 AM
For most, hunting is not a hobby, it's a way of life. The CORE is but a small first step in the process. Sometimes not the first step, as most of us are introduced to hunting by a family member. CORE does not 'make' or 'qualify' a hunter to avoid mistakes. West's comments suggest anyone taking the CORE makes the woods safer. Only in a minor way. Nothing takes the place of common sense and experience. Getting people out and involved is the key first step.

snow
01-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Took the CORE exam yesterday, which cost exactly $10 (plus book $18 ) and i studied for approx. 20 hrs. If you take the classroom, it takes even less time. Not sure what financial or time investment they are talking about. I think it is helpful to be able to recognize a deer from an elk... otherwise is the CO going to be a bit flexible too, when people make mistakes in the field because they have not even taken the very basic education available? Why would any 'mentor' want to be responsible for another adult who would not even bother making the slightest commitment to hunting?

Foxton Gundogs
01-28-2014, 09:53 AM

snow hunter, perhaps a call to the bcwf office and pressing 1 when prompted will shed some light on hunter decline. the core program has been on the up slide for more then 5 years now and put through almost 10,000 hunters this past year .hunter numbers are climbing in bc. not declining , and I for one are happy to see some knowledge of hunting instilled into the new hunters....fowl

What BB and Fowl said........:roll: Phhhhhhew that saved me a whole lot of writing:-D

adriaticum
01-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Is there any statistic's out there to support that the CORE program has made hunting safer ?
Is the draconian and the "political correct" CORE program "killing off" future hunters entry to become hunters ?
We have seen a drop of 50-60 % of hunters after CORE programs introduction, and still going down, at the rate of deer population going up, up, up.
Maybe it's time to rethink the negative social value of the CORE program ?

It sure hasn't made it less safe.

JPW
01-28-2014, 10:32 AM
I probably wouldn't be out hunting and encouraging others to join me if it wasn't for the initiation license. I have always been an avid fisherman and so I think naturally had an interest in hunting, but had never got around to committing. It seemed liked every weekend there was fish somewhere that needed to be fooled by a fly. That being said an opportunity presented itself when a family friend asked my dad to go mule deer hunting and I ended up with an invite as well. These days I don't always get the chance to spend much time with the old man as I've got a little guy myself, so I didn't want to pass up on the opportunity.

Unfortunately, getting the CORE done on the truncated time table made it pretty challenging, then I learned about the initiation license. It's a pretty specific program; for example although my dad had hunted all of his younger life it had been a lot of years ago. The initiation license requires that the "mentor" has held a license for the last 3 years preceding the current year, if I remember correctly. That meant the family friend was the one that signed off on my license. Also, no different than taking a friend out shooting who doesn't have a PAL, the initiation license holder must remain under close supervision and the "mentor" hunter who is therefore fully responsible for that persons actions. It may not be the case for everyone, but I'd tend to think that someone that has been consecutively buying a license for the last 4 years is probably not going to take being a "mentor" lightly. Especially when it could affect their ability to hunt if the greenhorn is a tool.

Long story short, I had an awesome few days and I'm completely hooked. I bought the book, challenged the CORE, got my hunter's number and have been putting off fishing in favour of hunting. I doubt that would be the case if I didn't get the chance to "taste" it. Not that the time or the money was a major issue, but life is busy and sometimes you prioritize the wrong things. This license made it easy for me to try hunting and now I'll gladly make the commitment to do it more often.

BiG Boar
01-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Took the CORE exam yesterday, which cost exactly $10 (plus book $18 ) and i studied for approx. 20 hrs. If you take the classroom, it takes even less time. Not sure what financial or time investment they are talking about.

