PDA

View Full Version : Anybody shoot at a Ram in the EK?

Ddog
01-09-2014, 12:38 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_0922_zpsf826df4f.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/DDOGGY/media/IMG_0922_zpsf826df4f.jpg.html)
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/DDOGGY/IMG_0927_zpsa86ee132.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/DDOGGY/media/IMG_0927_zpsa86ee132.jpg.html)

pretty sure its a bullet hole in his horn, pictures were taken near the bull river

ru rancher
01-09-2014, 12:40 PM
well thats not good to see!

bruin
01-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Fresh wound or old?

Ddog
01-09-2014, 12:43 PM
so many scenarios on what happened, ya just never know unless you were there or were the shooter,, but i can say it must have hurt if it is actually a bullet,
i cant think of what else it could be though,
fresh or old? who knows.. the picture was taken after the season in the wintering zone.

coach
01-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Interesting. Great pic, Ddog. Was this ram living in an area with a GOS for sheep?

TheProvider
01-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Hole in thw back of his left curl aswell. I only noticed his back at first

Ddog
01-09-2014, 12:58 PM
i was talking about the hole in the horn,, never really noticed the dark patch on his back,,i think its just his hair..
should of made that more clear i guess.
after going back and looking at the pictures it sure does look like there is wetness on his back, both sides,,hmm,, maybe another wound

TheProvider
01-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Haha looks like a wound on my phone. Easier to see on a comp

Ddog
01-09-2014, 01:10 PM
ya,, its quite a popular hunting spot when the sheep are open , chances are someone spent alot of time glassing him, then hiking into range and getting a shot only to have him get away, wish we knew the whole story

Stone Sheep Steve
01-09-2014, 01:25 PM
That's just a CO's decoy. They removed the aluminum plug so poachers would think he's alive;-).

Those horns are made for absorbing tremendous impacts. Probably had a good headache , though.

SSS

MadCat
01-09-2014, 03:49 PM
I heard it was a guy on opening day last season but you know how rumors go

d6dan
01-09-2014, 04:11 PM
That's just a CO's decoy. They removed the aluminum plug so poachers would think he's alive;-).

Those horns are made for absorbing tremendous impacts. Probably had a good headache , though.

SSS

or maybe he's still packing a piece of lead.

Jim Prawn
01-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Definitely legal DDog?
I originally noticed the patch on his back as well, looks like a wound. Definitely a bullet hole in his horn though. Somebodies choked!
JP

srupp
01-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Wow.... now that's just one awesome photo....someone must have been upset after how close and yet no cigar...

Ddog
01-09-2014, 08:16 PM
that ram sure looked legal close up,, i am not a sheep hunter though and have not spent a lot of time even looking at legal sheep other than what peoples have posted,,
ill look and see what other photos i have of him

Big Lew
01-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I've looked through pictures of dozens of mature rams and not seen one that had a similar large dark indent on their back like that one. The only ones that were close were during shedding which wouldn't be that time of year or that very dark colour. I would guess it is a bullet wound as well.

bugler
01-09-2014, 09:41 PM
The dark patch could easily be a graze from the bullet that passed through the horn, if the ram was broadside looking toward the shooter. Hard to tell from the photo angles but there is enough up curl on the end of the horn to make me think it likely that he is legal alright.

Ambush
01-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Were the fellas from "Long Range Pursuit" filming in the area?

That would be a tough {near} miss to swallow.

Jim Prawn
01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Were the fellas from "Long Range Pursuit" filming in the area?
That would be a tough {near} miss to swallow.

Haha! Nice one! Another "Perfect lung shot" LOL
JP

Sheephunterswife
01-22-2014, 09:26 PM
This is the ram my husband shot at. You guys have the story mostly right! He watched this ram for a while and was up opening day... The shot was taken and the ram took off. He watched for this ram for the rest of the season, but no one saw him. It wasn't until this picture showed up around town did he realized he didn't make a miss, nor wound/kill. This ram is to my husband as the crocodile is to captin hook - illusive and a tease! To say he was disappointed is an understatement. Next seasons hunt should be interesting...

yama49
01-22-2014, 09:51 PM
This is the ram my husband shot at. You guys have the story mostly right! He watched this ram for a while and was up opening day... The shot was taken and the ram took off. He watched for this ram for the rest of the season, but no one saw him. It wasn't until this picture showed up around town did he realized he didn't make a miss, nor wound/kill. This ram is to my husband as the crocodile is to captin hook - illusive and a tease! To say he was disappointed is an understatement. Next seasons hunt should be interesting...

Well it has some character now, good luck to your husband next season..

Ddog
01-23-2014, 09:43 AM
i thought that was the case, lots of time spent on that ram, well at least your husband knows that he lives and it will make a great story when he gets him this season.
i never thought for a second that someone would have tried to harvest him illegally knowing the area he is in..
did he take 2 shots at that ram?
the ram sure looked to be in good health when he was running away from us.

Sheephunterswife
01-23-2014, 07:20 PM
One shot and definitely legal. He was hunting with a partner, both are experienced sheep hunters, and both watched this ram for some time to make sure. Honestly I hope he gets him next year - you bet that ram will be a great story on the wall!

Ddog
01-23-2014, 08:05 PM
thats awesome,, thanks for the info,, it was one of those things that you could speculate on for hours, now we know.
cheers

calvin L
01-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Man where do I find a wife that wants a sheep on the wall . Do you have a sister ? LOL That will be great when your hubby gets to hold that ram . Good luck to him next year . There are many sheep that have a bullet whole in the horn . Its hard not to look at the horns even aiming :mrgreen:

bighornbob
01-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Man where do I find a wife that wants a sheep on the wall . Do you have a sister ? LOL That will be great when your hubby gets to hold that ram . Good luck to him next year . There are many sheep that have a bullet whole in the horn . Its hard not to look at the horns even aiming :mrgreen:

Hopefully no one from the interior comes up that way on a elk hunt and decides he wants another sheep on the wall.:tongue:

BHB

Sheephunterswife
01-25-2014, 09:45 PM

Its a work in progress... He would say more needs to be on the walls, he definetly could fill them. But this sheep is different! It's the first time I've been around for a hunt like this. Getting to talk about this ram on our wall is far better then having to keep hearing about the one he lost 😜
I think this sheep is getting known enough that the hunt next year will be even that more intense. Many in this area already know about him, the race is on...

j270wsm
05-18-2014, 01:59 PM
Is your husband a fabricator??