PDA

View Full Version : What do you do if butcher has lost your meat?

pinofire
01-14-2014, 03:12 PM
As the title says. What do you do when the butcher has lost your meat? Dropped off 2 WT Deer Decemeber 7th we were told it woud be 2 weeks. When we called they said it'd be ready for the New Year. Now Jan14th after calling for past week my buddy goes in and they say theres nothing there, give them a couple days. WTF!!!

rcar
01-14-2014, 03:17 PM
By "nothing there" do you mean he is out of business or that he just doesn't have your meat?

pinofire
01-14-2014, 03:22 PM
He Cant find it. Everyone keeps passing us off to another. Call tmrw talk to this person. So we call and that persons not there. Then they say call this person etc etc. It's a piss off because one of them was my buddies first deer and we got it with a bow.

rcar
01-14-2014, 03:24 PM
If he can't find it then I would cut my losses and ask him to replace the WT meat with equivelant weight of what he has...beef, chicken...whatever. You are never going to get your WT back so this way at least you get something.

pinofire
01-14-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm hoping they will make things right. That's why we normally do it ourselves. This year was just to busy

Gateholio
01-14-2014, 03:33 PM
You tell them they have 48 hours to make it right or you are going on every bc hunting website and Facebook page on the Internet and telling your story.

E.B.
01-14-2014, 03:34 PM
Mine was replaced with ground beef at no charge. Honest mistake and I didn't have to ask for it, good guy.

TheProvider
01-14-2014, 03:34 PM
Your meat is obviously gone, they should replace it for free.

pinofire
01-14-2014, 03:50 PM
I agree with you all! I'm giving him a couple of day to come up with a solution. That's why i haven't said the name of the place. I know mistakes happen. Just depends on how they deal with it.

coach
01-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Take them a side of beef next year and see if they can turn it into whitetail :-D

Crappy situation. Hopefully they can make it right.

sawmill
01-14-2014, 03:59 PM
You tell them they have 48 hours to make it right or you are going on every bc hunting website and Facebook page on the Internet and telling your story.

^^^^^^^
This.
Never take your meat to a butcher anyway.I stick whole quarters in the freezer to butcher later if I don`t have time right then.I have been burned too.Once.Never again.

adriaticum
01-14-2014, 04:10 PM
I sure hope you got some sort of receipt or he could just say "what deer"?

RINO
01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
^^^^^^^
This.
Never take your meat to a butcher anyway.I stick whole quarters in the freezer to butcher later if I don`t have time right then.I have been burned too.Once.Never again.

Freezer Burn??

f350ps
01-14-2014, 04:16 PM
Let me guess, NSQ Meats? K

pinofire
01-14-2014, 04:16 PM
They have records of our names my buddy went through the log book and showed them and also have a receipt

pinofire
01-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Let me guess, NSQ Meats? K

No thats not them. I'll post who they are if they don't try and make it right.

huntcoop
01-14-2014, 04:34 PM
The other bad part is where is it and/or who got it and was charged for it.......

howa1500
01-14-2014, 04:35 PM
They have records of our names my buddy went through the log book and showed them and also have a receipt

Call the CO's, that log book is kept because of Wildlife laws, and is supposed to be accurate, clearly it is not.....

Dannybuoy
01-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Call the CO's, that log book is kept because of Wildlife laws, and is supposed to be accurate, clearly it is not.....

Good point .....

davet
01-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Yup I would do that too.
And for replacing the meet with other meat. I would rather have $$. Who knows what scraps they'll give you. My reason for hunting is to eat meat that is not filled with hormones and antibiotics or what ever else they feed the cows and pigs.

sherpa-Al
01-14-2014, 05:09 PM
I didn't have meat lost but might as well have been. I took some extra hard earned goat meat in to a butcher to have some pepperoni made a few years back only to have it made into something that I didn't order, worse something that I didn't want. Was I ever steaming mad, after checking the original order sheet and confirming the shop had screwed up, the front counter lady didn't seemed too concerned, she said "It happens time to time, sorry", wrong !@$$D$@ answer. Right into the back I went to straighten it out with the man carrying the clever. He was somewhat apologetic but wanted me to pay for the meat and he would make me a batch of pepperoni when they ran their next batch. I told him I wasn't paying for anything and that I wanted the peperoni made out of mountain top tenderized goat meat, aged at least 2 days in a backpack. So far no call to come pick up my pepperoni.

If you're not getting anywhere with the staff go directly to the owner , you may not get the answer you are looking for, maybe you will. If not then report to the CO's as stated above, the butcher must record all comings and goings of wild meat.

Al

davet
01-14-2014, 05:09 PM
and yes pls post their name on here if it doesnt work out. I woudnt want to take my game meat there

Andrewh
01-14-2014, 05:14 PM
go to page 21. price list for organic venison locally... don't settle for beef - they lost it, they replace it.

http://www.hillsfoods.com/products/pdf/cash-carry.pdf

Blainer
01-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Sometimes unfortunate circumstances happen in business.
I respect that you are being reasonable and have not yet disclosed the name of the butcher.
I hope he steps up to the plate for you.
Some think burning down his home is the only option, but you are handling things very professionally, let's hope the butcher does as well.

guntech
01-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Estimate the weight and charge $15 per pound...

patbrennan
01-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Reasonable would be the equivalent weight in quality beef (all cuts, not just hamburger).

604redneck
01-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Take them a side of beef next year and see if they can turn it into whitetail :-D

Crappy situation. Hopefully they can make it right.
hahaha have u tried this?

sparkes3
01-14-2014, 05:45 PM
nsq is long gone

GotaGun
01-14-2014, 06:51 PM

Call local CO and talk to him

Wrayzer
01-14-2014, 06:53 PM
That's a really unfortunate situation. I would demand to be compensated for every pound you brought in.

I had a situation where I took some Moose meat to a local butcher to get made into Jalapeno Cheddar smokies. Turns out the packages of seasoning were mixed together with some kind of fine metallic dusting that got into the mixture.
Luckily it was caught before it was given to me. Unfortunatly the recall for the seasoning was after they mixed it. I lost a good amount Moose Smokies. The supplier offered to send me venison smokies, at no cost of course. Butcher felt terrible for having to toss out the moose.

coach
01-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Remember one year at the end of the season bringing in a smaller buck(less than 140 lbs.) to a butcher in the lower mainland . While hanging in the cooler for over a week it must have doubled its weight!:shock::shock:
Took home 3 full big cardboard boxes of frozen deer meat (at least 60 lbs. per box.):-D
My guess is that people failed to pick up their deer meat & the butcher decided to give it away instead of storing it. Also he could have mislabelled the original deer carcass.
Butchers are only human!:cry:

You mean you took the meat home rather than doing the ethical thing, which would have been informing the butcher of his error? Interesting..:-?

IslandmanDan
01-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Man, hearing all this absolutely irks me. One of the main reasons we are all hunters is to fill our freezers with quality meat. I really feel for you and I think you should be disclosing the outfit, regardless. They obviously have some major flaws in their system of processing and need to get it sorted out. Man....just bugs me so much.

IronNoggin
01-14-2014, 07:30 PM
You mean you took the meat home rather than doing the ethical thing, which would have been informing the butcher of his error? Interesting..:-?

Even more so if those "extra" pounds of deer were hunted over BAIT! http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

:twisted:

BlacktailStalker
01-14-2014, 07:32 PM

Yup. He had weeks or months to screw it up, he only needs an hour to tell you how he will fix it. I would also do a write up in the local beefs thing on craigslist, kijiji etc.
Report it to the CO as suggested to ensure he isn't "messing up" any other straight forward stuff and I would also be taking him for any and all cost incurred on a trip (in cash or meat, don't let him try and sucker you with a 'credit') if this was a destination hunt as well as consider he is replacing the value of organic meat, not rodeo beef.
If it was just a local hunt add a tank of fuel to it too :lol:
People who try to F others need to get F'd real hard in return.

two-feet
01-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Terrible situation. Hope you get fully compensated. I have owned a small business and if I were in the butchers shoes it would take me about 3 seconds to decide to fully refund the customer in whatever way is wanted, plus a case of beer for the hassle. If the butcher does not come good they probably wont be in business long

SingleShot
01-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Remember one year at the end of the season bringing in a smaller buck(less than 140 lbs.) to a butcher in the lower mainland . While hanging in the cooler for over a week it must have doubled its weight!:shock::shock:
Took home 3 full big cardboard boxes of frozen deer meat (at least 60 lbs. per box.):-D
My guess is that people failed to pick up their deer meat & the butcher decided to give it away instead of storing it. Also he could have mislabelled the original deer carcass.

