PDA

View Full Version : First and One Time Hunters

Hunterguy
01-25-2014, 11:01 AM
After I read the article that was in the Province regarding first time hunter a few questions came up;
Can a first timer purchase a fire arm without the pal?
Can they apply for an leh?
If they cant purchase a firearm for the hunt and someone loans them a rifle i would assume the owner of the rifle would be liable for any
accident that would occur.

I believe that this is a huge step backwards for all safety in the bush, you do not let just give a person you keys and say here take it for a spin
and if you like driving than you can take lessons.

fishingguy44
01-25-2014, 11:37 AM
I doubt someone will be able to purchase a firearm. And using someone elses you would need to be within sight. I dont have my pal as I just bow hunt however wt hunting this year I used a buddies gun with him being a hundred yards away. I agree that this does nothing for our sport. Im worried how many untrained shots will be taken amd how many animals will go undiscovered.

GoatGuy
01-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Historically the youth license always allowed people 10-13 to hunt under direct supervision of an adult without completing the core course.

the changes to the licensing are 10-17 (instead of 10-13) and a one time new hunter license for anyone who wants to try hunting. The licensees must be under direct supervision of a licensed BC hunter and they shoot that supervisors bag limit. They cannot apply for an leh or bag limit of their own unless they complete the core course and obtain a hunter number. These changes allow people who want an opportunity to try hunting under direct supervision without spending $300-500 to get licensed a couple weekends in a class a thousand or more dollars to get the equipment before they even get to try hunting.

You have always and will always require a pal to own a firearm. The act is federal - totally different than the wildlife act which is provincial. Under direct supervision of someone with a pal an unlicensed person has always been able to shoot a firearm.

the letter in the province was clearly about someone who missed the "engage brain first, then engage mouth" and obviously doesn't know he wildlife act or current licensing. To be honest these are the people who worry me.

Hunterguy
01-25-2014, 12:52 PM
I have no problem with the youth hunting, hunting with my son in his younger days are some of my best memories. Its like anything else you do with family, teacch
them the right way and than as they grow older they are aware of the safety which is required to have a safe hunt. Its the early 20"s group that bothers me, i not
putting every 20 plus guy down they are a lot of good and wary hunters but its the party groups who are the weekend warriors as we have probably run into over
the years. Not having the core or gun handling lessons is just an accident waiting to happen.

GoatGuy
01-25-2014, 02:00 PM
I have no problem with the youth hunting, hunting with my son in his younger days are some of my best memories. Its like anything else you do with family, teacch
them the right way and than as they grow older they are aware of the safety which is required to have a safe hunt. Its the early 20"s group that bothers me, i not
putting every 20 plus guy down they are a lot of good and wary hunters but its the party groups who are the weekend warriors as we have probably run into over
the years. Not having the core or gun handling lessons is just an accident waiting to happen.
20 something's have ALWAYS been able to shoot their buddies guns. That has never, ever changed. There is nothing new here on the shooting side; the only change is on the hunting side. Please refine your argument.

finngun
01-25-2014, 02:11 PM
and then we have this----Initiation LicenceEffective April 1, 2013, the new Initiation Hunting Licence for first time hunters aged 18 or older will be in effect. The requirements to complete CORE and to hold a Hunter Number Card are waived for this one-time-only licence.
good idea just for s:wink:omebody,,who is not sure if he[she] wanna became a hunter....just try it one year

ru rancher
01-25-2014, 02:16 PM
is the price the same as a normal licence? and also challenging the core course is very cheap thats why i dont understand the licnece get you hunter number its not like its a huge ordeal.
but really its just like a junior hunting licence or do they get there own bag limit?

panhead
01-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Don't know how I lived this long hunting and never took the CORE course or the PAL course ... just lucky I guess. And still alive to flyfish without the course to operate my 12 foot aluminum boat too ... and only 5 extra questions when applying for my drivers license to ride my motorcycle ... and ...

finngun
01-25-2014, 02:34 PM
is the price the same as a normal licence? and also challenging the core course is very cheap thats why i dont understand the licnece get you hunter number its not like its a huge ordeal.
but really its just like a junior hunting licence or do they get there own bag limit?

price,,i don't know,,i assume same as reg.hunting licence...bag limit==no own bag limit,,it is :wink:out of your buddies limit

Hunterguy
01-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Firstly it wasnt an arguement but a discussion, yes i understand kids have always be able to go camping, target practise but hunting now they are going to beable to
walk in the bush with that firearm with limited safety instuction. Hopefully they borrow a good pair of binos i hate being scoped.

E.V.B.H.
01-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Firstly it wasnt an arguement but a discussion, yes i understand kids have always be able to go camping, target practise but hunting now they are going to beable to
walk in the bush with that firearm with limited safety instuction. Hopefully they borrow a good pair of binos i hate being scoped.

You seem to be misunderstanding a little. You still can't get a regular license without taking core. You can get a one time license without it but must be supervised by someone with a specified amount of experience and are shooting their tags.

lone wolf
07-29-2014, 09:18 PM
And this initiation hunt works great for some people . My girlfriend has here pal and has had it for a while as she enjoys shooting and has been uncertain if she would like to hunt . This gives her an opportunity to try it for 1 season . And i have a feeling she may enjoy some of the hunts we will be embarking on this season which will push her to get her core . So this fall my book will be full of tags and opportunity for her .