PDA

View Full Version : $450 for wolf pelt and skull!!!

B-rad
01-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Just watched a segment on CBC news and in northwest terr. They offering $450 bux for wolf hide and the skull,,,,anyone else hear bout this??

Darksith
01-24-2014, 05:35 AM
Who's they

Stresd
01-24-2014, 08:19 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/wolf-shot-in-fort-good-hope-n-w-t-after-killing-dog-1.2508523

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources pays $400 per wolf pelt and $50 per skull to encourage people to hunt wolves in an effort to increase the Bathurst caribou herd population.
This is the first year the government has asked for wolf skulls instead of carcasses. It says the skull provides valuable information about the age, gender and health of the animal.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-24-2014, 08:33 AM
CBC north is a lot more centered than the regular leftist CBC.
Few other interesting stories on there especially the article about the polar bear #'s and hunt.

SSS

IronNoggin
01-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Not much of an "added incentive" actually...
North of Sixty wolves have always fetched very good prices at market. Through the period I lived there, they ranged from 3 to 5 hundred per. Today, the average remains above $ 400, with exceptional hides running over $ 800. I was once offered $ 1200 for an extra large and very full Arctic White, but chose the rug mount over the coin. Happy i did, as he still has a special place on the wall of my dungeon... :wink:

Noble sentiment on the part of the gov up there, and for a scraggly "townie" that might appeal to some (as per the article Stresd mentioned). But the Real Trappers will continue to do their time honored job, and sell directly to the buyers that are lined up to latch onto them...

Cheers,
Nog