You guess? You didn't bring it to his attention? You put someone else in the same position as the OP.

To the op: remain diplomatic and if this butcher is any good he will make it better over and above. If not, it's a shame however at least it's not a whole moose or elk that disappeared.

Ambush
01-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Remember one year at the end of the season bringing in a smaller buck(less than 140 lbs.) Took home 3 full big cardboard boxes of frozen deer meat (at least 60 lbs. per box.)

Must have been one of those alfalfa fed deer from the Gang Ranch, whacked on his way back to the pivot for a shower and some fresh green.

sawmill
01-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Freezer Burn??

Nope not that long in the freezer,a week or 2 and wrapped in plastic.I butcher it up right,cut,wrapped in plastic then butcher paper.I freeze all my grinding meat in clean chunks,about 4 pounds per bag and thaw and grind as needed for sausage or burger.I`m pretty fanatical about my hard earned game meat.

finngun
01-14-2014, 09:13 PM
As the title says. What do you do when the butcher has lost your meat? Dropped off 2 WT Deer Decemeber 7th we were told it woud be 2 weeks. When we called they said it'd be ready for the New Year. Now Jan14th after calling for past week my buddy goes in and they say theres nothing there, give them a couple days. WTF!!!

well...at least around the kammy are s o m e people who are selling deer and moose meat,,,,:mrgreen::cry:
you butcher can go and buy replacement deer there.....:mrgreen: nooooo just kidd.....eh?

lovemywinchester
01-14-2014, 09:16 PM

Heard a similar story here in the Loops with a local meat cutter. The guy brought in a small buck around 115 on the hook and ended up getting like 105 lbs ground back. He took it to another guy to get sausage done and they had to clean the meat of all kinds of hair and dirt and gravel! Who knows what he got back.

Darksith
01-14-2014, 09:48 PM

how is it clearly not? They went through the book and showed him. The log book is to record who brought what in, not what went out to who...

It happens, Ive seen it at my butchers. Usually its not right at the end of the season and unfortunately for the masses, the butcher will pinch a bit from a bunch to make up for it. Since in your case the season is over he should at the very least provide you with replacement meat of some sort for nothing. Those places really can become a zoo, so I understand how some idiot that isn't making a ton of money and is only working as a seasonal worker messes it up, but that doesn't mean its ok, but you seem to be fairly calm about it so they shouldn't do anything other than attempt to appease you

HarryToolips
01-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Crappy man I feel sorry for ya....

frenchbar
01-14-2014, 09:54 PM
i'd pull a champ episode on em ..fake em with the meat cleaver ..then a Flurry to the solar plexes... one to the Chin..an 'say hows that for i lost your meat on ya'..ever since that day ive been the champ!

budismyhorse
01-14-2014, 09:59 PM
When dealing with butchers who after the fall and Christmas gong show is over you will likely get better results with patience. ...sounds like you are going down that path.

Butchers are usually so busy they couldn't care less if you hit the bricks and told everyone you knew.... People have short memories when they have a dead animal in their shop and have to work on Monday;)

Swamp mule
01-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Start learning to butcher your own meat. Yes it takes time and money upfront but once you have started doing your own with a few people it is a fund time to spend with friends and family and you can learn all aspects of butchering. Good to learn making jerky (I am dong that now) and sausage (something that I want to try to make this year). Just need to construct hanging facilities and cooler.

frenchbar
01-14-2014, 10:24 PM
for those that have never butchered..grab a quarter at a time on the kitchen table ..fire up the computer ..google how to butcher a deer ..elk ..ect ..it will showyou step by step ..after a couple animals its easy peasy and cheap!

Pioneerman
01-14-2014, 10:27 PM
15 years ago, we took two moose into a butcher south island who was well known for wild game butchering and did ours up many times before. When we dropped them off my buddies smaller moose was butchered under his name the larger one was under mine. When we went to pick them up he had more meat than I did, about 50 lbs more. We were splitting so didn't matter, that way, but when I complained to the butcher he said it was because I had one whole shoulder go rotten on me, he said cause of the blood shot bullet damage and was not cooled down right. I was so pissed and told him that was not my moose. I shot mine in the neck close to the head dropped it instantly , no other shots. We cut it into 1/4's and took it to camp on our atv's it was -30 at night and around -10 during day, but we skinned it that night and wrapped in cheese cloth and left the 1/4's on the racks of our atv's to allow the air to get all around it. I reminded the butcher of that story cause he said he had not seen any animals that clean for a long time. Then he tried saying well I know it was yours cause I pulled the bullet out of the shoulder myself, and had it on his desk(just so happened) and showed it to me. I said that is not my bullet at all, went to my truck and got a spent 300 win mag casing and showed him the size was not the same. The one he had looked like a 375, and the base of the shell was way to big to fit in case. We tried to get him to resolve it, but made no headway, but never went back there ever again .Done my own game after that until I found a local guy I trusted

E.V.B.H.
01-14-2014, 10:46 PM

I wouldn't be so proud of this if I were you. Questionable behaviour from a guy so insistent on being ethical..

Big Lew
01-14-2014, 11:12 PM
I've only had a butcher cut and wrap 2 moose and 1 deer in 52 years that I can remember although I've taken many into their coolers. I am very confident that I got all of my animals back without problems. I very much prefer to do my own so that I am sure everything packaged is very clean and without blood clots etc. My Dad, Grandfather, and brothers, have also cut and wrapped their own except for one occasion. Despite my warning, they had a traveling butcher come in and process a deer. I wasn't present, but I think they assumed the butcher would clean the carcass. Not so, because when they unwrapped their packages for cooking, the meat was filthy with hair, dirt, and some had large blood pockets and bullet-damaged meat. I've heard so many stories of hunters complaining that they either received less than anticipated, or meat different then what they brought in....if it's possible, it's better to do your own unless you trust your butcher.

E.V.B.H.
01-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Please read post #43. Cheers! MP

I did, 60x3= 180 - 30% = around 125 pds of meat before adding fat. A less than 140 pd deer means 15 pds tops of waste if it was all burger. Clearly got a lot of meat that wasn't yours.

Besides it was just a little joke comment about ethics. Because yours are so clearly defined:mrgreen:

coach
01-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Wasting perfectly good organic game meat by mixing it with 35% beef fat seems awfully unethical. :confused:

Gateholio
01-15-2014, 12:31 AM

So you stole someone else's meat but think baiting is unethical? Man, that is some screwed up sense of ethics.

hunter1947
01-15-2014, 04:36 AM
If this happened to me I would expect the butcher to replace my meat with whatever he or she had to make up for my loss..

pittriver
01-15-2014, 06:35 AM
It's really to bad want happened, I hope the butcher dose the right thing and compensates you for your loss. It has happened to me a few times, wrong meat, or wrong quantity. My hunting partners and I finally got fed up and we invested in a cooler, grinder and cutting table. It's the only way to have control of the process from the the field to the table.
But, what is done, is done. So lets hope the butcher goes good for the mistake.

TPK
01-15-2014, 09:31 AM
That sucks. Never had any "lost" but have paid for boneless and received meat with bone in .. so either not my Deer or he forgot I wanted boneless. Didn't discover that until a while after I picked it up. Too late to do much about it, already had been eating hamburger from that batch. Also sent in a "neck shot" Deer one year and had roasts with blood shot areas on them, definitely NOT my Deer. Seems harder and harder to find good butchers making it more and more appealing to do it myself. Thought I had found a good one until talking with the guys sister-in-law and she is telling me about how lucky she is that her brother-in-law is a game butcher so they always have game meat in the freezer ..it's common don't ya know for butchers to keep a little of every animal they butcher .. ya right, never been back there since.

