PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Retail in Lower Mainland

onpoint
01-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Curious to know what people think of hunting and outdoor gear retail in the LML? Are you satisfied with what's available? Are you happy to buy online for what you can't get? Drive to or order from the US when you have to?

fishingguy44
01-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Its not too bad if you add all the available options together. I do really like the affordability of Canadian Tires new hunting/gun section on Grandview.

6.5x55
01-24-2014, 11:23 PM
although I focused more on fishing than hunting recently I must say that my trips across the border to washington state have been a disappointment compared to our shops in langley-chilliwack

Ian F.
01-25-2014, 09:36 AM
Pic it up in Sumas, regrettably is the best shop in the LML

nature girl
01-25-2014, 10:03 AM
I dont think it is bad here at all for looking for hunting stuff. It is much better to see the item in person then say to order it and then you are not real happy with it. But every once in awhile I do order stuff from the internet.

BiG Boar
01-25-2014, 10:27 AM
No one seems to stock anything anymore. Finding stuff on the shelf is next to impossible at any store. Cabelas in the states, wholesale in Langley, small mom and pop stores. So to answer your question yes, it could use a lot of improvement . If one of the stores would actually stock stuff, they would find they would probably attract more business. But they don't want to stock anything, as it costs money, and if I'm going to wait for it, then I'll order it online, which is usually cheapest and out of the states.

rcar
01-25-2014, 10:56 AM
We are a lot better off than most other areas of the province. At least there are a handful of independent shops where we can get decent advice. I buy my firearms and ammo locally to try to support the "mom & pop" shops because I think they bring a LOT of value to our sport but I tend to buy a lot of my secondary items online due to limited stock and selection.

Kudu
01-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Most retailers get it when prospective buyers start slagging their staff off (staff who actually can't do a dam thing about the stock situation).

The ammo / gun situation in states hasn't helped the local retailer - stock has been really hard to come by in the last year or so.

Non the less - until you have faced a grown man throwing juvenile tantrums in the store over stuff - you (the sales person) have no control over - you really can not appreciate the comedy of it all....

Ranger95 has learned the hard way - now he just smiles, looks the fools in the eye and tells them that google could well be their best friend!

onpoint
01-25-2014, 11:17 AM
I think for firearms we're fairly well taken care of between Italian, Reliable and WSS. But when it comes to archery equipment, boots (especially), and quality apparel (Sitka, First Lite, Kryptek) it's not great. I know some of our site sponsors carry these apparel brands but with apparel I definitely prefer to try stuff on. Kuiu only exeption and only because there's no alternative.

I would love to see a store dedicated to the mountain hunter where you can get a good selection of boots, apparel, packs, and accessories, etc. the kind of stuff that's nice to try on and handle before buying. By the time you drive down to the US in a lot of cases it's not worth the time/gas.

Island Mile
01-25-2014, 12:48 PM
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&appID=34&template=news_display.cfm&newsID=509

how about a 145000sqft BassPro?

xcaribooer
01-25-2014, 01:57 PM
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&appID=34&template=news_display.cfm&newsID=509

how about a 145000sqft BassPro?

this is good news!
I cant believe it has taken this long. I sure think cabelas has missed the boat by putting a store in nainamo and not over in the LML where all the people are. I doubt you will see too many people paying the high fares to cross the ferry to go shop there.

Bugle M In
01-25-2014, 05:27 PM
cabelas or a bass pro type environment would be great in the LM,
AS long as they are willing to match internet pricing.
I guess they would have to organize that with the manufacturers of products.
as for the buyer, it would benefit us...I like to see the products first hand.
Only the better products would be sold, causing manufacturers to better their own products that aren't selling.
Hardest thing to purchase is clothing IMO, sizes to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer,....
no matter what a sales rep tells you.
unlike the states, most of us here aren't XXXL's!!!!!!

Also, these retail outlets have to recognize our type of hunting, and products needed for our species here etc.

Lastcar
01-25-2014, 06:15 PM
I tend to be very much an online shopper whether it be via Canadian or US stores.

I do pick ups in Blaine, but we do some other shopping for grass fed beef and organic birds etc as well when we are down.

As much as we need to bite the bullet and buy local the price difference is just too great. of course if more of us did it the prices would come down...

There are also some other items we can only get down there. So we are pretty hefty cross border shoppers for staples such as organic meats, organic cheese and a few other items. Naturally as I become proficient at hunting we will hopefully need less of this meat and birds.

We do it, not sure we are overly proud of it though.

If we time it right and fill up when down there we still come out ahead. Takes about 10L to get there and back and we save about $21-25 on a fill up. Of which about $10 is eaten up by the trip.

That all said, I have recently bought a fair bit from Grouse River and was very pleased with their service, staff and selection. Certainly they can not carry everything and have it all in stock all the time but it is nice to know I am buying from a shop with what appears to be a great set of roots, values and contributes back to the local community. Local being BC hunting community. I am in Vancouver.

Happened to be almost all clothing, but I find I tend to land pretty darn safe on the sizing charts for most brands and have gotten it right so far. But will also agree it is a bit of a mystery what I am really getting until it arrives as I have never seen it in person. They have a fair return policy including free shipping which goes a long ways when shopping online.

