PDA

View Full Version : carbon vs. aluminium

austrian archer
02-11-2007, 01:43 PM
I have been using alum. shafts for a very long time and am considering carbon shafts. What are the pros and cons of using carbons for hunting?:confused:

oldtimer
02-11-2007, 04:37 PM
They don't get bent.!!! Mike

Sideofabarn
02-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Biggest Pro of carbons, as oldtimer said they don't get bent. As was once remarked to me, "they're either straight or they're broken".
Biggest Con: still has to be the price... not the sort of arrow to be flinging if you're chasing rabbits, and it gets lost or broken. Assuming you're concerned about that sort of thing

swamper
02-11-2007, 05:42 PM
The price difference is not so great any more. I used that price excuse for a long time, but now it is definitely more cost efficient to shoot carbons. At least they have a life span. And if you do happen to damage one, there is a very good chance that you can cut it down for someone who may be "draw length challenged."

huntwriter
02-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I have shot both carbon and aluminum and see not much difference. As has been said aluminum shafts bend but they can be straightened easy. Carbons have come a bit down in the price but they still breake and splinter if you hit anything else than the soft target or meat. For hunting I still use exclusively aluminum. I prefer the heft and weight they have. That’s just my personal preference and not based on field tests or science. :)

Bow Walker
02-12-2007, 10:26 AM
I have shot both carbon and aluminum and see not much difference. As has been said aluminum shafts bend but they can be straightened easy. Carbons have come a bit down in the price but they still breake and splinter if you hit anything else than the soft target or meat. For hunting I still use exclusively aluminum. I prefer the heft and weight they have. That’s just my personal preference and not based on field tests or science. :)
Sorry huntwriter - not true. Carbons are tough. They will blow completely through an animal without damaging themselves or breaking.

I have shot carbons into 4 X 4 posts and they have still been good to go after retrieval and inspection.

Onesock
02-12-2007, 12:09 PM
As for the weight, all you have to do is stuff the arrow with 1/4 poly rope to gain 100grs. The pro's are in favor of the carbon's.

oldtimer
02-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Dan I wasn't aware there was a season on 4X4's on the rock !! what did it score ?? LOL
I must admit I have done the same thing to pine trees, fir stumps etc. with nothing more than a damaged ego.
Mike

Kirby
02-12-2007, 05:27 PM
I have shot both carbon and aluminum and see not much difference. As has been said aluminum shafts bend but they can be straightened easy. Carbons have come a bit down in the price but they still breake and splinter if you hit anything else than the soft target or meat. For hunting I still use exclusively aluminum.

Have you shot carbons lately? I've shot aluminum for years hunting, competition, I tried carbons and didn't like them when they first came out, but after 18 years of shooting aluminums I switched to Carbons 2 years ago, without a doubt the best decision I made. They are WAY stronger than aluminums and anybody who says you can straighten aluminums I gotta meet, I did it lots but VERY rarely did I get it straight enough to shoot at anything other than stumps and ground squirrels.

Go Carbons, if you worried about the weight, get http://www.goldtip.com/products/product.asp?pid=52-1B322A7E-7016-49FE-9AB8-FC1F19D0C864&rnd=192997551

Kirby

Tinney
02-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Depends on what your bow likes as well....Mine doesn't like carbon arrows. I like them cause they're faster (tighter pins = less room for error) and they don't get bent, but I HATE how they shoot....I can't seem to find a carbon that my bow will tolerate....I never seem to get consistent groups much past 30m......so I stick with my 2315 aluminums, because I can consistently put them in a 4" circle at 50m....they just fly great.....moral of the story: Just cause everyone has carbons doesn't mean they perform any better....

Bow Walker
02-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Dan I wasn't aware there was a season on 4X4's on the rock !! what did it score ?? LOL
I must admit I have done the same thing to pine trees, fir stumps etc. with nothing more than a damaged ego.
Mike
Of course we do this on occasion and on purpose - just to test the shafts and/or the post integrity. Right Mike?:oops: :wink:

Nails
02-13-2007, 01:49 AM
AA For me I have used both carbons GT, bemans, pse and aluminiums 2317. I am seriously considering switching back to aluminiums (als). I'm a bowhunter first and not too worried about 3D score card.

