PDA

View Full Version : One Less WK Elk

Cheetah
01-21-2014, 05:24 PM
This pic came through my email of a bull recently killed by wolves in the West Kootenayhttp://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg597/Cheetah48/imagejpeg_2_zpsbd4c128b.jpg

Steeleco
01-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Can't be wolves, they'd never kill anything and not use it all!! Well at least they ate the best bits!! Sad but Mother Nature doing what she does best!!

604redneck
01-21-2014, 05:33 PM
I sure hope the antis push for a ban on wolves hunting ungulates......

hawk-i
01-21-2014, 05:43 PM
The anti's feel a slow and painful death by wolves is totally acceptable, it a quick humane kill by a human that they are against.

Hodaka
01-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Damn. One less for me to hunt next year.

coach
01-21-2014, 06:42 PM
I sure hope the antis push for a ban on wolves hunting ungulates......

Meanwhile.. Hunters will ask wolves to only kill elk that have the correct number of antler points..

boxhitch
01-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Clearly that was a weak unhealthy undersized bull , or else the wolves would have left it alone. Right ?

bridger
01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Clearly that was a weak unhealthy undersized bull , or else the wolves would have left it alone. Right ?

Must be true! Wolves only kill the weak and old!

gutpile
01-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Wolves have to eat to . Just saying

.300WSMImpact!
01-21-2014, 07:10 PM
I think I passed that one up in hunting season

adriaticum
01-21-2014, 07:10 PM
died of old age

WKCotts
01-21-2014, 07:56 PM
What a shame

gcreek
01-21-2014, 09:15 PM
In all the wolf kills I have found, to my non-"professional" eye, there was only one cariboo bull whose teeth were pretty well gone from old age. The other 150 or so were either calves or what appeared to be healthy adults.

norm
01-22-2014, 12:24 AM
just nature boys,relax

hunter1947
01-22-2014, 06:00 AM
Maybe hit from a truck or other ??? is the bull near a road ???? maybe was hurt during the rut when fighting got a point in a vital area ??? picture looks like the bull is a younger bull and wolves do kill animals weak and strong and wolves do leave the animal before they eat it all ,,,, did the person take the antlers ???.

Muliechaser
01-22-2014, 07:22 AM
You can bet the clothes off your back they do. Although that does look like a tired old bull that just collapsed and scavengers have taken a few bites. But that being said wehave seen quite a few half eaten wolf kills and we can see that a struggle has taken place and bite marks.

bighornbob
01-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Cant be from the West Kootenays, as I was told by the locals, the 6 point hunting season was going to kill all the 6 point bulls. Photo must be taken somewhere else:)

BHB

budismyhorse
01-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Not a wolf kill.............that's a cat kill or opportunistic salvage.

I work in the bush and have spent the better part of 20 years looking at kills in the winter range and wolves (from my experience) spread a carcass over 50 yards by the time they walk away. Packs usually pull and tear the thing apart and in a frenzy move it around in circles.

Cats on the other hand kill and eat in one place (usually the back end first) then leave.

Just another reason to bump up the cat huntin in the west koots. The local clubs are screaming for a 2 cat bag limit........

horshur
01-22-2014, 10:39 AM

I work in the bush and have spent the better part of 20 years looking at kills in the winter range and wolves (from my experience) spread a carcass over 50 yards by the time they walk away. Packs usually pull and tear the thing apart and in a frenzy move it around in circles.

Cats on the other hand kill and eat in one place (usually the back end first) then leave.

Just another reason to bump up the cat huntin in the west koots. The local clubs are screaming for a 2 cat bag limit........

cat usualy will pull gut sack out and off to the side first I doubt that is a cougar kill.

budismyhorse
01-22-2014, 10:49 AM
ya it looks more "salvaged" by coyotes than anything really..........

to your point however......a cougar (proven by tracks) killed and ate a deer in my yard (I live just outside of cranbrook) last winter and didn't touch the guts.......I was surprised by that.

Believe me because I had to clean the damn thing up before my dog and every dog in the neighborhood went to town on the remains.

horshur
01-22-2014, 10:54 AM
the other thing is they snip off the ribs

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0668-2_zps0d20aae4.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/akdana/media/IMG_0668-2_zps0d20aae4.jpg.html)

this buck had just been took over by a big black bear but you can see the snip off ribs

01-22-2014, 10:59 AM

I agree, the wolf kills I've seen have not looked like that at all.

horshur
01-22-2014, 11:03 AM
ya it looks more "salvaged" by coyotes than anything really..........

to your point however......a cougar (proven by tracks) killed and ate a deer in my yard (I live just outside of cranbrook) last winter and didn't touch the guts.......I was surprised by that.

Believe me because I had to clean the damn thing up before my dog and every dog in the neighborhood went to town on the remains.

interrupted kill or feeding is always going to look not typical as well cougar are big time scavengers the presence of tracks don't mean much...what I have seen they don't necessarily feed initaily after killing they seem to have a bit of a ritual ......I have found still warm kills not fed on but definetly were the next 12 hour or so....cat needs time and security to do that work....

budismyhorse
01-22-2014, 03:43 PM
I promise you it was a cat who killed and ate a deer in the trees behind my house.........he was later treed and killed because he tried a few bold moves at my neighbors place. Young tom.

Devils Advocate.....not being a dick........Maybe you found "still warm kills" with no cat because you scared them off?

They were probably waiting up in a tree waiting for you to scoot! Especially if they returned to feed on them later.

Cheers!

Hey Horsur..........if you don't think it was a cat, what's your take on the fate of that elk then?

horshur
01-22-2014, 04:14 PM
I promise you it was a cat who killed and ate a deer in the trees behind my house.........he was later treed and killed because he tried a few bold moves at my neighbors place. Young tom.

Devils Advocate.....not being a dick........Maybe you found "still warm kills" with no cat because you scared them off?

They were probably waiting up in a tree waiting for you to scoot! Especially if they returned to feed on them later.

Cheers!

Hey Horsur..........if you don't think it was a cat, what's your take on the fate of that elk then?

you can't know or speculate by that one picture....what I said is in my experience..and I do have a fair bit ...that does not look like a cat kill at all.

J_T
01-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Nice rack on that bull. That pic should have been posted in the male appreciation thread.

hunter1947
01-23-2014, 04:47 AM
the other thing is they snip off the ribs

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0668-2_zps0d20aae4.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/akdana/media/IMG_0668-2_zps0d20aae4.jpg.html)

this buck had just been took over by a big black bear but you can see the snip off ribs

I agree with budismyhorse I would put money on this that this kill was done from a cat...