PDA

View Full Version : How not to approach a downed moose

gerrygoat
01-25-2014, 09:14 PM
This guy sure underestimated this bull, I bet he isn't that careless again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwF02n-015s

Matty_ola
01-25-2014, 09:32 PM
LOL... Broomstick up the ass... Too funny

bc_buckshot
01-25-2014, 09:38 PM
What a clown!

davet
01-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Well i would never go hunting with him

hunter1993ap
01-25-2014, 10:01 PM
the guy missed chambering a round and it didn't fire. oops, but I don't think he's a clown. just had a bad go with the moose. plus he's able to admit that it was stupid, he'll probably never do anything like that again. don't see why the need to grill him so bad. he is actually a pretty smart man. I've been listening to him do some interviews lately and what I've seen he's a good voice for the hunting community.

cant remember if it was this forum that I saw this on but if not heres a pretty good vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2N0Utg7KYE

gerrygoat
01-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Yep, he somehow didn't chamber a round and then never dreamed a moose would want to even the score with him. I don't think he will ever do that again :)

finaddict
01-25-2014, 10:18 PM
That'll put a stripe in yer shorts

todbartell
01-25-2014, 10:27 PM
entertaining

sniper ren
01-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Haha that was pretty funny!

Steve W
01-25-2014, 11:11 PM
His full length shows are some of the better hunting ones I've watched. Almost no advertising and he shows his mistakes and his successes. I'd go on a trip with him.

HarryToolips
01-25-2014, 11:34 PM
LOL good vid ya just shows it's always best to get one clean shot then sit, wait for a while for the animal to lay down and die..

avadad
01-25-2014, 11:50 PM
the guy missed chambering a round and it didn't fire. oops, but I don't think he's a clown. just had a bad go with the moose. plus he's able to admit that it was stupid, he'll probably never do anything like that again. don't see why the need to grill him so bad. he is actually a pretty smart guy. I've been listening to him do some interviews lately and what I've seen he's a good voice for the hunting community.

cant remember if it was this forum that I saw this on but if not heres a pretty good vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2N0Utg7KYE

Not a clown, just human. I give him credit for actually admitting his mistake and then show it to his audience. Might actually keep someone else from getting hurt. He is a smart man and is a real benefit to the hunting community.

250 sav
01-26-2014, 12:29 AM
Not something he will forget soon.

JLsteel
01-26-2014, 12:35 AM
That's Steve Rinella from a clip from his show Meateater. It's a very well put together show and he hunts for all the right reasons. He has been on various news programs and talk shows to try to educate the general public of why hunting is a legitimate activity and why our rights should be maintained etc. He is a great ambassador for us hunters unlike the Duck Dynasty guy.

Watch this clip of Steve Rinella on fox news defending hunting from 2 clowns.
http://youtu.be/QsrM2pAVNC8

If you are into Joe Rogan's Podcasts, Steve Rinella has been on there a few times. They are very good podcasts

khoffnbud
01-26-2014, 07:23 AM

Its Tim Herald you'd need to worry about....

Ian F.
01-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Can't believe anyone would bash Rinella, might want too "look into him", just a wee bit....

wicket
01-26-2014, 09:34 AM
definately a guy I would WANT to hunt with someday. Really IMO the best outdoor show out there. Watch the whole show hes a normal guy who isnt afraid to be a nomal guy in this world of "superstar hunting personalities". Yep def a dude Id hunt with anyday.

Fella
01-26-2014, 09:35 AM
He gained my respect when he went on a goat hunting trip and didn't shoot anything due to the concern over not being able to recover it. I don't know many of those shows who would do an episode and not shoot anything!

gerrygoat
01-26-2014, 09:44 AM
I certainly didn't post the link so he would be bashed, it isn't every day you see a moose wanting to even the score like that :) we have all made mistakes in the past and will do so in the future too. No one has reached the level of perfection.

Salty
01-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Never heard of the guy I like his style. Can't think of too many if any other hunting shows that would emphasise what not to do and focus on where and how they screwed up right down to shot placement and a bit of anatomy. He just seems to describe what happened during his epic F U, where and how he screwed up and the lessons to be learned. I can think of other shows that would show the footage all right but there would be a waaaay different spin on things. ;)

abbyfireguy
01-26-2014, 10:26 AM
He is a very luck fellow.. That was a good sized moose. Could have done way more than poke him in the a$$!!
lucky he didn't get under the hooves...

303carbine
01-26-2014, 11:20 AM
A first class idiot.....

yama49
01-26-2014, 11:25 AM
A first class idiot.....