Not all CORE and PAL instructors allow you to just challenge the test like you did. Many of them will only let you write it if you take their $250 course. Also, a new soon to be hunter with zero gun experience can't really learn the practical part of the exam quite easily. You need to know how to work all of the different actions and safely unload and load each type. This is why many people opt to take the course.

adriaticum
01-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Not all CORE and PAL instructors allow you to just challenge the test like you did. Many of them will only let you write it if you take their $250 course. Also, a new soon to be hunter with zero gun experience can't really learn the practical part of the exam quite easily. You need to know how to work all of the different actions and safely unload and load each type. This is why many people opt to take the course.

There are the CORE instructors and CORE examiners.
Some people do both some don't.

GoatGuy
01-28-2014, 11:51 AM
The youth hunter and initiation license must be under the direct supervision of a licensed hunter. As the 'supervisor' you will sign that you are responsible for that hunter. The new hunter cuts your tags and hunts under your bag limit. If a person cannot act as a supervisor that individual should have never had a license in the first place. We cannot legislate common sense.

If people believe this is risky behaviour they should consider the fact that the youth or junior license always allowed for this to happen between the ages of 10-13. People without a PAL or POL can also still shoot firearms so long as they are with someone who has a license.

The only change here is people can try hunting before going through the process of getting licenses, gear etc. They've always been able to shoot a gun without a license. If you believe there are people who are incapable of supervision a new hunter, then those individuals should be reported and their licenses should be revoked. We cannot design regulations for morons, only reasonable people.

BiG Boar
01-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Not sure what financial or time investment they are talking about.

Now, where's your gun? Binos? Ammo? Vehicle capable of getting into the bush? Gas to get there? Tags? Knife? Game bags? Animal processing equipment or butchering cost? And this isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

This is thread is about newbies, like yourself, getting into hunting. Let me be frank.....if you want to take this up on your own, without someone to show you the ropes, you're going to be spending an arm and a leg. Next thing you know you'll be complaining on here about the quality of your several gerber knives, savage rifles rusting, and be complaining about your bushnell optics warranty. Then you'll move onto vortex and only after they catastrophically fail you on a hunt that cost you $1000 will you finally realize just how wrong you were about the financial cost involved in getting into hunting.

Wentrot
01-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Now, where's your gun? Binos? Ammo? Vehicle capable of getting into the bush? Gas to get there? Tags? Knife? Game bags? Animal processing equipment or butchering cost? And this isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

This is thread is about newbies, like yourself, getting into hunting. Let me be frank.....if you want to take this up on your own, without someone to show you the ropes, you're going to be spending an arm and a leg. Next thing you know you'll be complaining on here about the quality of your several gerber knives, savage rifles rusting, and be complaining about your bushnell optics warranty. Then you'll move onto vortex and only after they catastrophically fail you on a hunt that cost you $1000 will you finally realize just how wrong you were about the financial cost involved in getting into hunting.

Ah yes, because people cannot succeed at hunting without buying expensive gear-great mentality.

Barracuda
01-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Initiation license is a great step forward.

I think the majority of informed hunters would consider this very poor if not reckless reporting by the Ian Austin. The "aghast hunter" probably feels pretty stupid right now .

Two stories by the same person that give incorrect information pretty bad really makes you wonder.

Gateholio
01-28-2014, 12:14 PM
At least it's confirmed that there are no fact checkers on staff at the province.

adriaticum
01-28-2014, 12:20 PM

I think she meant to obtain the hunter number and PAL. Not for hunting in general.

snow
01-28-2014, 12:25 PM
I think she meant to obtain the hunter number and PAL. Not for hunting in general.

Yes exactly.

Salty
01-28-2014, 12:33 PM
snow, congratulations on taking your CORE! Good on you its an excellent program and though the poor reporting of this by the Province has caused a little robust discussion here, lol, I'm sure no one is saying that a new hunter shouldn't have the CORE. What this newish (its been around all year) situation is, is that now some one who is interested in taking up hunting can go out under supervision of a qualified hunter and 'learn the ropes' a bit and see how they like it. They'll still have to take the core if they want a proper hunting licence and to be able to hunt unsupervised. Think of it as a learner's licence. I think its a fantastic opportunity to make it easier for people considering hunting, to give it a try much more easily. If they like it, the CORE will be the next step.

davet
01-28-2014, 01:11 PM
doesn't this already exist? or something similar.

