PDA

View Full Version : 30/06 factory load

Oz Bob
01-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Greetings Gentlemen,

I am an Australian, new to the forum and have absolutely no experience with North American game. However I am booked for a guided hunt in September this year. I will be hunting Brown Bear (grizzly), moose, Dall sheep. Hopefully I'll also get a tag for a caribou, and I've been told to get a wolf tag as well.

I will be bringing a rifle, an R8 in 30/06 and I intend to use factory ammunition and I intend to shoot everything with the same loading. I have tried some federal premium stuff which is loaded with 180 grain partitions and it tack drives out of my rifle.

My questions are. Have any of you used this ammo on brown bear and or moose and how did you find it? Can anyone recommend another premium factory loaded round suitable for the game I've listed and if so what is your experience with it ?

Your thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

bob

Scotty-B
01-27-2014, 09:51 PM
In my opinion, the 180's should work for all of it, providing you are willing to get within 200 yards MAXIMUM for the larger game and you do not try to take marginal or questionable shots. If your rifle is a tack driver, do yourself and your game the favor of utilizing those characteristics and make the first shot count. If you stand by that mindset, you should not have to rush anything and you will have an amazing experience.

backcountrybowhunter
01-27-2014, 10:07 PM
I really like the trophy grade nosler accubonds out of my 30/06. Having killed 1 moose with a 243 and another with a 270 and 3 elk with a 270 shot placement is by far the most important factors and not shooting large game beyond yours and your rifles capabilities.

BigSlapper
01-27-2014, 11:12 PM
30.06 with 180 gr you will have no problem at all - do your part and put it where it needs to be though.

blackbart
01-27-2014, 11:16 PM
I have shot three or four moose with Federal premium factory loads using 180 grain Nosler Partitions in my own 30/06. They all ended up dead, in pretty quick time.

Have fun. Heck of a hunt you have booked.

Oz Bob
01-28-2014, 02:39 AM
Thanks fellas,

your posts have put my mind at ease about using the 06 with 180 grain partitions. I also heed your advice about accurate shot placement and keeping shots within reasonable range.

cheers

bob

E.V.B.H.
01-28-2014, 12:14 PM
You can easily take any North American animal out to 300 yds with that setup. After that it's more of a concern about drop and wind then energy.

paw325
01-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Greetings Gentlemen,

I am an Australian, new to the forum and have absolutely no experience with North American game. However I am booked for a guided hunt in September this year. I will be hunting Brown Bear (grizzly), moose, Dall sheep. Hopefully I'll also get a tag for a caribou, and I've been told to get a wolf tag as well.

I will be bringing a rifle, an R8 in 30/06 and I intend to use factory ammunition and I intend to shoot everything with the same loading. I have tried some federal premium stuff which is loaded with 180 grain partitions and it tack drives out of my rifle.

My questions are. Have any of you used this ammo on brown bear and or moose and how did you find it? Can anyone recommend another premium factory loaded round suitable for the game I've listed and if so what is your experience with it ?

Your thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

bob

no problems with that setup Bob....it will do it all, day in, day out...

Good luck

gunpower
01-28-2014, 07:05 PM
In my opinion, the 180's should work for all of it, providing you are willing to get within 200 yards MAXIMUM for the larger game and you do not try to take marginal or questionable shots. If your rifle is a tack driver, do yourself and your game the favor of utilizing those characteristics and make the first shot count. If you stand by that mindset, you should not have to rush anything and you will have an amazing experience.
I've owned a 30/06 for 40 plus years, it will and can knock down game at more than 300 yards. You don't need a magnum rifle or any thing bigger!

Scotty-B
01-28-2014, 07:32 PM
I've owned a 30/06 for 40 plus years, it will and can knock down game at more than 300 yards. You don't need a magnum rifle or any thing bigger!

I do not disagree, but in my mind, with the 180's, I like to give myself that extra bit of assurance. If they were 200 grain bullets, I would say 300 yards for anything. I also am saying 200 yards max for the big stuff (moose, caribou, etc.). It should be an awesome trip.

northernguy
01-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Yep...ya can't go wrong with the 180Gr Nosler Partitions. Practice...and not just on a shooting bench.

Fred1
01-28-2014, 07:44 PM
30-06... 180's Will do just fine. I have been a part of many moose kills with hunters using one. For the big bear, just make sure of your shot, don't rush it and place it well. (As with any caliber) G bears are have tough hides, thick muscle and big bones. They can suck up some damage. Don't be afraid to hit em a couple times! Hit them hard, often, break em and take em down. Bottom line, you want a dead bear - no tracking! I have said it before: You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind and you don't mess around with a wounded grizzly bear...

Sounds like you have a great trip booked!?! Best of luck!! Soak up every minute of it!! Too right!

filmer123
01-29-2014, 03:00 PM
I've used the Nosler Partition 180gr 30-06 with no problems. Performed well on moose elk caribou an a bison. Haven't been fortunate enough to shoot a G bear yet but I did carry that combination during a hunt for grizzly last season. Good luck on your hunt

Oz Bob
01-29-2014, 10:31 PM
Fellas, once again thanks for the feedback and advice. It is much appreciated. Come October I'll hopefully have some photos that I can post of my trip.

september can't come quick enough !

bob

Oz Bob
01-29-2014, 10:35 PM
30-06...

You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind and you don't mess around with a wounded grizzly bear...

i like that.

bob

Oz Bob
11-08-2014, 06:47 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DSCF6441.JPG

Well gentlemen,

thought I'd give some feedback on my hunt. Had a bloody great time and loved every minute of my 18 days in the bush.

Only shot one animal, but it was a beauty. Saw plenty of moose but only one was definitely legal, about 65 inches. Unfortunately no shot presented. Saw another that was border line at about 50 inches. Could have shot it but as it was only a 3 brow tine and may or may not have made the 50 inch minimum Mark. So I didn't take a shot.

Saw heaps of Dall sheep. However none were legal size. And didn't see a grizz. That was a bit disappointing, but I suppose that's hunting.

Anyway the R8 and the 30/06 worked well.

now all I have to do is work my arse off for another couple of years and try and get back there for a moose and grizz.

Thanks for the feedback and good luck with your hunting.

bob

Knute
11-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Congrats Oz Bob, that's a dinkum 'bou mate.
Throw a backstrap on the barbie and get yourself a tinnie!

Sofa King
11-08-2014, 07:32 PM
beautiful caribou.
and beautiful country.
congrats.

lightmag
11-08-2014, 07:35 PM
180's are fine, but 30 cal perform best with a 165\168, best all round ballistics… id shoot a 165 barnes TTSX…or if set on 180… the accubond

Boner
11-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Nice work Bob. Thanks for the update. That's a nice caribou and an amazing background in your picture.