PDA

View Full Version : .410

JoshLedoux
02-11-2007, 09:49 PM
gonna pick up a .410 870 express on tuesday just for chuckin in the back of the truck. Anyone had any experience with these. I was wondering if they break in to be smoother actions.

TPK
02-11-2007, 10:44 PM
I've had mine sine 2003 and have put about 20 - 25 boxes of 3" through it. It's getting smoother but it is still stiff. That aside, I really like the gun.

Tinney
02-12-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't have the express but I have the regular 870 chambered in 410. it has been a great gun for grouse. The only thing that I have issue with is the modified choke. Beofre I got this gun I had always shot a full choke, the difference between the two was almost unbearable for the first little while. I couldnt hit a grouse to save my life (wingshooting) for the first week, then I realized I had to be A LOT closer than I was used to shooting. Forget the 30 yard shots you used to make with your full choke, they are near impossible to make with the modified choke on the 870. To be consistently effective wingshooting, I find that I have to be inside the 20 yard mark. Then again, if I'm cheating and shooting them on the ground, anywhere inside 30 yards is a dead bird. I found that #6 shot works best. Enjoy....shes a sweet gun...you'll be blowing off lots of shells with it!!

Chuck
02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Hooray! Someone's finally talking my calibre. True about the chokes though - you got hardly nothing there, so tighter is better. When I took mine shooting clays, everyone laughed, and would not talk to me. Best tested results I got were #5 shot, but factory is hard to find. Anyway after taking 9 out of ten clays and then ten out of ten, everybody seemed amazed. I think they all had an ego problem. Being my first time, I thought everybody shot like that - I was wrong. I was never invited back. Too bad shells weren't cheaper.

JoshLedoux
02-12-2007, 11:17 PM
They make it in an express model wich is the plain jane and then a wingmaster more deluxe model. I love sub gages for clays especially. I shoot a minimum of 100 rounds a week out of my 28 guage and instantly got hooked when I started with a friends .410 and I regularly break in the high 30's out of 50 so everyone can be prepared to see me out at vgc with the smallest bore I can find a lot more. Ps always interested in looking for more smallbore guys to break clay with.

Ajsawden
02-12-2007, 11:22 PM
I use the .410 on squirrels. I find that it works really well, the damn things don't hold still. With the .410 you can get them when they leap between trees. Works really well.

Marc
02-12-2007, 11:29 PM
I carry a single shot .410 behind the seat when I'm out hunting, incase I come across a bird going from point A to point B. They are expensive to feed compared to a 12 gauge but work great on ditch chickens.

Tinney
02-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Hooray! Someone's finally talking my calibre. True about the chokes though - you got hardly nothing there, so tighter is better. When I took mine shooting clays, everyone laughed, and would not talk to me. Best tested results I got were #5 shot, but factory is hard to find. Anyway after taking 9 out of ten clays and then ten out of ten, everybody seemed amazed. I think they all had an ego problem. Being my first time, I thought everybody shot like that - I was wrong. I was never invited back. Too bad shells weren't cheaper.

SAME HERE! From the 22m line on the trap range they basically called me stupid for showing up with a 410. Then they started to give me looks when I cracked clay. At the end of the round, I had top score (21/25) and they seemed kinda POed. Some guys were nice about it, telling me I was a real good shot, but most kind of gave me the old "the 410 isn't a real man's gun" look. I usually shoot between 18-23 for trap. 24 is my best, 25 I'll get next year 8)

johnes50
02-13-2007, 06:21 PM
You'll have a lot of fun with your Remmy 410. I have a single shot 410 that I take along for grouse when I remember too. It's a fun gun to shoot without any noticable recoil. A LOT more fun to shoot then my single shot 12 gauge. If you can shoot grouse on the fly on a regular basis with a 410 then your definately a good shot, and better than me. I haven't seen enough grouse to get that good. John

This fellow has some 410 info.

http://mcb-homis.com/

VanIsle
02-13-2007, 07:43 PM
First firearm I ever bought was a Savage combo .22 / .410
I was 15 years old (now 44) and still have that gun.
It goes with me on every outing, and is the only gun I consider as a "beater"
I never case it or treat it well, and usually just throw it on the floor of the truck. I have probably shot hundreds and hundreds of grouse with it over the last 25 years, as well as ducks, rabbits, and the odd squirrel. I also have found that 3" in #6 shot works best for most applications. I guess firearms are actually a tool, and this liitle gun has been the most useful tool that I have ever owned.

