PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep Fly In 2014

BigSlapper
01-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Looking for some "sage advice" from you sheep "gurus" (you know who you are :))

1) Do I fly out of Tattoga, Dease, Muncho ... or Jetboat? Reason?
2) Can you recommend a "resident friendly" pilot, charter, transporter, etc. ?
3) Planning 2 weeks (possibly solo), so do I go Aug 1st opener, August 15th? .... later ?

I know this has been beat to death in many threads/forums I'm researching, but frankly many of the threads/forums are older and "things" change (territorial outfitters & ownership, pilots, pricing, etc.).
This is a first for me (Stones) and high on my bucket list so I want to do this right for all the right reasons. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

blackbart
01-12-2014, 08:51 PM
I hear that there are sheep at or around Tuchodi Lake's. You might want to try that. Jet boat or float plane.

BEAVERBRUCE
01-12-2014, 09:17 PM
if you go after august 15 there is very few sheep hunters in the bush , cause 95% of them go for august 1st.

any pilot should be resident friendly cause residents are their bread& butter & they don't stick you for the bill where as an outfitter will eventually .

butcher
01-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Bruce are you guys still handling the bookings off of your dock?

Timbow
01-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Being your first stone hunt, I would not recommend a solo hunting. Best to team up with someone who has done it before or if you can't find someone experienced, find a partner who is in the same boat and plan a hunt. It may take many seasons but each hunt is worth it.

Cheers

BigSlapper
01-13-2014, 04:25 PM
All good things to consider Timbow ....

Being your first stone hunt, I would not recommend a solo hunting. Best to team up with someone who has done it before or if you can't find someone experienced, find a partner who is in the same boat and plan a hunt. It may take many seasons but each hunt is worth it.

Cheers

spear
01-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Tuchodi Lakes for sure, get you in shape for big Muleys in Clearwater in the fall :)

40incher
01-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Looking for some "sage advice" from you sheep "gurus" (you know who you are :))

1) Do I fly out of Tattoga, Dease, Muncho ... or Jetboat? Reason?
2) Can you recommend a "resident friendly" pilot, charter, transporter, etc. ?
3) Planning 2 weeks (possibly solo), so do I go Aug 1st opener, August 15th? .... later ?

I know this has been beat to death in many threads/forums I'm researching, but frankly many of the threads/forums are older and "things" change (territorial outfitters & ownership, pilots, pricing, etc.).
This is a first for me (Stones) and high on my bucket list so I want to do this right for all the right reasons. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Apply for Spatsizi, fly to Bug Lake and hunt towards Cullivan Creek and Eaglenest Creek.

ru rancher
01-13-2014, 10:53 PM
^^ pulled two sheep out of spatsizi last summer was both of our first hunt too saw one other ram that was legal also my sheep was 10 1/2 dads was 12 1/2

bearvalley
01-13-2014, 11:16 PM
Probably need your own plane to land at Bug. After that the rest is easy. Just follow the tail of Reg's horse. Good Luck.

ru rancher
01-13-2014, 11:29 PM
cheapest plane only lands at cold fish you can pay more to land at bug through a diffrent company

BigSlapper
01-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Ranch ... is this out of Tatogga? Do you have a company name? Great pics of your rams btw - nice job !
Unfortunately I already have my LEH in ... Spat wasn't my first choice (but what do I know!?)

BS

cheapest plane only lands at cold fish you can pay more to land at bug through a diffrent company

BiG Boar
01-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Flight company does not matter that much.
Go august 1st. If you're going to find sheep, and theres a legal one in the group, it may be taken already, if you're not first in.
Learn how to count rings. Go to the wild sheep society and talk to other people about hunting sheep.
Find a partner that is at your fitness level and go with them.

budismyhorse
01-14-2014, 09:15 AM
My advice is dont hit a spot you read NAMED on this site. I know lots of dudes who chase after spots like this and have had nothing but competition. ....

A very cool and doable solo hunt would be to go with Riverjet adventures.... Hunt the foothills off one of those rivers.... Usually lots of sheep to cut your teeth on. Do some quiet research on this site and you'll find a few spots without too much trouble.

01-14-2014, 09:29 AM
My advice is dont hit a spot you read NAMED on this site. I know lots of dudes who chase after spots like this and have had nothing but competition. ....

