PDA

View Full Version : Newby with a couple questions

Beaves84
01-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Hi folks

Newby to the forum and water fowling. Unfortunately hunting skipped a generation and I never got a chance to go with my grandfather so everything I'm doing is new. I have a couple questions regarding hunting fields that are holding water as they are right now. Luckily I have found a couple f fields that I have permission to hunt so. 1) the ducks are in the middle of the fields as I'm sure they have all had a couple thousand pieces of steel screaming past their heads. How might you suggest I set up a blind as there is no natural cover within what I feel is good shooting distance? 2) what might you suggest for a decoy pattern as I only have a half dozen decoys?

Thanks Beaves

NitwiT
01-13-2014, 05:40 AM
hard to answer that Beaves, layout blind, dug in blind, depends on what you have available. As to the half dozen decoys, consider picking up more, and try set them up in a "u" with the open side facing the wind. Hard to do with so few, but good luck

ps. we need a joke from you, rules is rules...

Beaves84
01-13-2014, 11:13 AM
What do you call a nun in a wheel chair?

TheProvider
01-13-2014, 11:41 AM
More decoys may help but a smaller spread might be very welcoming to them. I imagine they have definately been shot at by now. Your going to want to setup exsctly where they are hanging out. Is there enough standing water that you are hunting them on the water or are there simply puddles all over. Close as possible to where the ducks where. Find a dip or hollow in the ground, layout blind or a sheet to lay on and to cover you. Depending on weather if its fogging or dark and raining I would probably out the decoys in two clusters Enough room in between clusters for the ducks to land. Put the clusters out front of where your laying. After the first flock of ducks come in you will be able to tell if you need to rearrange your decoys.

With that few of decoys with then being in clusters the will be much more visible than in a u or j. Nothing worse than having the forst flock land just out of gun range or 100yrds away. The rest of the flocks will follow them

Beaves84
01-13-2014, 01:52 PM
As of yesterday the field was completely submerged other than some brambles upon the dyke so I guess setting up a ground blind or layout would be best, they seemed to be at the far end of my preferred range but I am guessing that decoys may bring them closer.

Thanks for the tips on decoy placement I'll give it a try once I figure out a blind situation, I may wait for the water to drop a little so I can mess around without submerging myself.

Also does anyone know were I may be able to get helpful hints or instructions on proper calling other than YouTube? I'm looking for some helpful "constructive criticism"

bandit
01-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Also does anyone know were I may be able to get helpful hints or instructions on proper calling other than YouTube? I'm looking for some helpful "constructive criticism"

Don't try to learn duck calling at the end of the season! The ducks will be wise and anything that sounds wrong will more than likely scare them off. Early season they are less wise and your sounds don't need to be so sharp.

The ducks unlimited USA website has some good tips. But your best bet is to listen to real ducks. Go to your local duck pond or the Refiel Sanctuary and listen to them talking to each other. You will learn far more than YouTube could ever teach you!

albravo2
01-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Beaves,

I'm a frustrated newbie too. There is a free Android app for duck calling and another one for goose calling. You can listen to the app, then try to replicate the sound with your own call.

I haven't exactly become proficient but I know the only way to improve is to keep calling. Wife doesn't agree.

f350ps
01-31-2014, 08:20 PM
hard to answer that Beaves, layout blind, dug in blind, depends on what you have available. As to the half dozen decoys, consider picking up more, and try set them up in a "u" with the open side facing the wind. Hard to do with so few, but good luck

ps. we need a joke from you, rules is rules...
Not what I would do but to each his own I guess! Personally I would set up with the wind at yer back and the open side of the pocket downwind. K

lorneparker1
01-31-2014, 10:24 PM
Not what I would do but to each his own I guess! Personally I would set up with the wind at yer back and the open side of the pocket downwind. K

I guess we are the weird ones