PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve Bison2013

Bou2006
01-23-2014, 12:37 AM
As this is my first real post I will fulfill my joke requirements. It is a little corny but it seems fitting as it was the first thing our 5 year old son said to us when we returned home from our hunt.

“What did the daddy bison say to his son when the boy bison went away to college….Bye son”

The story truly starts at the time I was filling out LEH applications for my wife and I. I had completed all the cards for the usual species, moose, elk, goat, deer, sheep and bison (for myself). I had one LEH card left and thought.......I’d love for her to experience a bison hunt. As I was looking at the draws, thinking teachers get a couple weeks off over Christmas so that seems like the perfect time to apply and besides it’s her first time putting in there is no way she will get drawn. So the card got filled out and sent in.

Fast forward to the draw results being posted online. I text her from work asking her if she had checked her draw status. I get a reply of just “yes”. I reply back and??????..... Finally all I see flash up is “Bison”. Then the wheels start turning, how are we going to make this work, she isn’t finished teaching until the 20th and that doesn’t leave us enough time before Christmas. So maybe we leave the puddle on the 27th which would give us 4 full days of hunting. The only hang up was that our boy’s birthday is on the 27th. He would be turning five. So over the next few months there were many conversations over the timing of the hunt. Not once did she waiver. She had her mind set on experiencing the northern Rockies in the dead of winter (or proving everyone wrong who said she couldn’t or wouldn’t do it). So while other couples were planning winter getaways to warm tropical places, we were booking accommodations in Pink Mtn where the temperatures could easily be in the -30’s or even -40’s.

The offers did come pouring in....”if you need someone to go with you I’m in” or “I’d love to tag along on a hunt like that”. The decision was easy for me as a great friend had asked me to accompany him on a late January hunt two years previous. I wanted to give him the first opportunity to join us on this epic adventure. Being Christmas time and having a young family, I was more than willing to accept a thanks but no thanks response. This would have been more than acceptable. But the old Potlicker pulled through and with the support of his wife, was committed to head north with us from the day we asked him.

So on boxing day, after a quick trip to Kelowna to celebrate Christmas with both of our families, we said goodbye to the kids(they stayed with grandparents and would probably hardly know we were gone) and made our way back to the Cariboo to put the last few things together for the trip. On the morning of December 27th, with our boy celebrating his 5th birthday in Kelowna, we loaded up the final gear and began the trip north. After 13.5hrs of travelling on less than ideal roads, we pulled into our destination, the Pink Mtn Ranch. We checked in, found our cabin, got the fire going, unloaded gear and got settled in. After a quick night cap/good luck drink we hit the hay with visions of Bison dancing in our heads. We were all quite tired from the long drive but for me it was a restless sleep in anticipation of what tomorrow might bring.

The first day brought clear blue skies and a high level of anticipation. A small skiff of snow and fallen overnight making conditions perfect. But by the end of day one we had seen one track which we estimated to be at least a day old. Day two was fairly uneventful, other than a partial swim by our hunting companion in Two Bit Creek as we tried to determine if it was safe to cross. We decided it wasn’t worth it and headed back up the Halfway Valley for the evening hunt. By the end of day three the high level of anticipation that had embraced us on day one subsided considerably. As we left the cabin on the 31st of December the skies were clear and 1-2 inches of fresh snow blanketed the trail. However, in the fresh snow were fresh wolf tracks....for approximately 15km. These tracks did not help the morale of the group. Then as we crested a rise in the trail there was something out of place that wasn’t there the previous 3 days. At first I wasn’t sure what I was looking at. Either these wolves had taken something down on or near the trail, or the bison were trying to fertilize the trail. The snowmobile hadn’t even come to a stop as I jumped off to check the “freshness” of the evidence. The first pile was not frozen and as I looked around steam rose from a couple of the other piles. As I looked back down the trail to “Potlicker” he raised his hand in an excited fist pump. We had stumbled upon the perfect situation in which we had travelled so far for. As Melinda and I peeled off our outer “noisy” layer, our tracker determined which way the animals were moving.

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r667/mylesandmelinda/bison%2013/cLittleBisonSign_zps63bcfb39.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/mylesandmelinda/media/bison%2013/cLittleBisonSign_zps63bcfb39.jpg.html)

