PDA

View Full Version : Attempted deer poaching in Maple Ridge

JPW
01-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Anybody else see this?: Deer shot with arrow in Metro Vancouver neighbourhood (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/deer-shot-with-arrow-in-metro-vancouver-neighbourhood-1.2507388)

Scum like this are the perfect fuel for the anti fire

Whonnock Boy
01-23-2014, 11:37 PM
Yeah, it's been around for a while. I am thinking it's the same buck that was running around in October with an arrow in it. Looks like that wound is fairly old.

mungojeerie
01-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Yup... wound looks old... and it doesnt look like a crossbow bolt... looks like its from a long bow... prob a cheap practice arrow with a field tip... I would be more suspicious of some idiot or dumb kid... but us hunters will take the blame and likely it will contribute to the push to close bow only areas

B-rad
01-23-2014, 11:47 PM
Soo true mungo,,seems like we always have some kind of battle to fight as outdoorsman

Mathil
01-23-2014, 11:59 PM
In the comment section there was someone who said "Anyone who would hunt a deer with a bow and arrow is a particular kind of nutjob. Deer are vegetarians who harm no one. Anyone with guts who wants to hunt should go after killers like Grizzlies and see how much they really have in the way of guts. "

I tell you, my head spun so fast I didn't know what hit me. Here I was, constantly being told that grizzlies are poor defenceless animals and we should only hunt deer for meat, when some guy comes and blows my mind with his knowledge!

mungojeerie
01-24-2014, 12:02 AM
Soo true mungo,,seems like we always have some kind of battle to fight as outdoorsman

Yup... just had that argument today with someone at work... they said they find it unfathomable that people are allowed to hunt from some of the dikes because those dikes are meant for people wanting to walk because there are paths and benches, and that it's not safe because some people just aren't responsible enough to be shooting guns.

I said yup your right.. unfortunately some people arent responsible and shouldnt be behind a gun... just like other irresponsible people shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car... but you drive beside them everyday, it's not different, in fact the odds of being in a car accident far out weigh the chances of being accidentally shot by a hunter.

Dikes are multi use, and some allow hunting, if you choose to walk there then you must accept even if you dont personally agree with it, you must accept that the hunter has as much right to be there as the person walking, or riding their bike, just like you have to accept that the dog walker has just as much right to be there, even though some dog owners aren't responsible and allow their dog to be off leash even when it might be aggressive or that some don't pick up after their dog when it takes a massive dump in the middle of the path.

fishingguy44
01-24-2014, 12:06 AM
Its unfortunate, it does look like an old wound. this deer may have been an attempt at hunting one legally in season and then came into town for safety and ease of food.

mungojeerie
01-24-2014, 12:07 AM
In the comment section there was someone who said "Anyone who would hunt a deer with a bow and arrow is a particular kind of nutjob. Deer are vegetarians who harm no one. Anyone with guts who wants to hunt should go after killers like Grizzlies and see how much they really have in the way of guts. "

I tell you, my head spun so fast I didn't know what hit me. Here I was, constantly being told that grizzlies are poor defenceless animals and we should only hunt deer for meat, when some guy comes and blows my mind with his knowledge!

And look.... your still wrong! Your supposed to buy your meat in the grocery store like all other civilized people do, where no animals are harmed right?

Steven makes a good point in this video...
http://youtu.be/J2N0Utg7KYE

B-rad
01-24-2014, 12:13 AM
Very well coulda been,,,,deer might a took the hit back in late oct or nov,and dropped down for its winter range,,,I'm a hunter not a butcher,,,and really is sad to see that

Whonnock Boy
01-24-2014, 12:33 AM
Just an FYI. The area that this deer resides in is known for hunting within town limits. I will add that I am not certain that hunting in this area with bow and arrow is illegal, in fact I believe it is legal.

B-rad
01-24-2014, 01:05 AM
Oh ok,whonnock,,not sure on area personally

Onesock
01-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Looks like it is from a Longbow????????WTF man you are good!

sawmill
01-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Looks like it is from a Longbow????????WTF man you are good!

I think it`s a long bow arrow as well.Too long for a bolt.

greybark
01-24-2014, 10:26 AM
I think it`s a long bow arrow as well.Too long for a bolt.

All arrows are longer than a bolt , your assumptions of a longbow arrow are based on what ?
I notice it is a rather small dia carbon arrow with a common nock which indicates this is an arrow but does not in any way dictate which type of bow was used . Just saying that pointing the blame is not right without facts .
Cheers

Wentrot
01-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Does it really f'ing matter?

greybark
01-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Yes I shoot a Longbow ..... and hate this sort of thng ....
Cheers

fishingguy44
01-24-2014, 11:43 AM
What does it matter what kind of bow shot it. The unfortunate thing is I think we are going to see a lot more of this thing with the BC gov hoping more people will try hunting by removing the need to take the CORE. Sure you have to be with a hunter but we all get buck fever and if a newbie isn't trained on vitals and tracking then there could be a lot more un trackable deer that may wander into towns everywhere to die infront of little Cindy Lu under her swing set.

