PDA

View Full Version : Big Chief smoker

hookedonblacktails
01-21-2014, 07:57 AM
I recieved one of these for Christmas and have never used a smoker before, does anybody have any tips on using this model?

thanks for any input

BraveKnight
01-21-2014, 08:12 AM
If it is below 5 celcius either get or make an insulated blanket for it. When looking at there website there blankets look like the foil insulation used on garage doors. So I picked up a roll and made 1 from that. cost for the whole roll was 15-20 bucks and I think the blanket is 30 plus tax and shipping. really helps get the smoked food up to temperature.

BearStump
01-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Keep the box that it came in. cut off the top and bottom so you have an insulation "sleeve" to slide over it for cold days. It is hard to keep the temp up when its below zero outside.

BraveKnight
01-21-2014, 08:31 AM
I was going to use the box for an insulation sleeve myself. Got looking at a lot of forms and there have been a lot of fires caused by them. That is why I made the insulation blanket. It has a reflective coating on both sides so also helps get it really warm in the smoker as well. Did a batch of jerky and smoked salmon this past fall and got it up to 175 almost 180 F. which told me time to unplug the smoker and take my stuff out. It was done to perfection. Best recipe I found for the brine was the basic brine from the cook book that came with the big cheif but change the white sugar to brown sugar.

pescado
01-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Been a good smoker for me for years. Easy to use. As said above in the winter months research a way to insulate it. I use a mix of big and small chips.

rides bike to work
01-21-2014, 09:19 AM
For fish I like smoking on a cold day. Makes I t like a cold smoke doesn't dry it out and cook it so much

rides bike to work
01-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Soak your wood chips in water before you put them in

weatherby_man
01-21-2014, 09:36 AM
I have really enjoyed mine, like others I made a blanket for it and use it when its cold/windy out. I have made some nice products with it. I spray the entire cage with the racks and the lower catch pan with pam before using, I found it makes cleanup much easier.

huntcoop
01-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Some would say return it and upgrade to a digital Bradley.