PDA

View Full Version : Kelowna Bow Tuning?

nelsonob1
01-26-2014, 12:18 AM
Would appreciate a recommendation for a Mathews bow tune in the Kelowna area?

bowhunterbruce
01-26-2014, 03:48 AM
chuck or ken at hardcore archery, unquestionably the best in town.

bhb

nelsonob1
01-26-2014, 05:59 PM
chuck or ken at hardcore archery, unquestionably the best in town.

bhb

Appreciate the help, thx.

monasheemountainman
01-26-2014, 06:08 PM
X2 no one else to consider

604redneck
01-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Donny.brooke on this forum is good I won't go near hardcore ever again

monasheemountainman
01-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Why did they touch your special parts lol

knockturnal
01-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Ken at hardcore has actually been to the Mathews bow tuning school.......so that might mean something. He's also the number 1 Mathews dealer in BC.

coach
01-26-2014, 10:53 PM
x4 - Go see Chuck or Ken at Hardcore..

604redneck
01-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Ken at hardcore has actually been to the Mathews bow tuning school.......so that might mean something. He's also the number 1 Mathews dealer in BC.
Hooray for him did the op say he is getting his Mathews tuned? I've spent my fair share of time and money at hardcore and I just stated Donny as another option and that I personally will not go back there. Same reason I will never buy vortex again bad customer service. The best bow tuner in the world can still be a clown

604redneck
01-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Why did they touch your special parts lol
I said stroke and he just gave a fondle

knockturnal
01-27-2014, 12:02 AM
Hooray for him did the op say he is getting his Mathews tuned? I've spent my fair share of time and money at hardcore and I just stated Donny as another option and that I personally will not go back there. Same reason I will never buy vortex again bad customer service. The best bow tuner in the world can still be a clown

Can you not read simple English?

604redneck
01-27-2014, 12:10 PM

Can you not read simple English?
nope only french and american

604redneck
01-27-2014, 12:19 PM
I thought the op was asking if we were looking for a recommendation with the question mark at the end.
But lets not get into spelling and grammar i originally posted another option for him, that is all.
Besides him having gone to the mathews bow tuning course does not mean he knows any more than the next person. I know alot of people that passed there c.o.r.e and pal and still know **** all about hunting and firearm safety, I also know people that passed there drivers test and cant drive.
so I only read the title of the thread, should have read the post as well.
Go try either one of the 2 people that have been mentioned either way good luck

donny.brooke
02-01-2014, 06:07 PM
PM sent. Give me a try

bownut
02-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Dave At Backcountry Archery has moved to Penticton, he has lanes and plenty of know how. I find him to be very good to work with and haven't heard a bad thing from anyone who has had dealings with him.

donny.brooke
02-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Good to hear Daves back up and running. If i didnt tune my own bows Dave would be doing mine for me

Xenomorph
02-03-2014, 04:39 PM
To the OP, either of the places that have the equipment to do so would be "good" as long as you spend your time to educate yourself what a tuning means and how to double check what your dealer did then their tune will be "better" or "the best".

I have no doubts that Ken has the knowledge, you go into that place and you see in everything that is being offered for sale or how busy he is and always on the run one pretty much can see that a lot of things go through his hands. That being said will not guarantee the best tune or the best service, and this is where he earns my solid -1 customer service experience.