Darksith
01-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Seems harder and harder to find good butchers

Butchering/meat cutting is definitely a dying profession. If one was inclined and had the knowledge and capital to open up a shop, they would do quite well for the 2 or 3 months. Seems like shops just keep closing, but no new ones pop up in their place. Even from speaking to guys that own some of the local shops they have a hard time finding trained pro meat cutters, which also adds to the backlog...If you got a kid getting out of high school, meat cutting might be a great career choice.

Drillbit
01-15-2014, 11:06 AM
That sucks. Never had any "lost" but have paid for boneless and received meat with bone in .. so either not my Deer or he forgot I wanted boneless. Didn't discover that until a while after I picked it up. Too late to do much about it, already had been eating hamburger from that batch. Also sent in a "neck shot" Deer one year and had roasts with blood shot areas on them, definitely NOT my Deer. Seems harder and harder to find good butchers making it more and more appealing to do it myself. Thought I had found a good one until talking with the guys sister-in-law and she is telling me about how lucky she is that her brother-in-law is a game butcher so they always have game meat in the freezer ..it's common don't ya know for butchers to keep a little of every animal they butcher .. ya right, never been back there since.

Haha, where did you think the tenderloins go?

elkhunterette
01-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Ya one year we took 2 moose into a butcher and we are sure we only got a little more than half back...won't be going back there again! The butcher denied that there was a problem.

dogger
01-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Happened to me twice over the years. The second time it was replaced with pork and beef. The packages had writing on them with different pens which suggested that he raided from other peoples orders. Told him this was not acceptable, he said too bad. Came within a inch of kicking his ass.

Fella
01-15-2014, 11:32 AM
I don't understand how some of these butchers expect to stay in business with such terrible practices and customer service unless their primary business is a butcher/deli shop.

elkhunterette
01-15-2014, 11:36 AM
I don't understand how some of these butchers expect to stay in business with such terrible practices and customer service unless their primary business is a butcher/deli shop.

Because there are not enough butchers to go around and they seem to think they can do what they want.

Ed George
01-15-2014, 12:03 PM
A number of years ago, Aldergrove Freezer Meats (no longer around), did the same to me. We took in 2 moose, 1 head shot and the other lung shot, 1 shot each, 825 lbs in plus purchased 30 lbs of pork for sausage. We got back 401 lbs total including sausage. Aldergrove FM blamed dirty meat, shot to hell, go to hell and a number of other excuses. Aldergrove Freezer Meats lost in small claims court, this action is still on file with the MOE Guildford office. The butcher should do his best to make it right, if not, small claims court is an option.

sawmill
01-15-2014, 12:28 PM
I butcher my own .I got the bandsaw,grinder,sausage stuffer,smoker,deli saw and a lot of real sharp knives.
When I open a pack of meat it is MY stuff,clean and pristine.Besides,it`s my favorite part of hunting.

pinofire
01-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Like I said before we normally do our own game cutting this year was just to busy. I let everyone know the outcome when I hear back from the shop.

hunterdon
01-15-2014, 01:12 PM
^^^^^^^
This.

x2 Couldn't agree more.

Many years ago I took a nice calf moose into the butchers. This was a beautiful rosy pink carcass which I hung myself for a few weeks. Told the butcher to cut it the next day as it was ready. I noticed when I pulled up to the back doors to drop it off, all of the butchers stopped their work and all came to look at my moose. All had a slight smile, but no one said a word. That was when I had that gut twisting feeling.

Sure enough, when I picked up the cut meat, I know I was short. But how do you prove it? I guess they figured a few steaks for the boys is a job perk.
That was the last time I ever took an animal to the butchers. Never looked back since. One of the best decisions I have ever made.

btridge
01-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Call a CO and see if they will go to the butchers with you, things will happen on the spot, either you will get your meat or the butcher is in deep s##t. A butcher (lost) all the t-bones out of 2 elk we took in, we discovered this when we were dividing the meat. we went back to the butcher and he blew us off...so we called the CO, when we walked in with the CO, it only took a few minutes for the butcher to come up with the missing steaks, in 3 unmarked boxes that were in a different cooler than where he got the rest of our meat from....this butcher is no more.

pittriver
01-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Unless you find a super honest butcher, it's the perfect crime.

You drop off your meat, and it is weighted at that time, full water weight and bone, and that's what you pay on.
When you pick it up, the meat is wrapped in brown paper and in a box. What happened in the shop is totally based on trust.

In the butchers defence, meat does condense after being butchered, but it always seems less that it should be, at least for me it did. And the best cuts.........?

Let us know how you make out.

Mikey Rafiki
01-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Haha, where did you think the tenderloins go?

Even the laziest of people must know to grab there tenderloins before you bring an animal in. Backstraps, tenderloins, neck and ribs only take an hour or two and you have plenty of eats while you wait for the rest of the animal to be processed. I've only brought in a couple elk in my time and it's just been the quarters. Who wants to pay for all that spine, pelvis and rib weight?

This year I was concerned as I got such a large percentage of burger. I'm thinking the butcher was too picky or lazy to work for the smaller steak and roast cuts. Unfortunately I had to go on vacation 2 days after I arrowed the Elk so I didn't have much choice. You can always turn a roast into steak and a steak in to stew meat/jerky or burger, but you can't go the other way.

Darksith
01-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Just to play the devils advocate since I have seen and I hear a lot of the stories from the butchers point of view. You pay for cut and wrap, the butcher would rather not have to skin your animal, although he will and he will charge you for it, he still would rather not do it. Last thing they want is a bunch of hair and dirty meat hanging in their shop. What most hunters expect, but don't realize they shouldn't expect, is for the butcher to clean your animal of dirt, debris, hair and other crap. Its cut and wrap, not clean, cut and wrap. Also if you shoot an animal in the ass, expect to lose a pile of meat...happened to me this year. My butcher told me when he cracked the hip of the moose my dad shot, blood just poured out. Apparently my dad had shot at this animal free hand while it was quartering away, and he obviously isn't a sniper! If I was just some guy that thought he was missing cause the moose wasn't flinching, and the butcher didn't make note of whos moose it was b/c its just a moose with some name on it, he might not remember to inform the person that there was a ton of waste b/c you shot it in the ass a bunch of times when you thought you were shooting over its back. So some situation like that where a hunter didn't think they hit the animal, but actually did numerous times would result in a small return on the product, and the info might not be passed on simply due to they are too busy to take notes and meet and greet every customer that walks through the door. There are lots of reasons for mistakes, some of them are the butchers fault, some of them are the hunters fault, not every butcher is a crook although lots seem to think they all are...hell wasn't but last year I thought I got ripped off from a butcher I wasn't familiar with. Many peeps here said that guy was a stand up guy...so I ended up believing that I just had a old weak moose.

Big Lew
01-15-2014, 04:21 PM
I agree with you, as I'm sure many others will also, but as in most situations where someone believes they've been 'ripped off' or poorly dealt with, we tend to hear from the 'complaint' side, seldom from satisfied customers. I had a former Safeway butcher with his own business handle 2 of my moose and both times he did a very good job, even going above and beyond what I expected. I also used a butcher in Winfield that cheaply hung many of my deer in his cooler, and did an excellent job of cutting and wrapping one up.

coach
01-15-2014, 04:31 PM
After reading so many negative comments on this thread, I guess I should consider myself extremely lucky to have found an exceptional butcher here in Kelowna. Although I often do my own processing, there are times when it's more convenient to use a butcher. Mine allows me to skin an animal on his hook outside his shop. He's told me to call him at any time, day or night and he'll meet me and take the animal in. He's busy but always has room for my game. His shop is spotless and he takes great pride in how he cuts and processes everything. I've yet to open a package from him that didn't meet my satisfaction. Everything is clean and wrapped in plastic and then paper. I was so impressed this season, I started wondering why I bother cutting my own.