I am shooting my Mathews Ovation with my old XX78 2317's for the first time with this bow, I'm very impressed with my groups. Als are straighter and carry the weight for bowhunting. Carbons are not as straight then als just look at the specs. Saying that, carbons have been generaly increasing their weight, I believe IMO arrow weight is needed as a good hunting arrow and most importantly having the straightest arrows possible.

Aluminiums deliver both straightness and weight, speed is not an issue with me. I totally agree carbons are more durable. :| :|

willyqbc
02-13-2007, 08:59 AM
the argument that aluminums are straighter no longer holds water...it used to be true but not anymore. take your arrows for example, the XX78 super slams have a straightness of .0015.....there are a lot of carbons out nowadays that have a straightness of .001, basically the high end arrows in most lines of carbons will go to .001. As for those who prefer a really heavy arrow for hunting...my gold tips come in at around 430 grains all dressed for hunting, with the addition of a weight tube and a little bigger broadhead i can easily take that up to the 550 grain range. There really is very little seperating the two types of arrows anymore when you consider that all else is basically equal the big difference is that Aluminums bend easily but can be repaired if you want to put in the effort, carbons are tougher but when they do get damaged they cannot be fixed....pros and cons for both....personal preference

Chris

Nails
02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Chris I appreciate your comment on straightness. The high end carbons you refer to are out of reach for me. Carbons that cost approx $300 a doz. You definitely get what you pay for, those arrows are hand picked to achieve that tolerance. For the average guy who uses carbons and als, I also agree it is choice. For the average carbons arrows straight tolerances are less than als, thats all I'm stating

GT are a good arrow. I use them now and they take a punishing. I just have some reservations that carbons are the best. Have we been sold a bill of goods?? Marketing is alive and well with archery tackle!! Carbon arrows have been increasing weight for hunting arrows it makes a much better hunting arrow. Also I don't want to be involved in an exploding carbon on release. (safety reminder, check your carbons to prevent this). Thanks for hearing me out.

The trads got it right, keeping it plan and simple.

huntwriter
02-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Have you shot carbons lately? I've shot aluminum for years hunting, competition, I tried carbons and didn't like them when they first came out, but after 18 years of shooting aluminums I switched to Carbons 2 years ago, without a doubt the best decision I made. They are WAY stronger than aluminums and anybody who says you can straighten aluminums I gotta meet, I did it lots but VERY rarely did I get it straight enough to shoot at anything other than stumps and ground squirrels.

Go Carbons, if you worried about the weight, get http://www.goldtip.com/products/product.asp?pid=52-1B322A7E-7016-49FE-9AB8-FC1F19D0C864&rnd=192997551

Kirby

Yes I have shot carbons at numerous times. It's not that I find them better or worse than aluminums. The only reason I still shoot aluminums are that I feel more comfortable with them and that I really see no need to change to something else if what I have does a good job and keeps me happy.:)

Kirby
02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Yes I have shot carbons at numerous times. It's not that I find them better or worse than aluminums. The only reason I still shoot aluminums are that I feel more comfortable with them and that I really see no need to change to something else if what I have does a good job and keeps me happy.:)

Very true. If it works why fix it?

Kirby

jessbennett
02-13-2007, 10:33 PM
nailz,

carbon arrows that boast .001 tolerances can be purchased for much less than 300 a dozen i can assure you. gold tip pro's are .001 and guaranteed to be +- 1 grain per dozen. usually about 110 to 125 bucks per dozen depending on where you get them.8)

jessbennett
02-13-2007, 10:33 PM
tinney, why cant you get carbons to fly for you????

jessbennett
02-13-2007, 10:35 PM
aluminum arrows

Tinney
02-13-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't even know man. They just never seem to fly right out of my bow. I bought some dominators, but they were over(?)spined....always shot 2" to the left no matter what I did. I had some 3-49/390 ACCs and shot a few good FITA scores with them but I never really liked them either....they always seemed prone to getting cracked or broken....and for the price, it didn't seem logical to keep shooting them....finally gave up shooting FITAs and went back to my aluminums.

jessbennett
02-13-2007, 10:46 PM
anyways as i was saying...... aluminum arrows can blow up on you too. alot of the time, a carbon arrow blows up on someone because they arent checking their shafts. also in this day and age, a person doesnt need a 600 grain arrow for hunting. every animal i have harvested with a bow, has been shot with a light carbon shaft most with expandable heads. all have been complete passthroughs. twice as strong as aluminum,economical, small diameter, flatter trajectory(generally speaking). what more in a hunting arrow could one ask for???? all my own opinion of course....8)

jessbennett
02-13-2007, 10:47 PM
what poundage are you shooting tinney???draw length????