I was on my way back home to BC from BC and a brand spanking new "fresh out of the box" archery enthusiast. I had bought my used '09 PSE before leaving Montreal and on my way over - drove across Canada - I stopped at every single archery store I could find. Ken's was one my stops and although hurriedly, he took the time to try to sell me on a Viper 2011 model with a 2012 price tag. What I didn't know in bows at the time I certainly made up for it in enthusiasm, and upon hearing that APA is a Canadian business I quickly put a deposit of 200$ on the Viper. Upon arriving home to Vancouver and after further research I called him and asked him if the Viper was 2011, he admitted to being so, and since I didn't know much about bows I proposed to just get a King Cobra '12 editional blackout. He had measured me at 28" draw the day I was in the store, emphasis on the hurriedly, and of course, he's not to be blamed, I have seen since then my share on "rushed" people that don't know what they're buying, but here's where the story gets interesting. I've started devouring any article I could find and educating myself as much as I could on any and every aspect of the hobby. I've also lucked out in finding an amazing dealer in town here (Boorman Archery) and they took their time on and again measuring, giving me free advice and schooling me on everything that I brought to their attention. My draw length turned out to be 30" and practicing the 65# turned out to be super easy for me and was tempted more and more to get a "heavier" bow.

At this point there had been months that passed by and after a few attempts and messages to get in touch with Ken (as I had changed my mind) I got the "schooling" of my life. I got to talk to him and not wanting to have him lose the business (did not ask for a second to have the money reimbursed) I asked him -since I've learned more and more about me and the setup that is required for me and all- to give me either arrows or a good release. He started laughing, telling me I am out of my 3 months for getting any money back and that all he can give me is a whisker biscuit. I told him I couldn't believe that's what he's saying at which point he replied "Well let me tell you how I lost 20k in my business!" :mrgreen:

Keep your money sir, it was a lesson well paid for and definitely worst customer service I've ever experienced. Might be my fault, who knows, but I disagree. The level of involvement and teaching I got from the team at Boorman Archery far surpasses any of my expectations: no wonder they got my business on (new Matrix December '13, new Carbon Spyder Turbo, new Surelocs Leathal Weapon one slider one 5 pin retina lock, countless odds and ends).

For a small city he probably is a good place to stop and start. I would definitely stay on learning and checking and double checking myself if I were to go there ever again. I'm sure a lot of you guys probably had and continue having wonderful service and experiences with them, I for one hope I won't need to reach out to him for a long time.

nope only french and american

Vraiment?

I thought the op was asking if we were looking for a recommendation with the question mark at the end.
But lets not get into spelling and grammar i originally posted another option for him, that is all.
Besides him having gone to the mathews bow tuning course does not mean he knows any more than the next person. I know alot of people that passed there c.o.r.e and pal and still know **** all about hunting and firearm safety, I also know people that passed there drivers test and cant drive.
so I only read the title of the thread, should have read the post as well.
Go try either one of the 2 people that have been mentioned either way good luck

Your inbox is full :wink:

donny.brooke
02-03-2014, 08:29 PM
The OP has asked me to tune it for him. A mod should close this thread.

Jonas111
02-04-2014, 09:26 PM
There is horror stories with every archery store. I have a great relationship with Ken and I can fully understand how he may rub some people the wrong way, but I can tell you he devotes a ton of his own personal time to grow this sport because he loves it dearly. That is why I like dealing with him more then anything. He is truly passionate about this sport and loves to teach it.

Donny is another awesome bow tuner. He has done many bows for me and they have shot awesome.

Good luck to you OP, and if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.

Xenomorph
02-05-2014, 11:30 AM
There is horror stories with every archery store. I have a great relationship with Ken and I can fully understand how he may rub some people the wrong way, but I can tell you he devotes a ton of his own personal time to grow this sport because he loves it dearly. That is why I like dealing with him more then anything. He is truly passionate about this sport and loves to teach it.

I think I did mention that my experience was not the norm and that there most likely are guys out there that will swear and stand by him and his service. I have nothing against that, it was just something for the OP to consider as the other guy on this thread with a negative experience was being bashed a little for it.

Anyone who opens a business should by definition be beyond involved into everything that business entails, but at the same time that person's customer service delivery is that much more commendable when it generates return business, right? Return customers is what business growth is generally based on and what will lead to higher profits. Take my client yesterday that's not even with us anymore and she needed 3 different years worth of reports for a government audit. I should have charged her at least 300$ for all that but you know what I did, I offered them to her for free because they were urgent and I want her business again, maybe during this year, maybe the next, but now my name, email and experience will stick with her for a while and I might capitalize on it.