Lots of bad apples - but when you find a good one, it's best to treat them well. Nice when your butcher is an honest guy just trying to make a living.

M.Dean
01-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Over the years I've cut thousands of pounds of game meat, I'm not real good at it, but it's all eatable when I'm done! I've also helped lots and lots of guys cut up there animals, some of the newer hunters are quite amazed at how little meat is on a small deer! Then too boot, if you hit it in the front shoulders, which is very common, or in the back end, you'll lose a pile of meat! The Butcher throws that out, it's blood shot, it reaks and your Dog won't even eat it! Also, if the outside of your animal is covered in hair, rocks and dirt, the Butcher cuts all that off, he can't spend the time trying to clean your mess up! That get's thrown out too! So now you've got 45 pounds of wasted meat because where you shot the animal, and how you looked after it when you got it to the truck, dragging it in the dirt etc! Believe me, about the last thing a good Butcher want's is a chunk of a Deer you shot 2 or 3 times,you cut through the gut bag, left piss and shit between the hinds without washing it out, and there's still hair and crap all over the entire animal! And, yes, the Tenderloins should be removed as soon as you get the animal home, you can dam near remove them without a knife if it's done right away. First, know where the tenderloins are, reach in and gently dig your fingers in behind the entire muscle, you'll feel where it's joined to the inner back, work your hand to one end until there's just a little bit holding it in there, then work up to the other end of the loin, you can simply pull it out of a Deer when you gut it, Moose, Elk etc are bigger, and you'll have to cut it off each end. Wash the Tenderloin in cold water and trim off any silver skin or extra crap that came with it. Also, well were taking about Game Meat, we just picked up 125 pounds of Moose and Deer Pepperoni, Smokies, Salomi and Italian Bratwurst from Gary's Deli in Kamloops today, Man does our kitchen smell great right now! Some friends are dropping by to help vacuum pack it all, a end to another great and rewarding Hunting Season at Marv's House!!!

Sitkaspruce
01-15-2014, 05:49 PM

And we wonder why the CO's are not out in the bush.....stuff like this takes up way too much of their time. You deal with it, it's your problem, not theirs, to fix. Don't call the CO's, you will be wasting their time.

And this comes from the guy who is all about Fair Chase........I guess when it benefits you, it is all right, but when you don't like it, you are all over the internet about how bad it is and all that crap about Fair Chase......

I am shaking my head over your statement....and it is not against your hunting techniques, imagine that.

Cheers

SS

TheProvider
01-15-2014, 06:18 PM
For people who complain that they get too much burger and not enough steaks or roasts. Be very clear when you place your order. Simply saying steak, roasts and burger will tend to leave you disappointed.

Havent used a butcher since leaving Ontario. Was lucky to have a great butcher 5 mins from the farm. He wad a grocery store butcher aswell had a shop on his farm. When I shot an animal I would call him. If he or his wife werent there he would give me the go ahead to hang the meat in the cooler. First few times going their he always asked for very specific order. Right down to if you wanted soup bones or bones for the dog free of charge. After using him a few times. Id hang the meat and he'd give me a call qhen it was ready. Only had to leave a note for the type of sausage I wanted. A few people people I worked with complained they got too much burger from him and not enough steak. I think they didnt give specific instructions or they think every edible piece of meat on an animal is steak worthy.

betteroffishing
01-15-2014, 06:44 PM
thats funny , its my favorite part of the hunt as well . no one believes me.

I butcher my own .I got the bandsaw,grinder,sausage stuffer,smoker,deli saw and a lot of real sharp knives.
When I open a pack of meat it is MY stuff,clean and pristine.Besides,it`s my favorite part of hunting.

Caveman
01-15-2014, 06:52 PM
When did Mike Moss take up butchering??

SingleShot
01-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Shortly after the money dried up from taxidermy, or lack of taxidermy.

rocksteady
01-15-2014, 07:03 PM
I would be that butchers worst nightmare... I bring you clean, pristine wild meat and you "lose it".... Guess what, I worked hard for that.... Now I am gonna lose it!!

As a butcher, your name is "mud".... I will tell all I know, right pronto

boxhitch
01-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Call a CO and see if they will go to the butchers with you, things will happen on the spot, either you will get your meat or the butcher is in deep s##t. .............
so we called the CO, when we walked in with the CO, it only took a few minutes for the butcher to come up with the missing steaks, What 'official' business did the CO have in mind ? They don't handle business ethics and theft would be a police issue. Or was it just the image that worked on the shop owner ?

boxhitch
01-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Easy answer , tell him you want all the trim and bones back . Take in 450 #'s , get back 450 #'s . You may pay a premium for him keeping it separate and handling , but good insurance.

Boner
01-15-2014, 07:35 PM
I like to do my own, but when I'm short on time, I'm happy with my butcher. He charges an arm and a leg, but the trust is there.

I think that a good butcher will take the time to sort things out, hopefully the OP's butcher will make him happy.

Fred1
01-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Well that is simple... I date his daughter for a bit.....

rides bike to work
01-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Hey op did you get your meat back

pittriver
01-15-2014, 09:47 PM
I guess butchers are like women and hunting partners, their is lots of them out there, but few good ones.

huntcoop
01-15-2014, 10:10 PM
When did Mike Moss take up butchering??

Ouch! That's a zinger, good one :lol:

oldSchool
01-15-2014, 10:33 PM
That's a really unfortunate situation. I would demand to be compensated for every pound you brought in.

I had a situation where I took some Moose meat to a local butcher to get made into Jalapeno Cheddar smokies. Turns out the packages of seasoning were mixed together with some kind of fine metallic dusting that got into the mixture.
Luckily it was caught before it was given to me. Unfortunatly the recall for the seasoning was after they mixed it. I lost a good amount Moose Smokies. The supplier offered to send me venison smokies, at no cost of course. Butcher felt terrible for having to toss out the moose.

Wonder where the vendor was going to get the venison?? maybe it was whitetail!!

Hunting guy
01-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Accept the equivalent amount in beef and move on.... Sucks it happened but it did. After eating a lot of wild meat over the years I would now be (happily) willing to trade 80 lbs of deer meat for 80 lbs of beef. Then I would find a new butcher, unless I had some tough old goat meat he could possibly loose and then replace it with beef also:-D

Foxton Gundogs
01-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Mine was replaced with ground beef at no charge. Honest mistake and I didn't have to ask for it, good guy.

Hamburger my a$$. I'd tell them "well I don't usually eat beef, only good organic wild game, BUT, if you replace it with T bones and prime rib I'll make do" :twisted:

hunterdon
01-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Just to play the devils advocate since I have seen and I hear a lot of the stories from the butchers point of view. You pay for cut and wrap, the butcher would rather not have to skin your animal, although he will and he will charge you for it, he still would rather not do it. Last thing they want is a bunch of hair and dirty meat hanging in their shop. What most hunters expect, but don't realize they shouldn't expect, is for the butcher to clean your animal of dirt, debris, hair and other crap. Its cut and wrap, not clean, cut and wrap. Also if you shoot an animal in the ass, expect to lose a pile of meat...happened to me this year. My butcher told me when he cracked the hip of the moose my dad shot, blood just poured out. Apparently my dad had shot at this animal free hand while it was quartering away, and he obviously isn't a sniper! If I was just some guy that thought he was missing cause the moose wasn't flinching, and the butcher didn't make note of whos moose it was b/c its just a moose with some name on it, he might not remember to inform the person that there was a ton of waste b/c you shot it in the ass a bunch of times when you thought you were shooting over its back. So some situation like that where a hunter didn't think they hit the animal, but actually did numerous times would result in a small return on the product, and the info might not be passed on simply due to they are too busy to take notes and meet and greet every customer that walks through the door. There are lots of reasons for mistakes, some of them are the butchers fault, some of them are the hunters fault, not every butcher is a crook although lots seem to think they all are...hell wasn't but last year I thought I got ripped off from a butcher I wasn't familiar with. Many peeps here said that guy was a stand up guy...so I ended up believing that I just had a old weak moose.

