PDA

View Full Version : spring bear is coming soon

mntman
02-11-2007, 03:26 PM
who's planning for a spring bear

JohnS
02-11-2007, 03:42 PM
every year! I hope my .270 gets back from the gun smith by opening day!

scuba
02-11-2007, 03:48 PM
counting down for grizz draw results, if nil i'll have two black bear tags in my pocket everywhere i go.

bigwhiteys
02-11-2007, 03:50 PM
counting down for grizz draw results,

Me Too!!! I am still going to pick up a blackie tag and see if I can get a boar bigger then my 6' 3" last year.

Spring Bear hunting on the Island is a riot!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Kechika
02-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I will be out an about looking for Mr Right.Not sure if I'll drop the hammer.The countdown begins

todbartell
02-11-2007, 04:01 PM
I may hunt Island monsters with Gatehouse, and also applied for my first grizzly LEH in an area just opened up to hunting. 8-) Either way I will most likely be attacked and die

Will
02-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Either way I will most likely be attacked and die
Not necessarily, I'm sure Gatehouse will be gentle..........:lol:

I'm also Planning an Island Trip for Blackies....but we'll see8-)

BearSniper
02-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Yep !!!

Definitely !!!:)

I's settle for a nice Black but it would sure be cool to get a cinammon:)

oldtimer
02-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Bear with a bow -= that is my mission. Mike

Steeleco
02-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm saving my last pack of smokies till I get a source for more!!! Just hope all this now goes away soon.

VanIsle
02-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Either way I will most likely be attacked and die
Hopefully, not like Bill :smile:

Bill's all excited about his new rifle. So, he goes bear hunting in Alaska.

The first bear he sees is a little brown bear, and he kills it
with his first shot. There is a tap on his shoulder, and he turns
around to see a big black bear.

The black bear says "You've got 2 choices. One, I maul you to
death or Two, we have sex."

Bill bends over for the bear. He's sore for 2 days, but he
recovers and vows revenge.

Bill heads out on another trip to Alaska and he finds the black
bear and kills him. At that moment there is a tap on his shoulder.
A huge grizzly is standing right behind him.

The grizzly says, "That was a big mistake. You've got 2 choices,
"Either I maul you to death or we have sex."

Bill bends over. He survives, but he's really hurting and takes
quite a bit of time to recover, and, he's outraged. Sure enough,
he heads back to Alaska and finds the grizzly and shoots him at
point blank range.

There's a tap on his shoulder. He turns around to find an enormous
polar bear, and the polar bear says,
"You don't really come here for the hunting, do you Bill?" :lol:

Mr. Dean
02-11-2007, 06:05 PM
DONE DEAL!
Ferry is booked and I'm in the proccess of load developement.
Got me 2 weeks set aside to go and beat bushes, lookin for Mr. Right.
Hopefully we'll connect.

Mr. Dean
02-11-2007, 06:08 PM
VanIsle;
Now THATS a good one!

Krico
02-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Will chase griz if I get my LEH, will chase blackies either way. I want to get a rug for my little guy's bedroom, as the Mrs. is decorating it as a log cabin theme with plush head mounts, camo etc. The rest will be tube steaks.

CanAm500
02-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I said maybe, it all depends if my neighbour wants to go.

dana
02-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Gonna be taking my boy out this spring and see if he can get his first bear. I personally will be holding my tag for something bigger than the 7'4" I killed a couple years ago. 8 foot or bust.

Phil
02-11-2007, 07:48 PM
A definite YES for me. Spring black bear is all I can think about these days. I want to make a nice rug and try these smokies I've been reading about. Can't wait!!!

youngfellla
02-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Should be gone grizz hunting May 1st. 4 of us put in and the odds were less than 1:1 last year. Hoping to put my Rigby to the test, get some good video, and hold out for an 8 footer8-) I'll also be chasing blackies but won't hammer one unless he pushes the 7 ft mark.

RiverOtter
02-11-2007, 08:33 PM
I've been ready since last season closed. I will dump the first 6 footer I see to sell and then hold out for a 7' plus. With the amount of snow we have this winter, I expect green up to be a week or two later than last year. Grizz hunting will take front seat though, providing the draw gods are on my side. LOL.