Barracuda
01-24-2014, 11:44 AM
deer closed on dec 15th , could well have been a legal shot on pvt property on one of the many acerages or even a nearby forest . looks old kind like the arrow is just hanging there .

Im also confused how a person thinks that an introductory hunting license is somehow circumventing the requirements of the CORE?
Direct supervision is just that .

Foxtail
01-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Greybark takes offence to it because saying its a longbow arrow is like saying "that hole in that rams horn is from a 30-30 winchester. There are many different kinds of bows. A longbow is a type of traditional bow. It would seem you are right in saying it is not a crossbow bolt but that is all. It is most likely a fixed head broad head, if it was just a field point it should have fallen right out. The deer doesn't seem to be too worse for wear. Still looks pretty fit and healthy. It will survive unless another predator takes it out.

redthorn
01-25-2014, 09:36 AM
I think the OP meant "Longbow" as defined by the hunting regs. Meaning it could have been launched by a Compund, Recurve, or Longbow. The shaft length looks like a "longbow" arrow, and although you can't clearly see the nock style, the nock is definitely too long for a crossbow.

Either way, too bad about that one running around like that. Looks to have been in there a while with the all the hair licked off around the wound. Maybe hit the back bone on a long shot without enough force to shatter the spine? I would agree it looks like it must have a hunting head on there , or else it should fall out easily.

Local boy
01-29-2014, 06:02 PM
It's illegal to hunt for anything if it's private property. The deer was shot near or on my property. The photo was taken on my property . I have found evidence of bow hunting on my property from arrows to tree stands . You guys can go ahead and call us the do-gooders but if it's out of season , private property and it's illegal it's wrong . Large urban land owners are now on high alert. Myself I have a shotgun with number three duck shot .

luckofthedraw
01-29-2014, 06:10 PM
welcome to the site. Nice first post, usually we go with a joke but this works too. :???:

Knute
01-29-2014, 06:20 PM
It's illegal to hunt for anything if it's private property. The deer was shot near or on my property. The photo was taken on my property . I have found evidence of bow hunting on my property from arrows to tree stands . You guys can go ahead and call us the do-gooders but if it's out of season , private property and it's illegal it's wrong . Large urban land owners are now on high alert. Myself I have a shotgun with number three duck shot .

Nice measured response.

Or was that a threat?

Who called you or anyone else a dogooder? And I think most of us know it was wrong, but thanks for jumping in with both feet, or was that with your foot in your mouth?

The Hermit
01-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Local boy. Very sorry to hear that you are having problems with poachers. You are correct that in season or out of season anyone "hunting" on your property without your express permission is doing so illegally = poaching. Just wondering if you have posted No Hunting and or No Trespassing signs on your property? Not that it matters as legit hunters will know whether they are on public or private lands but it might help inform and deter those too lazy to know for sure. It must be a giant pain in the ass and I'd support you six ways to Sun to try and identify and report these assholes. You might consider approaching the Fish and Game Club in your area to assist with the loan of game cameras and having their members keep their eyes open for anyone crossing your property lines too.

I think what people above are saying is that there may not be a by-law in your area forbidding hunting and the discharge of firearms and or bows. For example, I have permission on some private property that is within the town limits and there are no by=laws restricting hunting or the discharge of bows so it is perfectly legal during hunting season.

Cheers,

Bill Tozer
President of the United Bowhunters of BC

Fred1
01-29-2014, 06:31 PM

That is great!!

Fred1
01-29-2014, 06:39 PM
"Local boy. Very sorry to hear that you are having problems with poachers. You are correct that in season or out of season anyone "hunting" on your property without your express permission is doing so illegally = poaching. Just wondering if you have posted No Hunting and or No Trespassing signs on your property? Not that it matters as legit hunters will know whether they are on public or private lands but it might help inform and deter those too lazy to know for sure. It must be a giant pain in the ass and I'd support you six ways to Sun to try and identify and report these assholes. You might consider approaching the Fish and Game Club in your area to assist with the loan of game cameras and having their members keep their eyes open for anyone crossing your property lines too. "

This is a good idea. I m sure there are some people at your local Fish and Game Club that would really like to help! Game cameras are great weapons! Good luck!!

Ringo 7MM
01-29-2014, 07:00 PM

That's nice, I have a shotgun with triple odd buck. Have a nice day.

kilometers
01-29-2014, 07:15 PM
That's nice, I have a shotgun with triple odd buck. Have a nice day.

Are u saying u don't care about private property rules? Sounds pretty arrogant to me.
Maybe his kids tree fort is back their or his daughter goes jogging with the dog on His property, it's his land and people should respect that.