Bow Walker
02-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Tinney - have you tried altering your center shot to bring your groups more to the center?

Tinney
02-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Yep. I am shooting a Martin Jag at 55# and 28" draw length. I have given up on carbon arrows and it will likely stay that way until I buy a Hoyt for next season :lol:

oldtimer
02-14-2007, 07:45 PM
A Hoyt !!!!! Another One To The Dark Side .. Roflmao Mike

TIKKA TIGER
02-14-2007, 11:00 PM
I agree with Kirby... I switched to carbons about 5 years ago and for the last 2 years I've shot Gold Tips. They are unbelievable. One of the best.
That's my opinion!!!
Cheers... :)

Tinney
02-15-2007, 11:29 AM
^^ Yeah but you're using a Pull Shoot Explode.....roflmao

TIKKA TIGER
02-15-2007, 01:49 PM
^^ Yeah but you're using a Pull Shoot Explode.....roflmao

There's 20 plus posts about peoples opinions on carbon vs. aluminum arrows on this thread and you come out bow bashing... that's MATURE!!! I see a trend that all blowies don't fill out there profile.
Cheers... :lol:

Tinney
02-15-2007, 02:05 PM
I shot one for years....never liked it.....I recently shot a Mojo....felt like it was going to fall apart in my hands....they make bad bows

Nails
02-15-2007, 02:32 PM
on this thread and you come out bow bashing... that's MATURE!!! I see a trend that all blowies don't fill out there profile.
Cheers... :lol:

I guess most people feel very confident about themselves on this site, they don't need to blow smoke about themselves. total uncalled for comment.

Just about everyones comments are well taken. I guess I could be wrong!!!!, Like I have said before I still shoot GT's, I still have reservations about carbons are better call me a sceptic.

Bow Walker
02-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Kris - try not to stir the pot, eh?

Tinney
02-15-2007, 04:54 PM
It's only an opinion....

CHilko21
02-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Depends on what your bow likes as well....Mine doesn't like carbon arrows. I like them cause they're faster (tighter pins = less room for error) and they don't get bent, but I HATE how they shoot....I can't seem to find a carbon that my bow will tolerate....I never seem to get consistent groups much past 30m......so I stick with my 2315 aluminums, because I can consistently put them in a 4" circle at 50m....they just fly great.....moral of the story: Just cause everyone has carbons doesn't mean they perform any better....

Kris, you have a martin jaguar right? That's the same bow I have, I've always shot carbons with it, never had a problem...then again, sights and rests and individual bows could have quite an impact

sealevel
02-15-2007, 08:32 PM
I shoot lots i love shooting ! so i can not aford to shoot alum. A dozen GT pro`s last many times longer a then a dozen alum. For hunting i use beeman black max at 10 grains per inch . and a straightness of 0003 at a hundred a dozen thats not much more then alum. and a way better. thats also my opionion

Eagle1
02-17-2007, 11:54 PM

Kirby
Carbons are the way to go, good xx75 or xx78 cost more than a dozen carbons, and it takes a lot to break a carbon,
I used to shoot aluminiums for years and when they bent 99% of the time I got them straight that I could even target shoot with them at 90 meteres, just need a little time and practise and a lot of patcences.I've even had good sucess on straighting ACC's.
If you ever come to a 3-D shoot bring your " ALCANS" and $ 5.00 an arrow and I'll straight them for you so as you can hunt with them.

jjl
04-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I use carbon fiber arrows and I like them

Bowzone_Mikey
04-24-2011, 10:53 PM
I use carbon fiber arrows and I like them

Can this be Nominated .... over 4 years

Bow Walker
04-24-2011, 10:55 PM
I guess most people feel very confident about themselves on this site, they don't need to blow smoke about themselves. total uncalled for comment.

Just about everyones comments are well taken. I guess I could be wrong!!!!, Like I have said before I still shoot GT's, I still have reservations about carbons are better call me a sceptic.