RO

bsa30-06
02-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Thats a definate yes for me.

The Hermit
02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I have my sights set on a blackie by bow this year. It will be my first hunt with a bow! I am practicing every second day for half an hour or so. I'm feeling pretty confident I can make the shot.

Franko is going to be rifle back up for me and visa versa! I want a rug, some burger and some peppi!

~T-BONE~
02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Yup it sure is! Hopefully that dirty blonde pig I fu#*ed up on last year is there again ready for some 30-30 action!:twisted: Theres no exageration when i say pig! Gut on the ground.. damm near draggin and it took up most of the road!:eek: 6.5 - 7ft. without a doubt!!!

goathead
02-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Cant wait for leh results if not Island blackies are great to hunt.

srupp
02-11-2007, 09:48 PM
I have a standing "invite" for north Island bear.....whats a good general time for Van Island black bear????

HOWEVER IF I get my spring G bear LEH I will go "coastal" ie K bay or cariboo highlands whatever draw I get..and also keep an eye out for a big blackie....

Already harvested one of the oldest grizzlies in Canada....maybe next one wont be so old...:eek:

Steven

dave_fras
02-11-2007, 09:55 PM
2 bears with my bow..... revelstoke.... i wanna get a pig of a bear this year tho

3kills
02-11-2007, 10:55 PM
hell ya....lookin for nice big one but will take any 6ft i see first....

CHilko21
02-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm planning on taking my brother out this spring, as soon as my PAL papers come back

Steeleco
02-11-2007, 11:09 PM
With the looks of the survey so far the blackies had best lay low after their little snooze. Good luck all.

youngfellla
02-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Already harvested one of the oldest grizzlies in Canada....maybe next one wont be so old...:eek:

Steven

Better give us some details on that one 8-)

pmj
02-11-2007, 11:16 PM
My Buddie has asked me to go with him for a blackie8-) . It will be my first bear hunt. I will be the camera man:grin: and back up shooter:biggrin: . He told me I could eat all the sardines I want on this trip:confused: .

JoshLedoux
02-11-2007, 11:17 PM
dunno if my hunting partners are interested, probably carry a tag with me when I go for turkey anyways, see if I scare something up.

BCbillies
02-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Wouldn't miss it for anything - at least not this year! It's been a long winter and should be a good year for spring grizz. Head north where the LEH odds are almost a sure thing! My fall bighorn hunt just got delayed a year (3rd child coming - I messed up on my timing!) so the spring bears are gonna be a focus - I can hardly wait. I'm loaded and ready, 300 Win Mag with 220 g handloads - has never let me down and has brought a few bears down hard!

FullDraw
02-11-2007, 11:54 PM
You bet! I'm just working on some loads and then we'll be ready. I have a nice spot picked out in region 5.

F/D

hunter1947
02-12-2007, 05:22 AM
I hope to do some bear shooting with my camcorder ,can't wait http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif hunter1947.

Fisher-Dude
02-12-2007, 09:58 AM
I may hunt Island monsters with Gatehouse, and also applied for my first grizzly LEH in an area just opened up to hunting. 8-) Either way I will most likely be attacked and die

You need a bigger gun.

I'll be out there, but probably just to watch spring come to the mountains.

srupp
02-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Young fella here is one of my grizzlies..mountain bear VERY old...26 years old ?I have the biologists report AND the phone call from Victoria about his incredible age..he is losing all his silvertp guard hairs he's THAT old going bald..claws are over 6 " long each and wihte/yellow..and he takes up completely one wall !!!

steven

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/th_grizz3.jpg (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/grizz3.jpg)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/th_griz1-1.jpg (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/griz1-1.jpg)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/th_grizz2.jpg (http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/grizz2.jpg)

srupp
02-12-2007, 02:26 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/grizz3.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/griz1-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/grizz2.jpg

Rod
02-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm taking my son to the north island for his first bear and if a monster shows after Alex fills his tag I just might take one myself with a rifle otherwise I will be trying to get in close to take one with my recurve.

bruin
02-12-2007, 03:16 PM
She's a bowhunt this year, trying to better the one I've go, not going to be too hard, had to wipe milk off the his lips after I shot him for pictures. JK. I think I'm headed to the Island and maybe some hunting in the Okanagan. I've got the off season shakes.

mcrae
02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Two weeks off for me. The last week of May first week of June:) A little later than I would like but its still good. Sticking to my local areas. I have a nice new to me Remington Model 700 Classic in .338 Win Mag thats going bear hunting!

