PDA

View Full Version : Peace Region Cow Elk Draw

Elkiller
01-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Got the limited entry cow elk draw this year, looking for a tasty cow to put on the table. Having trouble finding farmers that will let you hunt them on your land. If you know some one with elk and they're willing to let hunters on their land give me a shout. Tap-er cool :mrgreen:

brutus
01-12-2014, 07:19 PM
buddys of mine got there cow on crown land couple weeks ago seen two herds of about thirty to forty

srupp
01-12-2014, 08:06 PM
hmmm ...same situation guess 2499 other hunters got in picked through or as in a couple examples ruined the invitation...still looking also...

cheers

Elkless in the Pond....,

shelg
01-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Try the cattleman's association.

odie1830
01-13-2014, 12:40 AM
Finally heading up on jan 20th as me and my hunting partner drew cow elk draws. It should be a lot of fun , will be the first time hunting elk for both of us.

huff
01-13-2014, 03:51 AM
Finally heading up on jan 20th as me and my hunting partner drew cow elk draws. It should be a lot of fun , will be the first time hunting elk for both of us.

I'm going up there at the end of the month for a cow elk.. keep us posted.

Swamp mule
01-13-2014, 10:52 PM
well boys and girls. There is about just over 3 to 4 feet of snow out there right now. The wind is howling and gusting up towards 80km for the projected two days. Major drifts occurring right now on the roads that are perpendicular. The temps are rising. projected to be highs of 6-8 above with warm to -2 nights for the next 5-7days. this is really going to melt and settle the snow. this is going to make things interesting in getting to areas and retrieving your elk. I talked to one rancher last week and they stated that you would require snowshoes and/or snowmobile to access or retrieve your elk since the snow is considerably deep. Don't bother with the hutterites as they have not see any elk on their colony farms. The snow is so deep that they stated that any farmer that still has hay in the field now require bulldozers to access these haybales. now that brings me to the next point, for those that will be coming up here and travel around. MAKE note of any fields that contain haybales, if not brought in and sniffed out by the elk, they will find them. Note where the field is and ask around to see who is the farmer. Concentrate around some of the river bottoms as you may find them there. Enjoy and good luck.

Jetboat
01-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Swamp mule is correct. Up in the northern part of Zone A, we have easily over four feet of snow on the ground and drifts are way deeper, hiding ditches and holes. My trapper friends are having a heck of a workout breaking line trails with sleds and for us who have to reach well heads, pipeline risers, etc. it's damn challenging. The moose are dragging their bellies and I've seen herds of deer feeding in fields where all you can see of them is half their sides, heads & necks. Better have a retrieval plan before you bust a primer. So be a good boy scout and come prepared. Good luck & straight shooting.

srupp
01-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks GENTLEMEN appreciate the update...

cheers

Steven

moosinaround
01-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks GENTLEMEN appreciate the update...

cheers

Steven
Steven, the snowpack will settle quite a bit this week, with the weather being warm and all! I'm heading up in 3 weeks, gonna give the road guys time to Plow drifts!!

Call of the Wild
01-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Yes it's brutal out there. I went hunting Friday and did get a cow in some hills. What a brutal workout hauling the quarters out on my back. Deep snow!!

Also on my way to work there's one herd that feeds on some bails in a field. They are totally noctunal, driving at last light they're no where to be seen but at six in the morning I can count over twelve sets of eyes in the field with the flashlight. So they know how to play the game and hide quite well.

odie1830
01-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys, 5 more sleeps and i will be on my way up ! Geez i feel like a kid waiting for christmas morning.

Bear Chaser
01-14-2014, 10:27 PM
I had to shovel my way out to a flare stack today. Close to 4 feet of settled snow. As was mentioned killing them is the easy part on a year like this. Retrieval will be tough even with a sled or a tractor.