Todd, with your hunting success record you can shoot whatever you like. A those animals didn't seem to mind whether the arrows were carbons or aluminums.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Todd, with your hunting success record you can shoot whatever you like. A those animals didn't seem to mind whether the arrows were carbons or aluminums.

You are nominated too
for quoting and responding to post from Febuary 2007

Bow Walker
04-24-2011, 11:02 PM
ya know how when ya forget what happened yesterday but ya can remember real clear what happened lottsa years ago?

Bowzone_Mikey
04-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Its a sign of Dimentia my friend ....
Resident where my wife works is like that ... can recall stuff from 40 years ago like it was yesterday ... but has no short term memory ... cant recall stuff from 5 minutes ago...

Play sudoko and games like that ... proven to fight off the onset

Bow Walker
04-25-2011, 10:21 AM
not so much dementia, as senility. there's a cure for that too - i just forgot where i put the recipe...

Big Lew
04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Shot aluminum arrows for quite a few years and was happy with the tight groups I was achieving. Wayne, at "Big Game Archery"
talked me into trying carbon arrows and I've used them ever since. As for the cost, the carbons are lasting me way longer, and I don't have to have them straightened. I realize that the consistency and tight groups I'm achieving with the carbons, in comparison to when I shot aluminum's, is partly due to me becoming a better archer, but after seeing penetration and cross-wind advantages, when I decide to get new arrows, (for my new pse axe-6 ordered) I'll purchase modern carbons. There is a tremendous choice available now-a-days so you can tailor your weight preferences, including weight-forward technology.

sugar
04-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Anyone ever get a carbon piece stuck in their finger? Or meat then eat it?

Bow Walker
04-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Had a few carbon slivers in my fingers - no worse than a wooden sliver. Never had any in the game I've shot.

Just a thought here....

The title of the thread should be "Carbon or Alumininum", not 'vs'. Both have their positives. Both are better in certain situations.

kgriz
04-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Matched cedar shafts from my longbow kill things just as good as carbons out of my compound......dead's dead.
Are carbons "better" because you can shoot farther....like 90m at sheep? When you start to shoot really far or gain huge advantage with new higher tech gear that allows you be an OK archer sooner, maybe you should think about why you bowhunt in the first place....at 25m, I practice enough with gun or bow that the animals going to probably be dead no matter which I choose.....new technology isn't always "better" overall...its just different. That's not to say its bad to want to use new stuff to harvest animals under different seasons....its just not a question of better or not.

Phreddy
04-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Actually, the truth is that it's a talent that comes with age. It's called living in the "hereafter". "Now, what the hell did I come into this room after?" It's us old buzzards way of multitasking. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Besides, it's fun when I can drive my wife nuts like this.:mrgreen:

04-30-2011, 04:33 PM
I used aluminums in an archery course I took about 4 years ago. When I had my compound I was using Carbon Force 300's and then later on 200's on a different bow. I preferred the carbons. They flew nice and worked well for me. Not that the aluminums didn't, but the fact that they stay staright is a big factor.

358win
05-02-2011, 05:20 PM
I always got a better group with carbons over aluminum arrows. I thought aluminum was a thing of the past until I read this thread. Apparently they are still used.
Poll time?

BiG Boar
05-03-2011, 12:27 PM
My newest arrows are both. Easton Full Metal Jackets. Not sure what they are better or worse for, but they fly really good.

The Hermit
05-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Try the modern carbons that are internally tapered and balanced for a natural FOC distribution, much stronger, straighter, and sexier looking than the the old carbons. Premium competition arrows made by the big name players run from $175 - $300+ dozen for bare shafts. Try the Darkhorse Studs from Darkhorse Archery (Canada's Arrow Company) at $130/dozen they are excellent value for money! Happy to ship you a dozen anywhere in BC for $135.

Bow Walker
05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
I own and have used the Darkhorse shafts. They are very good. But....

For that kind of money I can get 2 dozen Gold Tips to my door. Call me cheap or whatever, but GT's are also a very, very good shaft. Been using them for over 12 years now.

First Up
05-21-2011, 07:46 AM
I have shot carbon shafts for many years and for me they are the best. I am 100% confident that they are straight and true. Aluminum shafts always left me in doubt after I shot with them at anything but a target backstop.