PDA

View Full Version : Goat Hunt with a strange surprise ending

dogboy
01-11-2014, 03:52 PM
A good self film hunt but the end had me banging my head against the desk preparing to read the thousands of comments :)
http://youtu.be/ASvMeZTr1MU

BigfishCanada
01-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Was that its baby beside it????? Are they actually aloud to kill a mom with baby???????

Stone Sheep Steve
01-11-2014, 04:32 PM
No kiddin.....:?.

SSS

Wentrot
01-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Uhhh........

Hammerhead
01-11-2014, 05:08 PM
That was different!! Anyone notice that first goat in the film, loos like its right horn tip is facing forward.
HH

Geo.338
01-11-2014, 05:10 PM
This hunt was in Utah . A quick search of their regs shows that they are all by draw and some are female only . No mention of goats in the company of kids .

sawmill
01-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Oh my.................

RiverOtter
01-11-2014, 05:13 PM
That was different!! Anyone notice that first goat in the film, loos like its right horn tip is facing forward.
HH
I caught that, almost looked like a prong horn....

goatdancer
01-11-2014, 05:47 PM
HH

That's a goatalope.........

eastkoot
01-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Way to go **shole, you just shot a nanny with a kid.. Big on you!!!

Ghillie
01-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Way to go **shole, you just shot a nanny with a kid.. Big on you!!!
Its time to stop posting.

BiG Boar
01-11-2014, 07:31 PM
"At one point there were almost no goats here!"
"It's a once in a lifetime hunt!"
"I'll never get this draw again so I don't care if I even have to take a nanny!"

coach
01-11-2014, 08:29 PM
"At one point there were almost no goats here!"
"It's a once in a lifetime hunt!"
"I'll never get this draw again so I don't care if I even have to take a nanny!"

Unbelievably selfish.

BiG Boar
01-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Not too many years ago this was legal in BC though, and I'm sure it happened here. It's not even that I don't think the baby would die without the mother, it's the fact that they have such a poor recruitment rate and when it's a once in a life time draw, that probably means there isn't an over abundance of them.

SteepCountry
01-11-2014, 08:46 PM
So now you guys are experts on American conservation too. Without reading any facts you start crying. Good thing it wasn't a cougar you all would need therapy.

monasheemountainman
01-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Why does it matter what country it's in? Is it ok to shoot a nanny with a kid, just because they are American? Guy was a tool

Geo.338
01-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Just over the border in Washington the Olympic peninsula has a population of introduce goats that are overrunning the land and decimating the local flora and fauna , there has been talk of a major cull. The hunt you watched on you tube are also introduce goats . When man in all their wisdom tries to do what they think is in the best interest of the animals sometimes it backfires .

The fact that this is a once in a lifetime hunt probably speaks to the fact that in the US there is 100 times the hunting pressure and demand on the species in question .

The guy din't break any laws . The kid was probably at least two years old and will probably be fine .

Caribou_lou
01-11-2014, 11:59 PM
The guy din't break any laws . The kid was probably at least two years old and will probably be fine .

I would bet my left nut that the kid isn't 2 years of age!

Myself, I wouldn't shoot a nanny with a kid. But if its legal, its legal.

decker9
01-12-2014, 02:45 AM
I don't care about their rules and regs, I'd Kik the *** right squere in the junk! F'in looser.

emerson
01-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Antis feel the same way about gun owners.

J_T
01-12-2014, 05:42 AM
Just in a simplistic sense the video does provide a good example of the difference between pursuit with bow vs rifle.

Rhyno
01-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Whether it was legal or not I can't comprehend shooting a nanny with a kid! That said, I am sure plenty of cow elk, moose and does are shot in the company of young here in BC. Maybe not a fair comparison due to the difference in recruitment, etc.

RiverOtter
01-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Can't say I'm in agreement with what the guy did, but the fact is, it's their land their law......

Caribou_lou
01-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Whether it was legal or not I can't comprehend shooting a nanny with a kid! That said, I am sure plenty of cow elk, moose and does are shot in the company of young here in BC. Maybe not a fair comparison due to the difference in recruitment, etc.

Well said.

davet
01-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Good Video, great stalk on that one goat.
My 2'c is that if he decided to use his rifle why not go after a Billy?

markt308
01-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Too bad about the outcome. it was a really well edited movie though! Makes me want to take my videos to the next level

Gateholio
01-12-2014, 12:18 PM
What a weird way to hunt goats. He actively pursues what is obviously nannies and kids with his bow, can't get it done then swaps to a rifle to shoot a nanny with a kid?? Most goat hunters I know would have just gone somewhere else to look for a billy, on day one.

Onesock
01-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Maybe his tag was only good for a nanny???

Stone Sheep Steve
01-12-2014, 12:58 PM
At one point after the first stalk he called it a "she" in his first referral to the goat...then 2 seconds later he called it a "he". Maybe he couldn't tell the difference on the first goat but he sure as hell knew what he was shooting.

