Trapper
01-23-2014, 07:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsyuFJIBpY&feature=player_detailpage

ru rancher
01-23-2014, 07:58 PM
pretty nice

4 point
01-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Now that is one big fish for an ice fishing catch!

North49
01-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Wow! Where was that?

donnareid
01-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Do the COs or other officers taking care of lakes have to cut holes through so that the fish can breath when it is frozen? How about the food, how do they get food when it is frozen and flies and bugs cannot fall in?

ru rancher
01-23-2014, 08:31 PM
Do the COs or other officers taking care of lakes have to cut holes through so that the fish can breath when it is frozen? How about the food, how do they get food when it is frozen and flies and bugs cannot fall in?
are you seriouse right now?

300H&H
01-23-2014, 08:39 PM
I would not have believed it if I didn't see it.

donnareid
01-23-2014, 08:45 PM
are you seriouse right now?

Yes i am serious - is there nobody taking care of the lakes? Sorry I don't know much about fishing!

knighthunter
01-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Nice fish, you can get a pretty big fish thru an 8 inch hole. I never got a very good look at the lure, was it a castmaster? A long ways from being a near world record laker tho.

ru rancher
01-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Yes i am serious - is there nobody taking care of the lakes? Sorry I don't know much about fishing!
fish dont need air to breath they get there oxygen out of the water so no holes are needed in the ice. fish eat other fish an bugs that also live under the ice. to answer your question they take care of themselves

Whonnock Boy
01-23-2014, 08:51 PM
The look on the old mans face is priceless.

goatdancer
01-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Most fish feed lives in the lake, not flying around in the sky. There is oxygen in the water. Unless the water is very shallow, the fish have enough to breath thru the winter.

albravo2
01-23-2014, 08:59 PM
ru rancher-- perfect answer.

i was wrestling with what to say.

coach
01-23-2014, 09:15 PM

An excellent question! :-D

Pioneerman
01-23-2014, 09:20 PM
I have read where it is possible for some lakes to have what they called winter kill. It said that is too much snow covering lake and not allowing any light to penetrate many fish can die, not sure if it was because the algae took over or if it was because micro organisms do not flourish and food source is depleted. I am sure someone else here would know more about that than I do

PS: Amazing fish !!

huntcoop
01-23-2014, 09:22 PM
An excellent question! :-D

Indeed, I believe the CO's are out once a week creating breathing holes. Why wouldn't they be, they've got nothing else to do.

MB_Boy
01-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Indeed, I believe the CO's are out once a week creating breathing holes. Why wouldn't they be, they've got nothing else to do.

Cooooooop!!! They also have to dig trails in the snow for animals to move through when it's too deep!

You really don't get what they do!!

huntcoop
01-23-2014, 09:42 PM
I live on the Island, what is snow?

MB_Boy
01-23-2014, 09:44 PM
I live on the Island, what is snow?

Sorry....the CO's over there set up easy-up tents so the animals can stay dry and have somewhere to socialize out of the elements.

Rattler
01-23-2014, 09:46 PM
That was awesome!

coach
01-23-2014, 09:50 PM

They used to do it with snowmobiles and hand driven ice augers. Now they use helicopters to drop boulders onto the ice to break it up. Technology is awesome!

Mikey Rafiki
01-23-2014, 09:53 PM

Fish in lakes have survived for thousands of years without the CO's. They are quite self sufficient. We had a lake around here with a solar powered aerator to help oxygenate the water but that's because they like to stock any decent sized mud puddle.

Wild one
01-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Winter kill only happens in shallow lake and it is from lack of oxygen. Most of the time some fish still survive but it will really drop the population. There is plenty of food in the water and most fish are cannibals. Fish can go along time without food I am talking months not days but it does stunt their growth.

Species that live in areas with freeze up have evolved to deal with these conditions. It is usually when man decides to put fish in a lake where the conditions are not suitable when you get winter kill or increase the numbers to a level that is too high for the winter oxygen levels.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-24-2014, 08:46 AM

Here's some reading on oxygen cycles in lakes. Skip thru the scientific stuff if you want.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wat/wq/BCguidelines/do/do-02.htm

markt308
01-24-2014, 09:06 AM
thanks for posting! that was fun to watch. could feel the excitement!

Big7
01-24-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm glad I don't ask questions about things on this site.....the arm chair experts with their smart a*^ remarks never cease to amaze me.

Nice laker.

Blair
01-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Sorry I don't know much about fishing!

No shit! Really?

01-24-2014, 12:48 PM
They used to do it with snowmobiles and hand driven ice augers. Now they use helicopters to drop boulders onto the ice to break it up. Technology is awesome!

