PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here hunting with an eberlestock X1 Euro or Gunslinger

Kudu
01-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Comments queries or complaints?

longstonec
01-13-2014, 07:26 PM
I have the blue widow that I use for a day pack, meat packer and 2-4 day overnighter trips. I use it a lot and quite hard and after 4+-? years it has held up very well. They build good packs. mine is a long way from waterproof.

dana
01-13-2014, 10:12 PM
I had bought the X1 and the Gunslinger for my kids when they were younger. My son grew out of the Gunslinger and now uses my old J105. My daughter still uses the X1 but I'm hoping to get her a true womans pack this summer. Both packs are fine for daypacks but they can't fit a lot of gear for multi day trips. I converted the gunslinger to a cruisers vest by sewing on the front of a vest to the pack. I found I could carry way too much ribbon than I needed. ;) My only complaint with it was the hip belt road up all the time. I was constantly pulling it down.

Salty
01-13-2014, 10:22 PM
Kudu I hope you don't mind but I'd be interested in anyone's take on the X2 as well.. I've been eyeing that one up lately

backcountrybowhunter
01-13-2014, 10:34 PM
I've got the destroyer love the pack.

todbartell
01-13-2014, 10:37 PM
X2 is a great daypack which will handle some hauling, if needed

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/todbartell/09%20blacktail/DSC02290.jpg

dana
01-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Hahaha. Yes it does do some hauling, just not really designed for it. I can say on multi day trips it was hard to jam the kids sleeping bags, clothes and their share of the family gear. Thus the reason I want to get my daughter a true womans packpack. Then she can carry more gear. ;)

Salty
01-13-2014, 10:48 PM
On the Eberlestock site they show a guy packing an elk quarter on an X2.

Kudu
01-14-2014, 07:51 AM
The X2 looks like a great pack as well - I've heard good things about the "Euro" from mates back in SA as well as the UK who hunt on the continent - that's why I asked if anyone here had had similar experiences with it out here.

I may get and X2 or something similar in the badlands lineup for Ranger 95 - he makes a great pack mule on our forays into the wild...:-D

the hopper
01-14-2014, 12:35 PM
I use an x1 for day hunts bow hunting and rifle, I like it,
for next year I'm going to Add a zip or Velcro cover for the rifle holster thing as it fills with pine needles and stuff, and as such I only put my rifle in there after I've shot a wild beast and am hauling it like a caveman back down the Mtn.
but I normally just keep my rain gear in that space so it isn't wasted..
if you packed well you might be able to use it as an overnight pack just throw a sleeping bag under it or something.

for the price, it was considerably cheaper then some other models iirc, It's been very much more useful then my backcountry ski bag that was being used previously.
also the bow sling thing works well, but your bow sits high and so when you are crawling through nasty thick shit it gets snagged frequently. Sits solidly can't be ripped away but can tangle you up if your not thinking about it.
overall though good bag

pin_head
01-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Kudu I hope you don't mind but I'd be interested in anyone's take on the X2 as well.. I've been eyeing that one up lately

I bought an x2 from the classifieds on this site to replace my badlands 2200 that was too tall for my torso. I've been really happy with the x2, I haven't hauled any meat with it yet but I've spent a lot of time hiking in it lately and it's really comfortable. The add on gun scabbard is also very handy and user friendly. I'm planning on loading it up for some weekend trips this fall and I'm confident that with strategic packing and lashing that it will be up to the task.

cheers,
Brad

Salty
01-14-2014, 05:36 PM
thx Brad, appreciated. The X1 looks nice too but the convertible sides that can be swung to the side and the little base to accept the brunt of a load that you can lash in there on the X2 is appealing. I've got it to what I need in a day pack incl just enough for an unplanned over nighter isn't much and would fit in the sides with room to spare. Think I might get one this year

Wrayzer
01-14-2014, 06:20 PM
I had the X1. Great day pack, I would wear it all day hiking and walking and carried weight comfortably. Gun scabbard was great.
I ended up selling it and getting a pack frame as the X1 doesn't have the carrying capacity to haul much out.

swampthing
01-15-2014, 07:14 PM
The x2 is a good pack. I had one but sold it as it was a bit small to fit a whole boned out deer and the kitchen sink that I like to have along. If you don't plan on carrying a whole deer on your back its a very good choice. I bought a team elk pack after the x2 and its a bit small for me too. Its for sale! Going back to my dragonfly.

Buck
01-15-2014, 07:25 PM
I use the X1 as a daypack .Comfortable has everything i need for a survival situation.and for tracking work with my dog.I sometimes carry 25 lbs in it with no complaints.Also lash my snowshoes into the middle works good.