Bou2006
01-23-2014, 12:45 AM
As we started into the thick timber, the visuals were not great as we could only see 20-60 yards in any direction. We crept along slowly, every few steps stopping to scan the timber for a patch of hair, a flick of a tail, anything. In the deep (2 feet) snow it was hard to tell which direction these massive animals were traveling. As they were casually feeding there were tracks everywhere. As I knew they couldn’t be far we crept along, constantly checking the wind which was perfect. Given the freshness of the sign I kept expecting to see our quarry over every rise, around every bush. After what seemed like forever we spotted just a small patch of hair in a clump of trees. Although the animal was standing broadside to us at about 60 yards the shot was obscured by a few trees and bushes. From the reading and research that we had done we knew that only the perfect shot would suffice. I set up the shooting sticks and Melinda settled in. I watched intently for the bison to take a step or two forward which would have given an opportunity for a shot and then it turned and started walking straight away. In fear of spooking them we decided to stay downwind and flank them. We made it about 40 or 50 yards and as we crested a small rise I couldn't believe what was before us. There, at anywhere from 40 to 70 yards was the entire herd. I am guessing that there were at least 10 or 12 animals, maybe more. Having been on one previous successful bison hunt I realized that a herd at this time of the year would more than likely consist of cows and calves. Once the initial excitement wore off it was down to business in trying to identify which animal to harvest. There were a couple of obvious cow calf pairs which weeded those animals out in a hurry. After a little repositioning and sizing up of the animals we could see, I had Melinda settle in on a young cow which not only was broadside to us but provided a clear shot at the ever crucial vital zone. I set up the shooting sticks and Melinda settled in. I was more than confident in her making this near perfect opportunity and told her to take the 40 yard shot as long as she was confident and comfortable. As I was waiting for the report of the rifle, she whispered to me...."there is one coming right at us"!!!! I slowly turned to the left to see a bison feeding towards us. As it was in some thick brush and facing us it did not present a shot and I was concerned that if it got any closer it might spook the entire herd. I relayed this thought to the shooter who quickly refocused her attention on the original target and said "once the one behind it clears I am going to take the shot". I watched with anticipation as the second bison cleared the "zone". As the bark of the 300 win magnum broke the silence of the cold crisp morning air, the bison "hunched" up in the classic lung shot reaction. As the rest of the herd stampeded uphill, the fatally wounded animal stayed on level ground and thankfully separated itself from the herd. It ran maybe 30 yards into a thick stand of Lodgepole pine and stopped. With no clear shot we held tight. It walked a little further with no signs of being hit. I was more than confident that Melinda had made a fatal lung shot but did not want to have to track this magnificent animal any farther than we had to. After a short game of cat and mouse, a narrow window of opportunity presented itself for a second shot. As the second shot rang out the bison collapsed in its tracks. As we cautiously approached the downed animal a unique feeling came over me as I not only felt privileged to witness the unique experience of a second person harvesting their first bison, but to witness my wife remain calm, cool and collected and take her first big game animal....a bison! It was pretty special to say the least. Once our hunting companion reached us there was another round of high fives, hugs, congrats and thank-you’s to the beautiful valley and animal that provided a freezer full of meat for our two young families. Then it was down to work. A fire was built, a trail traversed in with the skidoo’s and the field dressing of the animal began. With a little minor chainsaw work we were able to get a skidoo and skimmer right to the animal. The first shot rang out at approximately 10:15am and by 4:30pm we had it skinned, processed and back to camp. Between getting some grub in us, packing up for the trip home and making a few excited phone calls, a couple of New Year’s Eve drinks were had. It was a very unique New Years that I am sure none of us will forget. The hide was in fantastic shape so it accompanied us home and will hopefully adorn a basement wall or couch to help preserve this truly unique experience and memory.

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r667/mylesandmelinda/bison%2013/dMugsbison5_zpsb4ee78cb.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/mylesandmelinda/media/bison%2013/dMugsbison5_zpsb4ee78cb.jpg.html)

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r667/mylesandmelinda/bison%2013/lTeamBison12013_zpsa09a55fa.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/mylesandmelinda/media/bison%2013/lTeamBison12013_zpsa09a55fa.jpg.html)

bridger
01-23-2014, 05:47 AM
Unique experience. Congrats to your wife and you thanks for sharing !

pronghorn
01-23-2014, 06:00 AM
Congratulations that's awesome, great hunt...

winchester284
01-23-2014, 06:02 AM
Great story telling! Congrats.

shallowH2O
01-23-2014, 06:06 AM
Was good to meet you that night when you got in. Congrats once again

Bou2006
01-23-2014, 07:35 AM
Great to meet you guys as well shallowH20. It's always nice to share a successful trip with others. how did you guys make out? Sorry we didn't pop over for a celebratory that night. Next time!

BiG Boar
01-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Great story and post. Thanks for posting it up. Congrats to the missus. I don't know how eagar my wife would be to do it.

XPEIer
01-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Great story guys, I had heard through the grapevine that Melinda had taken one. I am certain we will hear the full story around the Mooney fire pit some time.

Blainer
01-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Great share
Congratulations!

treehugger
01-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Great story and photos! Thanks for sharing and congrats to the wife... hopefully you get your chance soon!

Hammerhead
01-23-2014, 08:21 AM
What a great New Years to remember. Great story and congrats to your wife. Well done
HH

white moose
01-23-2014, 08:24 AM
Congrats and great looking hide. Haven't got the draw yet, but I keep trying.

MacMtnHunter
01-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Great write-up Myles! Congrats... you guys are crazy!

nature girl
01-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Wow your wife shot a bison. You must of been very excited. Lots of food now in the freezer.

Bear Chaser
01-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Awesome. Congratulations.

canishunter22-250
01-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Good job on the bison! They were few and far between this year compared to what it's normally like. Myself and my family were up the Halfway within that same time frame this Christmas and we were having a heck of a time finding anything. We saw lots of elk, moose, and even a half a dozen caribou. We finally did find a loner monster bull. Although we were hoping to come out with a tasty 3 year old bull, after 4 days of shivering in a wall tent at -28, we decided to take what we could get.

Rattler
01-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Great story and pics, congrats !

scottwh
01-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Awesome story!!! Congrats to your wife on a beauty buffalo :)

kennyj
01-24-2014, 06:45 AM
Congratulations to your wife on her first big game animal. Nothing like starting at the top. Awesome bison and great story. Thanks for sharing your new years adventure.
kenny

hunter1947
01-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Nice to see your wife get this bison nice story and pictures congrats to all of you on this hunt..

One Shot
01-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Great hunting and a great story.........An experience to last a life time. Thank you for sharing.

srupp
01-24-2014, 11:15 AM
excellent all the way round....great story...wonderful adventure..thanks for sharing your success..

appreciate it

steven