That would be a very fun job! Where do I apply?

chris
01-24-2014, 12:51 PM
it is a nice fish but as far as lakers are concerned its not huge. When they titled it near world record they probably should have looked into it first. I believe the record is actually over 70lbs.

Ringo 7MM
01-24-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm glad I don't ask questions about things on this site.....the arm chair experts with their smart a*^ remarks never cease to amaze me.

Nice laker.

Who has more fun than people? We do.

Ringo 7MM
01-24-2014, 01:02 PM

I think it is time you start watching fishing shows, it will definitely save you from a beating on this site.

Ringo 7MM
01-24-2014, 01:08 PM
it is a nice fish but as far as lakers are concerned its not huge. When they titled it near world record they probably should have looked into it first. I believe the record is actually over 70lbs.

World record Lake Trout was caught in Great Bear Lake, NWT, it weighed 77 lbs.

sniper ren
01-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Haha that was cool! Love how pumped the father and son where! That's what fishing is all about!

markomoose
01-24-2014, 06:05 PM
That one belongs on the father appreciation thread!!My old man used to out fish me all the time!Now I-m doing the same thing to my 19 Yo Son.

Steeleco
01-24-2014, 06:19 PM

Nice laker.

No such thing as a stupid question, but stupid answers around here, there's no shortage. Perhaps it could have been worded better, but!! As to the fish, it's bigger than the rod used to land it. Nice job!

Kudu
01-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Awesome fish - I'm always amazed at the size fish they catch with those tiny rods.

Rackem
01-29-2014, 02:49 PM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by donnareid http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1451926#post1451926)

Hey Donna, do you come from a warm country where lakes don't freeze over? I know that my relatives in Scotland have a lot of funny questions about the way we do things here. It blows their mind that I can drive for 16 hours in one day to get to a hunting destination, as you can drive across Scotland in 3 hours. Most never leave their home village.

So to answer your question, deep lakes never freeze to the bottom. The oxygen gets trapped under the ice. Fish breathe the oxygen that is in the water, and bugs and smaller fish live in the water year round. Big fish eat small fish and whatever bugs are around in the water. Some fish nibble water weeds. But some also have a slowed metabolic rate in the winter, so they eat a lot less and don't move around a lot.

In BC, many small lakes, or pothole lakes have been stocked with game fish like Brook Trout or Rainbow Trout. These lakes are small and shallow, so there is the danger of oxygen depletion. Normally fish would not survive in these small bodies of water. but to protect the investment in stocking these lakes, an aerator or "bubbler" is installed in the lake to keep the oxygen levels high enough to ensure fish survival. The fish never need to be fed.

Even koi or goldfish survive in small ponds if you have an aerator, and they do go into a lowered metabolic rate, or hibernation state. But when the ice is off in the spring, there they are, as good as new!

As for "near" world record Lake trout, well it has a way to go...Wikipedia---"Lake trout are the largest of the charrs; the record weighed almost 46.3 kilograms (102 lb) (netted) with a length of 50 inches (127 cm), and 15– to 40-pound fish are not uncommon. The average length is 24-36 inches (61-92 cm). The largest caught on a rod and reel according to the IGFA was 72 pounds (33 kg), caught in Great Bear Lake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Bear_Lake) in 1995 with a length of 59 inches

http://fishbluemesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DSCN0236.jpg...........

skibum
01-29-2014, 03:25 PM
donnareid: I get the image of a really fat guy sitting greasy, cigarette burnt chair trolling - or maybe a dorky teenager troll.

Not sure, but still kind of funny

Rackem
01-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Making assumptions about someone is a dangerous game skibum. As my dad used to say, it can make a Ass out of U and ME...

When someone is genuinely trying to learn a new culture, new language, new to hunting and fishing, they don't need to be taunted and made fun of. We need to mentor newbies, show them kindness, and educate and encourage them. Show them that BC hunters are great people.

winchester284
01-29-2014, 07:01 PM
Making assumptions about someone is a dangerous game skibum. As my dad used to say, it can make a Ass out of U and ME...

When someone is genuinely trying to learn a new culture, new language, new to hunting and fishing, they don't need to be taunted and made fun of. We need to mentor newbies, show them kindness, and educate and encourage them. Show them that BC hunters are great people.

Great post! Seems that skibum isn't the only one that could use this advice!

Ringo 7MM
01-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Great post! Seems that skibum isn't the only one that could use this advice!

So, someone tell me where donnareid has gone, she has not been on here for quit some time now, was she Jelvis or duallie?

Gateholio
01-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Maybe she got tired of being heckled by a bunch of assholes for asking a honest question?

Some of you need to take your heads out pf your respective asses. Did it ever cross your minds that maybe donnareid doesn't know much about fish and maybe doesn't speak english as well as some of us?