Mauser98
01-28-2014, 01:49 PM
The enabling legislation(Wildlife Act-Section 17.2) was changed in early 2013. The Hunting Licensing Regs were changed April 1, 2013.

Initiation license fee is $15.00 plus $4.00.

Initiation hunting licence
14.1 A person may apply for an initiation hunting licence
(a) in person to a licence issuer, or
(b) by mail to a government agent or a person employed in an office of the ministry who is authorized to issue hunting licences,
and must present for inspection or submit with his or her application a document evidencing that the applicant is a resident.
[en. B.C. Reg. 38/2013, App. 1, s. 7.]

Prescribed qualifications – supervising an initiation hunter

14.3 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the following qualifications are prescribed for the purposes of section 17.2 (2) (b) and (3) (b) and (d) of the Act:
(a) the person must be a resident;
(b) the person must hold a hunting licence, other than an initiation hunting licence;
(c) the person must have held a hunting licence, other than an initiation hunting licence, in British Columbia, or a licence to hunt in another jurisdiction, in not fewer than 3 of any of the licence years preceding the current licence year;
(d) if the person is an Indian residing in British Columbia, paragraphs (a) to (c) do not apply and the person must have
(i) received training in hunting, and
(ii) previously hunted lawfully without supervision;
(e) the person must not be prohibited from carrying or possessing a firearm under section 24 of the Act or an enactment of Canada or a province or territory of Canada, the United States of America, a state of the United States of America or another jurisdiction.
(2) If the person who holds an initiation hunting licence referred to in section 17.2 (2) and (3) of the Act, while hunting wildlife, is accompanied by a licensed guide who is guiding him or her, the following qualifications are prescribed for the purposes of section 17.2 (2) (b) and (3) (b) and (d) of the Act:
(a) the supervising hunter must be a resident;
(b) the supervising hunter must hold a hunting licence, other than an initiation hunting licence, or be exempted from holding a hunting licence.

Maximum number of persons
14.4 For the purposes of sections 11 (5), 17.1 and 17.2 of the Act, a supervising hunter commits an offence if the supervising hunter accompanies and supervises, at the same time, more than a total of 2 of any of the following persons:
(a) a person who holds an initiation hunting licence;
(b) a person on whose behalf a youth hunting licence is held;
(c) a person referred to in section 23.1 (1) of this regulation.

Condition of an initiation hunting licence
14.5 It is a condition of every initiation hunting licence that the holder of the licence must do all of the following before starting to hunt on each day of hunting:
(a) record, in ink and in the space provided on the licence, the date and the name of the supervising hunter for that day;
(b) ensure that the supervising hunter has
(i) read the information set out on the licence, and
(ii) signed the licence.

Number of initiation hunting licences limited to one
14.6 For the purposes of section 14 of the Act, a person must not obtain or possess more than one initiation hunting licence in his or her lifetime.

Initiation hunting licence – bag limit

20.1 Any wildlife taken or killed by a person who holds an initiation hunting licence is included in the bag limit of the supervising hunter.
[en. B.C. Reg. 38/2013, App. 1, s. 9.]

Youth hunting licence – bag limit
21 Any wildlife taken or killed by a person on whose behalf a youth hunting licence is held is included in the bag limit of the supervising hunter.
[en. B.C. Reg. 38/2013, App. 1, s. 10.]

t-rexer
01-28-2014, 03:48 PM
So my neighbor wants to hunt I take him out in my truck , we see a deer he shoot it with my rifle and I have to cut my tag? **** that
why not just give them one tag of their choice and be done with it. I'm sorry but I'm not giving up a tag

E.V.B.H.
01-28-2014, 03:53 PM
I think it's a great idea that needs a little tweaking. Letting you kids shoot one of your tags is one thing, however it's going to have to be a pretty good friend that gets to shoot my elk tag or even one of my deer tags. The program would be much more successful if the person was able to buy a tag as well. Maybe limit it to a deer,moose,elk or black bear, or only let them buy one tag. I really don't see why it matters though if they were able to buy all of the gos tags.

