PDA

View Full Version : So, where is all the elk?

odie1830
01-17-2014, 12:14 PM
2 more sleeps and me and my hunting partner are heading up north for our cow elk draws! Super pumped. With the warmer condition we will be camping. Anyone know any good area's to camp around chetwynd?

donnareid
01-17-2014, 12:41 PM
are you not worried you will be cold when camping on snow?

russm
01-17-2014, 01:11 PM
^ lol, it may be just a little colder "up north" than it is in coquitlam, you may want to rethink your sleeping situation.

The Dawg
01-17-2014, 01:23 PM
No. It's fine. Go ahead and camp.

Youve clearly done some research.

Wentrot
01-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Hope you have a survival suit.Also, use these final couple of days and turn your brain on to do some research.

leadpillproductions
01-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Sure is warm today is +8 at 1030am

BiG Boar
01-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Sure is warm today is +8 at 1030am

ah...... the balmy peace region. Hawaii of the north they say.

Are you guys bringing a snow saw to cut blocks and build an igloo?

monasheemountainman
01-17-2014, 01:39 PM
maybe he has a wall tent....bunch of buzz killers

E.V.B.H.
01-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Ya no kidding, just because you guys are too soft for winter camping, don't assume everyone else is!

Rackem
01-17-2014, 02:05 PM
I camp out in the winter quite often, just ask SAR...lol. It IS warm right now, too damn warm..making a hella mess...

BiG Boar
01-17-2014, 02:08 PM
maybe he has a wall tent....bunch of buzz killers

It's not just the camping issue. It's also his poor grammar. Me and my hunting partner..... sheesh!
kidding. Good luck, have fun, and I hope you fill the freezer. Elk is the best!

Rackem
01-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Bring big anchors, we are supposed to have another crazy windstorm...

markt308
01-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Pay no attention to the usual grumps! it's the off-season blues kicking in. If I could offer any advice I would. Good luck up there. As for the winter camping, I love it and have done it many many times in -25 type conditions. Sounds like you may not even have to deal with temps that low, but things could change of course!

BRvalley
01-17-2014, 02:50 PM
^ lol, it may be just a little colder "up north" than it is in coquitlam, you may want to rethink your sleeping situation.

No. It's fine. Go ahead and camp.

Youve clearly done some research.

Hope you have a survival suit.Also, use these final couple of days and turn your brain on to do some research.

LOL winternet? or just need a little pantie adjustment?...

how is January camping any different than -30 camping in November??? ahahha

odie1830, you got a pm coming shortly

PS lots of wolves running around up here, I hear there is a good bounty of them, just don't post your cheque on facebook!!! LMAO

J_T
01-17-2014, 05:54 PM
We hit -30 deer hunting this year. 10 days of the best camping a bunch of guys can find. I'd rather camp than stay in a hotel.

Mathil
01-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Kifaru paratipi and small stove... Easy winter camping under 6 lbs...

Nobody would climb mountains if you couldn't camp in the wind in -30...

Bunch of pansies :p

odie1830
01-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Come on guys, a good fire does wonders for winter camping! From what i here we may be traveling around quite a bit and just makes sense to camp close to where ever we are when it gets dark. We will be sleeping in the back of my suv, i have camped out in the winter many times and as long as your sleeping bag is rated for the right temp u will be just fine! I will post when a get back!

Ringo 7MM
01-18-2014, 11:12 PM

I can see you were just born yesterday!

Ringo 7MM
01-18-2014, 11:15 PM
are you not worried you will be cold when camping on snow?

I can see you were born yesterday too!

odie1830
01-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Ahhh Ringo if i was born yesterday, how the hell did i get this LEH draw? LOL Don't worry i understand how crappy it must be not having any draws but hey look at the bright side! You can make useless comments all winter on this website.

Sofa King
01-19-2014, 01:19 AM
Come on guys, a good fire does wonders for winter camping! From what i here we may be traveling around quite a bit and just makes sense to camp close to where ever we are when it gets dark. We will be sleeping in the back of my suv, i have camped out in the winter many times and as long as your sleeping bag is rated for the right temp u will be just fine! I will post when a get back!

you'll be fine.
pay no attention to the fools.
this winter has been a mild one all over bc.
hell, Whitehorse was +10 last week, 22 degrees above the season norm.
and you're right.
I camped in the back of my 4runner deer hunting this year in the -20's no problem.

hunter1947
01-19-2014, 06:37 AM
Just go with your thoughts on what you want to do bring lots of warm clouting warm head gear warm sleeping bag a few tarps rope tent two 20 pound propane bottle a heater to put on the propane bottle so you can warm up your hands or other when you want your good to camp anywhere,,

I use my 1994 ford truck for a spike camp I have stayed and slept in the front seat when the temperatures have been -20 no problems infarct it was very comfortable sleeping in my truck I do it all the time even when I head out for shed hunts just make sure you have a toque to put on your head when sleeping especially if you have very little hair on top LOL ,,,good luck with your draw looking forward to story and pictures when you get back..

Ringo 7MM
01-19-2014, 09:41 PM
you'll be fine.
and you're right.
I camped in the back of my 4runner deer hunting this year in the -20's no problem.

Where was your 4runner parked, in your Living Room!

HarryToolips
01-19-2014, 11:00 PM
you'll be fine.
and you're right.
Yup same here... it ain't that bad if ya got a good sleepin bag and wear ur warm full face touque all night..

quaint bucket
01-20-2014, 04:41 PM
I'm pretty sure camping in your vehicle in that temperature (-20) is considered as "Not A Good Idea" but what do I know......?