I find that the biggest pain in the ass with online shopping, is the fact it costs to return it. I can handle the shipping costs if they are reasonable or offset by the apparent savings. But knowing I have to pay to return drives me nuts. Completely ridiculous of me as of course it is going to cost money to get it back, slowly wrapping my pea brain around the idea.

The one thing I do love about the online shopping options is the reviews. Sure some may be fake but for the most part I assume they are all real and genuine. So rather then a sales person explain why I something is great for me I can make up my own mind. I just feel it has been so long since I have had a retail experience where I trust the sales people through and through. Probably not since Anglers West closed. God I miss that shop.

I guess that was the biggest thing for me. When I lost "my fishing store" when Anglers West dissolved and as much as I tried never found another fishing store and staff to call my own I was broken of my desire to have a go to spot for all my needs for which ever sport or type of shopping.

So, yes now I am an online shopper. Almost 100%. BUT if I lived in Kelowna I'd sure as heck giving Grouse River my best shot at making them home base. Not saying they'd win but I guess at my core I still love the idea of walking in somewhere that feels like home and you are treated as such.

I recently went to the Cabelas in Winnipeg and I guess I could make that my go to spot. Always have been pleased with the service and products. Prices are far from the best though. In fact I often find many a place online beats their prices. www.bhphoto.com for optics has them beat by about 20-40% on everything.

Anyways...for those of you that are still here and made it through the blah blah blah...I shop online but secretly would love a local shop that I could fall in love with.

mcmullmar
01-25-2014, 06:53 PM
I believe it could be better. I shop at Wholesale in Langley and find that they generally have nothing in stock or only sell certain brands. I probably buy more on line with cabelas although I would prefer to shop local

quaint bucket
01-27-2014, 10:49 AM
I go to:

Canadian Tires, Poco

I find they have a lot of good generic stuff that fills a need. I'm always in there anyway for auto parts when I'm not at NAPA, T&T Auto, and Lordco in Coquitlam. Parking is great and close to Mark Warehouse.

Mark's Work Warehouse, Poco

I check in there to see what they have from time to time.

Princess Auto, Coquitlam

I try not to go there unless I'm desperate. This is basically when a Canadian Tire and a Dollar Store get together to make a baby... (they have everything, but their stuff is all over the store... good luck finding what you're looking for)

Walmart, Poco

I check the camping section.. you never know! I bought a cheap fishing rod just because my old one broke and I'm just a casual fisher...

Target, Coquitlam

I check in there for clothes sometimes. That's where I bought my base layer and midlayer.

Wanstalls, Maple Ridge

They're a good shop, good people, very helpful. I find they don't have a lot of stuff in stock or a wide range of stock. I will buy my ammo there just to support them because they've been good to me. I still have an outstanding one time 10% discount that I'm planning on using to buy my rifle with. Parking availability is poor.

Reliable, Vancouver

Great shop. I've bought my .22 rifle and 12g shotgun from them because they offered A) the best price and B) Price match (with a little negotiation...). Their staff is pretty knowledgable. Their selection is a little more broad than Wanstall but less than Italian Sporting Goods. Parking is ok.

Italian Sporting Good, Vancouver

Nice shop. Staff was knowledgable but I find their manners could use some work. Don't like how they snub my guns because they don't carry it themselves. Selection is very broad. I would come back here for the clothes and gears if I need to.

Blue Line Outdoor Sports, Poco

I find this store focused a LOT more on tactical stuff. They have a little bit of hunting and fishing stuff. I talked to the owner and he did say they're looking on scaling back on the tactical stuff and focus more on hunting. Not much expansion on fishing though. Parking is adequate (same as reliable). Store has potential, I'm always checking back to see what they got on my way back from CDN Tire or work.

Wholesale Sports, Langley

I shop here lots of time. I wish their clothing section was a little more broad. I don't go into the fishing section (I'm not a huge fishing guy but I do like the occassional fishing...). They have a little of everything but they don't have what I'm always looking for. Parking is great but I'm not a fan of going there because of the bridge toll. Makes me wish we had a Cabelas or Bass Pro.

Atmosphere, Coquitlam

Generic camping gears. I check in there when there's a sale. Haven't bought much from them.

Mountain Equipment Co-op, Vancouver

I used to go there quite a bit before they rebranded to appeal to the hipster crowds. I haven't gone there for a long time because I've outgrown their selection. Having said that, they DO have some nice gears there that can be applicable...

Amazon, The Internet

I'm always looking. I usually find the books I'm looking for and other gears.

Cabelas, Edmonton and Oregon

I stopped by there in Oregon during my vacation and loved it. It's a great big store and I personally like the bargain cave. Wish we had one in LML.

Thrift stores, Everywhere

You can be surprised what you find. I bought like 10 decent midlayers for like $5....

Winners, Coquitlam and Maple Ridge

I bought my jacket there. CHEAP. I'm happy with it because it suits me until I can buy a good hi quality one.

I'm looking forward to BPS opening up. I want to try Kuiu for my gear because it's similar to Sitka in terms of design but I don't know how it feels for comfort. I'm the kind of guy that prefers to try before buy when it comes to clothes. Like others, I don't like PAYING to return...