A very cool and doable solo hunt would be to go with Riverjet adventures.... Hunt the foothills off one of those rivers.... Usually lots of sheep to cut your teeth on. Do some quiet research on this site and you'll find a few spots without too much trouble.

Good advice. You may also want to consider Steamboat Mountain Outfitters for a horse hunt. Horses will get you away from the crowds and into some great sheep country. PM me if you want some specifics.

Also, don't discount September for sheep hunting. The capes are much nicer in September, and there will still be lots of rams left.

ru rancher
01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Ranch ... is this out of Tatogga? Do you have a company name? Great pics of your rams btw - nice job !
Unfortunately I already have my LEH in ... Spat wasn't my first choice (but what do I know!?)

BS
yup was out of tatogga. and alpine lakes air i belive was the name.

GoatGuy
01-14-2014, 12:59 PM
More sheep to look at in 7b.

As a proportion there are generally more old rams in 6.

Andrewh
01-14-2014, 01:17 PM
BigSlapper, clear your pm box...

BigSlapper
01-14-2014, 03:56 PM
PM Box cleared .... sorry guys :)

BigSlapper, clear your pm box...

40incher
01-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Probably need your own plane to land at Bug. After that the rest is easy. Just follow the tail of Reg's horse. Good Luck.

Interesting, as Bug Lake is big enough for any plane for sure ... so I guess a deal has been made not to land there?

As for the last sentence, I would be in ahead of that situation ... heard he's a farter!

ru rancher
01-14-2014, 08:56 PM
no you can land there just the closest pilot doesnt land there because he doesnt want to desturb him cause he flys in all his clients

40incher
01-14-2014, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the clarification ... I kinda guessed that flying company wouldn't want to piss Reg off!

Head to Spatsizi!!! ... if they won't land you at Bug then Coldfish is only a few minutes walk on a horse trail farter (I mean farther) ... there are cabins to stay in for cheap that we all own.

BigSlapper
01-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks 40"er .... unfortunately I did not put my sheep LEH in for Spatzizi - and that entire area (Bug Lk to Culliver, etc) is LEH. Appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks for the clarification ... I kinda guessed that flying company wouldn't want to piss Reg off!

Head to Spatsizi!!! ... if they won't land you at Bug then Coldfish is only a few minutes walk on a horse trail farter (I mean farther) ... there are cabins to stay in for cheap that we all own.

BigSlapper
01-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Hearing a lot of good things about Stone Mtn Outfitters and Riverjet Adventures. Do any of you have experiences with these folks that you can share? (PM me if you like?)

BiG Boar
01-15-2014, 12:14 PM
I'm sure stone mountain outfitters is great! For $12,000 they should be! (Residents price)
riverjet also has it's advantages. Such as taking in more gear and being able to move part way through your trip. Plus packing out more weight than a plane I think.

srupp
01-15-2014, 01:06 PM
BigSlapper I sent you a PM however I also wanted to publically endorse without any hesitation Kevin and Riverjet Adventures..not just for my experience but for others who have also had excellent adventures with this service.

Both aircraft and jetboats will get you back away from some of the crowded areas.

cheers and good luck in whatever choice you make..straight shooting..

cheers
Steven

BigSlapper
01-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Now there is a "typo" .... should read Steamboat Mtn Outfitters
Doing so much frigging research they are all blending into one!

Hearing a lot of good things about Stone Mtn Outfitters and Riverjet Adventures. Do any of you have experiences with these folks that you can share? (PM me if you like?)

BigSlapper
01-16-2014, 03:52 PM
BigSlapper I sent you a PM however I also wanted to publically endorse without any hesitation Kevin and Riverjet Adventures..not just for my experience but for others who have also had excellent adventures with this service.

Both aircraft and jetboats will get you back away from some of the crowded areas.

cheers and good luck in whatever choice you make..straight shooting..

cheers
Steven
Thanks Steven ... PM received.
I'm a long time hunter but first time "stoner" ... thank you to all who are engaging in my search and research - I'm learning that there is an entire "sheep underground" out there!!!! Awesome.

604redneck
01-16-2014, 04:50 PM
alpine lakes air wont fly into bug as i know that much, if u wanted to u could try blue creek outfitters and they will drop the horses at any trail head in bc but u have to do all the work urself as u dont get a wrangler but u could always find someone and pay them to come with u to take care of the horses while u hunt