Elkhound
02-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Spring bear sounds good to me. Want one with the bow too

3kills
02-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm saving my last pack of smokies till I get a source for more!!! Just hope all this now goes away soon.

i m going to be watchin a great spot this year around here for green up when its ready to go i will let ya know and then u can up and we will put one on the ground for ur youngen....

BrowningBar
02-12-2007, 09:17 PM
almost time to get back out to practice shooting again,hope my Browning Bar still hits good.

mntman
02-12-2007, 10:12 PM
With the looks of the survey so far the blackies had best lay low after their little snooze. Good luck all.

yes looking like the blackies best play duck and cover hope everyone gets a hog

fireonethree
02-13-2007, 02:40 PM
This year, I am going to take one with a 577 Snider.....well, that's the goal at least!!!!:lol: The bow would be nice too. Good thing we can have two tags!!

-FOT

3kills
02-13-2007, 05:05 PM
hey gatehouse u going to spear one this year :D

Gateholio
02-13-2007, 05:30 PM
hey gatehouse u going to spear one this year

I haven't found a spear that will work yet.:-(

I actually htink that getting my neighbor to weld a piece of flat stock, shaped liek a spearhead (sharpened) to some sort of handle, and attaching a cross piece woudl be the way to go. Then it could be used as a sticking spear.

The spear I have is for trowing, and no doubt th ebear woudl be alerted to my presence when I wound up to fling8-)

But I doubt I will get around to it this year.Maybe when I am older and crankier, and have more time on my hands8-)

I *do* have somethign up my sleeve for this year, though.:twisted:

StoneChaser
02-13-2007, 05:40 PM
I haven't found a spear that will work yet.:-(

I actually htink that getting my neighbor to weld a piece of flat stock, shaped liek a spearhead (sharpened) to some sort of handle, and attaching a cross piece woudl be the way to go. Then it could be used as a sticking spear.

The spear I have is for trowing, and no doubt th ebear woudl be alerted to my presence when I wound up to fling8-)

But I doubt I will get around to it this year.Maybe when I am older and crankier, and have more time on my hands8-)

I *do* have somethign up my sleeve for this year, though.:twisted:

I have a buddy that could build ya one... give me the details (he will handforge it, heat treat it...send me the specs and I'll ask him about it (better yet...we'll draw them up this weekend).

StoneChaser

Kirby
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
I think this year I'll go out again but like most years it will likely turn out to be nothing more than shed hunting for mulies and moose. Every year I just let the bears walk on by. But maybe this year I'll actually shoot another, been awhile for myself, or maybe take out some more newbies and help them.
Of course there is always this guy, definatly the largest blackie I have ever seen, he dwarfed the griz that was feeding below him, First blackie that would say is a definate 8' bear
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/Cr_mclean/Monsterblack.jpg

Kirby

Gateholio
02-13-2007, 05:59 PM
I have a buddy that could build ya one... give me the details (he will handforge it, heat treat it...send me the specs and I'll ask him about it (better yet...we'll draw them up this weekend).

StoneChaser

Are you kidding? Then I woudl actualy have to go out and DO it!:lol:

See you soon...

3kills
02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
kirby just dump one already....i think we need a trip back into that area i got mine a couple years ago and see if they is any other nice ones....

sawmill
02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I wasn`t going to shoot any more bears but I saw 2 friggen MONSTERS last fall up where I was hunting and they have been on my mind since......so,yeah,I`m gonna try find them this spring.The biggest was a smooth 7 ft.+(I`m thinking maybe close to 8)looked like a black Volkswagon.I took some dandy blacks in Hazelton along the Skeena,salmon fed monsters and these 2 were as big or bigger than any I`ve ever seen so I think I`ll have one more bear if I am lucky.