Care to explain why?

pittriver
01-26-2014, 11:28 AM
That guy is a moron. Why not have some fun calling the bull right out in the open and wait for it to present a broadside shot. And then prancing up to it and having a gun malfunction. He is very lucky he didn't get trampled to death, I think if it would have been a cow moose he may not be telling the story himself.

sapper
01-26-2014, 11:34 AM
That guy is a moron. Why not have some fun calling the bull right out in the open and wait for it to present a broadside shot. And then prancing up to it and having a gun malfunction. He is very lucky he didn't get trampled to death, I think if it would have been a cow moose he may not be telling the story himself.
My take was not that he had a "gun malfunction" but that he was chambering a round; arguably that would have been good to have done a tad earlier.
I like though that he actually posted this, showed his poor choice and let others learn from it. Many others just never mention those stories and brag about their successes.

rocksteady
01-26-2014, 11:35 AM
I don't believe he is a moron or an idiot. I am sure there is more than a few members on here who have seen a shot critter stand up, after you think its toast. In this case the moose came at him, lots of times, the critter goes straight away. I think his mistake was not plugging it again, as soon as he saw it was still alive. He was smart enough to approach the critter from the rear.

I see lots of guys on WildTV walk up to a downed animal from the front, then poke it in the eyeball with 1 hand on the rifle. To me thats a moron.

Fred1
01-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Ha that's awesome!! Now that's great stuff to catch on video instead of the usual boring kill shot crap... Im sure we have all seen far dumber things done by our buddies on hunting trips. I have done the exact same thing the guy in this video did - I didn't see the moose till he stood up 12 feet away - I raised the gun one handed and it didn't miss fire...Three years ago a well seasoned guide I was working with got all caught up in the excitement of a moose kill, ran up to the "dead" moose and grabbed his antler to pull up his head and have a look. The moose swung his head and threw this guy into the grass - it happens - still pretty funny stuff! :) one thing for sure, that client has a great story to tell of his moose hunt.
Be careful out there and no matter what anyone tells you, carry one more pair of gonch....

Mishka
01-26-2014, 11:36 AM
That's Steve Rinella from a clip from his show Meateater. It's a very well put together show and he hunts for all the right reasons. He has been on various news programs and talk shows to try to educate the general public of why hunting is a legitimate activity and why our rights should be maintained etc. He is a great ambassador for us hunters unlike the Duck Dynasty guy.

Watch this clip of Steve Rinella on fox news defending hunting from 2 clowns.
http://youtu.be/QsrM2pAVNC8

If you are into Joe Rogan's Podcasts, Steve Rinella has been on there a few times. They are very good podcasts

Arghh, I just watched that video. The british dude was just plain annoying. There was no debate there.... Rinella seems like a good guy. Good ambassador.

leadpillproductions
01-26-2014, 11:38 AM
LOL I like his moose call skills lol

hunter1993ap
01-26-2014, 11:41 AM
the "saint" mentality on this site is overwhelming at times. if you spend enough time in the field things are going to go bad.

Salty
01-26-2014, 11:53 AM
the "saint" mentality on this site is overwhelming at times. if you spend enough time in the field things are going to go bad.

Agreed 100%. Its this kind of call down another hunter's method over picky details bullshit that drives wedges in the hunting community. Those with the I'm right and **** everybody else attitude are our tuin. As always because of a few loud mouths "we" are "our" worse enemy. It never ceases to amaze me. And the anonymous internet is only making it worse.

leadpillproductions
01-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Ive done the exact same thing my gun didn't go click . When the adrenaline gets pumpin you do some not so smart thing lol

One Shot
01-26-2014, 12:41 PM
That'll put a stripe in yer shorts

Nope, it got pushed back in..........

avadad
01-26-2014, 01:07 PM
A first class idiot.....

I'd encourage you to do some more research on the man before you call him an idiot. I've said it before, he is a real advocate for the hunting community and we should be supporting him. I would love to be in on one of his hunts.

pinofire
01-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Shorts Please!! Hope he has some Sh!t tickets

RBH
01-26-2014, 01:52 PM
I can see how some think this is humourous but to me hunting is not about doing it for profit or public entertainment. His attitude throughout seems a cavalier and designed more for the camera than respect for this animal and good hunting practices. I would expect him to know that chasing a downed animal is the surest way to pump it full of adrenalin and send it on its way instead of holding back, letting it lie down and die, which for deer let alone moose can take a little while. I wouldn't judge this guy so harshly except he is putting himself forward as an expert and modeling behaviour that I for one don't find impressive.

