PDA

View Full Version : Wigeon tactics

rides bike to work
01-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Well the field I have been hunting has changed from mallards to big noisy flocks of wigeon I have my mallard decoys and robo ducks but the wigeon prefer to land in a huge group about one hundred yards from the blind .

Is there different tactics for bringing in the wigeon. Do I need different decoys and calls? If so my wife is going to be pissed:)

lorneparker1
01-17-2014, 05:52 PM
move 100 yards from the blind.

Kudu
01-17-2014, 06:12 PM
move 100 yards from the blind.

Ha ha ha.....!!

Moe.JKU
01-17-2014, 06:33 PM
I have found that they have switched to widgeons as well around my field. I found switching to my whistle call to help draw them in. Its a inexpensive call.

jethro
01-17-2014, 06:56 PM
In my experience it seems widgeon respond better to calling than mallards do..or maybe I'm better at whistling to widgeon than quacking at green heads. Its hard to get a large flock to turn but singles and pairs seem to be pretty easy to call in close enough for a shot. I have called in lonely singles, shot and missed, then called the bird back and dropped him second pass

pnbrock
01-17-2014, 07:00 PM
hahaha lorne great advice!!!

edgy
01-18-2014, 08:54 AM
We find that widgeons respond really well to calling. We use the Buck Gardner 6 in 1 whistle, they are super cheap @ 5.99 but they really work for us. We find that once the birds have been spotted, lots of whistling will keep them interested and circling the spread. Of course, like you , I am still in the learning process and I'm sure that others on here with way more experience than me can provide you with more tips

Spirit's Master
01-18-2014, 10:22 AM
I've had good luck with my new Primo's High Roller (<$20). A good loud whistle and a long roll seems to bring them in from across the water, up to 1km away. And then a frequent softer Whee-hoo keeps them circling.

cwf

Foxton Gundogs
01-18-2014, 02:40 PM
I also use a high roller but my partner has one of the duck commander whistles and I'm kinda liking the sound of that. I use a doz widgeon deeks and a couple of robos late season and keep them off to the side of my mallard spread. Go where they want to be :-D