In his defence, I did find this info on the Utah State hunting regulations. The online course has expired but you will notice the title is called........... "
Rocky Mountain Goat Hunt Female Only - Orientation Course and Exam"

https://dwrapps.utah.gov/wex/examBorder.jsp?content=loginForm.jsp&formstat=0

We have most of the world's Mtn goat population here in BC. Not sure what to think of their State's approach on this one.

dana
01-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Typical comments from the people who know nothing about what they are talking about. Willard Peak is pretty cool feature where this mountain pretty much just rises out of a very very flat land. It ain't overly big. Goats were transplanted there and they have a very limited range as goats don't normally like all the flat land directly under them. The goat herd has done exceptional but because it is such a small area, nanny harvest is a must. This is why the State hands out Nanny Only tags. The area is OIL as there are a ton of people applying for the tags. It makes our Kamloops Sheep odds look very good. He makes the comment at the end of the video that the herd has done so well that they have used them for Transplants in many other areas. But there is only so many places to transplant and so much money to go around to achieve this. So what would you have them do? Not harvest nannies and have the entire herd be at risk of dying due to over population??? This is exactly why there is a ewe harvest in Kamloops. And exactly why they are now opening up a bunch more tags for both ewes and rams. Kamloops has been a good herd for transplants as well, but guess what, they too have no where to transplant them and no money for it either. Sooo, are we going to see a bunch of whiners on HBC when you see someone post of ewe pics next year??? Do you actually support conservation or do you just think you support conservation. Having herds above the carrying capacity is not conservation.

coach
01-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Good points, Dana. I guess I really should re-think my original comment. Perhaps his decision wasn't selfish - based on the goat population in the zone he was hunting. It's definitely different than how we do things in BC. Good thread starter by the OP. Lots of lively discussion - as to be expected.

Gateholio
01-12-2014, 01:41 PM
If it's a nanny only tag, he must have killed the correct animal. Would have been good to include all the info in the video though. While I'm not against shooting nannies where applicable, it still strikes me as odd to shoot one with a kid in tow.

40incher
01-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Might as well have shot the kid too ... Starvation is a shitty way to die.

dogboy
01-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Well we have a doe season as well, but i sure hope people don't shoot down does next to there fawns Or shoot bears next to there cubs. I understand mistakes are made but I really hope us hunters don't intentionally do it on purpose.

finaddict
01-12-2014, 05:48 PM
How sure are you that the kid will starve? I don't know too much about goat life cycle, but it certainly looked to be an older kid and possibly weened.

Thank you Dana for clearing the air for this hunt and this area.

Brez
01-12-2014, 05:57 PM
I completely agree with everyone on this thread. I would NEVER, knowingly, shoot a nanny - in company of kid or not, but in this situation, the circumstance may require for nannies and kids to be culled, much like the cow elk kill in the Koots was deemed required. The video was well done , but the information was lacking. Since the poster, was from the B.C. Okanagan, one would have expected that such a video, with the associated dialogue, would have been better explained.
For me, the video was disturbing, but that is entirely a personal view, and not logically or scientifically based in relation to this specific case.

E.V.B.H.
01-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Well we have a doe season as well, but i sure hope people don't shoot down does next to there fawns Or shoot bears next to there cubs. I understand mistakes are made but I really hope us hunters don't intentionally do it on purpose.

people definitely shoot does and cows with fawns/calfs, but if they are weaned they are fine on their own and have a very high survival rate.

dana
01-12-2014, 06:28 PM
This is not a BC video. The poster just posted up a link to a video which was actually from Utah. No info was required because those in Utah and surrounding States are well aware of the Nanny Only draws. There obviously is confusion on HBC though. OP should have put this thread in the Out Of Province forum or Video forum. It does not belong in the Mainland BC forum. You would think the Mod that viewed it and commented on it would have moved it to the right forum. ;)

BiG Boar
01-12-2014, 06:30 PM
The guy in the video doesn't say it's a nanny only hunt. And he implies it being a he, which to the viewer, like us, leaves us wondering if this is and nanny only hunt or not. It makes us wonder if he even knows if it is a female. Since it's against the law in our part of the country it seems wrong. Just like in many states it's illegal to shoot from a dirt road. They get mad at our videos when we post them, because it's wrong and unethical in their part of the world. So I guess it's all relative.

One thing that surprises me is that on our LEH it says any goat any age.

Muliechaser
01-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Wow ok. It doesnt matter how each individual looks at this sure we all have our own outllook on things but again it is legal were he is,, the key is being legal. Nwxt thing you know we will get people complaining that somebody shot a 3 point mule deer amd that its wrong becuase only THEY wouldnt do that and that THEY dont beleive in shooting anything smaller than a 4 point. Everybody is entiteled to an opinion. But just becuase u think its wrong even tho its legal doesnt make u right

Its legal thats it. Its over get over it.

Brez
01-12-2014, 06:44 PM
The guy in the video doesn't say it's a nanny only hunt. And he implies it being a he, which to the viewer, like us, leaves us wondering if this is and nanny only hunt or not. It makes us wonder if he even knows if it is a female. Since it's against the law in our part of the country it seems wrong. Just like in many states it's illegal to shoot from a dirt road. They get mad at our videos when we post them, because it's wrong and unethical in their part of the world. So I guess it's all relative.

One thing that surprises me is that on our LEH it says any goat any age.
I believe that since it can be so hard to tell a nanny from a billy or kid and difficult to tell how big they are, because they are so proportional, it makes no sense to make hunters criminals because of natural mistakes. I think that is why the regs are worded the way they are and they are relying on hunters to inform themselves and be more diligent when deciding when to pull the trigger.

guywitha270
01-12-2014, 11:15 PM
If you get a cow/calf draw, you see a gorgeous big cow with a calf in tow. What are you gonna do?

Gateholio
01-13-2014, 12:23 AM
If you get a cow/calf draw, you see a gorgeous big cow with a calf in tow. What are you gonna do?

I believe they request that you shoot the calf rather than the cow.

Mulehahn
01-13-2014, 12:28 AM
Judging from his reaction, and the video is still posted, the only issue it being in the company of a kid. He took the trophy he wanted, after looking over several. I don't understand the issue. Also, as I understand it, it is legal to harvest nannies in BC as long as they are not in the company of a kid. A slight change in regulations pertaining to area and people lose it. As for the above post, shoot the calf.