Ian F.
01-26-2014, 02:57 PM
I can see how some think this is humourous but to me hunting is not about doing it for profit or public entertainment. His attitude throughout seems a cavalier and designed more for the camera than respect for this animal and good hunting practices. I would expect him to know that chasing a downed animal is the surest way to pump it full of adrenalin and send it on its way instead of holding back, letting it lie down and die, which for deer let alone moose can take a little while. I wouldn't judge this guy so harshly except he is putting himself forward as an expert and modeling behaviour that I for one don't find impressive.

judging someone on what 30 secs of video HE CHOOSE to show to the world? Do your homework before you judge someone

khoffnbud
01-26-2014, 03:26 PM
A first class idiot.....

Must be talkin about yourself bud, Steve is a top notch guy

NitwiT
01-26-2014, 04:02 PM
once again, the 'arm chairs' of HBC have spoken and judged yet another hunter for showing a less then perfect hunt. Wonder why no one posts stories or pictures anymore, especially ones with less then stellar results.

Glad I never shared my first bear hunt story.... I would be crucified...

pittriver
01-26-2014, 06:56 PM

I agree with your statement 100%. If this Steve fella is such a top notch guy, then why didn't he wait until the bull presented him with a broadside shot. We all make mistakes, me included, but this guy claims to be an expert. By putting a video like that on youtube, all hunters are judged; our ethics and making animals suffer unnecessarily.

ru rancher
01-26-2014, 07:01 PM
he grew up in the states where they only got whitetail. i dont know if you noticed but they are alot smaller. so the shot he took he thought would be plenty to kill the moose. just like how people grow up takeing head shots its one of the worst shots because of the possibility for error with such a small target but many poeople take it still.

rifleman
01-26-2014, 08:07 PM
whoa. he's darn lucky that moose didn't keep goin after him.. he woulda been a hurtin unit....

Phreddy
01-26-2014, 09:09 PM
I had a similar experience with one of the first moose I shot. Then those words of wisdom my dear old late dad said.
"when the critter goes down, wait at least the amount of time it takes to smoke a cigarette before slowly approaching it. I often use that incident as part of my CORE program. Shit happens when someone is caught up in the moment and doesn't stop to think. To all the armchair critics, wait..your turn will come in another way, and anyone who tries to tell me they've never made a mistake out in the bush is either full of $hit or hasn't been out the bush very much.

Fred1
01-27-2014, 06:54 PM
i had a similar experience with one of the first moose i shot. Then those words of wisdom my dear old late dad said.
"when the critter goes down, wait at least the amount of time it takes to smoke a cigarette before slowly approaching it. I often use that incident as part of my core program. Shit happens when someone is caught up in the moment and doesn't stop to think. To all the armchair critics, wait..your turn will come in another way, and anyone who tries to tell me they've never made a mistake out in the bush is either full of $hit or hasn't been out the bush very much.

bingo!!! ;)

finaddict
01-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Must be talkin about yourself bud, Steve is a top notch guyI agree. I had never heard of him so I watched a bunch of his youtube vids and he is articulate and well spoken. His debate with a vegan over the taking of animal life left the vegan absolutely speechless. I'd be quite happy to hunt with the guy. He could teach me alot.

luckofthedraw
01-27-2014, 10:39 PM
"I'm like so glad that happened, cuz it was such a……it just wakes you up, you know? Gettin charged by a moose." -Steven Rinella

He's awake from now on lol. :mrgreen: I am glad he shared this mistake.

Phreddy
01-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Luckofthedraw, when you say "He's awake from now on lol. I am glad he shared this mistake." Keep in mind that it's pretty hard to sleep when you've got your pants full of evidence. lol

ElectricDyck
01-27-2014, 11:52 PM
Well thanks for posting that, I've now been enjoying all his youtube vids with the kids. The one on the bone marrow and pemican was pretty interesting to me....

Rackem
01-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Love marrow...

So the guy messed up. Even smart people get excited and make poor decisions. At least he is sharing his error so others may benefit.

I knew a fella who was an experienced hunter and houndsman. He went hunting for a Trophy moose way up North. His wife was filming the hunt, and he downed a big 60 incher. He walked up to the Moose, and it got up and put its brow tine through his ass cheek and out the front of his pelvis as it raked him along the ground before it bled out. His wife dropped the camera when it started goring him, but the audio was still on. You could hear her screaming his name over and over.

They had come in on quads over 1000kms from the truck....the truck was six hours from the nearest medical aid. He had ruptured intestine. But he INSISTED that the Moose be taken with them, so his wife gutted and quartered it and muscled it into the quad trailer. Then the long journey back to help...he ended up with a peritonitis and was quite sick for awhile...but he recovered, with a large deficit in his ass cheek which he would offer to show anyone after telling the story lol.

