PDA

View Full Version : Interesting moose write ups

Sitkaspruce
01-21-2014, 09:07 PM
by a well known moose expert. Too bad the two big rags in the LML could not write stuff like this.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/Where-have-all-the-moose-gone-239835201.html

and an opinion on the subject

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/analysis/uncontrolled-hunting-pushes-moose-to-limit-240434201.html

more from Mr Crichton

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/The-beauty-of-the-beast-239839251.html

Some interesting thoughts and observations.

It is a wake up call for those who do not already know, we need to get wildlife, just not moose or deer or grizz, but all wildlife back in the main picture with politicians. Write letters, ask the tough questions and best of all, get involved. The wildlife can't do it.

And lastly, please do not turn this into another bashing thread, lets see if we can keep things civil.

Cheers

SS

coach
01-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Interesting read.

MB_Boy
01-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Haha.....I was going to share those as I know one of those fellers pretty well, who is referring to my niece. :wink:

I thought they were pretty eye opening despite that fact the 'feller' in question talks to me about it all the time and have grown up around it for 40 years.

lip_ripper00
01-22-2014, 12:06 AM
Haha.....I was going to share those as I know one of those fellers pretty well, who is referring to my niece. :wink:

I thought they were pretty eye opening despite that fact the 'feller' in question talks to me about it all the time and have grown up around it for 40 years.

Interesting read, my family farmed north of Roblin, some of the stories my dad would tell, moose aplenty... this would be back 60+ years ago.

MB_Boy
01-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Interesting read, my family farmed north of Roblin, some of the stories my dad would tell, moose aplenty... this would be back 60+ years ago.

I know there are some areas in the province that are still pretty healthy but pretty much anywhere with access is hit pretty hard. My Dad spends a TON of time in the bush with his long nosed buddies even more so now in retirement and has a pretty good grip on the pulse of what is happening. It's VERY rare on the annual fly in trip to get skunked yet it happened this year; weather played a partial role but pops are definitely down.

I know in Riding Mountain National Park (south of Roblin/Duck Mountain) where he does a TON of his own filming/observation but also does a ton of work with film crews/photographers he is seeing results like noted in the article. This is an area where he could take a crew and spend a week getting amazing footage for them; exactly where the author of the first article was with him.

So many factors which seem to be common right across the west.....I know I am told about them all the time :wink:.

Sometimes I think if I was born covered in brown fur, a long nose and 4 legs my Dad would ask about me more; hahahaha. :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
01-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Vince is a great guy. Someone who I would call an 'old-schooler', because he isn't afraid to speak his mind. Unfortunately it seems we're moving farther and farther away from researchers/biologists who tell it like it is.

Surprised there wasn't more on brain worm in there.

MB_Boy
01-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Vince is a great guy. Someone who I would call an 'old-schooler', because he isn't afraid to speak his mind. Unfortunately it seems we're moving farther and farther away from researchers/biologists who tell it like it is.

Surprised there wasn't more on brain worm in there.

Haha.....yes he certainly doesn't pull punches and never has when it comes to these issues and the fact of the matter. I had the privilege of attending meetings with FN and other interest groups/game associations and have listened to a TON of his talks; he certainly calls a spade a spade and doesn't dance around the topics.

Believe me....if he started in on brain worm the article could be 25 pages! With his "push" I did a rather large science project on it in high school.

I am sure he went on about many different diseases at length including CWD; but likely edited so that they didn't have to give him a full section of the paper. :wink:

GoatGuy
01-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Haha.....yes he certainly doesn't pull punches and never has when it comes to these issues and the fact of the matter. I had the privilege of attending meetings with FN and other interest groups/game associations and have listened to a TON of his talks; he certainly calls a spade a spade and doesn't dance around the topics.

Believe me....if he started in on brain worm the article could be 25 pages! With his "push" I did a rather large science project on it in high school.

I am sure he went on about many different diseases at length including CWD; but likely edited so that they didn't have to give him a full section of the paper. :wink:

Yes, we used to have that in BC, but those days are a good 15 years behind us. I know he and Jim H. were good buddies.

The last time I saw him (2 years ago) he was on and on about wt's and brain worm. It's certainly part of the program and is something hunters should be aware of; otherwise they will summarily dismiss it because "more of everything is better"..........

MB_Boy
01-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Yup.......I have to give my Pops credit; he is VERY passionate about these types of topics and they animals they involve.

donnareid
01-22-2014, 11:40 AM
I find the articles structured such that they do not read well. I read them but not sure what message they are trying to give us ????? Is there something i did not get?

Cordillera
01-22-2014, 10:40 PM
There is a solution to the issue of growing First Nations harvest. Look at Nisga'a treaty where First Nations get a specific allocation that grows as the moose population grows, and there is a specific share for non Nisga'a. This kind of agreement could be reached elsewhere in bc if we recognized that aboriginal rights aren't going away and a negotiated solution would eventually benefit us all.

Hammerhead
01-22-2014, 11:13 PM
Good read, thanks for posting that as it was well worth reading.
HH

gerrygoat
01-23-2014, 07:25 AM
There is a solution to the issue of growing First Nations harvest. Look at Nisga'a treaty where First Nations get a specific allocation that grows as the moose population grows, and there is a specific share for non Nisga'a. This kind of agreement could be reached elsewhere in bc if we recognized that aboriginal rights aren't going away and a negotiated solution would eventually benefit us all.

Except for hunting of moose is closed for everyone else there and there is still too many moose shot there. You might be right about this being the future but it is not pretty at all.

two-feet
01-23-2014, 09:58 AM

The nisga moose situation is an example of closing the barn door after the horse is out. The entire valley was shot out and now there is a consevation concern. Maybe a lesson was learned and populations will recover and be sustained? Time will tell.

Cordillera
01-24-2014, 08:54 PM
populations are good in many other places. what if we negotiated a FN quota there now?

.300WSMImpact!
01-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Dad still lives in Roblin and has been seeing this get worse each year, grampa trapped the duck mountain for over 40 years, he has had his input logged for years as well, there is issues in that area that I really don't see how you solve them, wolves are seriously bad, but all and all I love it there and enjoy my whitetail trips, I hope to go there for the next 20 years

Darksith
01-25-2014, 07:21 AM
populations are good in many other places. what if we negotiated a FN quota there now?

The main concern I have is how do you monitor the harvest? You would ask a group that hasn't needed to report a damn thing to start reporting. Ii wonder what the % is that would report, I bbet its low. Nisga situation is a little different as they are in a valley and rather isolated, what about the white FN guys living off the res, or the out of towners. Bottom line I think If someone wanted a moose and felt it was their right as it always has been they will go get 1 and damn the quota