PDA

View Full Version : Off to mexico (Akumal)

white moose
01-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Heading down on Friday. We are going for 10 days and planning on going over to Cozumel for a day trip. Any members been over there? We are meeting some friends and want to rent a jeep for a day. My wife calls this trip a working out of town tax.:-D

skid
01-22-2014, 07:52 AM
I've been to Cozumel a few years back, waters nice and had good beaches

Blainer
01-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Negotiate a day rate with a taxi driver in Cozumel.
He can act like a guide and show you some old ruin sites, secluded beaches.
Magnificent snorkeling
Glass bottom boats to rent everywhere.
Enjoy Tulum on the mainland, as you are very close.
If you get an opportunity to visit a Mayan village, be sure to take soaps, shampoo, toothpastes and candy from your resort.
They are extremely under privileged.
Have fun!

Deeboe
01-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Cozumel is great. When you get off the catamaran, there will be a lineup of guys trying to rent you jeeps and scooters. The first ones there are the most expensive... keep walking to the end of the line-you should be able to rent a jeep for the day for about 40 dollars. We rented 100cc scooters for 20 bucks for the day. They were great because you could easily navigate traffic to return them on time. We drove around the whole island and stopped at most beaches and bars. The prawn platters are awesome... have a great trip!

randymac
01-22-2014, 12:43 PM
can be pretty good snorkleing right in Akumal to- half moon bay I think its called. seen turtles and large schools of many different kinds of fish

spongebob
01-22-2014, 01:07 PM
For sure snorkel in Akumal, and also Cozumel. Go to the South point (it's a park with a lighthouse..can't remember name) and swim off shore a ways (200 yards) great reef along there. Also a crocodile park on the road just before you get there. Other than that and the small tequila plant, Cozumel is typical Mexico. Great scenery and your typical stores etc.

albravo2
01-22-2014, 01:22 PM
I lived in Cancun for a while a long time ago. I still know the area a bit.

Chichen Itaza is worth the trip. So is Cenote Azul, a huge underground cavern where you can swim. A bit further north is Xcaret. It was very cool 15 years ago, hope it still is.

If you get the chance, Merida is a cool Mexican town a few hours inland. Much more authentic than the coastal area.

donnareid
01-22-2014, 01:43 PM
are you going to hunt there too? have fun whatever you do!

finngun
01-22-2014, 01:55 PM
are you going to hunt there too? have fun whatever you do!

no he is not...he has wife with him....keeping the balance:mrgreen:....enjoy you trip cheers fg:-D

Philcott
01-22-2014, 02:28 PM
I lived in Cancun for a while a long time ago. I still know the area a bit.

Chichen Itaza is worth the trip. So is Cenote Azul, a huge underground cavern where you can swim. A bit further north is Xcaret. It was very cool 15 years ago, hope it still is.

If you get the chance, Merida is a cool Mexican town a few hours inland. Much more authentic than the coastal area.

Xcaret was great two years ago. Spent a wonderful day there.

Tulum is a cool little town to check out as well. Nice ruins there too.

steel_ram
01-22-2014, 04:38 PM
Xcaret was cool last year, not cheap though. Did a snorkeling with turtles(Akumal) combined with cenote excursion from our resort, with the driving etc. I think it was worth the price. Next time I will take my own snorkelling gear. I will also take my fly rod, saw a few schools of bonefish at akumal and I see that just south of Tulum is a good area. Apparently there's some flats of Cozumel as well. Wouldn't want to drive there.

mungojeerie
01-22-2014, 06:26 PM
snorkel Xal-ha!!!!

sapper
01-22-2014, 09:12 PM
We were in the Mayan Riviera last in 2010. I miss it. We'd been there close to every year for about 6 years. The last time there we found a great tour company All-Tournative and did the Coba/Mayan Trip with them. They are a great company as they actually give back to the Mayan villages that they have much of their tour in. Xel-Ha is a fun day too but shop around for the best deal as everyone wants to sell you a package and if you don't go for the first trip offered you can often get a better deal down the road. Enjoy! I'm envious.

browningboy
01-22-2014, 09:38 PM
If you like to snorkel in Cozumel then my buddy owns the blue angel resort, strictly a diving resort they will hook you up!

white moose
01-23-2014, 08:12 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I had a real busy year and we're pumped to go. Looking forward to try those prawn platters, sounds delicious. We are bringing our own snorkel gear and staying at akumal beach resort. Also picked up an underwater camera and a couple water proof flashlights, apparentley lots of people do night snorkeling there (akumal). Want to check out the crocks and lighthouse in cozumel, for sure. On a funny note, talked to a buddy last night and out of the blue he asked me if I've ever been attacked by a grizzly in cougar country while hunting beaver. I told him not since I got married. Lol.

brutus
01-23-2014, 08:21 PM
decent bonefish in cozumel

300H&H
01-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Enjoy the "topless" beaches....I sure did !