So, he told me, if you shoot a moose, wait ten minutes by your watch. Slowly stalk up to the last known area, and have one ready to fire. Observe the moose for awhile but do not approach. Clap your hands or talk aloud. Wait. Only when you are absolutely sure it is dead, approach at the ready. :)

wicket
01-29-2014, 02:40 PM
true enough we have all been excited and rushed in and things happened too quickly to even be ready for the outcome...there was this one time with a tall brunette................(puts hand on forehead and wonders why he types what he does sometimes)

skibum
01-29-2014, 03:15 PM
Steve is someone I highly respect. He is able to intelligently articulate hunter rights better than most. A lot of hunters don really appreciate what someone like him does for the sport. Don't get me wrong, I like Ted Nugget, but getting the message out without getting in someones face and loosing your cool works better than some sensationalized sound bite

To the guys criticizing him - If you had a camera on you during 90% of your hunts, there would be no footage of you making any mistakes?

BCBear
01-31-2014, 10:21 PM
you should be so lucky as to be invited...the saints come marching in once again!

Tenacious Billy
01-31-2014, 11:19 PM
Steve Rinella is exactly what the hunting community needs more of. Anyone who considers him an idiot or clown should try reading some of his books or listening to/watching some of his interviews.

604redneck
02-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Ya I don't see the need for people to grill him on this one. He made a very minor mistake of not knowing if the round chambered properly and it lead to something worse but he lived to tell the story and hopefully this gives us all a wake up call. I am pretty careful when I approach any animal but I did approach a downed cow moose once and this things eyes were grey it was dead, I came up from behind and walked along the belly and I can't tell u if it was the Moises nerves or what but this thing flinched and kicked me real good about half way up the calf. Not as bad as a charge but it hurt and I ruined a perfectly good pair of boxers

oclarkii
02-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Steve Rinella is exactly what the hunting community needs more of. Anyone who considers him an idiot or clown should try reading some of his books or listening to/watching some of his interviews.

Well Put. I've heard him talk about this on a podcast and he is very quick to point out the mistakes he made and laugh at himself for the whole situation (and before anybody jumps on this too, to recognise how bad it could have been). Rinella is an extremely intelligent, well spoken and unapologetic proponent of hunting (not to mention a wonderful writer) and to bash him is to show complete ignorance. And as was mentioned, his show Meat Eater puts 99% of all the other hillbilly garbage on all the outdoor channels to shame.

We, as a hunting community, should be reading his writing and singing his praises from the rooftops.

(mic drop....)

oclarkii
02-01-2014, 10:14 AM
And another thing - couldn't agree more with this one as well. Armchair tough guys from the city pretending they know shit about spending real time in the bush. Sometimes shit goes down, deal with it.

gerrygoat
02-01-2014, 10:23 AM
I have to agree about the guys that act like jerks on HBC, it must be hard for such perfect people to be around mediocrity. Another observation from over the years those who yell the loudest often have the most to hide........

300H&H
02-02-2014, 03:43 AM
He got run over by a "small" bull AND dropped his gun...dumb ass !!!

fearnodeer
02-02-2014, 08:43 AM
I fought it was good of him to show the mistakes he made as well as admit the mistakes he made.

markt308
02-02-2014, 08:56 AM
I really enjoyed that haha. He learned a lot there im sure

ElectricDyck
02-02-2014, 09:12 AM
Since seeing this thread I've watched the first couple seasons of his show and I gotta say I have a lot of respect for him! An honest show with extremely minimal advertising, good backpack style hunts, tid bits of hunting history, humour and some good cooking ideas. One of the best shows I've ever seen. The new zealand tahr,chamy hunt was my favorite so far!

lorneparker1
02-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Since seeing this thread I've watched the first couple seasons of his show and I gotta say I have a lot of respect for him! An honest show with extremely minimal advertising, good backpack style hunts, tid bits of hunting history, humour and some good cooking ideas. One of the best shows I've ever seen. The new zealand tahr,chamy hunt was my favorite so far!

Agreed. Steve is top shelf.

SHACK
02-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Top notch show, great series, and one of hte only tv hosts I can handle. Big error, but we all shit the bed sometimes and he was willing to show it
kodos!.

jeff341
02-03-2014, 02:25 PM
I am just getting into hunting, super green. I am glad he posted this video, so much to learn and so many things can happen. There should be a thread full of these types of videos/examples/stories.....would make safety issues and scenarios more realistic or more situationally applicable. Plus, it is way easier to learn from someone else's mistakes.

Oh, this is my first post (I think) so I guess you'll be wanting a joke.....

......... My mother-in-law fell down a wishing well, I was amazed, I never knew they worked. ..........

308Lover
02-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Learn how to shoot.

albravo2
02-03-2014, 03:39 PM
That was awesome. Everybody makes mistakes and he clearly owns his. I like his forthright style and his sense of humour. I'll watch his shows.