PDA

View Full Version : Gitxan territory moose population down

kilometers
01-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Good to see
Looks like the gitxan is concerned about the moose population, and is trying to cut back on the native winter moose hunt

http://i41.tinypic.com/9g97ba.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/156g553.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qb9cb7.jpg

threedhunter
01-09-2014, 04:26 PM
If the GITXAN had not winter killed the cows in the 80/90 era, there would be many more moose in their area today. I lived in the area then and reported at least 17 cows shot and only the calf removed from the gut, and told as it was a FN kill they could not do anything about it. NOW YOU PAY FOR YOUR WANTON DESTRUCTION and disregard for your future.

sawmill
01-09-2014, 04:39 PM
WHAT A GIANT LOAD OF SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Those poaching ,thieving,game and fish destroyers should be shot on sight.
I lived there(Hazelton) for 15 years and never have I seen such complete and utter waste and slaughter.Azzholes shooting and selling 50-75 moose to sell,nets with hundreds of sockeye ripped lose and drifting down the Skeena because they sold a bunch and got likkered up for 3 days and never checked them,throwing hundreds of dead pink salmon back just to catch the last 4 sockeye of the run,ripping the guts out of salmon at Morricetown using gaffs because it was more fun than dipnets.
They almost destroyed the steelhead and coho runs.
They single handedly destroyed a great moose population to the point where the season is only 6 days now "due to the gross underestimation of the native harvest"That`s a quote from the Gov.
Ban me,i don`t care but those stinking lying basterds should be shot and pissed on.I`m going hunting there next fall just so I can kick the living F out of the first one who pulls this with me.

pnbrock
01-09-2014, 05:30 PM
sawmill for primeminister!!!!!!!

eric
01-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Sawmill's got it RIGHT

longrifle
01-09-2014, 06:31 PM
IBTL!!!!!!!!!!!!

'rifle

Stresd
01-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Sawmill is gross! I dont really want to be associated with a group that condones hateful, violent rhetoric like that.

You have a problem with people telling the Truth?? Facts are Facts no matter how you state them. I've seen first hand what Sawmill has described. That it is still allowed to happen today, is what I find Gross.

white moose
01-09-2014, 06:38 PM
I worked on the Hagwilget bridge last year in Hazelton, on the night shift. We had traffic control there and one night around 2am, there was a pickup with a steaming cow moose in the back. Pissed me off.

Caribou_lou
01-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Well this is a start. Should be province wide and with every species. Then ministry wouldn't have to guess at the Native kill number every season.

They are encouraging the natives to harvest Bulls also. Which might come back to bite the resident Hunters seasons that are already in place.

finngun
01-09-2014, 08:11 PM
sawmill for primeminister!!!!!!! yes-yes when is he starting:confused::mrgreen:

Everett
01-09-2014, 08:23 PM
WHAT A GIANT LOAD OF SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Those poaching ,thieving,game and fish destroyers should be shot on sight.
I lived there(Hazelton) for 15 years and never have I seen such complete and utter waste and slaughter.Azzholes shooting and selling 50-75 moose to sell,nets with hundreds of sockeye ripped lose and drifting down the Skeena because they sold a bunch and got likkered up for 3 days and never checked them,throwing hundreds of dead pink salmon back just to catch the last 4 sockeye of the run,ripping the guts out of salmon at Morricetown using gaffs because it was more fun than dipnets.
They single handedly destroyed a great moose population to the point where the season is only 6 days now "due to the gross underestimation of the native harvest"That`s a quote from the Gov.
Ban me,i don`t care but those stinking lying basterds should be shot and pissed on.I`m going hunting there next fall just so I can kick the living F out of the first one who pulls this with me.

Well said Joe any Mod who would ban you for speaking the truth needs a kick in the ass.

Cordillera
01-09-2014, 08:39 PM
No matter how wrong the original statement was (First Nations banning hunting is ignorant) and how much we agree it is stupid, the response was over the top. One should be careful not lower the dialogue to the gutter just because your opponent is there.

blackwater moose
01-09-2014, 08:45 PM
sometimes things need to be said, political correctness aside. Sawmill is right on the money, he has my vote for P.M.

r106
01-09-2014, 08:52 PM

If I ever meet you in person, I will buy you a beer

moosinaround
01-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Sawmill, you need a hunting partner, ill film it for posterity!!!