You make a lot of good points Sith. When I did go to the butchers years ago, I saw some awful looking chunks of meat. Some guys just blast away or drag their deer thru the mud and dirt and figure everything is just fine.

If you're lucky enough to find a good butcher, as it seems Coach has, then that's great. But I think what happens is that mistakes by the butcher/helper
sometimes happens or a hunter who may have brought in a awful piece of meat, complains and the butcher resorts to robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Not the right solution, but I'm sure it happens.

Anyways, I would encourage any and all, to give processing their own meat a try. Sure, it will be difficult at first, and stressful, but you will get better with time and practice. The biggest hurdle for most will be a proper place to hang/store the carcass in the cool. Early season hunting will definitely be a challenge. In that case, you can approach a butcher and ask if he will allow you to hang/cool your carcass for a few days. Some will do this for a nominal fee. Some won't. You never know until you ask. Just be sure to take the hide off and clean the meat really nice before you hang it in the shop.

Big Lew
01-16-2014, 10:08 AM
"In that case, you can approach a butcher and ask if he will allow you to hang/cool your carcass for a few days. Some will do this for a nominal fee. Some won't. You never know until you ask. Just be sure to take the hide off and clean the meat really nice before you hang it in the shop."

The chances of a butcher accepting your game to hang in their cooler early in the season is quite good....I've done this many times without ever having a refusal, but as said, make sure it is clean.

weatherby_man
01-16-2014, 10:11 AM
We now butcher my own (there isn't a better way). When using a butcher we always ensured deer/elk were skinned, well cleaned, and bagged/covered before taking it in. My buddy shot a WT in the ass one year and we had a good laugh with our butcher about it and didn't expect much back from that particular animal. He never ripped us off, and we always got a fair deal we thought. We butcher our own because we have the time to get every ounce of meat off the animal (which I don't expect a butcher to do), we also keep the bones for my dogs. A lot of butchers bring in some part time help during game season, some are better than others for sure.

GoatGuy
01-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Just to play the devils advocate since I have seen and I hear a lot of the stories from the butchers point of view. You pay for cut and wrap, the butcher would rather not have to skin your animal, although he will and he will charge you for it, he still would rather not do it. Last thing they want is a bunch of hair and dirty meat hanging in their shop. What most hunters expect, but don't realize they shouldn't expect, is for the butcher to clean your animal of dirt, debris, hair and other crap. Its cut and wrap, not clean, cut and wrap.

That is a business decision. If you don't want to skin it you aren't charging enough - same with cleaning the meat. The alternative is to refuse to take the animal, which the guy who makes our sausage regularly does.

Simple problems - simple solutions.

donnareid
01-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Can you finally reveal how this turned out and who the butcher was? Did they finally offer anything for the lost meat?

hunterjeff719
01-16-2014, 12:01 PM
yea the anticipation is killing me, I hope its not the butcher ive been using. ive taken 3 deer in and haven't had an issue. one deer I noticed not many tenderloin steaks but what can you expect when you blow the shit outta the tenderloin... I know I know it was a bad shot!

shitty situation to be in and I hope it gets resolved somehow.

pinofire
01-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Well heres a little bit of an update. I talked to the butcher shop and now my sausage is supposed to be ready for pick up an Monday he hopes. I doubt its our deer coming back. We'll see with the amount of meat we get back. I have a pretty good idea how much is should come back.

RiverOtter
01-16-2014, 07:40 PM
All of a sudden found your meat, or it took him this long to find one "sleeping" alongside the highway to replace it.............

If you get bits of chrome plating and signal lights in your sausage, you'll have your answer..........

M.Dean
01-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Well heres a little bit of an update. I talked to the butcher shop and now my sausage is supposed to be ready for pick up an Monday he hopes. I doubt its our deer coming back. We'll see with the amount of meat we get back. I have a pretty good idea how much is should come back. Now, if the Butcher Shop looked high and low for the last few weeks for your 2 Deer and couldn't find them anywhere in there Shop, I'd be asking if they found the 2 Deer, which, when you think about it aren't really that small to hide behind the dust pan, or under some paper work, or maybe hidden away in a dark corner of the Cooler! Also, if they didn't find the 2 Deer in the Cooler, where in hell did they find them suddenly??? Odds are real good one of the employees gave the meat to someone else picking up there Deer meat! I think I'd find out what kind of meat he's making your Sausage out of, and hopefully he's honest enough to tell you!!! Good Luck!

Glenny
01-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Accept the equivalent amount in beef and move on.... Sucks it happened but it did. After eating a lot of wild meat over the years I would now be (happily) willing to trade 80 lbs of deer meat for 80 lbs of beef. Then I would find a new butcher, unless I had some tough old goat meat he could possibly loose and then replace it with beef also:-D

yah All prime rib too. That would be doable.

Striksfromabove
01-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Be thankful it wasn't an elk or a moose!!! I had a large commercial butcher in the Comox Valley who hung a moose too long in the cooler and it soured. They left it too long because they were high production and processed by species each day which pushed it into another week later. I got back 1/3 of what I should have an every steak had a 1/2 inch green ring around the outer perimeter. When I asked wtf? and they shrugged their shoulders and tried to tell me the lack of meat was due to the fact that moose bones are the densest bones in the world, hence the reason for the lack of "weight" in returned meat. Pathetic!

That was a while ago and I make a point of telling everyone I know that hunts that story and have never gone back since it's the only way to impact an operation that doesn't come clean and right wrongs when they make mistakes. Too bad too cause I loved their pepperoni!

Scotty-B
01-16-2014, 09:20 PM
When a meat cutter tries to "make good" by somehow finding game meat to replace your lost or missing game, my concern is "Who is getting short changed" to compensate the loss? If my elk, moose, deer, or whatever is replaced with the same, there is another customer who is probably not getting what they should be.

nap
01-17-2014, 03:41 AM

WOW!! Read this whole thread from start to finish, lots of comments eh! 2 weeks to process your 2 white tail, For starters why would it take 2 weeks to cut up 2 white tail?? If a butcher has room to hang wild game for 2 weeks, one would think to take it somewhere else, When you find a good butcher they are busy and they don't hang meat for any longer than absolutely necessary. The question I have is what was the final product you were wanting, was it all to be cut up into steaks, roasts and burger or all pepperoni and sausage. Sounds like waiting 2 weeks means you were waiting for sausage and pepperoni? Most places when making peperoni and sausage do not make small batches, but throw everything together and make one big batch. Some one else has your order, lucky them, good luck though.

Darksith
01-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Now, if the Butcher Shop looked high and low for the last few weeks for your 2 Deer and couldn't find them anywhere in there Shop, I'd be asking if they found the 2 Deer, which, when you think about it aren't really that small to hide behind the dust pan, or under some paper work, or maybe hidden away in a dark corner of the Cooler! Also, if they didn't find the 2 Deer in the Cooler, where in hell did they find them suddenly??? Odds are real good one of the employees gave the meat to someone else picking up there Deer meat! I think I'd find out what kind of meat he's making your Sausage out of, and hopefully he's honest enough to tell you!!! Good Luck!

Whats the main issue...getting meat for your freezer. Hopefully he gives you a deep discount for the hassle and delay. If it was me I wouldn't sweat whether it was beef or venison as long as I got a discount that I was happy with and I ended up with meat in my freezer. We can all BS about having healthy natural meat for our families, but as we are hunting we are eating potato chips, drinking coffee, pop, beer whatever. Not many of us are super big health nuts that have to have organic everything so don't put too much stress on that.

donnareid
01-17-2014, 12:43 PM
how much do you have to pay when you bring the deer to the butcher ?

coach
01-17-2014, 12:51 PM
how much do you have to pay when you bring the deer to the butcher ?

Nothing. You pay when you pick it up. :-D

donnareid
01-17-2014, 12:52 PM
so how much is it Coach? :-D

coach
01-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Depends on the butcher. Mine charges 70 cents per pound, based on what it weighs when I drop it off. Some charge $1 per pound. Others charge a set price (around $100) per deer, regardless of weight.

