PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Great Whitetail Area

Grinder
01-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Been hunting the Christian valley for 10 years for whities, we've done well but nothing boon and crocket, looking for a new place to go for big whitetails. Any suggestions.

GoatGuy
01-09-2014, 07:24 AM
If you want B&C I would start east of the Rockies or in the Peace.

If you want BC book, just buy a copy and have a look through it.

Muliechaser
01-09-2014, 07:44 AM
There is booneys there dont foolyourself ....

bridger
01-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Things are looking grim for old buck survival in the peace this winter.

monasheemountainman
01-09-2014, 09:02 AM
I know of at least 2 b&c whitetail bucks that came from the Okanagan this year

Rackmastr
01-09-2014, 09:10 AM
I'd say central Alberta or central/southern SK if you're set on finding a B&C buck.

Northern AB and SK have had a hard time and numbers are way down.

Course if you're talkin BC, thats another story! But you did ask the best place to find a B&C buck....

Islandeer
01-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Hunt your usual CV spots, just hunt it differant,hunt higher than you do now, or sit longer. check out Ouera and Coaches Whitey thread.

coach
01-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Where do you live? How much time are you will/able to dedicate to year round scouting? There's big whitetails living all over this province. Definitely some booners in the area you have been hunting for the last 10 years. Lots of people here to assist you with "how" to find and hunt WT's. IMO - that's a lot more important than telling you "where" to hunt.

coach
01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
This is your 6th post and second thread asking the same question. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?102148-Whitetails-in-bc&p=1427213#post1427213

what are YOU doing to contribute to HBC? :confused:

TheProvider
01-09-2014, 10:45 AM
In those 10yrs I bet you probably have shot a couple that would grow to B&C. Dedication to shoot one, they arent behind every tree in a particular region.

Rackmastr
01-09-2014, 11:44 AM
This is your 6th post and second thread asking the same question. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?102148-Whitetails-in-bc&p=1427213#post1427213

LOL....gotta love that.

leadpillproductions
01-09-2014, 11:49 AM
You would think he asked where the best sheep spot is . To the op question head up to the peace area

finngun
01-09-2014, 12:19 PM

what are YOU doing to contribute to HBC? :confused: ////// hey be nice...we are all all getting old..
don't remember so good ,,,what happend yesterday,,or day before...or :confused: when

bugler
01-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Christian Valley

aggiehunter
01-09-2014, 11:48 PM
the best part of hunting is finding your own spots....

Muliechaser
01-10-2014, 07:52 AM
[QUOTE=monasheemountainman;1444839]I know of at least 2 b&c whitetail bucks that came from the Okanagan this year[/QUOTE

More than two!!! Ah everybodys right theres no wt in the nobucknoggan. B&c ? U must be crazy lmao

bc_buckshot
01-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Deer are everywhere and big bucks are always where you think or dont wanna look. Just gotta see them and put time and effort in. Nothing is free.

Muliechaser
01-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Deer are everywhere and big bucks are always where you think or dont wanna look. Just gotta see them and put time and effort in. Nothing is free.

Thats right ,its all about how u hunt them, and you bet they are closer than most think . Often areas that dont look good or are to hard to access or some bs like that. Put in the time change up your game think like a deer.

Wild one
01-10-2014, 09:13 AM
There are big WT in region 8,4,3,5 and 7 and lots of big bucks come out of CV. I would say it is more likely you're hunting tactics than it is the area you are hunting. The more time you can invest in patterning wt the better chance you have. In my opinion your best chance would be hunting them during the rut. Calling can be really good but do find CV wt can be call shy. Find a travel rout away from the roads and sit all day. Thick bush and short range shooting is what to expect. If you find a good spot but it is really thick a tree stand will give you a better field of vision. Have more than 1 location to sit choose your location for the day according to the wind.

CV wt are hiding from pressure and most of the big wt are nocturnal. Find where they move during day light and pick a spot away from pressure. Hiking or small boat works to get away from others.

Alberta was mentioned and no doubt there are more big WT their but if you don't hunt them correctly you won't find them there either

hunterdon
01-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Ill just add one thing Grinder. If it is truly important for you to get a B and C buck, then you must be prepared to get no buck. No matter where you hunt, you've got to hold off to the last hour of the season and accept the fact that you probably won't cancel out your tag. If you can do that, then you just might get that buck. Unless of course, lady luck crosses your path, which for some does occasionally.

Salty
01-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Ill just add one thing Grinder. If it is truly important for you to get a B and C buck, then you must be prepared to get no buck.

This. ^ Five years and counting here. And I couldn't GAF about B and C or P and Y or A & W or whatever else. I'm waiting for a real nice mature buck. They don't grow on trees and you have to watch a lot of bucks walk to get there.

hunterdon
01-10-2014, 11:22 AM
This. ^ Five years and counting here. And I couldn't GAF about B and C or P and Y or A & W or whatever else. I'm waiting for a real nice mature buck. They don't grow on trees and you have to watch a lot of bucks walk to get there.

A&W ??? Oh that's that big funny bear. :-D You got that right, they don't grow on trees, but they're sure good at hiding behind the trees.

sawmill
01-10-2014, 11:33 AM
I do pretty good around here,no B&C but nice 5x5`s.I usually get them in the first few days of the season or in the rut.After the first week of opening they seem to smarten up and get all nocturnal but they dummy up in late Nov.If I find a good group of does I stick to that spot,day after day and eventually one of the big guys makes a mistake and comes out too early or stays out too late.I get so I can reckognize the individual does after a while.I quit running all over the country,waste of gas but it gets a little nerve racking when you get down to the last week or less.This (last)falls buck made his mistake at dusk of the second last day.
Find the does and stick with them.

BearStump
01-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Ya, I've begun to realize that buck size is a direct result of time put in. Obviously with an exception here or there. But I've got a friend who hunts the same fricken places that I hunt and every year he shoots a monster blacktail out of there and tells me about 2 or 3 more 4 pointers that he let go. When I go there the biggest buck I've killed is a spike buck.??? But he spends alot of hours up there all summer with trailcams and topo maps. He probably spends 3 days to my one in the area during hunting season. He really gets to know the bucks that live there, when I usually just go up when I get a chance between family and work and hope for the best.

This is why some people,(lucky people), move to the area's that they like to hunt. So that they do have the time to run out in the'backyard' and put out cams and change sd cards etc etc I'm not in this category right now, but I plan to be once my kids get a bit older and I have the time to spend.

dana
01-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Kansas, Missouri, Ohio, Alberta, Saskatchewan

coach
01-10-2014, 09:52 PM

And if all that fails.... Try the internet. :-D

358mag
01-10-2014, 09:55 PM
the best part of hunting is finding your own spots....

Come on Aggie now a days its all about instant success . Nothing about doing your homework and spending time out in the hills enjoying and finding your own special spots.
They still need longer season more liberal bag limits and if there still not successful lets blame the Guide Outfitters or..............:wink::wink:

Muliechaser
01-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Come on Aggie now a days its all about instant success . Nothing about doing your homework and spending time out in the hills enjoying and finding your own special spots.
They still need longer season more liberal bag limits and if there still not successful lets blame the Guide Outfitters or..............:wink::wink:

Ya all these darn road hunters and guides shoot all the deer theres none left , so everybody should stop hunting lol . :-D

WKCotts
01-11-2014, 08:48 PM

Forgot the king... Wisconsin. Check the book

dana
01-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Also forgot Illinois.

Drillbit
01-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Pulp mill bucks are usually pretty big too.