GoatGuy
01-28-2014, 04:00 PM
I think it's a great idea that needs a little tweaking. Letting you kids shoot one of your tags is one thing, however it's going to have to be a pretty good friend that gets to shoot my elk tag or even one of my deer tags. The program would be much more successful if the person was able to buy a tag as well. Maybe limit it to a deer,moose,elk or black bear, or only let them buy one tag. I really don't see why it matters though if they were able to buy all of the gos tags.

I agree. Part of the challenge was trying to ensure the supervisor was supervising. There was concern that if the person had their own tags they 'might' be allowed a bit of rope by the supervisor. So this was one of the solutions, principally so we could avoid the 'stupid comments' in the media..... but it looks like we got them anyways. Certainly wasn't expecting it to come from within, but you live and learn.

Personally, I have no issue letting someone cut a deer, elk or moose tag for that matter. We split the meat, so it really doesn't matter. But to each their own. I've found most 'new hunters' are more than happy to shoot a rabbit or grouse to start and work their way up.

Barracuda
01-28-2014, 04:16 PM
I don't have an issue with letting a new hunter shoot off of my bag limit and heck they can have the whole animal meat and all if it brings a new hunter into the field and makes them want to continue with it then it is a good thing and a small price to pay

E.V.B.H.
01-28-2014, 04:30 PM
I agree. Part of the challenge was trying to ensure the supervisor was supervising. There was concern that if the person had their own tags they 'might' be allowed a bit of rope by the supervisor. So this was one of the solutions, principally so we could avoid the 'stupid comments' in the media..... but it looks like we got them anyways. Certainly wasn't expecting it to come from within, but you live and learn.

Personally, I have no issue letting someone cut a deer, elk or moose tag for that matter. We split the meat, so it really doesn't matter. But to each their own. I've found most 'new hunters' are more than happy to shoot a rabbit or grouse to start and work their way up.

Fair enough, didn't really think of it that way. Maybe it could be worked out that if a new hunter shoots one of your tags, it could be marked as an initiation kill and the supervisor could replace that tag. If their initiation licence was stapled to the cut tag or something like that. I just feel that it's probably the minority that are willing to give up a tag. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone else willing to give up a tag?

Being a relatively new hunter (less than ten years) I'm still feeling a little stingy about my tags, maybe this will change as time goes on. On a side note I have gotten several friends into it just by letting them come along, not to hunt but observe and they have then jumped through the hoops to get their own licence. With a little mentoring about the process it doesn't feel as intimidating.

OutWest
01-28-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't have an issue with letting a new hunter shoot off of my bag limit and heck they can have the whole animal meat and all if it brings a new hunter into the field and makes them want to continue with it then it is a good thing and a small price to pay

So my neighbor wants to hunt I take him out in my truck , we see a deer he shoot it with my rifle and I have to cut my tag? **** that
why not just give them one tag of their choice and be done with it. I'm sorry but I'm not giving up a tag

2 opinions at opposite ends of the spectrum. Hunting in BC stands to benefit a lot more from one and a lot less from the other.

E.V.B.H.
01-28-2014, 05:09 PM
2 opinions at opposite ends of the spectrum. Hunting in BC stands to benefit a lot more from one and a lot less from the other.

I'm assuming then that you are willing to give a tag? I'm curious to find out how many are and how many aren't, maybe we need a poll started.