Caribou_lou
01-09-2014, 10:11 PM
People may be misunderstanding the original post. I believe the ban is for the natives. They have to obtain a permit to hunt moose. Not suppose to go out and shoot cows and calves. They are being encouraged to hunt bulls. This is what has been going on with the Nisga last few years. If they do harvest only bulls, I believe it will put our 7day open season in region 6 for moose at risk. Which falls right into the ministries plan of getting rid of our open season. From what I can tell they have been truing to do for the last couple years.

sawmill
01-10-2014, 07:59 AM
It doesn't say natives ,it says hunters.And I agree,I got to foaming at the mouth there a bit but,Christ,if you saw what I have seen you would agree that "Stewards of the Land" crap is exactly that.Crap.I lived there when the Oka crisis was going on.All the natives in the Hazeltons went on the warpath,threatening white families of the loggers,burning the Kispiox bridge,blockading roads,vandalizing equipment.When it was legal to sell the gall from a legaly harvested bear they were shooting blacks like rabbits and only taking the galls.Shooting pregnant cow moose for the fetuses and leaving the whole cow to rot,apperently it`s some ancient ceremonial thing.Bullshit,the first moose ever seen there wasn`t until about 1920`s.

Good luck trying to mess with legal non native hunters boys.

Caribou_lou
01-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Oh I believe you sawmill. Not questioning anything that your saying. This is the first I've heard of this if it is for all Hunters.

sako_300
01-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Oh I believe you sawmill. Not questioning anything that your saying. This is the first I've heard of this if it is for all Hunters.

Read the post carefully - it says "all hunters" NOT "all FN hunters".

This could get ugly.

Big Lew
01-10-2014, 09:44 AM
I don't doubt that what "sawmill" describes didn't, or isn't happening to some extent even now. That area has always been one of the most hostile areas in BC, but as in most communities there's also good, law abiding, and friendly people. I haven't lived there like "sawmill" but have traveled and stayed in the area several times and met some nice people amongst the unfriendly ones. When I bicycled through there in 1994 the RCMP stopped me for a chat and advised me not to camp near S Hazelton or Moricetown for my own protection. When I first came there it was as easy as going to the local bar to buy a moose for $50. You could even put in an order ahead of time regardless of the time of year. Part of the problem though is the Non-Native hypocrites that complain about Natives selling fish and game, and then willingly stand in line to buy it. What goes around, comes around...now they have little left for anybody.

skibum
01-10-2014, 10:36 AM
not that this kind of thing wouldn't get me royally pissed off but......

it is a screen shot of someone's phone -

Brno22F
01-10-2014, 11:00 AM
New to this forum. Just a few days in fact. I am a long time resident of New Hazelton and currently living here. I read this thread last night and frankly the first post showing the facebook conversation had me boiling over. I was up late composing a response to it but decided to sleep on it a bit and do it this morning.

There is a lot of BS out here on the interweb and we have just been treated to a big heaping pile of it. My advice to all who have read the first post in this thread is to consider the source. An idiot with an internet connection spouting off and quite successfully pissing off a lot of people.

He has absolutely no power or authority to charge fees or sell hunting licenses or register non-native hunters and neither does his band office. He is a goof with a keyboard FFS. Like I said, consider the source.

kilometers
01-10-2014, 11:24 AM
New to this forum. Just a few days in fact. I am a long time resident of New Hazelton and currently living here. I read this thread last night and frankly the first post showing the facebook conversation had me boiling over. I was up late composing a response to it but decided to sleep on it a bit and do it this morning.

There is a lot of BS out here on the interweb and we have just been treated to a big heaping pile of it. My advice to all who have read the first post in this thread is to consider the source. An idiot with an internet connection spouting off and quite successfully pissing off a lot of people.

He has absolutely no power or authority to charge fees or sell hunting licenses or register non-native hunters and neither does his band office. He is a goof with a keyboard FFS. Like I said, consider the source.

Thanks for joining HBC.
Yes this is a screen shot. I posted hoping to get more info. We will just have to wait for an official release from the gitxsan. I hope it might get run like the Nass area where the natives apply for a tag by lottery. Either way it should discourage some native harvest in the area. And any control Is better then the previous no control no records attitude.
I live in terrace and have many storeys of poochers. Native and non native. Really eerks me when A white boy says I had my brown skins on when I got it.

sawmill
01-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Welcome Brno22F.You are right about pissing people off,I should have slept on it too,although as a resident you probably know what I said is true.How is New Town these days?I heard Joiner shut down the pub.God,wish I had all the money back that I spent in there back in the day!

Brno22F
01-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Hey Sawmill,
This place has changed incredibly since Skeena Cellulose closed in 2001. A lot of the small businesses you would remember are closed including Kal Tire and the Copperside grocery store.

Despite the efforts of the Gitxsan to regulate their own, it has not been very successful. It is a start however and we can only hope that the "unregulated moose harvest" is voluntarily curtailed so that populations can rebound.
I was out for a coyote hunt on the 15th of Dec and there was a crew loading the last quarter of a moose into their truck at 50km on the Kispiox road at 8:00am. The time of day gives a pretty good indication that it was shot using the aid of artificial illumination. That is what got me all pumped when I read the post.

There are those in the Gitxsan, Gitanyow and Nisg'a communities who are working to change attitudes and stop the moose population decline. Lets hope they have some success.