Fred1
01-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Whats the main issue...getting meat for your freezer. Hopefully he gives you a deep discount for the hassle and delay. If it was me I wouldn't sweat whether it was beef or venison as long as I got a discount that I was happy with and I ended up with meat in my freezer. We can all BS about having healthy natural meat for our families, but as we are hunting we are eating potato chips, drinking coffee, pop, beer whatever. Not many of us are super big health nuts that have to have organic everything so don't put too much stress on that.

LMAO!!! Exactly!

Fred1
01-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Here is a story kind of off topic but in relation to "not so straight" butchers...
A couple of years ago I took a clean, well earned, lead free, beautiful Williams lake mulie to a well known and long term established butcher in the BX area near Vernon to have the meat cut up and some sausages made. I cut up the carcass and brought in the pieces/chunks. By the time we hade the sausages eaten I had enough lead fragments to build two .338 bullets... 18 pieces of sizable lead! WTF is right!?! So when I challenged the butcher on why there were bullet fragments in my lead free kill, he just shrugged.

So my point is, don't be surprised if you don't get back the animal you brought in and don't be surprised if your meat gets mixed in with someone else's - its bullshit for sure but seems to be the norm... I tell everyone this story and don't leave out the name.

So in conclusion, to be sure you get what you killed, cut your own. And if you are taking meat in to be made in pepperoni and or sausage please, for all our sakes, make sure the meat is clean and well cared for!!

donnareid
01-17-2014, 01:22 PM
so it is allowed to cut your own completely, or do you always have to bring it to the butcher at least for testing for parasites and illnesses?

Whonnock Boy
01-17-2014, 01:43 PM
I would be looking to be compensated handsomely if it were me. It is unfortunate that this happens. I am sure it is one of the consequences of having some butchers trying to make their lions share of wages in the short amount of time during hunting season.

Seeing how others are telling their stories, I will add mine. My sausage maker of several years decided it was time to call it quits, and I had to find another. Phoned up a recommended establishment and asked them specifically if they make individual batches of pepperoni, or do they mix meat from several animals, and make one large batch. They assured me that everything is separate, and the meat I bring in is the meat I get back. It's the first batch of gamey pepperoni I have had in over a decade. It is not throughout the entire pepperoni, but a bite here, and a bite there. That was the first, and last 100 bucks they will get from me. :-?

E.V.B.H.
01-17-2014, 01:51 PM
so it is allowed to cut your own completely, or do you always have to bring it to the butcher at least for testing for parasites and illnesses?

You never have to go to a butcher if you don't want to. I've been cutting more of my own lately and have found a noticeable difference in the quality of the meat, for the better

Singleshotneeded
01-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Have them replace the deer with the equivalent amount of beef...I know it sucks, but at least you'll have meat. What a FUBAR business!

Philcott
01-17-2014, 02:02 PM

You are free to bring your game meat home and process it yourself. Many "long time" hunters do this because they have had problems after taking meat in to a butcher. I haven't let anyone else cut my meat in many many years.

The first time you do it it will be a little scary just because you will think you'll do it wrong. There really is no right or wrong way. You just separate the muscles and some will look like roasts, some will look like they can be cut into nice steaks, some you will say man that would make nice pieces for a stew and all the rest will go into burger that you can mix with a bit of fat or pork butt or just grind it up on it's own.

I like to double wrap mine with plastic wrap (saran) and then wrap with freezer paper and label what it is and the year.

Simple as that.

Field dressing is very important to having a good final product too. Learn how to do a good job of this and yuo will be rewarded with years of fine table fare.

As far as illness goes, if the animal looks healthy it more than likely is.

Philcott
01-17-2014, 02:03 PM
OP,

I hope you come away reasonably satisfied from this mess up. Bummer all around.

Dannybuoy
01-17-2014, 08:24 PM
What would make you think there is any testing done at any butcher ? its not even done on beef , pork etc just a visual "inspection" at the slaughter house .

HIGHRPM
01-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Press charges, theft is theft !

Redneck Rocket
01-18-2014, 06:08 PM
I'd like to add my experience to this list. It sounds like some people have had bad experiences, I had a good one. Took a nice 2x3 Mulie in Region 8, was 170lbs on the hook, dressed with head removed.

It was my first animal and I was very busy with work & personal stuff at the time so I decided to take it to the butcher. I chose Grimm's on Eckhardt St. in Penticton. They charged $30 to skin it for me, and did great job on that, $0.99 per lb to butcher including some ground. I also had 15lbs of Pepperoni made for $2.50/lb.

I was very pleased with the service, they tagged the animal when they brought it in with my name and phone number, called me when it was ready and I got back well butchered, nicely packed and labelled meat. I shared with my brother and a friend of ours, the friend is on disability from a logging accident many years back and lives on very limited income. This guy has hunted all his life prior to his accident and told me that it was one of the best tasting deer he had ever eaten from. The meat is superb, the Pepperoni great, and since I took in a very healthy youngish buck, I know we got back the right meat.

I will be a repeat customer.

J_T
01-18-2014, 06:12 PM
In business, mistakes happen. It's what you do to make the mistake right to the client that defines your ethic in the eyes of others and your future prosperity. For, me, I would suggest you have a case for a reduced cost due to the stress and aggravation.

It took him a while to find a road kill to fill your order.

Geo.338
01-18-2014, 06:46 PM
I think you should lose the butcher . I would also put the name out there so other can decide for themselves if they want to do business with them .

Some may have good things to say about the guy and others may not . Your experience may speak to the business ethics and how the guy treats everyones meat . I myself would never take any meat back there even if you are compensated pound for pound with whatever tip of meat .

If it turns out to be game I would certainly put the name out there .

SHACK
01-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Yup I would NOT accept game meat from him for replacement. Also, I would have him bring in a side of beef so you get back similar cuts you would expect from your lost animal. After that, lose the butcher and learn to cut yourself.

Mulehahn
01-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Since you were initially quoted 2 weeks, and you were told that your sausage would be ready tomorrow, that implies that your deer has been hanging for approximately 4 1/2 weeks. There is no way that that is your deer, unless the sausage was made and lost. I would demand a full, and plausible, explanation of where the sausage has come from.

huntcoop
01-19-2014, 05:23 PM
... I would have him bring in a side of beef so you get back similar cuts you would expect from your lost animal...

I'm pretty sure that would NEVER happen and the cutter would prolly tell you to go pound sand. Unfortunately there are thousands of hunters and only a few butchers that do game. I think the moral of the story is buyer beware and only use a reputable butcher.

burger
01-19-2014, 05:56 PM
If the shop comes clean then no name is needed. We will all know tomorrow when pinofire reports what went down. Honestly hope the butcher steps up and make right. Good end for all involved.

BearStump
01-19-2014, 06:11 PM
i picked up 2 cow elk acouple years ago from tne butcher. I think it was 6 boxes total. and seemed a little low on weight but not too much. I just wrote it off and started looking into butchering for myself ext year. Well a week later I get a call from the butcher saying that my elk is ready?? hmmm? maybe they had a couple more boxes that they missed the first time. So I go in snd the lady rings it up, tells me theres 6 boxes for me and to bring my truck around. Now at this point I know theyve screwed up and I'm dying to see what she brings out the back door for me. Hahaha the look on her face was priceless when she thought they'd lost my elk.
I was so mean, I let it go for a good 10 minutes before I told her that I'd already picked it up last week. she was apologizing left right and center and gave me a few lbs of beef jerky for my troubles. I wasn't mad at all. I found it humorous, but ten again, I did get my meat back.

Drillbit
01-19-2014, 10:39 PM
... to a well known and long term established butcher in the BX area near Vernon to have the meat cut up and some sausages made....

... I tell everyone this story and don't leave out the name.

You left out the name this time.....where was this? :)

russm
01-20-2014, 10:29 PM
So what happened?

donnareid
01-20-2014, 10:38 PM
this is like a suspense novel.... what happened next?