For me personally it isn't about losing out on meat or a chance to kill something, it's about losing recreation time. I hunt every chance I get and although I'm not a trophy hunter, I also don't shoot the first thing I see. I'm not afraid to let a tag go unused because it lets me hunt every day possible. For me it's more about the quality of the hunt not the size of the animal. The anticipation of what's over the hill or in the next basin is a huge motivator to walk places you normally wouldn't and see things you otherwise wouldn't see. That's what I feel like I'm giving up by prematurely cancelling a tag.

OutWest
01-28-2014, 05:25 PM
More than willing if it encourages others to get into in hunting. You're allowed 3 tags for deer alone in BC and the majority of hunters don't make use of that. Not sure where the "giving up my tag" mentality comes from.

Seems like a perfect opportunity to make use of the Antlerless Whitetail season seeing as it is a majorly undersubscribed opportunity. As GG said, most new hunters are content with quadding around, plucking a few grouse, hiking etc. Lots of positives can come from this.

E.V.B.H.
01-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Two deer in region 4, if it was three I would give one up. But with only two it could cut my season way too short. I just think the program would be more popular if they could somehow buy their own tag. Humans are selfish by nature and that fact I think will hold the program back.

Did anyone out there one take advantage of the opportunity this year? If so did it work? Is the person now pursuing hunting?

E.V.B.H.
01-28-2014, 06:00 PM
And Nick you're right, a lot of new hunters probably are more comfortable starting small with a grouse or rabbit anyway.

Im also not sure it's the core course that's the problem. It's more that they don't know anyone or how to even start the process. A program to somehow connect people with interest with people willing to mentor would also be very useful. I know I would sign up as a mentor.

Cordillera
01-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Key thing here is someone has a choice to take out an initiation hunter. If you don't want to that's fine. It just opens up an option that will work for some in some situations and let some people who are interested in hunting give it a try.

JPW
01-28-2014, 06:18 PM

Fortunately for me the gentleman that took me out had no problem letting me use one of his tags if it meant a future hunting partner. On top of that you could always take someone upland bird hunting, waterfowling, etc or would that cut into your quota too much? Would taking them coyote or crow hunting work for you? Sharing NBL shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience and might get one more advocate into the fold.

Foxton Gundogs
01-28-2014, 06:26 PM

No problem no one is making you help someone out, after all no one has ever helped you out, so just go your own way and enjoy.... after all it's not like we get enough deer tags here on the island shhhheeeesh

coach
01-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Come on now.. really.. how many guys have a chance to kill a legal buck or bull every time they hunt??

Why not take your buddy out introduce him (or her) to what hunting is all about? Under this system, the novice can at least carry a gun and maybe shoot a grouse or two. If you're not feeling too selfish and an opportunity does presents itself to harvest an animal, you can let your friend kill their first big game animal OR do what many of us do multiple times a season - enjoy the situation while allowing the animal to walk. Either way you're going to introduce someone to hunting and our pastime will be better off because of it.

What if you spot that animal of a lifetime? Depends how you feel about letting your friend pull the trigger. That part is totally up to you. Most new hunters I've taken out would be thrilled just to be part of a kill. They'll likely be a lot less worked up about who's shooting than you are.

Look back over the last few years at how many threads have been started here about the legality of taking a non-licensed friend along on a hunt. There's obviously a demand for people to be able to do this. Is the CORE an obstacle? No.. not to someone serious about getting started. Finding a CORE instructor in-season and course dates that fit people's schedules are another thing. This change simply makes it easier for people to get their foot in the door. I suspect there will be a high number of initiation license holders singing up for CORE immediately after their first hunt.

Hunterguy
01-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Everyone wants the bush to be safe for everyone to enjoy the outdoors, im the first one to encourage new hunters but with firearms you only get once chance, yes it would be an accident but could be your own worse nightmare, such as my pals who got shot off their quad mistaking for a buffalo. Probably had their core program but i a gree its common sense. Supervisors who are going to be the guiding light, well could all the supervisors who shoot stop, yield signs, heavey equipment windows and old propane tanks please stay out of the bush.

snowhunter
01-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Before there was a political motivated CORE and long gun registration, hunters could safely buy guns and license over the counter and go hunting. Hunting was safe back then. Now hunting is suddenly unsafe, if you did not take a PAID political correct CORE course ?

