PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops Area Trappers

russm86
01-09-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm quite interested in all the outdoors stuff, love hunting and fishing, and have become quite curious about trapping. I have hunted and fished for 15+ years and am always looking for more ways to enjoy the outdoors and get off the couch, however I already have a full time job, sometimes more, and don't really have the time for another one which I think trapping is (more than just a weekend hobby). I was thinking of doing the trapper education course, kinda just for the heck of it and cause more knowledge has never really hurt anyone, but I was thinking before forking out the cash and taking time off work for that it would be kinda nice to just get a little taste of what trapping really is (also, I learn more and quicker from hands on rather than reading books). So, if anyone with a trapline in the Kamloops area is willing and able, I'd really appreciate the opportunity to tag along with or shadow someone out on their trapline and/or in the shop (skinning / fleshing / boarding etc), I am also willing to try to learn and do my part in helping (if possible) if that helps sweeten the pot for you and I expect nothing (other than the experience and knowledge) in return. I am available Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays. Thanks.

Jagermeister
01-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Most trappers get along their lines via snowmobile. If you don't have one at your disposal, you might not get an invite as a trapper is not likely wanting to double anyone.
You may want to peruse this site.
http://www.bctrappers.bc.ca/
There is a forum so that would be a good place to post your request.

russm86
01-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Yea, I was kinda wondering about the whole snowmobile thing... Unfortunately I only have a quad... I thought maybe someone might have a second that I could tag along behind on and I'd be more than happy to pay for the extra fuel and stuff... I have had a quick look at that site, I actually ordered the education manual from them today, haven't had a chance to read through the forum much yet though.

Jagermeister
01-09-2014, 11:41 PM
If you can find someone to accompany, you could always rent a machine off Peter at Variable Rentals. He has some 'doo Tundras. You will get by with a 16" track. It will be easier for a novice to sidehill and slalom around trees. You will need snowshoes too.

Pete
01-10-2014, 08:10 AM
I'm quite interested in all the outdoors stuff, love hunting and fishing, and have become quite curious about trapping. I have hunted and fished for 15+ years and am always looking for more ways to enjoy the outdoors and get off the couch, however I already have a full time job, sometimes more, and don't really have the time for another one which I think trapping is (more than just a weekend hobby). I was thinking of doing the trapper education course, kinda just for the heck of it and cause more knowledge has never really hurt anyone, but I was thinking before forking out the cash and taking time off work for that it would be kinda nice to just get a little taste of what trapping really is (also, I learn more and quicker from hands on rather than reading books). So, if anyone with a trapline in the Kamloops area is willing and able, I'd really appreciate the opportunity to tag along with or shadow someone out on their trapline and/or in the shop (skinning / fleshing / boarding etc), I am also willing to try to learn and do my part in helping (if possible) if that helps sweeten the pot for you and I expect nothing (other than the experience and knowledge) in return. I am available Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays. Thanks.

PM has been sent Cheers

russm86
01-10-2014, 08:51 AM
If you can find someone to accompany, you could always rent a machine off Peter at Variable Rentals. He has some 'doo Tundras. You will get by with a 16" track. It will be easier for a novice to sidehill and slalom around trees. You will need snowshoes too.

I'd be happy to go this route too and I do already have snowshoes.