Good luck up there and hope you get what you're looking for.

e: FWIW, I've done the same thing and it was ok.

E.V.B.H.
01-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Ahhh Ringo if i was born yesterday, how the hell did i get this LEH draw? LOL Don't worry i understand how crappy it must be not having any draws but hey look at the bright side! You can make useless comments all winter on this website.

I think you owe ringo an apology! Read the quotes I think he was defending you.

Caribou_lou
01-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Go up there. Camp in a wall tent. Shoot some Elk. Post a story with pics. Prove these negative keyboard killers wrong!

Ringo 7MM
01-20-2014, 06:23 PM
I think you owe ringo an apology! Read the quotes I think he was defending you.

Thank you E.V.B.H., you are exactly right, I was defending Mr. odie1830.

islander7mm
01-20-2014, 06:47 PM
This kind of negativity towards people's honest questions and posts is just the kind of thing that has dragged this forum down and contributed to alot of people just choosing not to post stuff anymore. It's just lame.

moosinaround
01-20-2014, 07:44 PM
This kind of negativity towards people's honest questions and posts is just the kind of thing that has dragged this forum down and contributed to alot of people just choosing not to post stuff anymore. It's just lame.
lame, lame, lame! Moosin

sarnold
01-20-2014, 08:00 PM
This thread is the exact reason this site has gone way down hhill the last couple years!!!
F$&kin grow up guys!!!!!

Ringo 7MM
01-20-2014, 08:19 PM
this thread is the exact reason this site has gone way down hhill the last couple years!!!
F$&kin grow up guys!!!!!

maybe you should read everything first before you add your stupid 2 cents worth!!!!!!

sarnold
01-20-2014, 10:02 PM
I read every post:)

Ringo 7MM
01-20-2014, 10:07 PM
This thread is the exact reason this site has gone way down hhill the last couple years!!!
F$&kin grow up guys!!!!!

So what is up with this post?

Caribou_lou
01-20-2014, 11:22 PM
Seems like an honest thread. The guy posts a good question. Any good spots to camp? Then a bunch of guys on here start accusing him he doesn't know what he's doing... I think this is what Srupp was referring to by his latest thread. Didn't see any negative posts in that one... Why here?

Ill be putting in for one of these tag next year. Probably be asking the same question. Just not on this site!

leadpillproductions
01-21-2014, 12:09 AM
If I get a chance in the next weekish ill go take a look for some elk for u guys , im going stur crazy.

odie1830
01-21-2014, 05:58 PM
In chetwynd area, hit a lot of areas. Camping is great, but I haven't seen any elk. Anyone seen any?

donnareid
01-21-2014, 06:01 PM
hey Jason, good luck on your hunt! and enjoy the camping!!! once you get back please share photos with us :-)

GoatGuy
01-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Probably been suggested.

Would look for crown adjacent to private in the x zone. Find tracks, find elk, shoot elk.

Alternatively, drive, find elk, knock on farmers door and hope.

stella-artois
01-21-2014, 06:21 PM
It's not just the camping issue. It's also his poor grammar. Me and my hunting partner..... sheesh!
kidding. Good luck, have fun, and I hope you fill the freezer. Elk is the best!
My hunting partner and I

hawk-i
01-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Camping in the winter isn't a problem with the proper sleeping bags....maybe stop in at the local Sporting Goods store in Chetwynd and have a chat with him as to where to look for elk at this time of the year....talked with him last fall and he's a helpful guy. Good luck on your hunt! Have you tried out towards lone prairie?

sarnold
01-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Good luck, make some great memories and enjoy yourself in the outdoors.

BearStump
01-21-2014, 08:02 PM
thats some "man shit" Odie. living outa the truck in sub zero temps. blood up to your armpits and no where to wash em off. Meh! who cares. let it freeze and the blood will flake off. crawl back in the sleeping bag with a half frozen beer in your armpit to thaw it enough for drinking. Letthe ney sayers surf the net in their cozy homes. someones gotta suck it up and kill some meat for the winter. Good luck!

islander7mm
01-21-2014, 10:17 PM
thats some "man shit" Odie. living outa the truck in sub zero temps. blood up to your armpits and no where to wash em off. Meh! who cares. let it freeze and the blood will flake off. crawl back in the sleeping bag with a half frozen beer in your armpit to thaw it enough for drinking. Letthe ney sayers surf the net in their cozy homes. someones gotta suck it up and kill some meat for the winter. Good luck!

^^ Now this is what where about around here!!
Love it Bear Stump.
Also good luck with the hunt for the OP. Hope you bag a nice elk.

coach
01-21-2014, 10:27 PM
Good luck on your hunt! Lots of talk about winter camping.. The last time I had that draw, the mercury dropped to -46 before the wind chill. We were happy to be staying in a cabin. :-D Hopefully temps stay mild for you.

Best advice is to find some ranchers who will let you hunt their property. If you are fortunate enough to get permission, it's usually a "first light / last light" show. Not much usually walking around in he fields mid day. If you aren't able to get permission, find crown land to hunt. I suspect you could bump into bedded elk during the day by doing some bush whacking. A little fresh snow makes it easy to figure out where the herds have gone.

stella-artois
03-13-2015, 11:05 AM
I just ate some toast with marmalade spread real thick-like