Like so many before me, I bought my first hunting rifles and licenses over the counter, no questions asked, and I learned to hunt, in a more natural way, from friends and other hunters, and gave my lifelong hunting experiences to other hunters, huntresses, including my children, which was gratifying.

Hunterguy
01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
If there is a positive out of all what has been decided, now is the time for all those dads and Grampas who used to hunt but got rid of their rifles because of the registration, wouldnt go and get their hunters card, didnt take the core program to go out with their sons daughters grandchildrento go on a hunt and hopefully someone would cut their tag for that maybe one last hunt. that would be priceless.

Gilmore
01-28-2014, 09:43 PM

Well there you go. You obviously have no intention of mentoring anyone in this program so you have absolutely nothing to get so worked up about.

Gateholio
01-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Considering the amount of tags a person can get in BC, I don't see the hardship in letting a new hunter use a couple of mine.

Sitkaspruce
01-28-2014, 10:20 PM

Wow, what about your kid, if you have any??? Must be tough around the dinner table with the last pork chop....

I would give up a tag in a second to see the look on a new hunters face after they killed their first animal. For me it is not about me killing an animal, it's about being outdoors and enjoying what a lot of people take for granted. Being able to introduce a new hunter to hunting is one of my best highlights in all my years of chasing game.

If guys won't give up a tag to help introduce a new hunter, we are again sinking our own ship. Sad really

Cheers

SS

BCbillies
01-29-2014, 01:19 AM
Interesting to know that you can host a friend from say Alberta or Ontario to hunt in BC and the forms don't ask if they have ever taken a hunting or firearm course. These guys get their own tags and are good to go as long as you hunt with them. I've hosted three times and always wonder why they make it so easy for the out of province guys who may have never touched a firearm before!

hunter1947
01-29-2014, 04:52 AM
Interesting to know that you can host a friend from say Alberta or Ontario to hunt in BC and the forms don't ask if they have ever taken a hunting or firearm course. These guys get their own tags and are good to go as long as you hunt with them. I've hosted three times and always wonder why they make it so easy for the out of province guys who may have never touched a firearm before!

My thoughts regarding your post is that the host person being along side the out of Provence person at all times having full vision at all times on the persons movement and the handling of his or her rifle at all times this is my thoughts why the government management are not interested if they have any kind of back ground safety courses from out of BC Provence..

BCbillies
01-29-2014, 01:41 PM
My thoughts regarding your post is that the host person being along side the out of Provence person at all times having full vision at all times on the persons movement and the handling of his or her rifle at all times this is my thoughts why the government management are not interested if they have any kind of back ground safety courses from out of BC Provence..

The permit to accompany (for hosting from another province) and the initiation hunter (supervisor required) would be similar requirements in regards to the supervision part. The big difference is the BC resident hunter (initiation hunter) doesn't get his own tag while the out of province hunter (can also be a rookie) gets his own tag . . . just has to pay a little more than the rest of us! Just seems a little odd.

Mathil
01-29-2014, 02:58 PM
PANIC! PANIC! PANIC! ITS GOING TO BE WW3 IN THE WOODS! LOCK UP THE CHILDREN!

I'm surprised people of our species could safely hunt for the past 20,000 odd years before the advent of government controlled training courses!

As mentioned, nobody is given carte blanche to walk into the woods armed and alone without training. The news, however, does have an agenda against hunting and firearms ownership.

GoatGuy
01-29-2014, 03:46 PM
We deal with safety a lot at work and it seems we always try to create more regulations/procedures for stupidity.