Pete

eastkoot
02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
I've got a double coach gun .410 and it's great to carry in the truck or on the quad.. Still eating grouse from last year..

bsa30-06
02-13-2007, 07:58 PM
I've got a nef single shot break action .410 it is a great gun to throw on the back seat of the truck for grouse.

JoshLedoux
02-13-2007, 08:12 PM
just picked er up tonight not bad for action response, but I'm gonna pump and clean and reoil it all night every night for the next week till it slides like my wingmaster.

TPK
02-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Congrats on the addition, you won't be disapointed and working it like you said will go a long way to smoothing it out, just takes time.

Too bad that some of the guys here got attitude for using a .410 for trap, judge the shooter by his/her score if you have to, not by their choice of shotgun. There will always (it seems) be some of the "old guard" that will look down on anything short of a pricey O/U for clays .... the ones that seem to have forgotten to have fun.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I still have 10 or so boxes of .410 shells from my last big order (brought the price down to about $9/box for 3" #6) and I'm going to bring mine to our next trap practice (along with the 12 gauge) and have some fun, a few boxes from the 16 yard anyway. After we move back I'll switch over to the 12. When we're practicing for the Annie Oaklies and Buddy shoots, we shoot from the porch on the club house and that's just a little too long a poke for the .410, gotta be 35+ yards.

JoshLedoux
02-14-2007, 04:46 PM
what club are you shooting at?

TPK
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM
We've got a beauty club up here in Quesnel. Four trap houses, one was just outfitted with an auto-loader system so we load up 200+ birds and shoot shoot shoot.

JoshLedoux
02-14-2007, 04:51 PM
sounds nice, hafta make my way up there some time you guys do any sporting clays out thataway

TPK
02-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Funny you should ask ... we're moving more that way. We are not having enough fun with just trap. Though we haven't "officially" held a sporting clay event I can see one in the near future. A few of our trap guys go to the Williams Lake (and PG too I think) ones quite faithfully. I haven't been able to make one yet. I will this year.

We have been playing around in that regard. So far we shot some in an area where there are three burmed bays in a row (side by side like a three bay garage), probably 40' wide. We shot in the middle bay having setup a chucker in each of the outside bays to toss over the burm and across. It was a blast. We are also thinkng of a trail like setup but have to check with the Black Powder contingent at the club to see if what we have in mind can be accommodated in an area they use. If not, there are a few other spots to try, it's a big Range.:)

JoshLedoux
02-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Nice to have the room for a setup thats for sure. We have Vancouver gun club down here, a rather large shotgun only range. They put on a fantastic sporting clays event every Sunday. It's something I encourage as many people as possible to try out because it's the closest you'll get to a real hunting scenario. Have you tried out a lot of specialty targets up there? and how many hours drive is your club from vancouver.

Tinney
02-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Funny you should ask ... we're moving more that way. We are not having enough fun with just trap. Though we haven't "officially" held a sporting clay event I can see one in the near future. A few of our trap guys go to the Williams Lake (and PG too I think) ones quite faithfully. I haven't been able to make one yet. I will this year.

We have been playing around in that regard. So far we shot some in an area where there are three burmed bays in a row (side by side like a three bay garage), probably 40' wide. We shot in the middle bay having setup a chucker in each of the outside bays to toss over the burm and across. It was a blast. We are also thinkng of a trail like setup but have to check with the Black Powder contingent at the club to see if what we have in mind can be accommodated in an area they use. If not, there are a few other spots to try, it's a big Range.:)

I'm jealous :sad:

TPK
02-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Have you tried out a lot of specialty targets up there? and how many hours drive is your club from Vancouver.

Personally I haven't shot the rabbits or wobblers, those that have indicated they are tough but as close to real hunting as you can get with the way they fly, roll, and bounce. As for what we have tried at the club to simulate a sporting clay type game, to date it has been traditional trap chuckers (the spring type mounted on a saw horse) throwing regular trap clays.

We are a about an 8 hour drive from Vancouver, I think Cache Creek is close to half way.