Wentrot
01-21-2014, 10:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Scotty-B
01-21-2014, 12:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44&feature=youtube_gdata_player

LMAO!!! That about sums it up.

davet
01-21-2014, 02:36 PM
so what has happened with this? Did you ever get it resolved ?

SingleShot
01-21-2014, 07:39 PM
With 30 posts in 5 years the OP should reply by late March 2014.

pinofire
01-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Hi guys sorry i was away for a few day. Heres whats happened so far. Last week I spoke the butcher and he said it"d be ready for pick up by monday afternoon(yesterday). I received no phone call so first thing this morning I called. The guy I talked to said "oh you're getting three different things done" "it's still not ready". "I call you when its done". Like i said if it wasn't done this time I'd give the name of the place. The place is Penguin meats. I have used them in the past for sausage with no problem this year I guess my luck has changed. Sorry for not giving more info before. You guys know as much as I do at this point.

SingleShot
01-21-2014, 08:14 PM
You are being pretty darned patient with this Penguin Meat place. More so than I would be. Thanks for the update.

coach
01-21-2014, 08:20 PM
The place is Penguin meats.

We used them a couple times when I lived in the Lower Mainland and definitely would NOT recommend them.

BiG Boar
01-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Penguin meat is gross. Cold and gamey. Unless you get them in the early season.

huntcoop
01-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Quit phoning and pay them a visit in person, good god man, end it.

SHACK
01-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Last place I would use for sure. Hindsight is 20 20 though. Used them once about 20 years ago and never again. Good luck with getting your issues resolved.

pittriver
01-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the update. You have been very patient with them. I would get what you can in lieu of your meat and then never use them again. Like I said before, I cut my own and don't use a butcher, but I will spread the word not to use Penguin meats to other folks.

Hope it works out.
Cheers.

WKCotts
01-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Happened to me this year with my Mulie. Replaced with my butchers personal elk no charge

Whonnock Boy
01-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Was told by my meat cutter friend that Penguin meats was the place where butchers without the facilities sent there clients meat to be made into sausage. Hundreds of pounds mixed together in huge vats. No thanks.....

M.Dean
01-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Lets see, I dropped off 125 pounds of meat at Gary's Deli in Kamloops two Saturdays ago, we picked up 4 different kinds of incredible Sausage the following Wednesday, so that's a four day turn a round, how long has "Penguin Meats" had your meat for????? The thing is, even if you do get some Sausage back from "Penguin Meats" where in hell did they get the meat, and what kind of meat is it?????

f350ps
01-21-2014, 09:54 PM
I used Penguin a couple years ago for two Peace elk in Jan only because I was stuck as my regular cutter was on holidays. All I have to say is I would NEVER ever go back, it was the worst butchering I have ever seen!! The sausage on the other hand was excellent thanks to the fact that the sausage maker is a well known guy from Langley that most guys probably have dealt with before. K

russm
01-21-2014, 09:57 PM
I've heard they're decent for sausage before, was considering going there when I get my bear this year, will definitely not be going there now.

M.Dean
01-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Hey, I was just thinking what I'd do if that was my meat that "Penguin Meats" gave to someone else? What would they do if there phone number was posted on here, and what could they do if we all got together and phoned there every day until you got your meat back??? If there phone rang with guys asking if this members meat was ready yet, after 5 or 6 hundred calls you think they'd make a point of getting it back to him ASAP??? Might be worth thinking about?

burger
01-21-2014, 11:07 PM
I think that might work the opposite or would you trust what you got back. I instead would wait till he gets his whatever back and then if it is not up to snuff we all start calling and letting them know that there business will suffer as the experience is all online for the hunting community to see.

whitlers
01-21-2014, 11:46 PM
Our group used them a few years ago for our moose trip. Brought them 5 bulls. The cuts were not great and poorly packaged but the sausage was good (if it was even ours). Still regardless havent been back and def dont plan on it

Jburger
01-22-2014, 07:58 AM
Interesting read.

I was going to use “Penguin Meats” this past fall, howeverit was a disaster. On a Saturday, Iphoned first thing in the morning to see if I could drop off my meat. The person, said yes, but come in soon as it getsbusier later in the day. Not aproblem. Loaded up the meat and droveover. Went in, the butcher gave me acart to load up the meat on. Brought themeat in, and he said, sorry the other butcher advised me that we aren’taccepting any game meat at this time. Come back after Xmas….sure I’ll come back.

So after reading Pinofire’s experience – I think I dodged a bullet.

.330 Dakota
01-22-2014, 09:14 AM
If he doesnt want to right the wrong, tell him your'e calling the CO,,,butchers dont want audits, and they can be fined for not keeping proper records, also that will cause the CO's to watch them closer and they certainly dont want that.

pinofire
01-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Hey Guys here's the latest. Got the call today sausage was ready. My buddy picked it up and starting to wrap it. The pepperoni tastes good but the garlic coil we ordered is def not garlic coil and tastes rotten. Has a sour oder and taste. I guess I'll be making another phone call in the morning.

russm
01-23-2014, 09:08 PM
What a bunch of ****ers, atleast I'll know to go else where, mind if I ask what they're charging you for their "services" ?

RiverOtter
01-23-2014, 09:10 PM
You're a braver man than me, to put whatever they gave you anywhere near your mouth.......

I know you were hoping for the best, but after all this time you can't possibly think you're eating your deer.
Even worse would be if it WAS actually your deer, although that would explain the "Rot" taste....

Whonnock Boy
01-23-2014, 09:11 PM
Ugh!!!!!!!

huntcoop
01-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Hey Guys here's the latest. Got the call today sausage was ready. My buddy picked it up and starting to wrap it. The pepperoni tastes good but the garlic coil we ordered is def not garlic coil and tastes rotten. Has a sour oder and taste. I guess I'll be making another phone call in the morning.

Lord forbid ya pay them a visit. Jesus christ man, get off your ass and get in his face, I'm shocked at how this has all played out :roll:

pinofire
01-23-2014, 09:21 PM
I would have gone there myself today but I'm on shift and could not make it and unfortunately I'm not off until next week. I will also be contacting the health department in the morning.

pinofire
01-23-2014, 09:22 PM
They charged us 370 for the work needless to say it was way to much.

What a bunch of ****ers, atleast I'll know to go else where, mind if I ask what they're charging you for their "services" ?

davet
01-23-2014, 09:50 PM
ahh crap i just bought some turkey cutlets from there today. I wonder what it really was. not going there again.

pinofire
01-23-2014, 10:06 PM
I wish I could post smell for you guys lol. Also will be contacting the health department in the morning

Johnny G1
01-23-2014, 10:16 PM
They charged us 370 for the work needless to say it was way to much. How did you pay, cash or check ??????

davet
01-23-2014, 10:55 PM
I wish I could post smell for you guys lol. Also will be contacting the health department in the morning
How are you so upbeat about this. I want whatever your on. Lol

Sitkaspruce
01-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Show them this post and get your money back!!

You are a brave and patient man. I would have told them to shove it and made sure everyone knows about their screw up. You are letting them off too easy.

Good luck with your meat!!

Cheers

SS

pinofire
01-23-2014, 11:33 PM
I believe he paid with a credit card

How did you pay, cash or check ??????

pinofire
01-23-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm just so done with Penguin meats. I just want everyone to know about the problems so no one else gets screwed. I work with a lot of guys who hunt and they're passing the info as well.

How are you so upbeat about this. I want whatever your on. Lol

mud-dog27
01-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Will be sure to pass the warning on to others sounds like the butcher could care less,its a bad feeling when that shit happens, couple years back had my butcher misplace the tenderloins, called him on it and they were ready to offer me a half dozen prime cut marinaded steaks, fortunately my buddy was working for them at the time and had placed them on the shelf above my boxes and simply got missed when i picked up cause he was off that day.

pittriver
01-24-2014, 05:37 AM
I also work with a lot of guys that hunt. I will be sure to let everyone know to avoid Penguin Meats like the plague.