I've summed it up like this: Increased regulation for common sense does not increase safety - it only increases regulation.

Ferenc
01-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Your right GoatGuy...some people come to work and shut their brain off after they punch in...and at the end of the day when they punch out...well thats another story...all I can say is that I am happy the ministry has done this ....Big Boar said it right !!!

huff
01-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Take a drive through Richmond or Surrey and let me know what you think of a lot of the drivers in those area's . Most of them have taken driving courses and I suspect most of them have passed a BC. drivers license test. In my opinion driving around the lower mainland is far more dangerous then going out into the woods hunting where there might be someone else in that are with no saftey course.

Lots of people have certification but no common sense, those are the ones I worry about.

J_T
01-30-2014, 10:12 AM
We deal with safety a lot at work and it seems we always try to create more regulations/procedures for stupidity.

I've summed it up like this: Increased regulation for common sense does not increase safety - it only increases regulation. I've summed it up as this: We regulate to protect the stupid, perhaps we should remove regulation and cull the stupid. An over-regulated society eventually rebels.

Gateholio
01-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Take a drive through Richmond or Surrey and let me know what you think of a lot of the drivers in those area's . Most of them have taken driving courses and I suspect most of them have passed a BC. drivers license test. In my opinion driving around the lower mainland is far more dangerous then going out into the woods hunting where there might be someone else in that are with no saftey course.

Lots of people have certification but no common sense, those are the ones I worry about.

What you have described is exactly the problem with the Canadian mentality when it comes to regulation. It's been a long time since BC introduced the graduated drivers system, yet I see worse driving than before. We have replaced common sense with regulation. The problem is when people are convinced that they don't need to think anymore because they passed a quiz!!

GoatGuy
01-30-2014, 10:31 AM
I've summed it up as this: We regulate to protect the stupid, perhaps we should remove regulation and cull the stupid. An over-regulated society eventually rebels.

No doubt, I rant about this at work regularly and 'cull' is the exact word.

How a handful of people can regulate 1000+ into inefficiency is beyond my level of comprehension.

Ltbullken
01-30-2014, 11:03 AM
With the PAL course, there are probably some things that can be streamlined. There are a lot of barriers to enter hunting and that impacts the overall health of hunting IMHO. So why not simplify at least the BC CORE program to maybe a on-line course? I remember taking my Manitoba hunter safety training over 2 evenings. Maybe that is a watering down of what is needed but remember that we have a PAL course now for gun hunters anyway. I took CORE as well and from what I can recall there is overlap in content between CORE and PAL. We can throw up all bunch of hurdles to enter hunting but is that helping hunting in the end with fewer and fewer hunters every year?

E.V.B.H.
01-30-2014, 03:59 PM
^^ This is true there is some overlap between the two. Even though it's provincial/federal I wonder if there couldn't be a blended weekend course that covers both and has both tests at the end. I know not everyone that hunts needs a pal and not everyone that wants a pal hunts but it could work for those that plan on taking both anyway.

Ltbullken
01-30-2014, 05:21 PM
I've summed it up as this: We regulate to protect the stupid, perhaps we should remove regulation and cull the stupid. An over-regulated society eventually rebels.

Problem is that stupid also has collateral damage...

cassiarkid
01-31-2014, 09:13 PM
Don't know about everyone else, but if Joe Blow has never been hunting before and has never handled a gun or doesn't have a clue about the difference between a moose, elk or deer, I don't want him hunting anywhere near me. Not saying that this would ever happen, but just because our grandfathers didn't have to take a course doesn't have any application to today. Things were very different back then. A lot more rural Canada back then. People hunted back then because they wanted to or had to, whereas we are trying to turn fence sitters into hunters, to bring up numbers.
There has to be some sort of mentoring or training before you give a person a gun and say have at 'er. A person who has hunted all their life takes for granted all the information they have gained over the years, and the things they do become second nature. People who haven't been brought up this way and are just getting into the sport need guidance and direction, or their mistakes could cost a life because of lack of experience and knowledge. We still have marginal and unethical hunters out there, who have all taken the CORE, but at least they have been given the basics and there is always going to be the bad with the good. Not saying that the CORE is the answer, just saying we can't send people out there blind as well.