Bottom line is I was inexperienced, as I've educated myself I saw the flaws in what he was offering me (too short of a draw length etc) but I didn't want him to loose my business so I asked for something else instead. I was laughed at and discarded and well, went and spent my money elsewhere. From my point of view, which I agree it is as subjective as it comes, it would take some effort on his end to ever consider giving him my business.

WKCotts
02-05-2014, 08:48 PM

X2 on that. I've been to hundreds of hunting shops and this is one of the only ones I will not step foot in again. Been in there twice and will never go back.

Jonas111
02-06-2014, 10:52 PM
If you were in Kens store, which I am not doubting, you would have noticed he runs an embroidery store first and an archery store second. There isn't enough margin in archery for his needs so he does it as a hobby cause he loves it.

I don't think posts like this are very fair to Ken and Hardcore Archery. He doesn't come on here to explain his side of the story about your situation and as everyone knows there is two sides to every story.

I think I did mention that my experience was not the norm and that there most likely are guys out there that will swear and stand by him and his service. I have nothing against that, it was just something for the OP to consider as the other guy on this thread with a negative experience was being bashed a little for it.

Anyone who opens a business should by definition be beyond involved into everything that business entails, but at the same time that person's customer service delivery is that much more commendable when it generates return business, right? Return customers is what business growth is generally based on and what will lead to higher profits. Take my client yesterday that's not even with us anymore and she needed 3 different years worth of reports for a government audit. I should have charged her at least 300$ for all that but you know what I did, I offered them to her for free because they were urgent and I want her business again, maybe during this year, maybe the next, but now my name, email and experience will stick with her for a while and I might capitalize on it.

Bottom line is I was inexperienced, as I've educated myself I saw the flaws in what he was offering me (too short of a draw length etc) but I didn't want him to loose my business so I asked for something else instead. I was laughed at and discarded and well, went and spent my money elsewhere. From my point of view, which I agree it is as subjective as it comes, it would take some effort on his end to ever consider giving him my business.

coach
02-06-2014, 11:24 PM
why is this thread still going?

knockturnal
02-06-2014, 11:51 PM
If you were in Kens store, which I am not doubting, you would have noticed he runs an embroidery store first and an archery store second. There isn't enough margin in archery for his needs so he does it as a hobby cause he loves it.

I don't think posts like this are very fair to Ken and Hardcore Archery. He doesn't come on here to explain his side of the story about your situation and as everyone knows there is two sides to every story.

2 sides to every story is right.

donny.brooke
02-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Wholesale on the westside is going to have a full blown archery retail section. I wonder how there bow tuning service is going to be ?? Im heading there Saturday to check it out.

Xenomorph
02-07-2014, 11:58 AM

I read and thought about this for a couple hours if I should reply or not. You will agree with me that my posts were not bashing him, nor Hardcore Archery. It was merely a story revealing my experience and impression with Ken; furthermore, I've mentioned several times that I am sure he's given great service to others and that my opinion is as subjective as they come, because it is based on that one experience.

I keep reading all your guys' comments and I would actually be curious to what's his side of the story. A simple technicality that doesn't allow me to recover my deposit for which I didn't want the money back in the first place; I realized what he offered and put for sale for me was not accurate, but I was willing to go past it and still offer my business by just getting another item (High end release, or arrows spined to my new setups). Was that something that he couldn't work with? Are you telling me as a business owner you wouldn't be able to accommodate something like this for your client?

It's not that big of an issue anyway, for me it kind of was a positive experience, a wake up call that made me educate myself into what archery entails even further. I'm not an unreasonable man. He wants to change my impression of all this he can call me, email or PM me anytime he wants. He must still have all my info.

I have to apologize to the OP because I have a feeling my comment derailed this thread into pro and con HA and that was definitely not my intention.

Have a nice long weekend everyone