PDA

View Full Version : Gun Question

HarryToolips
01-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Shot my Remington .30-06 today, about a dozen shots, today was bone dry outside about +2 or 3 degrees C out..my question is, when I bring the gun from a dry environment outside to inside my warm home, should I still be cleaning and oiling it worrying about any moisture, and will the residue left in the barrel from shooting cause any rusting/corrosion? I ask because it seems that my gun shoots better with a dirty barrel, and would like to leave it that way, I don't wanna oil it up again to prevent any corrosion etc.. and I know this has been asked before, but do most of you find your gun(s) shoot better with a dirty barrel?? Thanks all..

SingleShot
01-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Yes, better through a fouled barrel for me. I usually try to finish the day content with the guns and my performance . Then I run a solvent patch until clean and then dry patches . Finally , I put one shot through it and call it good for short term storage. Any longer than 1 or two months storage and I clean and oil lightly. This has never failed me in many years. Barrels are all minty.

M.Dean
01-25-2014, 08:46 PM
I like to keep my Weapons clean. After shooting I'll run a brush down the barrel, take the bolt out and give a good wipe down, I keep a small bottle brush in my cleaning box which I use to clean the extractor area and the chamber, then, if needed, I'll take Remington Gun Cleaner, comes in a big can, take the Gun outside, and give the insides a good spray. Wipe it clean, then, when I put the Gun together, every part get's a spray of Gun Oil. The outside metal gets the oily rag treatment before I put the Rifle either in the Gun Cabinet, or beside the bed, it depends which Rifle it is! My Guns go for lots of Quad rides with me and the Kid's, so a few times a year I strip them right down and use either Gun Cleaner or Brake and Carb Cleaner, brush every part clean, re-oil, etc. Work's good for me, so far!

BernDawg
01-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Yes, moving the firearm from cold to warm you need to wipe it down as there will be some sort of condensation on it. I always wipe down the out side and give the guts a shot of WD40 after a winter shooting session.

HarryToolips
01-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Great thanks guys

Cordillera
01-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Biathlon deals with wet and cold rifles all the time. The first rule they teach us is to put your rifle to bed when you come in. Tha means under a blanket to absorb the condensation while it warms up. Then you want to lightly clean it. Some of the powder residue actually fills small pits in the barrel and makes it more accurate. Good target shooters never use a brush or solvent before a race. Generally after a day of shooting use two dry patches, then a lightly oiled patch, followed by a dry patch. The final patch will be pretty clean but not totally white. For the bolt and around the entrance to the chamber a little oil and wipe it clean.

todbartell
01-25-2014, 10:48 PM
when bringing firearms in from cold temps, I will leave them uncased until the get to room temp, then put them in the safe. If extreme condensation is evident I will wipe them down and maybe run a dry patch thru the bore

RiverOtter
01-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Nothing wrong with a little condensation, especially if the gun has been treated with Rem-Oil or similar before hand. Put it in a dry place and open the bolt, remove barrel tape and let it air dry. If I'm concerned about moisture inside the barrel, I'll simply run a bullet down the bore to dry it out.

Gun Dog
01-26-2014, 09:30 AM
Shot my Remington .30-06 today, about a dozen shots, today was bone dry outside about +2 or 3 degrees C out..my question is, when I bring the gun from a dry environment outside to inside my warm home, should I still be cleaning and oiling it worrying about any moisture...Outside doesn't matter, it's when you bring a cold object into your humid warm house. If the gun temperature is below the dew point (http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_is_dewpoint_temperature.htm) then water vapour in the air will condense on the gun. As long as the gun can dry a little condensation shouldn't matter. You can always warm the gun with a hair dryer before bring it inside.

HarryToolips
01-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Biathlon deals with wet and cold rifles all the time. The first rule they teach us is to put your rifle to bed when you come in. Tha means under a blanket to absorb the condensation while it warms up. Then you want to lightly clean it. Some of the powder residue actually fills small pits in the barrel and makes it more accurate. Good target shooters never use a brush or solvent before a race. Generally after a day of shooting use two dry patches, then a lightly oiled patch, followed by a dry patch. The final patch will be pretty clean but not totally white. For the bolt and around the entrance to the chamber a little oil and wipe it clean.
Definitely like these ideas: all seems like good advice seems like you guys know ur S#@t..