Cheers

OutWest
01-31-2014, 09:25 PM
Which is exactly what these changes provide - a mentor/supervisor.

aggiehunter
01-31-2014, 09:57 PM
Statistally the GLP (graduated Drivers Licence) has saved lots of lives...not sure if that can be said about Core. Everyone seems focused on safety but that it is not always gun safety that kills hunters and Core touches on a that. Some will call this a great step in removing rules but I see it as just another step in societys quest to make everyone a winner as soon as possible. Tball rules.

Gateholio
02-01-2014, 02:21 AM
Statistally the GLP (graduated Drivers Licence) has saved lots of lives...not sure if that can be said about Core. Everyone seems focused on safety but that it is not always gun safety that kills hunters and Core touches on a that. Some will call this a great step in removing rules but I see it as just another step in societys quest to make everyone a winner as soon as possible. Tball rules.

Except nobody gets anything for nothing here, except to go out and see if they like hunting or not. Kinda like every other recreational activity out there.

cassiarkid
02-01-2014, 09:56 AM
My only issue is that if they do away with some sort of standardization of outdoor knowledge, ie the CORE, you are not giving each new hunter the same knowledge. If your mentor is sub-par or could give a crap about conservation and the reg's, then he/she passes that on to the person that we are trying to bring into the sport - and do we want this type of hunter - not me. At least some sort of standard outdoor course would give novice outdoors people the right tools to start off with, that is why I am not a proponent to getting rid of the CORE. Streamlining it or updating it - sure, but to get rid of it…not a good choice.

coach
02-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Nobody is getting rid of the CORE. Again, it's an extremely poorly written article.

curt
02-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Hey Coach so my question is can these new and youth hunters apply for leh without the core as well then???

Mathil
02-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Hey Coach so my question is can these new and youth hunters apply for leh without the core as well then???

No!

They don't have a hunter number. They don't even get their own bag limit. To be as blunt as possible, so possibly everyone can realize this is a good thing I'll outline it for you.

1) Anyone can apply for a 1 time, 1 year beginners hunting license.
a) They must be accompanied by a bc hunter with 3 years experience.
b) They shoot the "guiding hunters" bag limits. No extra animals are harvested on these licenses.
c) They do not get to enter LEH, as they don't have a hunter number.

2) They don't get to run off in the woods alone without proper firearm safety knowledge. A person without their PAL must be within ARMS REACH of the person who's licence they're shooting under. If they have their PAL they have to be close to the "guiding" hunter.

This is nothing but a good thing. It allows people to grow the sport, show curious people about hunting/firearms all without infringing on registered hunters LEH chances, or by increasing bag limits, since they have to shoot the "guiding" hunters limits.

coach
02-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Change "guide" to "mentor" and you've summed it up perfectly, Mathil. :-D

curt
02-02-2014, 02:59 PM
awesome info thanks

J_T
02-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Mathil, Coach, well you've just about got the misunderstanding of what this means clarifed for hunters.

If people (those who questioned what reducing requirements short term for new hunters meant) are that confused (hunters so out of touch they thought Gov might be removing CORE), think what this means to how the social ethic police are going to perceive this. ?? I cant believe the uncertainty of what this meant, lingered somewhere over 85 posts.

Phreddy
02-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Who in hell charges $250 for the CORE Course? Holy Crap!!!!!

cassiarkid
02-03-2014, 04:12 PM
In my area, there was only one of these licences purchased, probably because most people didn't have a clue it existed. There is talk of a new Licence system in two years, can't wait to hear what great ideas they have. If it's as good as the Freshwater Fishing Licence system watch out!!