Barracuda
01-29-2014, 07:15 PM

if you live on 227 and Abernathy your bound to see animal traffic and your house backs on to greenbelt and trail system not to mention over to acreages ,farms and even nurseries that is private property which you can hunt on if you own it, reside on it or have permission not to mention is all connected to a massive trail network which animal travel then how can you make the claim the animal was hunted where it was not allowed to be hunted and secondly if the animal is alive it means it can travel and it probably travelled there just like the ones without arrows in them.

if you have in fact found tree stand and arrows from bow hunters somewhere on your property did you report them? why hasn't this been reported in the news ?

brian
01-29-2014, 07:18 PM
It's illegal to hunt for anything if it's private property. The deer was shot near or on my property. The photo was taken on my property . I have found evidence of bow hunting on my property from arrows to tree stands . You guys can go ahead and call us the do-gooders but if it's out of season , private property and it's illegal it's wrong . Large urban land owners are now on high alert. Myself I have a shotgun with number three duck shot

If you're looking for a fight, you've come to the wrong place. Most of us think poachers should be strung up by their testicles while being forced to sing the national anthem in falsetto. You are completely right, hunting private property without permission is illegal and wrong. As for do-gooder, don't know where you read that... I just read 3 pages of hypothesis by people without any information and a small scale bow argument, which is pretty much standard fare for this site. Oh and I have a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot, its a pretty groovy JC Higgins model 20 that I chopped the barrel down to 19 1/2 inches and made a new buttstock and fore end out of cherry. I use it for hunting the island shot and bow only zones.

Ringo 7MM
01-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Are u saying u don't care about private property rules? Sounds pretty arrogant to me.
Maybe his kids tree fort is back their or his daughter goes jogging with the dog on His property, it's his land and people should respect that.

Read what he wrote at the end, I was simply making a funny come back to what he said about having a shotgun, pull your head out of your A$$.

Papa Sasquatch
01-29-2014, 07:27 PM
My concern would be for the next few days.
A wounded and infected deer will attract carnivores, it is the way of nature!

Is it legal to hunt on your private property?
Protecting your crops or Maybe that deer is a zombie!
Either way it is upsetting but oh, time to move on: OMG Justin Bieber is on TV

Ringo 7MM
01-29-2014, 07:35 PM
If you're looking for a fight, you've come to the wrong place. Most of us think poachers should be strung up by their testicles while being forced to sing the national anthem in falsetto. You are completely right, hunting private property without permission is illegal and wrong. As for do-gooder, don't know where you read that... I just read 3 pages of hypothesis by people without any information and a small scale bow argument, which is pretty much standard fare for this site. Oh and I have a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot, its a pretty groovy JC Higgins model 20 that I chopped the barrel down to 19 1/2 inches and made a new buttstock and fore end out of cherry. I use it for hunting the island shot and bow only zones.

Who are you referring too with this post?

brian
01-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Who are you referring too with this post?
The person I quoted.

kilometers
01-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Read what he wrote at the end, I was simply making a funny come back to what he said about having a shotgun, pull your head out of your A$$.

Ok my head is know where near my ass all I read was someone posting for their first time on hbc and then getting slammed by the next couple posters. Welcome to hbc. Hard to desiver if someone is bs or not especially if your new to hbc

Ringo 7MM
01-29-2014, 09:40 PM
The person I quoted.

Looks like your the one looking for a fight.

sallovesbeer
01-29-2014, 10:06 PM
This post has officially gone past being ridiculous.

Ringo 7MM
01-29-2014, 10:10 PM
This post has officially gone past being ridiculous.

I AGREE with you!

mungojeerie
01-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Yessss... by longbow I meant a bow other than a crossbow, find it hard to believe that that caused such a ruckus!

The point here is that there is some poor creature running around with an arrow stuck in it and that despite there being only speculation "hunters" as a group are getting slammed in the local news for it.

There is no evidence that it was shot illegally, no proof of date or location or person etc. I wouldnt be surprised if it wasn't a hunter or even a poacher... some idiot who saw a deer and decided to see what happens when he shoots his arrow at it. But that being said it very well could have been a poacher on private land, out of season etc.

The whole situation just gives the the general public a uneducated opinion... thats the way the media tends to work right?

olympia
01-30-2014, 03:18 AM
so what do the rest of you guys have for shotguns? lol I have a maverick 88, it fires slugs and different size shot

brian
01-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Looks like your the one looking for a fight.

What? Jeez... you seem a little tightly wound. I was replying to local boy, the guy I quoted. Nothing to do with you.

Ringo 7MM
01-31-2014, 12:18 AM
What? Jeez... you seem a little tightly wound. I was replying to local boy, the guy I quoted. Nothing to do with you.

Sorry about that, I thought you were referring to me, have a nice day brian.