M.Dean
01-24-2014, 06:03 AM
Is this place in White Rock? If so, when you punch it in on line a site comes up saying" Opinions on Penguin Meats", it's a thread started here in 2005. If this is the same outfit, let us know and I'm sure we can reopen the thread and add a few newer comments!

russm
01-24-2014, 06:09 AM
Yeah it's in white rock.

pittriver
01-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Looked it up in google and found the thread. If the thread was re opened I would defiantly put in a comment. I don't like to see people getting screwed over.

Steeleco
01-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Now that we have a name I'm going to remove them from the cutters list. Normally ALL threads about butchers get closed as per Marc's rules. So long as this doesn't get out of hand I'll let things be!!

I've met and know a few guys that have used them and have been quite happy, something may have changed?

hunterjeff719
01-24-2014, 07:21 PM
I didn't go back and read from where I last left off, there is just too much there. sorry if this sounds like what someone else has already posted. I used penguin for my first ever deer. the weight was pretty much bang on, BUT I did hear after that they just take in everyones meat and combine it all and do a mass batch of peperoni, jerky (they use jerky guns) and whatever else.
for that reason I haven't gone back. it kind of defeats the purpose of hunting and cleaning your own meat if the next guy behind you has dragged his through the dirt on the way out. I make sure to get every last hair and trim as much fat as possible off my deer before I bring it in to the butcher. my buddies dad said he had shot a deer with a 30.06 and it was a thru and thru shot. he got his meat back from penguin and was eating a steak and bit into a bb (someone used a shotgun). he hasn't gone back since.

oh and above all I found the guy receiving my deer at the door and another guy inside working to be a complete asshole....

RiverOtter
01-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Not defending Penguin, but I've found shot gun pellets while skinning deer before; Completely healed over. It wouldn't be a stretch for a pellet to make it into a back strap, for example.

hunterjeff719
01-24-2014, 07:47 PM
Not defending Penguin, but I've found shot gun pellets while skinning deer before; Completely healed over. It wouldn't be a stretch for a pellet to make it into a back strap, for example.

fair enough. never thought of that.

pinofire
01-24-2014, 07:50 PM
I talked to the butcher he said he doesn't know how i got spoiled meat. I'm bringing it back Monday as it's the first day I'm able to get in.

M.Dean
01-24-2014, 09:22 PM
I talked to the butcher he said he doesn't know how i got spoiled meat. I'm bringing it back Monday as it's the first day I'm able to get in. I think I'd get a Hazmat Team to safely remove the meat from your home! Clean any surfaces that the meat may have touched with Bleach! With so much E-Coli going around now a days, you can't be to careful with germ filled meat! I think I'd sooner take 50 cents a pound for the meat you lost and let them recycle the rotten meat into Sausages and stuff!

pinofire
01-27-2014, 01:22 PM
THE LATEST. Went into the butcher and they smelled the meat and agreed it was defiantly bad. They refunded our money and will replace it with the equivalent amount of meat in bison.

Philcott
01-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Well that sounds better. I hope this time you will be satisfied with what you get from them. Good luck.

andrewscag
01-27-2014, 02:42 PM
That's more like it. Glad it sounds like it will work out for you.

rods50
01-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Glad to hear that Penguin Meats stepped up to the plate and corrected the situation....some times shit happens and the fact that they did correct the problem should make you all happy....we have been there and seen some of the animals as they are being brought in and some hunters should be ashamed of the quality that their game is when they drop it off at a butchers' and then bitch about it!!

Whonnock Boy
01-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Smell it!!!???? I would of told them to eat it! Giving you a bunch of meat that a pack of coyotes would even turn their noses up to is just wrong.

Andrewh
01-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Hello guys,

I have got meat processed (just smokies/pepperoni) done at Penguin Meats over the years and I have yet to have a bad experience. I can give you an idea of what happened this year though.

It took me a month and a half to get my smoked meat back and this was due to a few issues that came up.
1) First off the smokehouse went down late Oct or beginning of Nov and as usual they were getting many game animals dropped off for processing so the backup started then.

2) The guy that does all the smokies etc nearly cut off a finger so he was off for a while.

3) Further to this one of the game cutters also went on paternity-leave so it was chaos in the back area.

I know this because I was on the phone with them every week from Nov to Dec asking about my meat. Mistakes happen in situations like the above and that would be a good enough excuse for me if they said sorry and replaced it with Bison... Pretty good deal if you ask me.

It is true that they are a little grumpy in the back when you drop off the meat but they do a pretty good job with the smokies/pepperoni, just not in the case of the OP.

Glad they made it right for you.

Scotty-B
01-28-2014, 12:20 PM
There is nothing acceptable about getting sausage, burger, or other similarly processed meat back from a volume batch (everyone else's scrap thrown in to make is easier on them), if that is their practice. If it is not their practice, it is a moot point, but otherwise, NO THANK YOU! If I want mystery meat, I will buy it in a can from the supermarket.

sawmill
01-28-2014, 02:44 PM
There is nothing acceptable about getting sausage, burger, or other similarly processed meat back from a volume batch (everyone else's scrap thrown in to make is easier on them), if that is their practice. If it is not their practice, it is a moot point, but otherwise, NO THANK YOU! If I want mystery meat, I will buy it in a can from the supermarket.

Pretty much most butchers do that in the busy season.You want 10 pounds of peperoni,10 of garlic ring 10 of jerkey it`s all out of the days grind.And I have seen what goes into the grinding barrel.
That`s why I do my own.

rods50
01-28-2014, 04:10 PM
find me a butcher that will make small batches, please

RiverOtter
01-28-2014, 08:36 PM

You want a small batch, split an order with a buddy.....20 lbs of meat, including lean pork trim is about the norm for a single batch.

pinofire
02-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Final update guys. Got the phone call today and got the new sausage from the butcher. It all tastes and smells good this time. I appreciate all the advice!!

Xenomorph
02-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Pretty much most butchers do that in the busy season.You want 10 pounds of peperoni,10 of garlic ring 10 of jerkey it`s all out of the days grind.And I have seen what goes into the grinding barrel.
That`s why I do my own.

I personally would charge extra for game and make it "individually" ...throwing it into a vat with everyone else's is stupid, disrespectful to say the least to the effort the hunter that brought his stuff in cleaned and cared for as opposed to the douche that grabbed and dragged the animal behind the quad through the mud.

I'm almost tempted to open a place myself, even if just for season only. My dad and I always, ALWAYS butcher and do our own cuts, sausages and some of you East Europeans might know the "beer sausages". Not to mention the home made pickles, jams :mrgreen:

Final update guys. Got the phone call today and got the new sausage from the butcher. It all tastes and smells good this time. I appreciate all the advice!!

At least you got a good batch of bison, but what a hassle. Shouldn't be that way ever.

eaglesnester
02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
This is why I debone and process my own game. I took the time to learn how even before I shot my first moose. It ante that hard people. I want my own meat back and not some other animal that may or may not have been properly looked after. Losing yur meat is just one of the many misfortunes that can occur when U hire your kill out for butchering.

Sniperdan
02-09-2014, 08:54 PM
We took 3 elk in to a local butcher shop this season. We dropped them off on a Thursday afternoon with explicit instructions on the cuts we wanted. I even came back after leaving to re-iterate that we wanted the ribs. They processed the meat first thing Saturday morning (they were shot at last light on Tuesday) spent more time in the truck than hanging which made me very unhappy. When I complained about the lack of hanging time, she agreed with me but just shrugged me off and said they needed to make room in the cooler. Excuse me? There were only 3 other animals hanging in that large cooler on thursday when we dropped our meat off! So we pay the bill and then head out back to load our meat; out comes boxes and boxes of burger. ALL the steaks were deboned and simply marked "steak" (where the F**K are my T-bones?) and of course no ribs! This spun me into a level of pi$$ed off I cannot possibly describe and when I went back in the office to complain I was again shrugged off and told "I don't know what happened, the butcher isn't here right now". I suggested that nothing would make up for ruining my hard earned meat, but that at the very least a discount should be in order. Again, all I got was a shrug. I left extremely angry with a promise to never return and to spread the word to everyone I know. The name of the place? Johnston's in Chilliwack.