PDA

View Full Version : 3-30 Wolf Hunting

mike-juliet
01-12-2014, 08:40 PM
My Girlfriends family owns a cabin up on Loon Lake in 3-30 and this February on our annual winter trip her and I would like to get out and try to chase some dogs(She's a keeper I know...) I personally in the 3 years I have been hunting that area have never seen a Wolf, just a few tracks and only a handful of coyotes. If anyone has much experience predator hunting the Loon Lake general area who wants to help me help our ungulates I'll gladly take any advice you may be able to give.

Secondly, Is setting up and calling with an electronic call and decoy effective for wolves like it is for coyotes?

russm
01-12-2014, 09:05 PM
2 seasons back I saw a wolf in one of the fields on the left of the highway about half way into Clinton, I'm pretty sure it was private property and I was more interested in getting a deer so I kept going, I've seen quite a few coyotes around the lake too.

Pete
01-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Using a bait good or even better several baits is probably the best. The rest is patience. Calling does work if they are in the area. If you are serious about improving ungulate populations then harvest Bears especially in the spring.

bc traper
01-12-2014, 09:46 PM
There was a wolf seen on Stevens road in the middle of the subdivision a few weeks ago There were wolves seeen across the lake from the subdivision around the same time There are probably both wolves and coyotes around the ranch property at the far end of the lake but you need to see if your allowed to hunt there

hunterjeff719
01-12-2014, 10:51 PM
there is coyotes at the end on that ranch. seen 3 now. I think me and a buddy are heading up to his place towards the end of the month to try and wack some ourselves.

604redneck
01-12-2014, 11:48 PM
one of my buddies who is a member of this site owns the trap lline and exclusive rights to trap the ranches at each end of the lake will be tough going for wolf up there even if there are lots

hunterjeff719
01-12-2014, 11:50 PM
good to know, I will pass along that info to my friend who has the place up there.

604redneck
01-12-2014, 11:50 PM
there is coyotes at the end on that ranch. seen 3 now. I think me and a buddy are heading up to his place towards the end of the month to try and wack some ourselves.
id ask the ranchers if u dont already have permission they dont take kindly to people on there land and odds are ur vehicles wont get back off if u dont have permission but asking will most likely grant permission

hunterjeff719
01-12-2014, 11:53 PM
id ask the ranchers if u dont already have permission they dont take kindly to people on there land and odds are ur vehicles wont get back off if u dont have permission but asking will most likely grant permission

oh trust me we'd be asking permission for sure. the guys dad and uncle already hunt the land at the east end.