PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Wildlife

gcreek
01-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Cougar came in and killed 8 of our ewes last night. Dan Lay already was committed to another call so will be here in the morning. Hopefully kitty comes back to feed tonight.

Our latest wolf pack also showed up today. A week late but there should be some pinched toes by morning.

I'll be gone tomorrow until Tuesday. Fill you folks in then on the results.

Ranching would be easy if there was less tooth and claw involved.

coach
01-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Shitty news, Gcreek. Sounds like it's been a never ending battle for you. Have you continued to document everything with pics and videos?

gcreek
01-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Shitty news, Gcreek. Sounds like it's been a never ending battle for you. Have you continued to document everything with pics and videos?

Got lots of photos of deads and injured. Pre 2000 we had very little predator problems but the populations are way out of control. This is the first winter cougar to show at our ranch since 1996. It will likely be a young tom too stupid to follow the deer out when they head for winter ranges. Time will tell.

The last cat I beat to death with an old draper roller from a swather. My dog lived.

M.Dean
01-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Not sure if you live around Kamloops, but I seen Keven Van Dames Cougar trapping ability's, he might be worth giving a call, he's one of the CO's in Kamloops.

gcreek
01-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Not sure if you live around Kamloops, but I seen Keven Van Dames Cougar trapping ability's, he might be worth giving a call, he's one of the CO's in Kamloops.

I'm about 7 hours from Kamloops and if it was legal for a rancher to do so could catch them myself. Dan's got some young dogs that need a run. He'll be here shortly after daylight.

Ambush
01-21-2014, 10:50 PM
There may be some hope for you yet. A recent cougar study in Montana[?] showed of nine collared cougars, four were killed by wolves.

gcreek
01-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Often wondered if it was possible to imbed live landmines in cow moose. Might solve a couple of overkilling issues.

hunter1947
01-22-2014, 06:19 AM
Get a hold of the CO they will help you out on what you should do sorry for your loss..

panhead
01-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Just feed em' some lead. Ever think of renting out the trailer at MM to Dan fer a field office? Probly have to hire an understudy.
Good Luck ...

gcreek
01-29-2014, 01:57 AM
Cat was dead in 15 minutes.

s0ylentgreen
01-29-2014, 08:07 AM

what happened?
tell me more!!

LBM
01-29-2014, 02:30 PM

Still waiting to hear about the wolves at your place and the neighbours any luck at either.
Curious about the cat if it was lays you had to come run it do they have to tag it, if not
what do they do with it.
If it was someone that just disposed of it why not have someone with a tag along
so the cat would not be wasted, since the season is open or at least think there is
a open season in your area.

wicket
01-29-2014, 02:37 PM
well that was a short story but in fairness its more of a job and less of a recreational hunt i would imagine. glad you took out the offender, now move on to the wolves.

panhead
01-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Give the poor guy a break ... he's up to his ass in "teeth and claws." His ass is a fair way's off the ground too ...

Cheerleading does not turn pigshit into cavier

gcreek
01-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Lots going on right now. Will settle down in a couple weeks (or not) and catch everyone up.

Litter mate to kitty showed up a couple days ago. It hasn't made a fatal mistake yet. Live and let live........